TX Anti-Abortion Law

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: TX Anti-Abortion Law

Post by Slim Cognito »

What I see:
E-e67ybXEAEkP-p.jpeg
E-e67ybXEAEkP-p.jpeg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://womensmarch.com/

not much info yet but worth a 'mark.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm in. Awaiting further details, but ready to march.

:resist:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
lunaluz

Post by lunaluz »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:31 pm I'm in. Mask and all. I have my protest sign idea ready to go.

granddaughters.jpg

(and the Halloween stores are opening. I can't wait to put this together.)
Thank you Slim, I stole that for twitter. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
slq

Post by slq »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:24 pm I'm in. Awaiting further details, but ready to march.

Me too!
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
lunaluz

Post by lunaluz »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:31 pm I'm in. Mask and all. I have my protest sign idea ready to go.

granddaughters.jpg

Slim I posted that to my twitter feed... it blew up...I have to say I was startled...I couldn't even keep up with notifications....Thank you it really struck a nerve...OCT. 2 I will be marching...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

lunaluz wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:10 pm

granddaughters.jpg

Slim I posted that to my twitter feed... it blew up...I have to say I was startled...I couldn't even keep up with notifications....Thank you it really struck a nerve...OCT. 2 I will be marching...
:biggrin:

ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 05-01-23.png
Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 05-01-23.png (18.07 KiB) Viewed 993 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
June bug

Post by June bug »

slq wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:16 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:24 pm I'm in. Awaiting further details, but ready to march.

Me too!
Me three!
Lani

Post by Lani »

I can't believe we are still fighting this shit. I started fighting in the 70's. I had police protection (allegedly) for 3 months. Didn't stop the threats. I stopped answering my phone. And now decades years later women still are being forced to carry an embryo to birth. I just can't ... cope...
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Sometimes I peek at the FB page of one of my Trumper kitten fosters (when I'm feeling like I need a blood pressure boost).

Once, she had a picture of a 32-35 week preemie, claiming it was a 23 weeker and that it was the type of baby that was being aborted by the thousands. :mad:

These stupid people don't even know what the decision in R v W says, that what is allowed depends on the trimester.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Everybody here is probably aware of the story told by Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) of why abortion needs to be safe, legal and available, but just in case, here it is:
In the late 1980s in Detroit, Peters and his then wife, Heidi, were pregnant with their second child, a baby they very much wanted. Heidi was four months along when her water broke, leaving the fetus without amniotic fluid—a condition it could not possibly survive. The doctor told the Peters to go home and wait for a miscarriage to happen naturally.

But it didn’t happen. They went back to the hospital the next day, and the doctor detected a faint heartbeat. He recommended an abortion, because the fetus still had no chance of survival, but it wasn’t an option due to a hospital policy banning the procedure. So he sent the couple again home to wait for a miscarriage. “The mental anguish someone goes through is intense,” Peters says, “trying to have a miscarriage for a child that was wanted.”

As they waited, Heidi’s health deteriorated. When she returned to the hospital on the third day, after another night without a natural miscarriage, the doctor told her the situation was dire. She could lose her uterus in a matter of hours if she wasn’t able to have an abortion, and if she became septic from the uterine infection, she could die.

The doctor appealed to the hospital’s board for an exception to their anti-abortion policy and was denied. “I still vividly remember he left a message on the answering machine saying, ‘They refused to give me permission, not based on good medical practice, simply based on politics. I recommend you immediately find another physician who can do this procedure quickly,’” Peters recalls.

The Peters were able to get into another hospital right away because they were friends with its chief administrator. Heidi was rushed into an emergency abortion that saved her uterus and possibly her life. The whole experience was “painful and traumatic,” Heidi shared in a statement. “If it weren’t for urgent and critical medical care, I could have lost my life.”
https://www.elle.com/culture/career-pol ... -abortion/

She came so close to dying of sepsis. Lucky for them, they had connections.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Sequoia32 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:20 pm Everybody here is probably aware of the story told by Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) of why abortion needs to be safe, legal and available, but just in case, here it is:
In the late 1980s in Detroit, Peters and his then wife, Heidi, were pregnant with their second child, a baby they very much wanted. Heidi was four months along when her water broke, leaving the fetus without amniotic fluid—a condition it could not possibly survive. The doctor told the Peters to go home and wait for a miscarriage to happen naturally.

But it didn’t happen. They went back to the hospital the next day, and the doctor detected a faint heartbeat. He recommended an abortion, because the fetus still had no chance of survival, but it wasn’t an option due to a hospital policy banning the procedure. So he sent the couple again home to wait for a miscarriage. “The mental anguish someone goes through is intense,” Peters says, “trying to have a miscarriage for a child that was wanted.”

As they waited, Heidi’s health deteriorated. When she returned to the hospital on the third day, after another night without a natural miscarriage, the doctor told her the situation was dire. She could lose her uterus in a matter of hours if she wasn’t able to have an abortion, and if she became septic from the uterine infection, she could die.

The doctor appealed to the hospital’s board for an exception to their anti-abortion policy and was denied. “I still vividly remember he left a message on the answering machine saying, ‘They refused to give me permission, not based on good medical practice, simply based on politics. I recommend you immediately find another physician who can do this procedure quickly,’” Peters recalls.

The Peters were able to get into another hospital right away because they were friends with its chief administrator. Heidi was rushed into an emergency abortion that saved her uterus and possibly her life. The whole experience was “painful and traumatic,” Heidi shared in a statement. “If it weren’t for urgent and critical medical care, I could have lost my life.”
https://www.elle.com/culture/career-pol ... -abortion/

She came so close to dying of sepsis. Lucky for them, they had connections.
My family has a similar story. My uncle died in the womb at around 8 months due to an infection. My grandmother was denied an "abortion" and was forced to carry his rotting corpse for a week until he was finally stillborn. The infection permanently scarred her uterus and rendered her barren. My grandparents were planning for four kids, but only had my mom and my aunt before this happened. My grandmother lived, but her health (physical and mental) was never the same, and she passed two weeks after I met my wife (the same day as our first date). I blame her early(ish) death on the forced-birthers.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am in!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ortion-law
United Nations human rights monitors have strongly condemned the state of Texas for its new anti-abortion law, which they say violates international law by denying women control over their own bodies and endangering their lives.

In damning remarks to the Guardian, Melissa Upreti, the chair of the UN’s working group on discrimination against women and girls, criticized the new Texas law, SB 8, as “structural sex and gender-based discrimination at its worst”.

She warned that the legislation, which bans abortions at about six weeks, could force abortion providers underground and drive women to seek unsafe procedures that could prove fatal.

“This new law will make abortion unsafe and deadly, and create a whole new set of risks for women and girls. It is profoundly discriminatory and violates a number of rights guaranteed under international law,” the human rights lawyer from Nepal said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.politicususa.com/2021/09/07 ... n-law.html
The city of Portland, Oregon will vote on an emergency resolution banning trade with the state of Texas in response to the state’s abortion law.

The law prohibits virtually all abortions after a heartbeat is detected, which is typically after six weeks of pregnancy. It also essentially deputizes citizens by empowering them to file lawsuits against abortion providers suspected of violating the new policy.

“The Portland City Council stands unified in its belief that all people should have the right to choose if and when they carry a pregnancy and that the decisions they make are complex, difficult, and unique to their circumstances,” Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler announced.

He added: “We urge other leaders and elected bodies around the nation to join us in condemning the actions of the Texas state government.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Good for Portland.

This is an incredibly bizarre statement. When asked why sex assault victims who get pregnant have to carry to term under TX law, first Abbott says they have 6 weeks to get abortion, then says he is going to eliminate rape by arresting all future rapists.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

He got applause for saying he would get all rapists off the street BEFORE they rape? Good luck with that. Seriously, good luck with that.

Do all rapists sign a pledge or something?

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Abbott can start by arresting all Republican politicians.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 pm Abbott can start by arresting all Republican politicians.
:rimshot:

:?: :?: for all. If I understand this correctly, a woman can get an abortion before six week mark. How do all these would be abortion police/bounty hunters know the woman is less than six weeks before they start reporting it to get the money?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And can a rape victim sue Abbott because he didn't get all the rapists off the street in time?

ImageImageImage x4
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:27 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 pm Abbott can start by arresting all Republican politicians.
:rimshot:

:?: :?: for all. If I understand this correctly, a woman can get an abortion before six week mark. How do all these would be abortion police/bounty hunters know the woman is less than six weeks before they start reporting it to get the money?
If I understand correctly (IANAL), the accuser doesn't have to know or prove.

The person being sued has to prove the woman/girl was less than 6 weeks along.

If the accuser wins they get $10K + lawyers' fees if they lose, they still get lawyers' fees but no $10K.

The person sued loses either way.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 pm
This is an incredibly bizarre statement. When asked why sex assault victims who get pregnant have to carry to term under TX law, first Abbott says they have 6 weeks to get abortion, then says he is going to eliminate rape by arresting all future rapists.
Well, I guess if they are going to have a law that says people can be sued just for planning to get an abortion, maybe they are extending rape laws to just thinking about raping someone? I can not imagine how that would get asymmetrically applied.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

He apparently doesn't realize that someone isn't a rapist until they actually, you know, rape someone. By that logic, if there are 1000 rapists in TX and he takes every single one of them off the streets, that means that there were.......ta da....1000 rapes anyway.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”