‏@joshgreenman

Oy vey. http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/poli ... side-views

:?

mimi

Re: ISIS

Post by mimi »

New York pizza parlor owner admits to recruiting for ISIS

By Julian Hattem - 12/17/15 05:08 PM EST
The man, 31-year-old Mufid Elfgeeh, used the Internet to find potential supporters of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), send them propaganda and support their efforts to join the extremist group in Syria, officials alleged.

To spread his message, Elfgeeh used a combination of three Twitter accounts, 23 Facebook accounts and one WhatsApp account, which he used to seek out funding and support radical fighters, according to details in his plea agreement.

From late 2013 to early 2014, Elfgeeh began communicating with two people who appeared willing to travel to Syria and join the jihadist fight.

Among other steps, Elfgeeh connected the two people with overseas contacts and bought them a laptop computer and a high-definition camera to use on their journey. He also gave one of the travelers $1,000 in cash to buy two handguns, and paid money so that one of the two people could obtain a copy of his birth certificate.

Unbeknownst to Elfgeeh, both people were cooperating with the FBI.
there's more:
http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... g-for-isis

This was up in Rochester, NY. He was arrested back in 2014.

mimi

Post by mimi »

Pennsylvania Teen Arrested For Trying To Help ISIS, May Have Planned Attack
December 17, 2015 4:51 PM
Jalil Ibn Ameer Aziz of Harrisburg is charged with conspiring and attempting to provide material support to terrorists. He has an initial appearance in federal court on Thursday afternoon.

Federal prosecutors say a backpack in Aziz’s closet contained five loaded high-capacity magazines, a modified kitchen knife, a thumb drive, medication and a balaclava, leading them to suspect he may have been plotting an attack.

Authorities say Aziz used Twitter to advocate violence against U.S. citizens and military members and to disseminate Islamic State propaganda. Court papers say Aziz also tried helping others travel to Syria to fight for the Islamic State.

According to the criminal complaint, Aziz has used at least 57 different Twitter accounts to advocate violence against the United States and its citizens, to disseminate ISIL propaganda and espouse pro-ISIL views. Aziz is alleged to have posted a hyperlink containing the names, addresses and other identifying information of 100 reported members of the U.S. military and calls for violence against them.
more:
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/12/ ... m-charges/

here's the affidavit:

https://mgtvwhtm.files.wordpress.com/20 ... plaint.pdf

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Another youngster longing to be a martyr. He was turned in by his parents.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/12/17/fre ... -jihadists

Addie

Post by Addie »

WSJ
U.N. Endorses Islamic State Sanctions

UNITED NATIONS—The U.N. Security Council approved a robust set of sanctions targeting Islamic State’s finances, in an effort to contain the extremist group’s growing influence and global reach.

Russia and the U.S. jointly drafted the 28-page resolution and all 15 members of the Security Council unanimously voted Thursday to endorse it.

The gathering of finance ministers at the Council, led by U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Jacob Lew, marked a rare show of unity among world powers often divided over how to combat terrorism and resolve the bloody conflict in Syria. ...

Some of its main objectives include blocking Islamic State, also known as ISIS, from conducting international banking and financial transactions, providing a set of guidelines to countries to track funds and improving intelligence and information sharing. It also requires countries to report back to the U.N. on their implementation of these measures.

The resolution calls on countries to prevent their citizens from funding or providing services to terrorist organizations and individuals for “recruitment, training, or travel, even in the absence of a link to a specific terrorist act."
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
The Islamic State creates a new type of jihadist: Part terrorist, part gangster

BRUSSELS — The recent terrorist attacks in Paris have brought into sharper focus the rise of a new breed of jihadists, one that blurs the line between organized crime and Islamist extremism, using skills honed in lawbreaking in the service of violent radicalism.

The Islamic State is constructing an army of loyalists from Europe that includes an increasing number of street toughs and ex-cons as the nature of radicalization evolves in the era of the Caliphate. Rather than leave behind lives of crime, some adherents are using their illicit talents to finance recruiting rings and travel costs for foreign fighters even as their backgrounds give them potentially easier access to cash and weapons, posing a new kind of challenge to European authorities. ...

The picture now emerging of the Islamic State’s machinations in Europe is distinct from the development of al-Qaeda, which relied heavily in its early years on ostensibly pious recruits and wealthy foreign sponsors. In contrast, the Islamic State is constructing an army of loyalists from Europe that includes many street toughs and ex-cons. Some are using their illicit talents to finance recruiting rings and travel to Islamic State strongholds, posing a new kind of challenge to authorities. ...

European jails have been breeding grounds of Islamist radicals for years, particularly in Belgium and France. But recently, criminality and extremism have become even more interwoven, with recruits’ illegal behavior continuing even after they are shown “the light” of radical Islam.

“Many of them live lives as hoodlums, had an epiphany, and turned religious, but these connections to criminality are not meant to disappear,” said Peter Neumann, a radicalization expert at King’s College London. “I see this as an operational aspect of the Islamic State.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
'Jihadi Junior,’ young boy in new Islamic State video, identified by grandfather

He would be cute — curly hair, bandanna, British accent — if, at age 6 or 7, he wasn’t wearing army fatigues and calling for slaughter in Allah’s name.

But that is what a young boy is doing in a recently surfaced Islamic State video that features a militant some are calling the “new Jihadi John” executing five men. “We are going to go kill the kafir [non-believers] over there,” the boy says at the conclusion of the video, not yet independently verified. ...

Dare is all-too-familiar with the toll the Islamic State takes on some families living in the United Kingdom. A Christian migrant from Nigeria, he saw his daughter, Grace “Khadijah” Dare, 24, radicalized while at university in London. Her son was born in 2010; she joined the Islamic State in 2012, and was soon praising the beheading of American journalist James Foley, saying she wanted to be the first woman to behead a hostage, and posting photos of her young child holding an AK-47. ...

The boy known as Jihadi Junior is far from the only young person in the service — as much as a child can be in the service — of the Islamic State. Last year, an Australian jihadist tweeted a photo of a 7-year-old boy thought to be his son holding a severed head in Syria.

“That’s my boy!” the photo’s caption said.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Islamic State fighter publicly executes his mother, report says

A well-respected Syrian human rights group is reporting that an Islamic State fighter has executed his own mother.

The report came from the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights in Britain, which told The Washington Post that a 20-year-old Syrian fighter shot his mother, who was thought to be 47, “in front of hundreds of people near the post office building … where she was employed,” as the group put it in a statement. The mother and son had argued over his commitment to the Islamic State; after she objected to his service, he reported her to the extremist organization, which arrested her. The murder took place in Raqqa, the Islamic State stronghold.

“His mother spoke with him and asked him to leave ISIS and leave Raqqa to go to a different area of Syria and Turkey,” Rami Abdulrahman of the Syrian Observatory said in a telephone interview, using an acronym for the Islamic State. “… After that he told ISIS and, 1-2-3, they arrest his mother.” Though the Islamic State is known for its macabre execution videos, Abdulrahman said he was not aware the killing was videotaped.

Abdulrahman said that, since June 2014, the Syrian Observatory has documented the Islamic State killings of 3,707 people in Syria – a total that includes 2,001 civilians, 106 women and 77 children. He said that he thought he had heard of an Islamic State fighter who killed his father, but this was the first matricide he was aware of.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I am glad she wrote a cautionary tale about her adventure for others so tempted, but oy, talk about child endangerment.

The Guardian
‘I went to join Isis in Syria, taking my four-year-old. It was a journey into hell’

Sophie Kasiki stared at the photograph of a young English-speaking boy in a camouflage uniform and black bandana covered in Arabic calling for unbelievers to be killed in the latest Islamic State propaganda.

Her eyes welled and she swallowed hard. “That could have been my son,” she said, her firm voice wavering. “That’s hard for me to say and makes me want to cry. I would have killed us both rather than let him become a killer, rather than let him fall into the claws of those monsters.” ...

“I have felt so guilty. I have asked myself how I can live with what I have done, taking my son to Syria,” she told the Observer. “I have hated those who manipulated me, exploited my naivety, my weakness, my insecurity. I have hated myself.”

About 220 French women are thought to be with Isis in Iraq and Syria, according to the country’s intelligence services. Two years ago only 10% of those leaving France to join the jihadis were women. Today the proportion is 35%. A third are converts, like Kasiki. Her story, Dans la Nuit de Daech (In the Night of Daesh), published by Robert Laffont Editions, reads like a thriller.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Another item of cultural heritage pulverized by the barberians:
Isis has destroyed Iraq's oldest Christian monastery, satellite images confirm

St Elijah’s monastery in Mosul, which stood as a place of worship for 1,400 years, is thought to have been razed between August and September 2014

ssociated Press
Wednesday 20 January 2016 12.16 GMT Last modified on Wednesday 20 January 2016 22.00 GMT

New satellite photos confirm what church leaders and Middle East preservationists had feared: the oldest Christian monastery in Iraq has been reduced to rubble, yet another victim of Islamic State’s relentless destruction of heritage sites it considers heretical.

St Elijah’s monastery stood as a place of worship for 1,400 years, including most recently for US troops. In earlier millennia, generations of monks tucked candles in the niches, prayed in the chapel and worshipped at the altar. The Greek letters chi and rho, representing the first two letters of Christ’s name, were carved near the entrance.

This month, a high resolution camera was used to capture images of the site, which were compared with earlier photographs of the same spot.
Images in the article.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... es-confirm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Splinter group of IS establishes itself in Afghanistan:

[liveleak]ae91a336f263[/liveleak]
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has called on the international community to help his government tackle the growing threat of so-called Islamic State.

One year after the end of the Nato combat mission the Afghan authorities are struggling to cope with threats from both the Taliban and IS.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

OPB News ‏@OPBnews 5m5 minutes ago
ISIS claims responsibility for deadly blasts in Damascus that killed at least 45 http://ow.ly/XLkCO
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
ISIS fighters in Libya surge as group suffers setbacks in Syria, Iraq

Washington (CNN)The U.S. assesses that ISIS is ramping up the numbers of militants in Libya and that it has become harder for the group's fighters to enter Syria.

The U.S. estimate of ISIS militants in Libya has doubled as it has become harder for them to enter Syria, according to U.S. intelligence assessments.

There may now be up to 6,500 ISIS fighters in Libya, twice the number previously thought, according to several U.S. intelligence officials. ...

While the estimate of up to 6,500 is the most recent from military intelligence sources, others in the intelligence community don't agree and believe the number could be half that.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

Today on NPR or BBC I heard that there is a new Daesh video featuring a ten year old kid executing a prisoner by cutting his throat. I haven't looked up anything about it yet. But that is yet another new low for them.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Mockingbird wrote:Today on NPR or BBC I heard that there is a new Daesh video featuring a ten year old kid executing a prisoner by cutting his throat. I haven't looked up anything about it yet. But that is yet another new low for them.
There is video of Taliban in Afghanistan doing the same, several years back. Archaic Muslim traditions....

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters
UAE says ready to support anti-IS coalition with troops

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) said on Sunday it was ready to supply ground troops to help support and train an international military coalition against Islamic State in Syria provided such efforts were led by the United States.

Asked whether the UAE could be expected to send ground troops to Syria, and if so under what circumstances, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said:

"I think that this has been our position throughout ... that a real campaign against Daesh has to include ground elements," he said, referring to Islamic State's name using the Arabic acronym.

Saudi Arabia, one of several Sunni Muslim Gulf Arab states, including the UAE, who are opposed to Islamic State, said last week it was ready to participate in any ground operations in Syria if the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State militants decided to start such operations.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters
Widow of Islamic State leader charged in death of American: U.S. Justice Dept.

The wife of a deceased Islamic State leader was charged on Monday in federal court in Virginia with conspiracy in the death of American aid worker Kayla Mueller who was killed a year ago while being held hostage in Syria by the militant group, the U.S. Justice Department said.

Nisreen Assad Ibrahim Bahar, aka Umm Sayyaf, 25, admitted to FBI agents last year that Islamic State head Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi "owned" Mueller during her captivity at Sayyaf's residence, and that "owning" her was equivalent to enslaving her, according to the complaint.

Mueller was raped repeatedly by al-Baghdadi while in captivity in Syria, U.S. officials and the Mueller family spokeswoman said last August. Mueller's family could not immediately be reached for comment on Monday.

Sayyaf, an Iraqi citizen and wife of Abu Sayyaf, a senior Islamic State leader until his death last May, is currently in Iraqi custody for her terrorism-related activities, according to a statement from John Carlin, the Justice Department's chief of national security.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
U.S. Captures ISIS Operative, Ushering in Tricky Phase

WASHINGTON — An elite American Special Operations force has captured a significant Islamic State operative in Iraq and is expected to apprehend and interrogate a number of others in coming months, ushering in a new and potentially fraught phase in the fight against the extremist Sunni militant group.

American defense officials described the capture as a crucial development in battling the Islamic State but said it also raised questions about handling what is likely to be a growing group of detainees.

Although American commandos have captured a handful of Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria in discrete operations in recent years, the Pentagon is now faced with the prospect of detaining a larger group of captives and potentially reprising some of the darkest images of the war in Iraq, particularly the abuses at Abu Ghraib prison.

The American military has largely fought the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, from the sky, and large numbers of Islamic State fighters have been killed in Iraq and Syria by American airstrikes. The 200-member Special Operations team, made up of many Delta Force commandos, arrived in Iraq in recent weeks and is the first major American combat force on the ground there since the United States pulled out of the country at the end of 2011.

Addie

Post by Addie »

HuffPo
ISIS Suicide Bomb Kills At Least 70 South Of Baghdad

A truck bomb at an Iraqi checkpoint south of Baghdad killed at least 60 people and wounded more than 70 on Sunday, medical and security officials said, and Islamic State claimed responsibility for the blast.

The suicide attack, involving an explosive-laden fuel tanker, is the second deadliest this year after one on Feb. 28 that killed 78 people in Sadr City, a Shi'ite district of Baghdad. This was also claimed by the ultra-hardline Sunni group that controls vast swathes of territory in Iraq and in Syria.

The escalation in Islamic State bombings suggests that Iraqi government forces are being stretched thin after their recent gains against the group in the western and northern provinces.

Responsibility for the bombing in Hilla, 117 kilometres (73 miles) south of Baghdad, was claimed in a posting on the website of the Amaq news agency, which supports Islamic State.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Several disturbing pictures at this link.
Addie wrote:HuffPo
ISIS Suicide Bomb Kills At Least 70 South Of Baghdad
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

Syrian Arab Army prepares massive assault to retake ancient city of Palmyra from Daesh:

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/ti ... nses-fold/

And a moment of retrospect to honor the legacy of the man who refused to reveal the locations of antiquities which form our shared human legacy:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... gist-syria

Khaled al-Asaad, 82, was interrogated by militants for a month before he was murdered in the ancient city

Whatever is left of that cultural site and its treasures, which connect almost all of western and Islamic culture to our our shared past of antiquity, are owing to the heroism of that one unlikely-looking, elderly, unassuming man of astounding integrity.

Great Love! to that magnificent man: Khaled al-Assad, hero of humanity!

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
ISIS Detainee Tells U.S. of Militants’ Plan to Use Mustard Gas

WASHINGTON — An Islamic State detainee currently in American custody at a temporary detention facility in Erbil, Iraq, is a specialist in chemical weapons whom American military officials are questioning about the militant Sunni group’s plans to use the banned substances in Iraq and Syria, defense officials said.

The detainee was identified by officials as Sleiman Daoud al-Afari, a chemical and biological weapons expert who once worked for Saddam Hussein’s Military Industrialization Authority.

Mr. al-Afari, described by the military as a “significant” Islamic State operative who was captured a month ago by commandos in an elite American Special Operations force, has, under interrogation, provided his captors with details about how the group had weaponized mustard gas into powdered form and loaded it into artillery shells, the officials said.

One official said that the gas was not concentrated enough to kill anyone, but that it could maim people.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast
U.S. Attacks ISIS Chemical Weapons Program ...

Since the Syrian civil war began in 2011, ISIS has deployed two kinds of chemical weapons—crude chlorine and mustard agent. The group is believed to have acquired crude chlorine when the group was known as Al Qaeda in Iraq. How it acquired the mustard agent is unclear, as it could have either acquired from someone else or developed it on its own.

The terror group is suspected of launching as many as 20 chemical weapons attacks across Syria. Independent organizations that have researched such claims have only confirmed ISIS’s use of such weapons in a few of those cases. The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons concluded ISIS used mustard gas in three instances in August 2015—in an attack on the city of Marea in Aleppo province and in two attacks in Iraq near the Kurdish capital of Irbil. ...

The Syrian regime also is suspected of using chlorine in attacks against opposition forces.

There are growing concerns that ISIS would like to launch similar attacks on the United States.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
ISIS is accused of chemical attack in Iraq that wounds hundreds, kills child

BAGHDAD — The Islamic State launched two chemical attacks this week near the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, killing a toddler, wounding some 600 people and causing hundreds more to flee, Iraqi officials said Saturday.

Security and hospital officials say the latest attack took place early Saturday in the small town of Taza, which was also struck by a barrage of rockets carrying chemicals three days earlier. ...

“There is fear and panic among the women and children,” said Adel Hussein, a local official in Taza. “They’re calling for the central government to save them.” ...

The extremist group is believed to have set up a special unit for chemical weapons research made up of Iraqi scientists who worked on weapons programs under Saddam Hussein as well as foreign experts. The group is believed to have created limited amounts of mustard gas. Tests confirmed mustard gas was used in a town in Syria when ISIS attacked there in August 2015. There have been other unverified reports of ISIS using chemical agents on battlefields in Syria and Iraq.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
American IS fighter: I made a bad decision

IRBIL, Iraq — The American Islamic State group fighter who handed himself over to Kurdish forces in Iraq’s north earlier this week said he made “a bad decision” joining IS, according to a heavily edited interview he gave to an Iraqi Kurdish television station that aired late Thursday night.

Mohamad Jamal Khweis, 26, from Alexandria, Virginia detailed his weeks-long journey from the United States to London, Amsterdam, Turkey, through Syria and finally to the IS-controlled Iraqi city of Mosul, where he was moved into a house with dozens of other foreign fighters.

Khweis said he met an Iraqi woman with ties to IS in Turkey who arranged his travel into Syria and then across to Mosul. There Khweis said he began more than a month of intensive Islamic studies and it was then he decided to try and flee.

“I didn’t agree with their ideology,” he said, explaining why he decided to escape a few weeks after arriving. “I made a bad decision to go with the girl and go to Mosul.”

Khweis said a friend helped him escape Mosul to nearby Tal Afar. From there he said he walked toward Kurdish troops. “I wanted to go to the Kurdish side,” he said, “because I know they are good with the Americans.”

Return to “Foreign Policy”