Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

How long will the Jury deliberate?

Monday
2%
Tuesday
38%
Wed
38%
Thurs
20%
Friday
2%
Sat
No votes
Sun
No votes

Total votes: 45

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 am Just gonna drop this here for completeness.
'I tried to stop the bleeding': Family devastated after 13-year-old fatally stabbed by former friend
CINCINNATI —
A family is broken after a 13-year-old girl was stabbed to death in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The teen's father said the pain is immeasurable and described her as the glue that held them all together.
Investigators said the teen was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital where she died after the stabbing Monday night.

"I held her. I watched her as she died. I watched her, you know. All I could do was just hold her, hold her," Maurice Jackson said.

Devastation, heartache and loss are all emotions that Jackson, Nyaira Givens' father, is feeling after her sudden death.

"I tried. I tried to stop the bleeding," Jackson said.

Cincinnati police said Givens was stabbed to death by another 13-year-old girl during a fight near the family's home.

:snippity:
https://www.wapt.com/article/ohio-famil ... lSKf8K9N-w
Full story at the link.
That is tragic. Two families destroyed. A 13 year old dead and another one likely to be imprisoned for a long time.

This makes me think about Ma'Khia Bryant's death. Knives can be fatal weapons.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

LM K wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:58 pm This makes me think about Ma'Khia Bryant's death. Knives can be fatal weapons.
That's what the 'completeness' was for.
LM K

Post by LM K »

New video of the shooting of Ma'Khia Bryant.

I’m Gonna Stab the F*ck Out of You’: Garage Camera Captures New Video in Ma’Khia Bryant Shooting

A new video of the shooting
by a police officer of 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant, taken by a neighbor’s security camera, has provided additional angles of the deadly incident from Tuesday.

The neighbor, Donovan Brinson, lives across the street and had a camera in his garage. In an interview with Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner, Brinson said that he and his wife had witnessed the argument that preceded the shooting, describing how Bryant and another girl (the one seen in the video in the bright pink outfit) were “upset about something” and “exchanging words” in the front yard.

In the video, Bryant can be heard shouting, “I’m gonna stab the f*ck out of you” before she lunges at the girl in pink with what appears to be a knife in her hand. The police officer then fired four shots, hitting Bryant. Officers at the scene attempted to resuscitate her but were unsuccessful.

The neighbor, Donovan Brinson, lives across the street and had a camera in his garage. In an interview with Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner, Brinson said that he and his wife had witnessed the argument that preceded the shooting, describing how Bryant and another girl (the one seen in the video in the bright pink outfit) were “upset about something” and “exchanging words” in the front yard.

Brinson said that before the shooting, he and his wife went back in the house, and shortly thereafter, he went to get something out of his car. “As I did that one of the girls locked another girl out of the house and they said something about how dare you lock me out of my mama’s house, this is my house, too. And I just kind of thought this is going to die down. They will unlock the door and figure it out and be done and over with.”

He went back inside and about five minutes later, Brinson said, they heard the shots. Hearing no retaliation shots, he figured it was a police officer. “So I went to my laundry room and looked outside and that’s when I saw Ma’Khia on the ground and everyone else in chaos.”

Brinson said he remembered his garage camera while the police officers were trying to resuscitate Bryant, and downloaded the video and gave a copy to the police on the scene.

Faulkner asked him what was his “interpretation” of the incident, based on what he had witnessed and watching his video afterwards, of the police officer who had “nine seconds” to “deal with a volatile situation.”

Brinson replied that the cop didn’t have many choices in that moment, and “only had seconds to respond.”

“From my point of view watching this, unfortunately the whole scenario put him in a bad spot,” he continued. “He could have either not fired and the young lady in pink could have got stabbed in the neck or fatally injured and then responded and shot and that would have been two young ladies possibly dead. Or he could have responded the way that he did and unfortunately one lady lost her life in the incident that probably could have been avoided.”

“The video doesn’t lie,” Brinson concluded. “There was an altercation, he responded and he reacted with what he thought was his best judgment…He did what he thought was best.”
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:51 pm
One of the planks in the Republican platform: It didn't happen if it makes us look bad.
Il factotum
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

(shaking head) Just how stupid do they think their party members are?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:33 am (shaking head) Just how stupid do they think their party members are?
Not nearly as stupid as we think they are.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:36 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:33 am (shaking head) Just how stupid do they think their party members are?
Not nearly as stupid as we think they are.
This is classic stick and stones. We can cast stoney snark in here, but they never hit anyone. IRL, deliberately misleading people causes real harm. I am hoping soneone within the MN GOP gives him a smackdown.
LM K

Post by LM K »

I just started a new thread to discuss the shootings of Black people.
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519
LM K

Post by LM K »

Chauvin sentencing pushed back to June 25
Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who was convicted of murdering George Floyd, will be sentenced on June 25, one week later than previously expected.

According to the Hennepin County District Court's website, Chauvin will be sentenced at 1:30 p.m. CDT. He was originally scheduled to be sentenced on June 16.

Spenser Bickett, a spokesperson for the court, told The Hill that the sentence was pushed back due to a scheduling conflict.

A jury found Chauvin guilty of second- and third-degree murder as well as second-degree manslaughter on April 20 for Floyd's murder.
Chauvin will only be sentenced for the second-degree murder charge, which is the most serious charge against, according to The Associated Press. That charge alone carries a maximum of 40 years in prison.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4 ... oyd-murder
DOJ will reportedly bring federal charges against Derek Chauvin related to 2 cases

Federal prosecutors are planning to indict Derek Chauvin and three other former Minneapolis police officers on civil rights violations for their roles in the murder of George Floyd, The Star-Tribune reported. Justice Department officials spent months gathering information on Chauvin and the other officers in connection with Floyd’s death but did not make investigations public as they feared publicity would disrupt the state’s case.

According to The Star-Tribune, if Chauvin was not found guilty by the jury, federal prosecutors had a contingency plan to arrest Chauvin at the Minnesota courthouse. Under that backup plan, the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office would have charged Chauvin by criminal complaint, a process known to be quicker for federal charges as it does not require a grand jury, sources told The Star-Tribune. In that situation, the arrest would be immediate and a grand jury would later be asked for an indictment.

Federal prosecutors not only want to indict Chauvin in connection with Floyd’s death, but for a violent arrest he conducted in 2017. According to ABC News, the Justice Department was already considering these charges after court documents found that Chauvin allegedly struck a 14-year-old boy on the head with his flashlight, then grabbed him by the throat and hit him again.

He also held the child in a prone position for at least 17 minutes, The Star-Tribune reported. The incident was described in court documents by prosecutors in Floyd’s murder case to serve as evidence of Chauvin’s pattern of behavior. Like Floyd, Chauvin ignored the child’s complaints that he could not breathe.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K

Post by LM K »

:clap:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

If this juror was wearing a "get your knee off our necks" T-shirt during the summer protests in Washington, D.C., I would be amazed if the jury verdict were not reversed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chauvin-juro ... 18703.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Fuck. He did say there was a juror that had to be convinced to convict. It was a male. If the conviction gets overturned I am going to be freaking pissed. Damn this idiot.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

sterngard friegen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm If this juror was wearing a "get your knee off our necks" T-shirt during the summer protests in Washington, D.C., I would be amazed if the jury verdict were not reversed.
N.b.:
A photo, posted on social media, shows Brandon Mitchell, who is Black, attending the Aug. 28 event to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech during the 1963 March on Washington. Floyd’s brother and sister, Philonise and Bridgett Floyd, and relatives of others who have been shot by police addressed the crowd.

Mitchell said he answered “no” to two questions about demonstrations on the questionnaire sent out before jury selection.

The first question asked: “Did you, or someone close to you, participate in any of the demonstrations or marches against police brutality that took place in Minneapolis after George Floyd’s death?” The second asked: “Other than what you have already described above, have you, or anyone close to you, participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality?”

Mitchell told the Star Tribune that last summer’s protest was “100% not” a march for Floyd.

“It was directly related to MLK’s March on Washington from the ’60s … The date of the March on Washington is the date … It was literally called the anniversary of the March on Washington,” he said.
While the juror may accurately say the anniversary of MLK's speech was not a "protest[] about police use of force or police brutality," a judge could view this kind of answer as showing a lack of credibility.
Image ImageImage
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

The T-shirt is the problem.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm Fuck. He did say there was a juror that had to be convinced to convict. It was a male. If the conviction gets overturned I am going to be freaking pissed. Damn this idiot.
I can't imagine a guy wearing that shirt and attending the MLK anniversary would have to be convinced to convict.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:32 pm
RVInit wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm Fuck. He did say there was a juror that had to be convinced to convict. It was a male. If the conviction gets overturned I am going to be freaking pissed. Damn this idiot.
I can't imagine a guy wearing that shirt and attending the MLK anniversary would have to be convinced to convict.
No, the man who wore the shirt said one of the other men had to be convinced to convict.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

RVInit wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:35 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:32 pm
No, the man who wore the shirt said one of the other men had to be convinced to convict.
So? I don’t think that’s all that unusual.

As to this juror, the appellate court will ask itself whether a challenge for cause would have been granted against this juror had the parties and the court known the true facts. Determining what the true facts are might require a hearing, so the facts might not, in the end, be as reported in the article.

But I agree with Stern. The shirt’s a problem. Going to DC isn’t, I don’t think, unless the juror cops to listening to Floyd’s relatives speak. If that’s the case, then he lied in voir dire, and that is, or ought to be, an automatic bounce.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
LM K

Post by LM K »

From Sternie's article:
Mike Brandt, a Minneapolis defense attorney not involved in the case, told the AP the revelation alone wasn’t nearly enough to overturn Chauvin's conviction, but it could be combined with other issues — the announcement of a massive civil settlement to Floyd’s family during jury selection, the shooting of Daunte Wright, the judge’s refusal to move the trial — in an appeal to say Chauvin was denied a fair trial.
These 2 points pisses me off. Why should a civil court ruling be delayed for a criminal case in which the defendant was not a party of the lawsuit?

Daunte Wright was killed during week 2 of the trial. Only so much can be controlled during a trial. I really wish Daunte Wright had not been shot.
tek

Post by tek »

Was there a question about the shirt that he did not answer truthfully?

IANAL, just wondering exactly where the flaw is that might cause the verdict to be overturned.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

tek wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 am Was there a question about the shirt that he did not answer truthfully?

IANAL, just wondering exactly where the flaw is that might cause the verdict to be overturned.
As I understand it, he wasn’t asked specifically about the shirt. He was asked if he went to any protests against police brutality (I’m paraphrasing); the first question was specific to Minneapolis, and the second was anywhere.

He said no to both. A photograph showing him wearing the shirt at a protest in Washington, D.C. surfaced later. He says his presence at the DC protest wasn’t about police brutality, it was in remembrance of MLK.

The problem with the shirt is that it suggests he’s biased, and not even against cops generally, but Chauvin specifically inasmuch as it says “get your knee off our necks,” and failed to reveal the bias. It also suggests that he was untruthful in his response to the court during voir dire.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am
tek wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 am Was there a question about the shirt that he did not answer truthfully?

As I understand it, he wasn’t asked specifically about the shirt. He was asked if he went to any protests against police brutality (I’m paraphrasing); the first question was specific to Minneapolis, and the second was anywhere.

He said no to both. A photograph showing him wearing the shirt at a protest in Washington, D.C. surfaced later. He says his presence at the DC protest wasn’t about police brutality, it was in remembrance of MLK.

The problem with the shirt is that it suggests he’s biased, and not even against cops generally, but Chauvin specifically inasmuch as it says “get your knee off our necks,” and failed to reveal the bias. It also suggests that he was untruthful in his response to the court during voir dire.
Mitchell told Nelson during jury selection that he had a “very favorable” opinion of Black Lives Matter, that he knew some police officers at his gym who are “great guys,” and that he felt neutral about Blue Lives Matter, a pro-police group. He also said he had watched clips of bystander video of Floyd being pinned and had wondered why three other officers at the scene didn’t intervene.

He said he could be neutral at trial.
That sounds like he admitted bias, at least to some extent, and then said he could be neutral anyway. Or is bias, admitted or not, reason to disqualify a juror?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:56 am

Mitchell told Nelson during jury selection that he had a “very favorable” opinion of Black Lives Matter, that he knew some police officers at his gym who are “great guys,” and that he felt neutral about Blue Lives Matter, a pro-police group. He also said he had watched clips of bystander video of Floyd being pinned and had wondered why three other officers at the scene didn’t intervene.

That sounds like he admitted bias, at least to some extent, and then said he could be neutral anyway. Or is bias, admitted or not, reason to disqualify a juror?
Without more, if the juror says they can set aside any admitted preconceptions and hear the case impartially, that's ordinarily sufficient to satisfy the court that the juror doesn't need to be struck for cause.

The problem here is the shirt and attendance at the DC event where Floyd's family spoke. I'm sorry, but the claim that that event wasn't "about police brutality" when the Floyd family spoke at it is a distinction at which even a lawyer would blush. And Mitchell isn't a lawyer. By that logic, none of the protests last summer were "about police brutality," because they were "about" black lives mattering, or social justice, or equal protection of the law, or any other pretense you want to pick. His negative answer is clearly false, and appears calculated to launder his bias to survive a challenge for cause.

In fact, putting on my defense attorney hat, one has to wonder if the juror also lied about having neutral feelings toward Blue Lives Matter in order to try to avoid Nelson using a peremptory strike on him once his perjured testimony had ensured that he would not be struck for cause. This guy seems to have read The Runaway Jury and thought it was a useful "how-to" guide.

Chauvin is entitled to a new trial if this holds up, and this asshole should be prosecuted for perjury.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
LM K

Post by LM K »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:32 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:56 am

Without more, if the juror says they can set aside any admitted preconceptions and hear the case impartially, that's ordinarily sufficient to satisfy the court that the juror doesn't need to be struck for cause.

The problem here is the shirt and attendance at the DC event where Floyd's family spoke. I'm sorry, but the claim that that event wasn't "about police brutality" when the Floyd family spoke at it is a distinction at which even a lawyer would blush. And Mitchell isn't a lawyer. By that logic, none of the protests last summer were "about police brutality," because they were "about" black lives mattering, or social justice, or equal protection of the law, or any other pretense you want to pick. His negative answer is clearly false, and appears calculated to launder his bias to survive a challenge for cause.

In fact, putting on my defense attorney hat, one has to wonder if the juror also lied about having neutral feelings toward Blue Lives Matter in order to try to avoid Nelson using a peremptory strike on him once his perjured testimony had ensured that he would not be struck for cause. This guy seems to have read The Runaway Jury and thought it was a useful "how-to" guide.

Chauvin is entitled to a new trial if this holds up, and this asshole should be prosecuted for perjury.
1. This assumes that the juror knew the family was going to speak.

2. Do we know if he did hear the family speak?

Both seem relevant.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”