Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Harry Dunn - Anne Sacoolas

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Harry Dunn: Teen's family 'can claim against suspect and her husband'”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-56274524
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Uninformed

Re: Harry Dunn - Anne Sacoolas

Post by Uninformed »

“Anne Sacoolas: Harry Dunn suspect 'willing to do community service'”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-56326406

“The lawyer added: "One aspect of this that has not been reported is that this kind of an accident, had it occurred in the United States, would not be prosecuted criminally.
"In the United States, these cases are only prosecuted where there is evidence of recklessness that rises to the level of close to intent - drunk driving, distracted driving, a hit-and-run situation or excessive speeding.”

Is this true?I understand that she may have unthinkingly/instinctively driven on the “wrong” side of the road but isn’t this negligent to a criminal level?
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

A lot of background here

Initially she co-operated with the police on the scene, was breathalyzed and then.......

If the woman had not fled the immediate scene, conspired with others to obstruct the investigation, conspired with others to flee the national jurisdiction and deliberately and with intent to avoid fled said jurisdiction then it would, in all probability, ended with a verdict of accidental death by misadventure at the coroner's court.

If it had gone to a magistrates court, she would probably had her driving licence suspended, have a nominal amount of hours of "community service" required and possibly be required/requested to attend some sort of counselling/apology forum with the family.

Instead, see above all of which one assumes, happy to be corrected, if it had occurred in the US would possibly lead to criminal charges.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

She's been a prototypical Ugly American. :bag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 am She's been a prototypical Ugly American. :bag:
When we send people, we're not sending our best...

I'll come in again... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Harry Dunn death: Path clear for virtual trial, says foreign secretary”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-57449680

‘Mr Raab told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The US has not agreed to the extradition, but the path is clear for the legal authorities in the UK to approach Anne Sacoolas's lawyers - without any problem from the US government - to see whether some kind of virtual trial or process could allow some accountability and some solace and some justice for the Dunn family."’

:bored:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am “Harry Dunn death: Path clear for virtual trial, says foreign secretary”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-57449680

‘Mr Raab told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The US has not agreed to the extradition, but the path is clear for the legal authorities in the UK to approach Anne Sacoolas's lawyers - without any problem from the US government - to see whether some kind of virtual trial or process could allow some accountability and some solace and some justice for the Dunn family."’

:bored:
This one really frosts my cake:
International rules protect officials and their families from unjust interference from host nations while they are stationed abroad.
How in holy hell is this considered unjust interference? It's one bullshit thing for diplomats and their families to roll through stop signs and tear up parking tickets, it's a whole 'nother level to drive the wrong way and kill a young man. It isn't even in the same ballpark. I sincerely hope she is being shunned in her community, and that the family will EVENTUALLY find some sort of justice! :brickwallsmall: :crying:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Diplomatic impunity cuts all kinds of ways and everybody does it. Us, too. The US had its fair share of hits-and-run-like-hell. Saddest I heard of was a man who had just been released from political prison who found a job as a night watchman at a warehouse. On his first night, he was sitting on break at the front door when one of our very own crashed into the building and killed him. Our guy promptly left the country.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... death.html
Judge Rejects Secret Submission in Suit over Teen's Death

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A judge on Friday rejected a request from the federal government to provide classified information in a lawsuit filed by the family of a British teenager killed in England by a member of the U.S. intelligence community who was driving on the wrong side of the road.

The family of 19-year-old Harry Dunn filed a lawsuit in Alexandria, Virginia, against Anne Sacoolas and her husband, Jonathan, after Anne Sacoolas struck and killed Dunn as he drove a motorcycle near the Croughton Air Force base in England.

The Sacoolases left the country after Dunn's death and the U.S. invoked diplomatic immunity on their behalf, prompting an outcry in Britain. Dunn's family then filed the lawsuit.

The government has confirmed that Anne Sacoolas worked in the intelligence community but otherwise has been circumspect about the family's duties.

Last month, the U.S. government filed a motion to intervene in the case and provide the judge more information about the family without making it public or available to the plaintiffs.

At a hearing Friday, though, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III said he didn't see why the information would be relevant.

“I don't want any classified information running around here,” Ellis said. “This case should have been settled a long time ago.”

The hearing came less than two weeks before the Sacoolases are scheduled to give depositions in the lawsuit.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I think the judge is right about not wanting to clutter the record with classified material. When the judge said the case should have settled, that seems a pretty clear indication of which way the wind is blowing with respect to both jurisdiction and liability.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

Just from a logistics standpoint, classified material in a courthouse is a PITA, as it often involves a SCIF room.
Image ImageImage
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas admits causing crash death”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-63328168

“Anne Sacoolas, 45, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey, via videolink, to causing his death by careless driving.”

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”