Welcome to Fogbow Rebooted. My previous hosting company crashed my server and I couldn't restore the database, so we are starting Fogbow from scratch again. You will have to re-register in order to use the forum, and because of spammers, I will have to approve your membership.
As always, you can dismiss this announcement, little X button top right.

Roy Williams Hangs It Up

John Thomas8

Roy Williams Hangs It Up

Post by John Thomas8 »

3 championships, 903 career wins spread over 33 years, UNC coach Roy Williams is retiring with a news conference starting at 1600 today.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ms-retires

Jim

Re: Roy Williams Hangs It Up

Post by Jim »

Must have been easy for him since his kids didn't have to go to classes and his opponents were expected to have STUDENT-athletes.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm gonna be "that guy", the one that points out that fake courses are standard for college athletes. Basket Weaving 101 is nominally a joke but a fact of life on all D-1 campuses.

Roy has been an above board, honest coach his entire career within the system he was working.

zekeb
Occupation:: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I wouldn't have been able to pass BW 101. I didn't have the patience.

Hanno una spiegazione per tutto.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes colleges are masters of telepathic coursework for Athletes. Nothing much the coach could have done about it.

Foggy
Site Admin
Occupation:: Dick Tater, Genetically Modified Earthling, and Bioweapons Factory

Post by Foggy »

Still waiting to see if #2 son (Alex Bob Todd Whoever) will be accepted to UNC Chapel Hill in the fall. :pray:

Ornery ol' coot
Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:39 am Still waiting to see if #2 son (Alex Bob Todd Whoever) will be accepted to UNC Chapel Hill in the fall. :pray:
His odds are increased if he applies in each of his aliases. :biggrin:

Fanny Longfellow, the poet's wife, was a pioneer in the use of ether during childbirth despite family objections and prevailing religious attitudes against it.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I will never understand how UNC walked away from their cheating scandal. The NCAA drug it out so long they were able to let it die with a whimper. It must be nice to be a chosen one.

keith

Post by keith »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 am I will never understand how UNC walked away from their cheating scandal. The NCAA drug it out so long they were able to let it die with a whimper. It must be nice to be a chosen one.
You've never heard the word 'corruption'?

There are a few untouchables in the NCAA - UNC, Duke, USC, Notre Dame, Kentucky, possibly Kansas (we'll see if Self can survive).

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am :snippity:

There are a few untouchables in the NCAA - UNC, Duke, USC, Notre Dame, Kentucky, possibly Kansas (we'll see if Self can survive).
:yeahthat:
UCLA used to be in that group. I am not sure if they are any longer. I have heard that boosters spread some cash around to the right people so that John Wooden could sign Lew Alcindor.

I lived in in Kentucky in the early 90's. There was a big scandal with the UK program in 1988 when a package containing $1000 in cash and a videotape just happened to fall open at an Emery air freight facility at LAX. Emery employees reported the incident to the authorities. The package was supposedly sent by UK assistant coach Dwayne Casey to the father of a recruit named Chris Mills. The Kentucky people I knew all believed the package was actually planted by someone from UCLA. Whatever the truth was it worked. The scandal eventually led to head coach Eddie Sutton and all his staff resigning and penalties placed on the UK basketball program. The NCAA investigated the involvement of a third party but said there was no evidence.

In the long run Kentucky may have benefited. They hired Rick Pitino to replace Sutton and he put together a championship team in a few years.

Foggy
Site Admin
Occupation:: Dick Tater, Genetically Modified Earthling, and Bioweapons Factory

Post by Foggy »

USC didn't turn out to be untouchable. They got touched pretty hard in 2010,, and still haven't fully recovered eleven years later. They never will recover the Heisman they lost, or the games that were taken away.

I'm not whining about it - they deserved it. But to say USC is untouchable is just plain false.

Ornery ol' coot
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am
Reality Check wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 am I will never understand how UNC walked away from their cheating scandal. The NCAA drug it out so long they were able to let it die with a whimper. It must be nice to be a chosen one.

Kansas Jayhawks sign basketball coach Bill Self to lifetime contract

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... e-contract

sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

John Wooden retired at age 64. And lived another 35 years. He left when he was on top, with his tenth NCAA championship.

Wooden wasn't involved in any funny business in recruiting. Sam Gilbert took on that chore all by himself.

keith

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm
keith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am

Kansas Jayhawks sign basketball coach Bill Self to lifetime contract

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... e-contract
It is 100% meaningless, though to the average fan it would sound exciting.

The following is stolen from another forum and was not written by me...
...that is what we are talking about. The end of his career. Having a rolling 5 year contract is fairly standard and means a five year buyout. ... Also every contract contains a fire for cause clause that removes all liability from KU. What this means to me is that he has a new contract...

Two interesting things about Self's contract. The first is that he can not be fired for cause for any actions that occurred before the new contract. In other words he can't be fired for the allegations against him right now. Wonder why he insisted on that. LOL. The second is how Kansas cover itself.
"However, that stipulation doesn't unduly tie Kansas to Self financially. If the school fires Self without cause, he is due one year's compensation plus the amortized amount of the annual retention bonus dating from the date of the contract to the date of the termination. The buyout, then, could be anywhere between $5.41 million and $7.845 million.

That buyout number is significantly lower than public coaches of Self's stature. Kentucky would have owed $54 million to John Calipari if it fired him without cause by April 1 of this year. Fred Hoiberg's buyout number for the same date was $22 million. It was more than $16 million for Virginia's Tony Bennett, Oregon's Dana Altman, Texas A&M's Buzz Williams and Tennessee's Rick Barnes. Many others surpassed $10 million."

So they are standing behind Self for about 1/10 Kentucky is standing up for Cal or 1/2 of what Oregon is standing up for Dana. It should be noted that the contract with a automatic roll over is far from new. Izzo has a 7 year roll over and a huge number of coaches have 5.

If Self gets hit with a personal ban for paying the players he has been accused of or otherwise sufficiently embarrasses the University, Kansas can fire him, but will have to pay him a very cheap buyout.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook