Economically, Could Obama Be America's Best President?

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Forbes,http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung ... president/[/link]

Economically, Could Obama Be America's Best President? ...

Interview with Bob Deitrick, co-Author “Bulls, Bears and the Ballot Box” (BBBB):

Q- Bob, how much credit should Americans give President Obama for today’s improved equity values?

BBBB – Our research reviewed American economic performance since President Roosevelt installed the first Federal Reserve Board Chairman – Republican Marriner Eccles. We observed that even though there are multiple impacts on the economy, it was clear that policy decisions within each administration, from FDR forward, made a clear difference on performance. And relatively quickly.

Presidents universally take credit when the economy does well (such as Reagan,) and choose to blame other factors when the economy does poorly (such as Carter.) But there was a clear pattern, and link, between policy and financial market performance.

Although we hear almost no one in the Obama administration taking credit for record index highs, they should. Because the President deserves attention for how well this economy has done during his leadership.

The auto rescue plan has worked. American car manufacturers are still dominant and employing millions directly and in supplier companies. Wall Street reform has been painful but it has re-instated faith amongst investors. The markets are far more predictable than they were four years ago, as VIX numbers demonstrate greater faith and less risk.

Even for small investors, such as those limited to their 401(k) or IRA investments, the average annual compound return on stocks under President Obama has been more than 24% since the lows of March, 2009. This is a better result than either Clinton, Reagan or FDR – who were the prior winners in our book.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

mimi

Post by mimi »

INTERVIEW: How The Stimulus Remade America Without Anyone Noticing

September 11th, 2013 1:05 pm @LOLGOP

An interview with Michael Grunwald, author of The New New Deal.

excerpt:

Have your thoughts on the stimulus evolved at all since Obama’s re-election?

Not really on the substance. I still think it was a huge deal, as important as Obamacare, and I still think it was a huge success, as a short-term boost to the economy and as a long-term driver of change. But the re-election did get me thinking about the politics. The stimulus was hideously unpopular. And when it was done, Obama bailed out the auto industry, also hideously unpopular. Then he started with health care, even more unpopular. He kept doing all kinds of controversial things—pulling out of Iraq, pushing cap-and-trade, endorsing gay marriage—and pundits kept accusing him of political malpractice. But he got re-elected anyway—partly because the stimulus (and the auto bailout) made the economy much better than it would have been, partly because some bartender dude brought an iPhone to a fundraiser in Boca. My takeaway is that when you’ve got power, you might as well try to do stuff, rather than obsess about the political ramifications. Because really, who knows how the politics are going to play out?

Buy From Amazon.com

You said you’ve regretted spreading the meme that 97 percent of the Department of Energy’s stimulus loans were successful to contrast the GOP’s Solyndra fixation. Why?

I think I started that meme on Twitter during one of the presidential debates, after Mitt Romney claimed that half the stimulus-funded clean energy companies had gone bankrupt. Which was bullshit—as you said, only 3 percent of the companies that got loans went under. (It’s less than that for stimulus funds in general.) As I explain in the book, just about everything Republicans have said about Solyndra is bullshit. But I do regret that the 97 percent meme has become such a big thing. For starters, more companies are going to fail. That’s what happens in a capitalist economy. And then critics are going to say, oh, look, now it’s only 91 percent, or 82 percent, or 74 percent. But the point of the program wasn’t cradle-to-grave assurance of success for all these companies; it was a jump-start, with the hope that some of these companies will change the world. And they are. They’re bringing solar and wind and advanced biofuels to scale. In fact, if I had to criticize the loan program, I’d say some of its loans were too safe, financing projects that might have gotten financing without government help. I’d like to see more technological and entrepreneurial risk and more failure, which would mean even more upside from the projects that succeed.more:

[/break1]nationalmemo.com/interview-how-the-stimulus-remade-america-without-anyone-noticing/]http://www.nationalmemo.com/interview-h ... -noticing/

I always find it irritating that the GOP, and the TeaBaggers, go after Solyndra as well. I thought the whole point about the grants was to give money to further the research. If they could get money from independent backers, they wouldn't need the government money. :-?

Whoda invested in the internet in the early years?

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

From the National Memo article:Remember, Obama did end up getting over $1 trillion in additional stimulus in 2009 and 2010, even though Republicans were marching in lockstep against motherhood-and-apple pie stuff like unemployment benefits and even small-business tax cuts. George Voinovich told me he got into a fight with Mitch McConnell about those tax cuts; [highlight]McConnell said if Obama was for it, they had to be against it[/highlight].Doesn't matter what is good or bad for the country and its people. Why oh why do people vote for Republicans like McConnell?
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Highlands

Post by Highlands »

Doesn't matter what is good or bad for the country and its people. Why oh why do people vote for Republicans like McConnell?Because they're not blek?
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Return to “Economy”