Just How Expensive Is That WalMart Down The Street

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

[/break1]com/economy/where-are-workers-most-underpaid-apple-wal-mart-or-mcdonald%E2%80%99s]Costs us almost $6k/year in taxes to have one in the area, per wally world employee. Apple and Micky D's aren't any better:

Apple, Walmart and McDonald's are among the largest corporate employers and profit-makers in the U.S., with a total of 2.6 million employees worldwide (1.6 million in the U.S.) and combined 2012 pre-tax profits of more than $88 billion.

All three companies pay the majority of their employees low wages: poverty-level wages. This is borne out by SEC data and the companies' own press releases. The only question is who gets away with the most profits while their employees are forced to tap into public money -- our tax money -- for food stamps, healthcare and other assistance.

So, even if you NEVER set foot in one of those trash bins, you're still out many dollars subsidizing sleeziness.

ducktape

Post by ducktape »

[/break1]com/economy/where-are-workers-most-underpaid-apple-wal-mart-or-mcdonald%E2%80%99s]Costs us almost $6k/year in taxes to have one in the area, per wally world employee. Apple and Micky D's aren't any better:Actually, when I read the source article, I'm not sure where I see Apple is costing us the way that WalMart and McDonalds are. The author says that Apple pays its retail employees world-wide an average of $12 an hour, and that 50,000 of its 80,000 retail employees are in the US. But what it doesn't say is how much US employees are paid, as opposed to employees in China or India, for example.

Also, while the low wages of McDonalds and WalMart actually have an impact on the local community in terms of direct costs paid by taxes, it's not clear that Apple does. I'm not entirely sure this article is intellectually honest -- unlike with the McDonalds and WalMart portion, I'm definitely getting a "liars figure" vibe with the Apple portion.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Apple is used as an example of underpaying employees at a higher level. I have no opinion one way or the other about Apple products (other than the criminal price for songs on iTunes), but they're really, really bad about paying employees at a rate that they've earned by the profit they generation.Apple fan bois are dangerous.

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I don't get these statistics. People are not giving up high-wage, high-benefit jobs to work at WalMart or McDonald's; they are taking those jobs because they would otherwise be unemployed. If WalMart didn't hire people, the burden on the taxpayer would be higher, not lower.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Return to “Economy”