TX Anti-Abortion Law

neeneko

Re: TX Anti-Abortion Law

Post by neeneko »

It does fit in with the rest of their worldview though. Think about how they talk about gun violence and 'criminals', as if crimes are committed by some other species that has always been committing crimes and there is no transition from 'non-criminal' to 'criminal'. Rape is only committed by criminals and thus if you keep criminals locked up they will not be committing crimes. Conversely, if they are not a criminal, then whatever they did was not rape.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I think there may be a silver lining in all this... TX went so over the rails... and people around the country are seeing it. If TX thought they were going to help overturn R v W with this -- surprise. Bad move.
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:59 pm I think there may be a silver lining in all this... TX went so over the rails... and people around the country are seeing it. If TX thought they were going to help overturn R v W with this -- surprise. Bad move.
Care to explain this one?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:11 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:59 pm I think there may be a silver lining in all this... TX went so over the rails... and people around the country are seeing it. If TX thought they were going to help overturn R v W with this -- surprise. Bad move.
Because the courts are going quash this, in part, due to national outrage of the public.(including me, a male with no children)
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I could really see it going either way. There has been a lot of backlash, but it is questionable how effective is being. Over the last decade or two we have been seeing a recurring pattern with the GoP and religious right where they keep testing boundaries and feeling out how much support they actually need, with the general result being increasingly radical action showing minimal impact on their ability to maintain power. Their coalition size has been shrinking but their support size has not.

In other words, while risky, this might be an effective power play by showing what they can do AND not lose any support that matters or even come out ahead. Their core loves this stuff, their fringe keeps supporting them, and they do not really care how much their detractors hate them since that blowback just pushes their own people closer... and after the Obama->Trump McConnal judicial appointment muck, they have so many of their supporters in positions of power within the judicial branch that they might not even get any real negative effects there, only PR wins.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm He apparently doesn't realize that someone isn't a rapist until they actually, you know, rape someone. By that logic, if there are 1000 rapists in TX and he takes every single one of them off the streets, that means that there were.......ta da....1000 rapes anyway.
Oh, there you go making sense again.
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:17 pm
filly wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:11 pm
Because the courts are going quash this, in part, due to national outrage of the public.(including me, a male with no children)
Hmm, you think SCOTUS will ultimately decide this is unconstitutonal after they had no problem letting the law take effect? You know that there is an abortion case from Mississippi up for oral argument this term? You know that Barrett, Kavanaugh, Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are rabid right-to- lifers?
filly

Post by filly »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm He apparently doesn't realize that someone isn't a rapist until they actually, you know, rape someone. By that logic, if there are 1000 rapists in TX and he takes every single one of them off the streets, that means that there were.......ta da....1000 rapes anyway.
:winner:

Not to mention that dumb Greggy was the Attorney General of Texas for 13 years and he didn't get rid of the rapists then. And he's been Gubnor for 6 years. Still lots of rapists in Texas.

This response was akin to the kid who didn't read the book and was presenting his book report anyway.

He's a dumbfuck. I've been screaming that from the rooftops for a very long time. Now all of America gets to see it.
bob

Post by bob »

filly wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:34 pm Hmm, you think SCOTUS will ultimately decide this is unconstitutonal after they had no problem letting the law take effect? You know that there is an abortion case from Mississippi up for oral argument this term? You know that Barrett, Kavanaugh, Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are rabid right-to- lifers?
Too also: There's two paths to SCOTUS: Through the 5th Cir. or through SCoTX.

Neither court has been, shall we say, receptive to many arguments about women's right to bodily autonomy.
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bob wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:07 pm
filly wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:34 pm Hmm, you think SCOTUS will ultimately decide this is unconstitutonal after they had no problem letting the law take effect? You know that there is an abortion case from Mississippi up for oral argument this term? You know that Barrett, Kavanaugh, Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are rabid right-to- lifers?
Too also: There's two paths to SCOTUS: Through the 5th Cir. or through SCoTX.

Neither court has been, shall we say, receptive to many arguments about women's right to bodily autonomy.
Put a gun in it! Call it a holster.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

And South of the Border:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... eme-court/
MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s supreme court voted unanimously on Tuesday to decriminalize abortion, a striking step in a country with one of the world’s largest Catholic populations and a move that contrasts sharply with tighter restrictions introduced across the border in Texas.

Eight of the 11 supreme court judges had expressed support for decriminalization in arguments that began Monday, making the decision virtually inevitable.

The vote comes as a powerful women’s movement is transforming Mexico, where female politicians now make up half of Congress. While abortion remains illegal in most of Latin America, there has been a surge in demonstrations demanding more rights for women, particularly focused on rising violence.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 pm Good for Portland.

This is an incredibly bizarre statement. When asked why sex assault victims who get pregnant have to carry to term under TX law, first Abbott says they have 6 weeks to get abortion, then says he is going to eliminate rape by arresting all future rapists.
He is going to eliminate all rapists by re-defining rape to exclude date-rape (the slut asked for it!), marital rape (the wife is his property!), rape on non-human brown people, acquaintance rape (she wanted it!), and even child rape (it's a matter that should be handled in the family!)
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:48 pm My family has a similar story. My uncle died in the womb at around 8 months due to an infection. My grandmother was denied an "abortion" and was forced to carry his rotting corpse for a week until he was finally stillborn. The infection permanently scarred her uterus and rendered her barren. My grandparents were planning for four kids, but only had my mom and my aunt before this happened. My grandmother lived, but her health (physical and mental) was never the same, and she passed two weeks after I met my wife (the same day as our first date). I blame her early(ish) death on the forced-birthers.
Thanks for this story. Sad.
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Ditto. I was 21. Our first child. The child, a daughter, died at seven months in utero. She was stillborn at nine months. Not a fun time.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

How sad. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Annrc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 pm Ditto. I was 21. Our first child. The child, a daughter, died at seven months in utero. She was stillborn at nine months. Not a fun time.
So sad, so sorry.

Our third child died in utero, the Catholic church had it so forced into my ex-wife that she couldn't get in abortion that she was at loggerheads with the doctors who said get it in the next 24 hours (or some short period, I can't remember exactly) or else. We tried to get one on ones with the priests at three different churches in addition to ours and couldn't get anyone to hear our emergency plea about whether she would be doomed to hell or what. Ended up getting the procedure anyway, everything was ok. Except her blind faith in the church was severely shaken, which wasn't really a bad thing if you ask me. Glad we were in a state where we didn't have to worry about the law in addition to everything else, because everything else was pretty heavy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:grouphug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:32 pm
Annrc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 pm Ditto. I was 21. Our first child. The child, a daughter, died at seven months in utero. She was stillborn at nine months. Not a fun time.
So sad, so sorry.

Our third child died in utero, the Catholic church had it so forced into my ex-wife that she couldn't get in abortion that she was at loggerheads with the doctors who said get it in the next 24 hours (or some short period, I can't remember exactly) or else. We tried to get one on ones with the priests at three different churches in addition to ours and couldn't get anyone to hear our emergency plea about whether she would be doomed to hell or what. Ended up getting the procedure anyway, everything was ok. Except her blind faith in the church was severely shaken, which wasn't really a bad thing if you ask me. Glad we were in a state where we didn't have to worry about the law in addition to everything else, because everything else was pretty heavy.
Off Topic
I have a friend who was a Catholic who went to her priest (in the 70s) for permission to use birth control when she married. He followed her out the front door of the church, yelling at her. Her only child was born nine months after their wedding. She never went into a Catholic Church again.

My son-in-law's grandmother was a staunch Catholic and went to church until she died. Where she parted company with the Church: abortion. She had a good friend who died from a botched one.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:brokenheart:
:bighug:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My love and empathy to all who have faced this choice. It is never taken lightly, no matter the circumstances.
slq

Post by slq »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:27 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 pm Abbott can start by arresting all Republican politicians.
:rimshot:

:?: :?: for all. If I understand this correctly, a woman can get an abortion before six week mark. How do all these would be abortion police/bounty hunters know the woman is less than six weeks before they start reporting it to get the money?
And there's an ugly discovery issue in cases brought under this new law.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I really don't think they have actually spent much time thinking about the various consequences of this law. They were just so happy to have something that they thought they could get past this SC.

Other states ought not to jump into following this. But what do I know? :shh:
tek

Post by tek »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 am Other states ought not to jump into following this. But what do I know? :shh:
well, it is all theater so whatever.

Unfortunately, it is theater with live ammunition :mad:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 am I really don't think they have actually spent much time thinking about the various consequences of this law. They were just so happy to have something that they thought they could get past this SC.
Hrm.. sorta returning to neonzx's thoughts,... I think historically a lot of these anti abortion laws are not really designed to be used, but instead put in place with the full knowledge that they will be struck down. Politically they are a gold mine.. you get all the political advantage of passing strict laws that please your authoritarian base, but never have to deal with the details of the consequences of the laws plus you can always blame 'the liberals' for why their fantasy law did not work out as they imagined.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My sympathy. My mother, a Catholic, had a child die in utero at 8 months. She had the same "NO!" experience with the church. Misogyny and authoritarianism at its worst.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”