Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Patrick Kelley Victims v. U.S. Air Force

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Patrick Kelley Victims v. U.S. Air Force

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.cnbc.com
Federal judge rules Air Force largely responsible for 2017 Texas church mass shooting
PUBLISHED WED, JUL 7 20218:34 PM EDT

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled that the U.S. Air Force is largely responsible for a 2017 mass shooting at a Texas church that killed 26 because it failed to report the shooter’s criminal history to the FBI.

The decision concludes that the Air Force is 60% responsible for the shooting, noting that the military branch’s failure to submit Devin Patrick Kelley’s domestic violence charges in a federal database allowed him to purchase firearms that he should have been barred from owning.

“Had the Government done its job and properly reported Kelley’s information into the background check system—it is more likely than not that Kelley would have been deterred from carrying out the Church shooting,” U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez wrote in the court ruling.

Rodriquez noted in the court ruling that no other individual, including Kelley’s parents or partners, knew as much as the government did about his violent history and the violence he was capable of.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Patrick Kelley Victims v. U.S. Air Force

Post by Maybenaut »

We talked about Kelley the other day in a different thread. I was curious about his conviction, but the appellate record is thin. The only thing I could find was a notation in the “Daily Journal” at the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces denying his petition for review of his case. It had the Air Force docket number, but I couldn’t find the decision of theAir Force Court of Criminal Appeals on Lexis or the Air Force Court’s website.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”