Arkansas' Anti-abortion Crusade

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Arkansas' Anti-abortion Crusade

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Wow! An Arkansas woman's life just keeps getting more restricted. Example: SB6 - also known as "The Road to SCOTUS: We FINALLY Overturn Roe v. Wade!"

SB6 - TO CREATE THE ARKANSAS UNBORN CHILD PROTECTION ACT; TO ABOLISH ABORTION IN ARKANSAS AND PROTECT THE LIVES OF UNBORN CHILDREN; AND TO PROTECT ALL HUMAN LIFE.

https://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/Bills/De ... 1R&Search=

https://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/Bills/FT ... %2FSB6.pdf
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Re: Arkansas' antiabortion Crusade

I outed myself! I told my sons before this was published. No one knew except Hubby. He was and still is my Soul's Savior.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... 4/letters/
OPINION | LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Support women, girls | It's not your decision | Taking responsibility

Support women, girls

How do you stop the Arkansas Legislature's anti-abortion crusade? No amount of potential harm to children or women stirs feelings of humanity or responsibility in the crusaders.

Real life for one Arkansas woman: A 19-year-old's parents emotionally abuse her when they discover she is sexually active with Boyfriend. Dad calls her a "whore" and a "slut." They find her birth control pills and slap her around before taking them away. Before getting new pills, she becomes pregnant.

Boyfriend's behavior now changes. Gentle and caring before, he becomes emotionally abusive, "teasing" her about her "knobby knees." He squeezes her knees hard. She asks him to stop. He laughs and exerts more pressure.

He grabs and pinches her breasts. She asks him to stop, telling him this hurts. She doesn't say how mortified and shameful she feels. Laughing, he says he is "playing."

She and Boyfriend agree to an abortion. The abuse does not stop. Boyfriend tries to strangle her twice; once she thinks, "I am going to die." Another time, he grabs the arms of the metal chair she is sitting in, bending its arms. He then throws her on the bed and tries to strangle her. Yet another time, he grabs her by the collar of her T-shirt and throws her to the ground.

Pregnancy triggers Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) or domestic abuse for some women and children. This dynamic is reported in medical journals. Without the law allowing abortion, my life would have been continued physical and emotional abuse.

I call upon humane Arkansans to stop the crusade. Contact your legislators and the governor to vote against, or veto, these bills. Arkansas men should act to support the girls and women they love to have available all medical treatments suitable to their individual health needs, including abortion.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Big Hug!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 pm Big Hug!
:P
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:03 pm I outed myself! I told my sons before this was published. No one knew except Hubby. He was and still is my Soul's Savior.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... 4/letters/
OPINION | LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Support women, girls | It's not your decision | Taking responsibility

Support women, girls

How do you stop the Arkansas Legislature's anti-abortion crusade? No amount of potential harm to children or women stirs feelings of humanity or responsibility in the crusaders.

Real life for one Arkansas woman: A 19-year-old's parents emotionally abuse her when they discover she is sexually active with Boyfriend. Dad calls her a "whore" and a "slut." They find her birth control pills and slap her around before taking them away. Before getting new pills, she becomes pregnant.

Boyfriend's behavior now changes. Gentle and caring before, he becomes emotionally abusive, "teasing" her about her "knobby knees." He squeezes her knees hard. She asks him to stop. He laughs and exerts more pressure.

He grabs and pinches her breasts. She asks him to stop, telling him this hurts. She doesn't say how mortified and shameful she feels. Laughing, he says he is "playing."

She and Boyfriend agree to an abortion. The abuse does not stop. Boyfriend tries to strangle her twice; once she thinks, "I am going to die." Another time, he grabs the arms of the metal chair she is sitting in, bending its arms. He then throws her on the bed and tries to strangle her. Yet another time, he grabs her by the collar of her T-shirt and throws her to the ground.

Pregnancy triggers Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) or domestic abuse for some women and children. This dynamic is reported in medical journals. Without the law allowing abortion, my life would have been continued physical and emotional abuse.

I call upon humane Arkansans to stop the crusade. Contact your legislators and the governor to vote against, or veto, these bills. Arkansas men should act to support the girls and women they love to have available all medical treatments suitable to their individual health needs, including abortion.
That's just horrific.

Here's a HUG.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Love my hugs!!!!!!!!! AND the people who sent them!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Have another one. *hug*.

One of my dad’s criteria when considering an issue was “life is hard enough”. I despair of people who, for whatever “reasons”, promote ideas that do untold damage to others. Assholes.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer

:D 😻
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yay TRL!!!!!
fireworks.jpg
fireworks.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

💕😄
Lani

Post by Lani »

Courageous and lifesaving for some who will read your story.
1fac2.png
1fac2.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Big hug, that was awesome! xx Here's info on Margaret Atwood:

Atwood.JPG
Atwood.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 pm Courageous and lifesaving for some who will read your story.
1fac2.png
100%

True valor comes in many forms.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Big group hug, TRL.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
somerset

Post by somerset »

Another big group hug.

And so glad to hear that you found the right man, a real man, to love you and be your partner for life.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 pm Courageous and lifesaving for some who will read your story.
1fac2.png
Yes, that! Big hug!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Enjoying all my hugs and kudos for hubby!💖💖💖

Perhaps our IAALs could review SB6 posted above and assure me that SCOTUS won't fall for the bait. :D
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 am Enjoying all my hugs and kudos for hubby!💖💖💖

Perhaps our IAALs could review SB6 posted above and assure me that SCOTUS won't fall for the bait. :D
well I'm not a lawyer, but have you seen the current make up of the high court.../shrug
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

TRL Big hug. Speaking truth.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Wintermute wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 am TRL Big hug. Speaking truth.
💕💖😻
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Arkansas' Anti-abortion Crusade

Post by Luke »

Another old man telling women what to do. Fu*k Asa and the GOP doing this to play games at SCOTUS. :evil:
Arkansas governor signs near-total abortion ban into law
Supporters hope the new law will force the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider legal abortion.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS 03/09/2021 10:19 PM EST

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Tuesday signed into law legislation banning nearly all abortions in the state, a sweeping measure that supporters hope will force the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit its landmark Roe v. Wade decision but opponents vow to block before it takes effect later this year. The Republican governor had expressed reservations about the bill, which only allows the procedure to save the life of the mother and does not provide exceptions for those impregnated in an act of rape or incest. Arkansas is one of at least 14 states where legislators have proposed outright abortion bans this year. Hutchinson said he was signing the bill because of its “overwhelming legislative support and my sincere and long-held pro-life convictions.”

The bans were pushed by Republicans who want to force the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion nationwide. Conservatives believe the court is more open to striking down the decision following former President Donald Trump’s three appointments to the court. “We must abolish abortion in this nation just as we abolished slavery in the 19th century — all lives matter,” Republican Sen. Jason Rapert, the bill’s sponsor said in a statement. Hutchinson has signed several major abortion restrictions into law since taking office in 2015, but he had voiced concerns that this bill directly challenges Roe and about the lack of rape and incest exceptions. He repeated those concerns as he announced his decision. “(The ban) is in contradiction of binding precedents of the U.S. Supreme Court, but it is the intent of the legislation to set the stage for the Supreme Court overturning current case law,” he said in a statement released by his office. “I would have preferred the legislation to include the exceptions for rape and incest, which has been my consistent view, and such exceptions would increase the chances for a review by the U.S. Supreme Court.”

As the Legislature considered the measure, Hutchinson shared with lawmakers a letter written by an attorney for abortion opponents National Right to Life that said the chances of the bill leading to Roe being overturned were “very small and remote.” National Right to Life didn’t take a position on the bill, though its Arkansas affiliate supported the ban. The legislation won’t take effect until 90 days after the majority-Republican Legislature adjourns this year’s session. That means it can’t be enforced until this summer at the earliest. Abortion rights supporters said they plan to challenge the ban in court before then. The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas called the ban “cruel and unconstitutional.” “Governor Hutchinson: we’ll see you in court,” ACLU of Arkansas Executive Director Holly Dickson said. “This is politics at its very worst,” Alexis McGill Johnson, president of Planned Parenthood Action Fund, said in a statement. “At a time when people need economic relief and basic safety precautions, dismantling abortion access is cruel, dangerous, and blatantly unjust.”

Hutchinson had until Wednesday afternoon to take action on the bill before it would have become law without his signature, a move past governors have taken to express displeasure with a bill without risking an override fight with the Legislature. It takes a simple majority for the Legislature to override a governor’s veto in Arkansas. Arkansas has some of the strictest abortion measures in the country and two years ago Hutchinson signed into law a measure that would ban the procedure if the Roe decision was overturned. Another measure Hutchinson signed in 2019 banning abortions after 18 weeks of pregnancy is on hold due to a legal challenge. Another sweeping abortion ban was signed into law by South Carolina’s governor last month but was quickly blocked by a federal judge due to a legal challenge by Planned Parenthood. Alabama enacted a near-total ban on abortions in 2019 that has been blocked because of court challenges.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/0 ... ban-474957
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer

:brickwallsmall: :sick: :mad: :bag:
tek

Post by tek »

Again, these people aren't gonna end up going where they think they're going when they get to the pearly gates..
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

somerset wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:30 pm Another big group hug.

And so glad to hear that you found the right man, a real man, to love you and be your partner for life.
:bighug: :yeahthat:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. judge blocks Arkansas ban on nearly all abortions

Today at 4:04 a.m. EDT

A federal judge on Tuesday temporarily blocked an Arkansas law banning nearly all abortions, calling it an “imminent threat” to the constitutional rights of women seeking abortions in the state.

Judge Kristine Baker of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas issued a preliminary injunction, preventing the law from being enforced until she can issue a final ruling.

Baker, responding to the challenge brought by advocates of abortion rights, wrote that bans on abortions before a fetus is considered viable are “categorically unconstitutional.”

The ban was set to go into effect on July 28 after being signed into law by Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) in March. The ban, which is one of the strictest antiabortion laws in the country, would prevent any abortions except in situations that would save the life of the mother, and does not include exceptions for rape or incest.

The Republican-controlled state legislature in Arkansas had positioned the bill as a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, writing in the bill’s text that “it is time for the United States Supreme Court to redress and correct the grave injustice and the crime against humanity which is being perpetuated” by the precedent set by the 1973 decision and other abortion cases.

The law would also make it a felony to perform an abortion in Arkansas, with a penalty of up to $100,000 and up to 10 years in jail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rtion-ban/

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”