Sat
No votes
Sun
No votes

Total votes: 45

FiveAcres

Re: Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

Post by FiveAcres »

When it was televised, I was afraid that it would turn into a circus. However, it didn't and I think they did a good job of letting the general public see what the jury was seeing.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Annrc wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:11 pm Totally agree LM K. I also went to Breitbart. The division in our country is unbelievable. The remarks are devastating and disgusting.
[RWNJ]The country was unified when people knew their place and stayed there.[/RWNJ]
101010 :towel:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

because of it's timing and the issue..

Police shooting of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant labelled 'tragic' by White House

A knife can be deadly..

A gun far more so..
(and also to others near the one aimed at)

The decision to shoot, rather than use the gun as a club to subdue, is so situational dependent...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-22/ ... /100086164

As tragic as this is..
and for all my opposition to the use of deadly force when there are alternatives,
in this case..
it appears justified.
even though I wish that it didn't happen.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I find it terrifying that the cop shot the teen when the teen was standing right in front of another person.

However, Sugar Magnolia will be able to clarify this if she wishes to do so.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

LM K wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm I find it terrifying that the cop shot the teen when the teen was standing right in front of another person.

Off Topic
I feel awful that I haven’t watched any of these videos. I didn’t watch a single George Floyd video, although I did see a lot of stills. I didn’t watch this video either, and I probably won’t. Part of me thinks that since I have an obligation to be a well-informed citizen, I should pay attention for the sake of the victims if for no other reason. But I’ve also spent a great deal of my professional life dealing with some of the worst behavior that mankind has to offer, and I’ve pretty much reached my saturation point.

I’m glad that some of ya’ll are taking it for the team, so to speak, and describing what’s in these videos. I, for one, really appreciate it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

LM K wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm I find it terrifying that the cop shot the teen when the teen was standing right in front of another person.

Early reports (which may turn out to be false) are that she was attacking another girl with the knife.

If that is the case, it may (repeat MAY) be that he saved the other girl's life.

So far, the facts seem to be quite a bit different than in the George Floyd case. But, as I said, early reports are sometimes wrong or misleading.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Early reports (which may turn out to be false) are that she was attacking another girl with the knife.

If that is the case, it may (repeat MAY) be that he saved the other girl's life.

So far, the facts seem to be quite a bit different than in the George Floyd case. But, as I said, early reports are sometimes wrong or misleading.
The police video cuts just before the shooting, so it's unclear to me about the knife. It is possible that this was a justified shooting. I hope to see a complete video.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Dave from down under

The footage in the link I posted shows her with the knife attacking the other girl when she is shot.
(there is a full speed and then slow speed repeat - it isn't as graphic as a lot that is shown on the news, the knife is evident and in hand)

The proximity of the girl being attacked both argues for and against shooting the girl wielding the knife.

IMO in the time that it would have taken for the officer to reach the struggle, one or more knife wounds could have been inflicted.
Dave from down under

The final frames where the girl (black top, blue jeans) with the knife is thrusting the knife at the girl/woman in pink who was against the car is shown.

18 seconds to register the situation and respond.
Including registering that the girl with the knife had just tried to slash the girl in the skirt, who only avoided it by falling backwards.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I live in Cleveland, more than 100 miles from Columbus, so I have no personal knowledge of this shooting.

However, in the few cases where I have had personal knowledge of a news story (never a shooting, mind you) it has been my experience that, especially in early reports, the news media gets, at best half of the story. Further, the half that they do get is half wrong.

Therefore, I try not to form any firm opinions on any news story I read, particularly regarding an event like this, until it has had a little time to "age", if you will.

In a few days, more details will emerge and it will be easier to come to an informed opinion.

As tragic as the death of any sixteen year old girl is, I hope that this does not turn out to be another George Floyd type incident. Even if it turns out that the officer was justified, there will be a lot of people eager to second guess his actions.
Dave from down under

Agreed

This is why body cameras must be mandatory for all police.

It is also why the early release of the images that were is important.

Yes - images can be taken out of context - yes they can be sensationalized (snuff flick type).

However stopping the footage at when the shots were fired was appropriate - because it covered just enough to put the event into context.

There will now be an investigation, it may be that first impressions are wrong.

BUT it may be that doing so addresses concern/anger before more damage is done.

ps. IIRC In NSW an investigation occurs when-ever a police officer draws their gun.
and not sure if this has gone ahead..
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... omatically
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

My initial impression is that this was a good shoot. (although I don't know why the officer fired 4 times).
Dave from down under

4 seems... excessive..
but I understand how easy that is to do with an automatic and adrenaline.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, I'm not seeing any real controversy on this one.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Like maybenaut, I haven’t watched the video and probably won’t.

As you say, initial reports are often wrong or incomplete. The first thing I heard about it, just minutes after it happened, was that her grandmother had already taken the knife from the girl before the police arrived.

I’m guessing this is not borne out by the video?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kate520 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm Like maybenaut, I haven’t watched the video and probably won’t.

As you say, initial reports are often wrong or incomplete. The first thing I heard about it, just minutes after it happened, was that her grandmother had already taken the knife from the girl before the police arrived.

Doesn't seem to be. Time will tell.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kate520 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm As you say, initial reports are often wrong or incomplete. The first thing I heard about it, just minutes after it happened, was that her grandmother had already taken the knife from the girl before the police arrived.

Correct. She still had it, swinging it around. Watch the bodycam video.
Dave from down under

The Grandmother may have taken away the 1st knife, but in the video she has a knife until shot.

She may then have dropped that knife when shot.

and so may not have had the knife on her thereafter.

Who ever (a male?) that was kicking the girl on the ground also is part of the events.. and likely not in a good way.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I remembered another officer was convicted after killing a Black kid and wondered what happened to him. He’s not done well in prison.

https://news.wttw.com/2019/11/26/jason- ... al-custody
“He remains under the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Corrections, but is not in our custody,” she said. “For safety and security purposes, the Department does not discuss details concerning the placement of offenders who have transferred under the terms of the Interstate Corrections Compact Agreement.”

Although he was convicted in state court, Van Dyke has been held in federal prison due to the notoriety of his case. He was initially moved to a prison in Connecticut following his sentencing in January, but was transferred to Otisville after he was attacked by his fellow inmates in February.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chauvin is going to face the same issues. I could see some angry people subjecting him to the same treatment he dished out to Floyd. Not saying I hope, wish, or condone that in any way whatsoever. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in some country club federal prison because of threats on his life.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
tek

Post by tek »

just a little more proof that were far, far away from this being over..

Fall River mayor says post criticizing George Floyd shared on police department Facebook page is ‘unacceptable’
The post, which has since been deleted, was shared from a pro-law enforcement account and said “Chauvin immediately stood and calmly placed his hands behind his back. Imagine where we’d be if George had done the same,” according to The Herald News.

[...]

“Chief Jeff Cardoza has been diligently working to change the culture of the Fall River Police Department and I will personally be following up with the Chief to address lingering opinions like those shared today,” Coogan continued. “While I am saddened by the harm that the statement has caused, it has reminded us of the hard work we have yet to do to create transparent, strong relationships between the FRPD and our community.”

In a separate Facebook post, the police department said the post was shared by personnel who meant to post to his or her own page.
https://www.masslive.com/boston/2021/04 ... table.html
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek

Post by tek »

too easy: "Where does George Floyd go to get the rest of his life back?"

Hey Dersh: Do we have an appeal filed yet? If not, your yapping is speculative.
Let's see some motions and filings, not your smug piehole on TV.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Ex-cops tend to not be very popular with their fellow inmates.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Just gonna drop this here for completeness.
'I tried to stop the bleeding': Family devastated after 13-year-old fatally stabbed by former friend
CINCINNATI —
A family is broken after a 13-year-old girl was stabbed to death in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The teen's father said the pain is immeasurable and described her as the glue that held them all together.
Investigators said the teen was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital where she died after the stabbing Monday night.

"I held her. I watched her as she died. I watched her, you know. All I could do was just hold her, hold her," Maurice Jackson said.

Devastation, heartache and loss are all emotions that Jackson, Nyaira Givens' father, is feeling after her sudden death.

"I tried. I tried to stop the bleeding," Jackson said.

Cincinnati police said Givens was stabbed to death by another 13-year-old girl during a fight near the family's home.

:snippity:
https://www.wapt.com/article/ohio-famil ... lSKf8K9N-w
Full story at the link.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”