Nazis & Other Extremists In Today's Armed Forces

Addie

Re: Nazis & Other Extremists In Today's Armed Forces

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast
Congress Quietly Cut Term ‘White Nationalists’ From Measure to Screen Military Recruits

A measure in the National Defense Authorization Act intended to encourage screening for white-nationalist beliefs in military enlistees was quietly altered by the Republican-controlled Senate on Tuesday, according to HuffPost. The original House amendment was passed to keep white nationalists out of the U.S. military, but the term no longer appears in the act as the revised version requires the Department of Defense to instead screen military enlistees for “extremist and gang-related activity.” The Senate’s version of the massive military spending bill went directly to President Donald Trump’s desk.

The original legislation was introduced by Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA) in July after reports about a spike in white nationalists in the U.S. military, and the new version effectively heightens the chances for white nationalists to join the military. A series of HuffPost investigations revealed earlier this year that 11 U.S. military servicemen were Identity Evropa members, a notorious white-nationalist group. Aguilar told HuffPost that the Senate’s alteration means that they may not be taking white nationalism seriously, adding, “we cannot turn a blind eye to this growing problem which puts our national security and the safety of the brave men and women serving our country in jeopardy.” White nationalism has consistently posed a threat to the military, according to academics and law enforcement officials. In the 1970s, a Department of Defense directive authorized military enlistees to join the Ku Klux Klan.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Who believes this?

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"circle game", huh? How old are these lads? 10-12?

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Circle game? That does not make any sense. Who exactly were they playing against, the camera? Were the going to punch the photographer if they glanced at the hands? Are they punching social media now?

This reads like the navy wanted to be able to say they don't have white nationalists in their ranks and accepted the thinnest of excuses.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Some background on the Circle Game for those (like me) who are unfamiliar:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wj8e ... ircle-game

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Even if it’s true that they were playing the circle game [**cough** BULLSHIT **cough**], they’re still guilty of being incredible socially unaware. I find it hard to believe that people their age wouldn’t know how that symbol might be interpreted, even if that wasn’t their intent...
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

You obviously don't spend much time around adolescent/post adolescent college age males, and equally females as well. I have no idea which version of the story is true, but the immature and "socially unaware" that I will do and will believe. But stupid, yes, I agree.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya. It wouldnt surprise me if the person did it just to get people mad.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Maybenaut wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:20 am
Even if it’s true that they were playing the circle game [**cough** BULLSHIT **cough**], they’re still guilty of being incredible socially unaware. I find it hard to believe that people their age wouldn’t know how that symbol might be interpreted, even if that wasn’t their intent...
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
ITA
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

Mother Jones - Pema Levy: The National Guard Expelled 2 Members for White Supremacist Ties—But the Military Still Has a Problem

The GOP-controlled Senate watered down white nationalist screening in the latest military spending plan.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Addie wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Mother Jones - Pema Levy: The National Guard Expelled 2 Members for White Supremacist Ties—But the Military Still Has a Problem

The GOP-controlled Senate watered down white nationalist screening in the latest military spending plan.
This sort of breathless reporting irritates me.

Here's what the House version of the bill said:
SEC. 530C. STUDY REGARDING SCREENING INDIVIDUALS WHO SEEK TO ENLIST IN THE ARMED FORCES.

(a) Study.—The Secretary of Defense shall study the feasibility of, in background investigations and security and suitability screenings of individuals who seek to enlist in the Armed Forces—

(1) screening for white nationalists and individuals with ties to white nationalist organizations; and

(2) using the following resources of the Federal Bureau of Investigation:

(A) The Tattoo and Graffiti Identification Program.

(B) The National Gang Intelligence Center.

(b) Report Required.—Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit an unclassified report in writing to the congressional defense committees containing conclusions of the Secretary regarding the study under subsection (a).
The Senate version had no such provision. This is the provision as enacted (and agreed to by both houses):
SEC. 530. STUDY REGARDING SCREENING INDIVIDUALS WHO SEEK TO ENLIST
IN THE ARMED FORCES.

(a) Study.--The Secretary of Defense shall study the feasibility of, in background investigations and security and suitability screenings of individuals who seek to enlist in the Armed Forces--

(1) screening for extremist and gang-related activity; and

(2) using the following resources of the Federal Bureau of Investigation:

(A) The Tattoo and Graffiti Identification Program.

(B) The National Gang Intelligence Center.

(b) Report Required.--Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit an unclassified report in writing to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate and House of Representatives containing conclusions of the Secretary regarding the study under subsection (a).
It seems to me that the Senate wants to screen for all extremists, not just white nationalists, and they're giving DOD extra time to get the study done. I don't see why that's a problem; nor do I see it as "watering down" the bill.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:like:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Agree. White nationalists is too narrow.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News: Suspect in California 'ambush' that left deputy dead is active-duty Air Force sergeant

Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo was stationed at Travis Air Force Base northeast of the San Francisco Bay Area. ...

A suspect arrested in the "ambush" killing of a sheriff's deputy in Santa Cruz County, California, is an active-duty member of the Air Force, an official said Sunday.

The man, Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, who authorities said will face murder charges in the killing Saturday of sheriff's Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was stationed at Travis Air Force Base, northeast of the San Francisco Bay Area, an Air Force spokesman said. ...

The Associated Press reported that Carrillo's wife, Monika Leigh Scott Carrillo, who was also in the Air Force, was found dead in 2018 at an off-base hotel while she was stationed in South Carolina. Her death was investigated by the Sumter County Sheriff's Office in coordination with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and ruled a suicide, the AP reported.

The FBI said Sunday that it is investigating whether the Santa Cruz County incident is connected to the killing of a federal officer in Oakland on May 29. Authorities released photos last week of a van believed to have been used in the shooting, which left Dave Patrick Underwood, 53, dead.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

VICE: The U.S. Military Has a Boogaloo Problem

Some of the largest private Facebook groups catering to the boogaloo movement have scores of members who identify as active-duty military.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Independent: White House insiders are worried that 'unhinged conspiracy theorists' are being given more and more powerful roles at the Pentagon

'It's like these individuals are living in a complete alternate reality,' one source told me, adding that the idea of such people still serving in government was 'terrifying'

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

"White House insiders" are worried about "unhinged conspiracy theorists"? :shock: :eek2: :?

I resign. I'm resigning to spend more time with my family washing my hair. :blink:

You need to find someone else to be Lord High Muckety-Muck of the Galactic Council! :fingerwag:
In other news, scientists have discovered that water is wet. Film at 11.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I started worrying about this around 2012 when Romney, whom I despise but at least thought lived in the real world, started spouting conspiracies during the debate. Not specifically about the military, but government in general.

Jesus Wept, what the world must think about us. 🙄
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:07 am
Independent: White House insiders are worried that 'unhinged conspiracy theorists' are being given more and more powerful roles at the Pentagon

'It's like these individuals are living in a complete alternate reality,' one source told me, adding that the idea of such people still serving in government was 'terrifying'
IMHO a must-read.

Once can only hope that the Great Acid Washing of top government positions is due lastest by January 20, 2021 and nothing nasty happens until then. China and Russia may feel pressed to take some actions that will leave the US in a defacto bad position.

Return to “Military”