Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Britney Spears Conservatorship

Uninformed

Re: Britney Spears Conservatorship

Post by Uninformed »

I haven’t followed this story closely but if she has been made to enter into contracts to perform (a high pressure environment) when, as appears to have been reported, she did not want to, how is this good for someone in a “fragile” mental state?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Jamie Spears is a piece of shit.
Britney Spears' attorney accused her father of trying to extort about $2 million from the pop star as she tries to break free of the control he's had over her life and her money for more than 13 years in a new court filing.

On Monday, Spears' attorney, Mathew Rosengart, filed a supplemental petition to remove her father, Jamie Spears, from her conservatorship, saying that his response to her request to remove him amounted to "quid pro quo." Earlier this month, an attorney for the singer's father said that Jamie Spears intended to step down as conservator, but only after resolving certain issues, including "the pending Twelfth Account and a final account."

According to Rosengart's filing, that account includes Jamie Spears for legal work addressing "public, media, and social media attention" and for "continu[ing] to do my best to keep current regarding the music, advertising and entertainment business," a total of $1,356,293 in attorneys' fees for his counsel, and a $500,000 payment to Tri Star Sports & Entertainment Group.
:snippity:

In July, Spears formally requested the court remove her father as conservator and replace him with Jason Rubin, a professional fiduciary and forensic accountant. The move was supported by Jodi Montgomery, the current conservator of the singer's personal life as well as her medical team, and her mother, Lynne Spears, according to court documents. The court is expected to consider her request at a Sept. 29 hearing.

In court papers, Jamie Spears has maintained that he has appropriately managed his daughter's finances and "taken the Estate from being in debt and facing tens of millions of dollars of lawsuits to a current value of well over $60 million." At the same time, he has tried to distance himself from her personal and medical care in light of Britney Spears' statements about not being allowed to ride in her boyfriend's car or go to the doctor to get her IUD removed.
Dad wants to be paid for keeping "current regarding the music, advertising and entertainment business"? What does that even mean?

I didn't know that all of Britney's physicians and other members of the conservatorship supported Britney's request to have her father booted from the conservatorship.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

LM K wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:19 am Dad wants to be paid for keeping "current regarding the music, advertising and entertainment business"? What does that even mean?
The court should open up Brittney’s coffers and buy Dad a subscription to Billboard magazine.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:56 am I haven’t followed this story closely but if she has been made to enter into contracts to perform (a high pressure environment) when, as appears to have been reported, she did not want to, how is this good for someone in a “fragile” mental state?
My thoughts too, also.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Britney Spears' father formally files to end conservatorship”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58483461
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
LM K

Post by LM K »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 pm “Britney Spears' father formally files to end conservatorship”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58483461
:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

What is he up to? Suspicions. I haz them.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 am What is he up to? Suspicions. I haz them.
Wasn't the quest to have the conservatorship transferred, cause it still may be prudent to have someone look after her, and if he ends it the friends circle that just wants change, him off the books, now have a problem?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

She got better. :batting:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 am What is he up to? Suspicions. I haz them.
Since he was not going to be continuing as conservator, maybe dad didn’t want anyone else to be earning substantial fees from controlling Brittany’s affairs.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Emily Baker, a former state prosecutor (CA) who is now doing youtube videos about law and the entertainment community, has stated that she guesses that Brittany's lawyer (the one she chose herself) has not moved to end the conservatorship because he want to use the powers of the probate court to do an forensic investigation of Jamie's handling of the estate.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 am Emily Baker, a former state prosecutor (CA) who is now doing youtube videos about law and the entertainment community, has stated that she guesses that Brittany's lawyer (the one she chose herself) has not moved to end the conservatorship because he want to use the powers of the probate court to do an forensic investigation of Jamie's handling of the estate.
When I saw that he wanted to end the conservatorship my first thought was that he is trying to avoid anyone looking into his actions. It sounds like he was paying himself quite handsomely.

I used to date someone who audited conservatorships and guardianships. He worked in the County Clerk's office and there was a single judge who presided over these "cases" or whatever they are properly called. That judge meant business when it came to preserving the best interests of the subject of guardianship and would not allow anyone to pad their pockets at the subject's expense. It's a shame every judge doesn't automatically assign an auditor to review everything the guardian is doing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

That's my thought too.

IMHO, the first thing any new conservator is going to do is hire an accountant to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Daddy can't be looking forward to that.
LM K

Post by LM K »

NYT has a new documentary titled "Controlling Britney Spears". It was released today. I hope to see it this weekend.

This article is truly horrifying.

I hope prosecutors look into this. Jamie crossed so many lines. The emotional abuse he inflicted is just horrific.

Because NYT has a paywall, I've posted the entire article. I made the article viewable to members only.

The Surveillance Apparatus That Surrounded Britney Spears
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OK, that's creepy. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Jamie has "control" issues.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Jamie Spears has been suspended from financial conservator, according to someone who is tweeting from outside of the courtroom.

Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

Emily D. Baker is covering the news:

LM K

Post by LM K »

At a hearing on Wednesday, Judge Brenda Penny granted a petition by Ms. Spears’s lawyer, suspending Mr. Spears, 69, from his position as overseer of his daughter’s $60 million estate — a move Ms. Spears was pleading for, her lawyer said.

“This man does not belong in her life, your honor, for another day,” Mathew S. Rosengart, who took over as the singer’s lawyer in July, argued in court. “Please hear the plea of my client.” He said that it would be a “disaster” for Mr. Spears to remain in her life.

Lawyers for Mr. Spears said that the conservatorship should be ended instead, calling his record as conservator “impeccable.” But after hearing from both sides, the judge agreed that suspending Mr. Spears was in his daughter’s best interest. “The current situation is not tenable,” Judge Penny said.

She named a California accountant, John Zabel, as the temporary conservator of the singer’s finances, as Mr. Rosengart had requested.

In a drastic role reversal at the hearing on Wednesday, a lawyer for Mr. Spears, Vivian Lee Thoreen, who had been among the conservatorship’s fiercest defenders, argued to terminate it right away instead of suspending her client, while Ms. Spears’s lawyer asked the judge to wait in order for him to further investigate Mr. Spears’s conduct.

Although Mr. Spears had long maintained that the arrangement was voluntary and necessary to protect his daughter’s well-being — crediting the conservatorship with saving her life and revitalizing her career — he filed earlier this month to end it entirely, citing Ms. Spears’s wishes and recent shows of independence. (Ms. Spears said in June that she had not known she could move to end it.)

Ms. Thoreen said in court that suspending Mr. Spears as conservator was unnecessary because everyone agreed the conservatorship should end. But Mr. Rosengart, who had said in court filings that Ms. Spears consented to winding down the arrangement, argued that Mr. Spears was seeking to avoid having to turn over records from the conservatorship, including 13 years of financial information.

Mr. Rosengart instead asked the judge to set a hearing in 30 to 45 days to discuss terminating the conservatorship
. “My client wants, my client needs, my client deserves an orderly transition,” the lawyer said. The next hearing in the case was scheduled for Nov. 12.

Mr. Spears could be removed entirely as conservator on that date, or at another hearing to determine whether he failed to fulfill the responsibility for a variety of reasons cited in the law, including mismanaging the estate or “gross immorality.” The court set an additional hearing for Dec. 8 to tie up outstanding financial matters, including more than $1 million in legal fees billed to the estate.

In a statement on Thursday, Ms. Thoreen said the ruling was “a loss for Britney.”

“Respectfully, the court was wrong to suspend Mr. Spears, put a stranger in his place to manage Britney’s estate, and extend the very conservatorship that Britney begged the court to terminate earlier this summer,” the lawyer said. “Despite the suspension, Mr. Spears will continue to look out for the best interests of his daughter and work in good faith towards a positive resolution of all matters.”

But lawyers for Mr. Spears filed this month to end the conservatorship first. Mr. Rosengart called the move “vindication” for Ms. Spears, although he raised the possibility that the singer’s father was attempting to “avoid accountability and justice, including sitting for a sworn deposition and answering other discovery under oath.”

In court documents, the lawyer also cited Ms. Spears’s recent engagement to her longtime boyfriend, arguing that her father should not be involved in the creation of a prenuptial agreement.
On Wednesday, Sam Asghari, the singer’s fiancé, celebrated the decision on Instagram. “Free Britney!” he wrote. “Congratulations!!!!!!!!!”

In addition to calling for an investigation of Mr. Spears’s behavior, Mr. Rosengart has questioned Mr. Spears’s financial management of the singer’s estate, including the size of his salary as conservator, “unwarranted commissions” and “potential self-dealing.”

Ms. Spears’s lawyer asked the court to look into the claims and raised the allegations in court on Wednesday, calling it “unfathomable” to eavesdrop on some of the “most intimate communications of my client.”

Mr. Rosengart said he believed that was what spurred Mr. Spears’s 180-degree turn to suddenly wanting to terminate the conservatorship, adding: “What he’s afraid of is the revelation of his corruption.”
A lawyer for Mr. Spears said that the information from the documentary should not be considered evidence.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.ibtimes.com/britney-spears- ... on-3321454
Britney Spears' Father Jamie Dropped By Law Firm After Conservatorship Suspension

Jamie Spears, who was suspended as his daughter Britney Spears' legal guardian on Sept. 29, has been dropped as a client by Holland & Knight (H&K), the law firm that represented him throughout the conservatorship battle.

A source close to the situation told Page Six the firm dropped Jamie from its roster of clients because Britney's attorney, Matthew Rosengart, has claimed time and time again that he will file charges against the singer's father when the controversial legal arrangement is over.

However, another informant told Page Six the real reason behind the firm's decision stems from the idea that working with a "suspended conservator," or someone like Jamie, "puts all [H&K's] fees even more at stake.

"They don't want to fund this anymore because when you represent a suspended conservator it makes it much more likely that fees you've already obtained could be disgorged and future fees may not be paid from the estate, but rather would have to be paid from Jamie," the source said as per the outlet.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Britney Spears's dad, Jamie Spears, hires new attorneys after he's suspended from conservatorship
Britney Spears's father, Jamie Spears, has new legal counsel now that he's been suspended as conservator of the singer's multimillion dollar estate. It's unclear whether he was dropped by his longtime attorneys ahead of potential lawsuits, or if it was his decision.

Jamie filed court documents last week to have Alex Weingarten, a partner in Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP's litigation department, represent him moving forward. (Weingarten did not respond to Yahoo's request for comment.)

Page Six cited unnamed sources who claim that Holland & Knight dropped Jamie over concerns about future lawsuits once the conservatorship is terminated — and that could happen at the next hearing on Nov. 12.

Things have moved quickly since Britney was able to appoint her own lawyer, former federal prosecutor Mathew Rosengart.

Rosengart claimed in court last month that Jamie has abused Britney since childhood and made it clear that he wants the elder Spears investigated for his handling of the conservatorship over the last 13 years. If some allegations are true — such as, allegedly, Jamie illegally recorded his daughter in private moments — then he could face criminal charges. Rosengart also accused Jamie of dissipating Britney's fortune.

But could Jamie face jail time for his alleged misconduct?

"Jamie Spears and others face more than claims for monetary damages," California-based family law attorney Christopher C. Melcher of Walzer Melcher told Yahoo Entertainment. "Criminal liability exists for the interception of electronic communications and the recording of private activity."

If Jamie did secretly monitor Britney, he likely didn't act alone.

"Anyone who participated or conspired with him could also be charged. Each act could carry its own penalties, and this could have gone on for years," added Melcher.

Certified public accountant John Zabel has temporarily replaced Jamie and has access to previous documents and correspondence.

Britney has taken to Instagram in recent weeks to blast her family. She previously said her "dad and anyone involved in this conservatorship, including my management … they should be in jail."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:bunny:

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K

Post by LM K »

That's excellent!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Brit Brit is back at #1 thanks to Elton John!
Elton John Gives Britney Spears Her First Number 1 Since 2011 with “Tiny Dancer” Remix
by Roger Friedman - August 26, 2022 5:34 am

And just like that…Britney Spears can thank Elton John for putting her right back at number 1. At midnight, Sir Elton dropped his remix of Tiny Dancer — now called “Hold Me Closer” — featuring Britney Spears. And it rocketed to number 1 on iTunes. Elton recast his mighty “Tiny Dancer” from 1972 as a dance number, and now there isn’t a person in the land who won’t be humming that damn chorus all day and all night. We will be madmen across the water!

This is the first time Britney’s name has appeared on a number 1 record since a remix in 2011 with Rihanna of that singer’s “S&M.” As a solo artist, Britney last had a number 1 record also in 2011 with a song I don’t remember called “Hold it Against Me.” We won’t!

Seriously, what a tribute to Elton and Bernie Taupin that 50 years later their songs have held up so beautifully that they can be worked into number 1 hits. “Rocket Man” and “Sacrifice” became “Cold Heart,” still at the top of the charts almost a year after that remix was released! “Hold Me Closer” also includes bits of a great later Elton hit, “The One,” from 1992, with production from Cirkuit and Andrew Watt.
https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/08/26/l ... o-number-1

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Well, IMO, that was thoroughly obnoxious, and I *love* the original. Plus, I couldn't really tell Britney was singing on it. But I'm something of a bitch about dance music, so it would have to be REALLY good for me to like it...

Now to find something to get that out of my head :D Ah, Spotify to the rescue with some "Shout" by Tears for Fears!

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”