Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Uninformed

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by Uninformed »

Superb take on the Chauvin trial by WeDoubtItsNews:

https://redoubtnews.com/2021/04/chauvin ... m-defense/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

AND JUST LIKE THAT DR. TOBIN TESTIFIED HE DISAGREED BECAUSE OF THE TEST RESULTS DONE AT THE HOSPITAL THAT MEASURED THE CO RATES IN FLOYD’S BLOOD.
Which, of course, is not what happened :roll:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

The author must be relying on the stupidity of the CNN talking heads who have no idea what happened, just that it might be bad.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

After Chauvin's conviction for Floyd murder, DOJ weighs charging him for 2017 incident involving Black teen
https://abcnews.go.com/US/chauvins-conv ... d=77254006
Late last year, as a team of Minnesota state prosecutors was preparing for the trial that would ultimately convict former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd, they received a series of videos depicting Chauvin's handling of another case three years earlier that by their own description shocked them.

The videos, from Sept. 4, 2017, allegedly showed Chauvin striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe.

"Those videos show a far more violent and forceful treatment of this child than Chauvin describes in his report" of the incident, one of the state prosecutors, Matthew Frank, wrote in a court filing at the time.

Now, the U.S. Justice Department may do something that state prosecutors never did: charge Chauvin for the 2017 incident.
Talks2Eagles2

Post by Talks2Eagles2 »

:boxing: His brutality was known and overlooked for far too long. Chauvin is one SICKKK pup.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm After Chauvin's conviction for Floyd murder, DOJ weighs charging him for 2017 incident involving Black teen
https://abcnews.go.com/US/chauvins-conv ... d=77254006
Late last year, as a team of Minnesota state prosecutors was preparing for the trial that would ultimately convict former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd, they received a series of videos depicting Chauvin's handling of another case three years earlier that by their own description shocked them.

The videos, from Sept. 4, 2017, allegedly showed Chauvin striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe.

"Those videos show a far more violent and forceful treatment of this child than Chauvin describes in his report" of the incident, one of the state prosecutors, Matthew Frank, wrote in a court filing at the time.

Now, the U.S. Justice Department may do something that state prosecutors never did: charge Chauvin for the 2017 incident.
:thumbsup:

The event sounds extremely violent. Good lord.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I wonder if this might be an encouragement for him to not appeal his conviction?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:50 pm I wonder if this might be an encouragement for him to not appeal his conviction?
I think that’s unlikely. His conviction is going to stick on appeal.

I think it’s more likely that the DOJ, particularly in this administration, wants to be seen as taking these allegations seriously. If someone had prosecuted Chauvin for this earlier incident, George Floyd likely would be alive right now, even if Chauvin had been acquitted. He almost certainly would have been fired if the leadership at the time thought the incident warranted prosecution.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 pm
Uninformed wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:50 pm I wonder if this might be an encouragement for him to not appeal his conviction?

I think it’s more likely that the DOJ, particularly in this administration, wants to be seen as taking these allegations seriously. If someone had prosecuted Chauvin for this earlier incident, George Floyd likely would be alive right now, even if Chauvin had been acquitted. He almost certainly would have been fired if the leadership at the time thought the incident warranted prosecution.
Good points. :bag:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Brilliant post.

I suspect that the DOJ waited to announce that they're investigating the MPD until the Chauvin trial was completed. They immediately announced their investigation after the Chauvin verdict.

I can't imagine why Chauvin was given a pass on his brutal arrest of this 14 year old child. On what planet is it appropriate to use a "neck restraint" (aka chocking) someone until they lose consciousness, toss the person to the ground, and then use a knee on the person's neck and then back for 17 minutes?

Chauvin's report about this case was allegedly not at all an accurate account of the arrest. Thus, his fellow officer at the scene must have filed a sanitized report of the arrest.

I suspect that the other officer at that scene is looking at charges, too.

Chauvin had 17-22 (different sources give different numbers) complaints against him in 19 years. Various police sources have said that this is highly unusual. I understand that complaints aren't always substantiated. But Chauvin was disciplined only twice ... receiving "don't do it again" letters. I can't believe that some of the other 15-20 complaints weren't not substantiated.

Heads need to roll at MPD.

Here are some of the cases the US Justice Department may look into as they investigate Minneapolis policing practices

Here are some of the cases the US Justice Department may look into as they investigate Minneapolis policing practices
The US Justice Department announced Wednesday it is launching a federal civil probe into policing practices in Minneapolis.

The broad federal investigation follows the murder convictions of former officer Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd, something experts say is very rare in law enforcement. The announcement also follows -- and will run in conjunction with -- the current investigation into Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) by the Minnesota Department of Human Rights (MDHR), which was launched in June 2020.

What the federal investigation is doing is assessing MPD's uses of excessive force, examining if the department misrepresents interactions in its community and reviewing MPD's "systems of accountability," according to Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Garland did not specify exactly the time frame or what cases would be examined in this probe. Since 2015, there have been at least seven deaths in Minneapolis and its surrounding areas that have made national headlines.

"The highest, the biggest profile cases in history have come from the state of Minnesota
," said Toshira Garraway Allen, founder of Families Supporting Families Against Police Violence, a group that supports families in Minnesota that have lost loved ones to police violence. "It is clear that it is a problem here in the state of Minnesota."

Here are just some of the cases the Justice Department could include in their investigation:
:snippity:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

From that article
Video of Floyd's death sparked a year of protests and calls for police reform after he and other Black Americans -- like Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery -- died at the hands of police.
There are plenty of actual line-of-duty shootings to cite. Why invoke Ahmaud Arbery instead of an actual officer-involved murder?
LM K

Post by LM K »

A former Minneapolis police officer called Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict a 'tragedy,' saying he fears it will start a 'new trend' of sending cops to prison
What was a day of justice for the Black Lives Matter movement was a day of disappointment for one former Minneapolis police officer, who told Insider he was shocked by Derek Chauvin's conviction and called it a "tragedy."

The former officer spoke on the condition of anonymity, but his identity is known to Insider. He worked for the Minneapolis Police Department for nearly three decades before quitting days before Chauvin's trial began.

Insider spoke with him less than 24 hours after a jury found his former colleague guilty on murder and manslaughter charges in the May 2020 killing of George Floyd. Floyd, a Black man, died after Chauvin knelt on his neck for minutes while trying to arrest him on suspicion of passing a fake $20 bill. Floyd's death reinvigorated the Black Lives Matter movement and set off worldwide protests.

In a previous interview, the former officer said he believed Floyd died of a drug overdose because of the amount of fentanyl that was in his system, but experts testified at the trial that Floyd's death was because of a lack of oxygen caused by Chauvin's pressure on his neck.

The former officer said the jury finding Chauvin guilty on all three charges was "not at all" what he expected, and called it a "tragedy."

"The jury got it wrong, I believe. But you gotta respect their decision," the former officer said.

'I knew he was screwed'

Since the verdict was announced Tuesday afternoon, the former officer has been speaking to former coworkers, who also expressed disappointment with the trial, he said.

"They all believe that Derek didn't stand a chance at a fair trial," he said.

He added that one of the coworkers described Chauvin as a "sacrificial lamb."

The former officer said he was especially shocked at how quickly the jury deliberated — just over 10 hours — before delivering the guilty verdict.

"When they came back that quick, I knew he was screwed. I knew it," he said. "I've never seen, in all my years of work, a jury come back that quick on such serious charges. Never."

He said he felt the jury "was under tremendous pressure to 'make it right' for George Floyd."

The courthouse and surrounding area were fortified throughout the trial, and the jury was sequestered at a hotel throughout its deliberations.

A 'new trend' of sending officers to prison

The former officer said he's glad that he left policing. He said he believes the Chauvin decision could result in more officers going to jail in the future, specifically the officers involved in recent police killings in Chicago; Brooklyn Center, Minnesota; and Columbus, Ohio.

"It's the new trend now. They're sending cops to prison," he said. :shock: :mad:

The three other officers who were at the scene during Chauvin's fatal arrest — Tou Thao, Thomas Lane, and J. Alexander Kueng — are to be tried together later this year.

When asked what he would say to Chauvin and his family, if given the opportunity, the former officer said he would want them to know he's sorry.

"The whole thing is a tragedy," he said. "George Floyd dying is a tragedy for sure. What happened to Chauvin's family and his wife is horrible." (Kellie Chauvin requested a divorce last May, which was granted in February.)

"The whole thing is just sad. It's really upsetting to me," the former officer said. "It's a lose-lose deal for everybody."
WTAF?! What planet does this ex-officer live on?

Chauvin's verdict is going "to create a trend"? :mad: Officers are rarely charged for crimes they commit. They're almost never convicted of crimes. Fuck, the judge in Chauvin's trial had to give specific instructions about bias. Imo, the judge was addressing biases about viewing officers in a more positive light than other defendants and implicit bias about black men being more violent than white men.

I know that there are excellent officers. I know that some officer involved shootings are reasonable. I know that many officers are compassionate. I'm working hard to keep these points in perspective.

The idea that there are only "a few bad apples" is flat out wrong; there's a tremendous amount of social psychology research to refute the bad apples myth.

The (non-existent) "trend" of sending officers to prison is occurring only because witnesses are able to use cell phones to recording policing. Without these recordings. And the interviewed ex-officer knows that.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 pm
From that article
Video of Floyd's death sparked a year of protests and calls for police reform after he and other Black Americans -- like Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery -- died at the hands of police.
There are plenty of actual line-of-duty shootings to cite. Why invoke Ahmaud Arbery instead of an actual officer-involved murder?
:yeahthat:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

so do we know the names of the officers that quit?

Sounds like this guy is just like the murderer
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

LM K wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:41 pm
The former officer said he's glad that he left policing. He said he believes the Chauvin decision could result in more officers going to jail in the future, specifically the officers involved in recent police killings in Chicago; Brooklyn Center, Minnesota; and Columbus, Ohio.

"It's the new trend now. They're sending cops to prison," he said.
From your lips to God's ears.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Exactly. They need to realize that this profession is not a "Good Old Boys" club... "Qualified Immunity" taught them they can do ANYTHING. I have been harassed* (walking stop) -- and I'm a white dude. POC stand no chance.

*I'll tell you the story if you're interested.
LM K

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:09 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Exactly. They need to realize that this profession is not a "Good Old Boys" club... "Qualified Immunity" taught them they can do ANYTHING. I have been harassed* (walking stop) -- and I'm a white dude. POC stand no chance.

*I'll tell you the story if you're interested.
Yes please!
LM K

Post by LM K »

Derek Chauvin, convicted in the murder of George Floyd, to be sentenced June 16

Former Minneapolis Police officer
Derek Chauvin, convicted this week in the murder of George Floyd last May, will be sentenced June 16, according to the court docket.

Judge Peter Cahill remanded Chauvin into custody on Tuesday following his conviction on second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Imma gonna drop this here because it's all sorta related.

Georgia Repeals Civil War-Era Citizen’s Arrest Law Initially Used to Justify Letting Ahmaud Arbery’s Killers Off the Hook
https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/liv ... -the-hook/
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed bipartisan legislation on Monday repealing a Civil War-era citizen’s arrest law used to defend three white men accused of chasing down Ahmaud Arbery and fatally shooting him. The men claimed they suspected Arbery had just committed a crime.

Lawmakers in the Georgia House and Senate passed HB 479 and thus overwhelmingly approved the measure which prohibits Georgia citizens from forcefully detaining a person if a crime is committed in their presence or “within their immediate knowledge.” The new law, signed 14 months after Arbery’s death, does have exceptions for self-defense and allows the operators of public businesses to hold suspected thieves until authorities arrive.

Prosecutors sparked controversy when they initially said the men involved with Arbery’s death should not be charged — citing to the outdated citizen’s arrest statute.

According to a report from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “the law was first enacted 1863 to allow white Georgians to capture slaves who were fleeing to fight in the Union Army.” It was later used “through the early 1900s to justify the lynching of Black people without repercussions.”

“Today we are replacing a Civil War-era law ripe for abuse with language that balances the sacred right to self-defense of a person’s property with our shared responsibility to root out injustice and set our state on a better path forward,” Kemp said when signing the bill. “Today, in honor of Ahmaud’s memory, we commit to taking this step forward together.”
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Judge in Chauvin trial rules that there were "aggravating factors" in the death of George Floyd, meaning that the judge may grant the prosecution's request for a "upward departure" from the sentencing guidelines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ru ... d=msedgntp
LM K

Post by LM K »

noblepa wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:47 pm Judge in Chauvin trial rules that there were "aggravating factors" in the death of George Floyd, meaning that the judge may grant the prosecution's request for a "upward departure" from the sentencing guidelines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ru ... d=msedgntp
:thumbsup:

From the article.
A pre-sentence investigation report will also be conducted. These are usually nonpublic and include highly personal information such as family history and mental health issues, as well as details of the offense and the harm it caused others and the community.

Nelson also argued Floyd was not treated with particular cruelty, saying that there is no evidence that the assault perpetrated by Chauvin involved gratuitous pain that’s not usually associated with second-degree murder.

No matter what sentence Chauvin gets, in Minnesota it’s presumed that a defendant with good behavior will serve two-thirds of the penalty in prison and the rest on supervised release, commonly known as parole.

Chauvin has also been indicted on federal charges alleging he violated Floyd's civil rights, as well as the civil rights of a 14-year-old he restrained in a 2017 arrest. If convicted on those charges, which were unsealed Friday, a federal sentence would be served at the same time as Chauvin's state sentence. The three other former officers involved in Floyd's death were also charged with federal civil rights violations; they await trial in state court on aiding and abetting counts.
Lawyers: Chauvin has been indicted for crimes against Floyd and against a 14 year old boy. He's also been indicted by the state of Minnesota for tax fraud.

I know the judge can't consider those in sentencing because he hasn't yet been tried for them. But could these cases decrease the effectiveness of the defense arguing that Chauvin has never been in trouble with the law before?

Also, can the judge take into consideration Chauvin's extensive record of complaints as an officer?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chauvin did, in fact, inflict gratuitous pain on Floyd. The first witness of Day 3 of testimony was all about that aspect of it, at least the first several minutes of testimony. Day three, witness 1 is when prosecutors introduced the body camera video from all four ex-officers, and at least one of those videos showed that the hand that was hidden from view of the onlookers was being used to pull Floyds fingers backwards and to push his wrist into the cuffs, both of which are pain techniques (according to the police officer that was testifying) that were being used in a gratuitous manner. Floyd was under control at the time and was not fighting (except for breath). According to the testimony, these pain techniques are only used in order to bring a suspect into compliance with officer's orders, and since Floyd was already in compliance, it was just plain torture.

That said, I don't think the unnecessary infliction of pain technique was an actual aggravating factor, but Nelson is just plain lying when he says Chauvin didn't inflict pain on George Floyd. He most certainly did. And not just the pain I described, the whole incident was painful, you'd have to be an idiot not to have noticed that.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I know that the court has to see the trial through, including sentencing. And, I know that Chauvin can't appeal until the trial court finishes its work, including sentencing.

But, as we've discussed before, the juror who was spotted wearing a t-shirt saying "Get off of our necks" is likely to be grounds for a successful appeal, getting Chauvin a new trial.

So, is the judge wasting his time? I know that he has to act without considering the inevitable appeal by Chauvin. After all, it is possible that the appeals court won't overturn the conviction because of that.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I don’t know about MN, but some states permit a defendant to move for a new trial while the Court still has jurisdiction over the case.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm I don’t know about MN, but some states permit a defendant to move for a new trial while the Court still has jurisdiction over the case.
Yes, and Chauvin did move for a new trial.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”