Welcome to Fogbow Rebooted. My previous hosting company crashed my server and I couldn't restore the database, so we are starting Fogbow from scratch again. You will have to re-register in order to use the forum, and because of spammers, I will have to approve your membership.
As always, you can dismiss this announcement, little X button top right.

Bracket Madness - A Fairly Fruitless Endeavour

Chilidog

Re: Bracket Madness - A Fairly Fruitless Endeavour

Post by Chilidog »

You GO, Girl!

bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness" (and perhaps an admin could add it to the group): Obama's bracket.

Executive summary: 'Zaga over Illi, with Michigan and Baylor as the Final Four losers.

bob

Post by bob »

Taking a survey.

I've busted out of the work pool. Which is weird because three of my final four are still in, including both for the championship game. Yet in our pool, the same picks are middle of the pack, with a decent shot at it.

I get that, if I and someone else have similar picks, then the person with better earlier rounds should win. But I'm looking at scenarios in the work pool where I could correctly pick the final game and still lose to someone with no one in the final game.

This year the work pool revamped the scoring to massively favor underdogs. And I get part of bracketology is taking calculated risks. But I feel like the new scoring system basically rewards randomness. It may make it more "exciting" for more people (because anyone could win!), but it doesn't sufficiently weigh the risk in picking the deeper picks.

Should I say something to the work commish, or just throw darts for next year's pool?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

bob wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:50 pm Taking a survey.

I've busted out of the work pool. Which is weird because three of my final four are still in, including both for the championship game. Yet in our pool, the same picks are middle of the pack, with a decent shot at it.

I get that, if I and someone else have similar picks, then the person with better earlier rounds should win. But I'm looking at scenarios in the work pool where I could correctly pick the final game and still lose to someone with no one in the final game.

This year the work pool revamped the scoring to massively favor underdogs. And I get part of bracketology is taking calculated risks. But I feel like the new scoring system basically rewards randomness. It may make it more "exciting" for more people (because anyone could win!), but it doesn't sufficiently weigh the risk in picking the deeper picks.

Should I say something to the work commish, or just throw darts for next year's pool?
I used to run our family pool on Yahoo every year and I used a modified scoring system that was 1 point for 1st round picks, 3 points the for 2nd round, 5 for 3rd, 7 for 4th, 11 for 5th and 15 for picking the championship game correctly. I never game more points for picking upsets. The only time no one won without picking the champion correctly is when no one picked the champion correctly.

I agree a system that rewards upsets introduces a lot of randomness. I like it when it comes down to the final weekend with several brackets in the running. I think traditional 1-2-4-8-16-32 puts too much emphasis on picking the winner. I got that modified scoring system from a pool at work years ago.

northland10

Post by northland10 »

I tried the work pool once many many years ago but the boss got upset with all the holes in the wall. Even so, I ended up with only like 7 picks because most of the darts missed the paper, and I used the CAD printer for it.

I gave up on brackets after that. It's safer for all. It's not like I have a clue about college or pro basketball anyway (women's or men's).

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Jayhawks lost a game. Are they still going to play?

Fanny Longfellow, the poet's wife, was a pioneer in the use of ether during childbirth despite family objections and prevailing religious attitudes against it.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm Jayhawks lost a game. Are they still going to play?
Eta: I can only handle one team at a time. 8-)

Fanny Longfellow, the poet's wife, was a pioneer in the use of ether during childbirth despite family objections and prevailing religious attitudes against it.
bob

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm Jayhawks lost a game. Are they still going to play?
No: March Madness is a single-elimination tournament. USC's victory ended Kansas' season.

Tiredretiredlawyer

bob wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:35 pm
No: March Madness is a single-elimination tournament. USC's victory ended Kansas' season.
:crying: Thank you, bob. Now I don't have to bug Number One Son and Jayhawk alum.

bob

Post by bob »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:29 pmI used to run our family pool on Yahoo every year and I used a modified scoring system that was 1 point for 1st round picks, 3 points the for 2nd round, 5 for 3rd, 7 for 4th, 11 for 5th and 15 for picking the championship game correctly. I never game more points for picking upsets. The only time no one won without picking the champion correctly is when no one picked the champion correctly.

I agree a system that rewards upsets introduces a lot of randomness. I like it when it comes down to the final weekend with several brackets in the running. I think traditional 1-2-4-8-16-32 puts too much emphasis on picking the winner. I got that modified scoring system from a pool at work years ago.
The work-pool commish introduced this year a system in which the round points are multiplied by the seed number, so correctly predicting one underdog can outweigh predicting numerous ... overdogs.

So, unsurprisingly, the work pool already is over. Because the winner correctly predicted USC and UCLA (a whopping 55 points) in the Elite Eight, there's no way to overcome the rest.

The work-pool winner had the final game as Michigan over Ohio State (which was bounced in the first round) -- just like our pool's leader. :boxing:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:03 pm
The work-pool winner had the final game as Michigan over Ohio State (which was bounced in the first round) -- just like our pool's leader. :boxing:
That's my bro-in-law. So glad I invited him.... :bored:

bob

Post by bob »

Looks like it is Hondo ('Zaga) versus RC (Baylor). :boxing:

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

That Gonzaga/UCLA game was awesome!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

busterbunker wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:39 am That Gonzaga/UCLA game was awesome!
Agreed. That was actually fun to watch.

The ending was Un-real.

keith

Post by keith »

Ariaona v Stanford is gonna be a barn burner.

Go Cats!!!!

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

keith wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:48 am Ariaona v Stanford is gonna be a barn burner.

Go Cats!!!!
Bouncing the UConn women was an impressive feat. On to an all Pac12 final!

The Pac12 mens teams also generally performed much better, going far deeper in the tournament than I recall. Other conferences that were expected to do well (e.g. Big Ten) seem to have flamed out early this year. I’m not sure whether it was a COVID thing, or whether West Coast basketball is really coming into its own.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Looks like I am either first or fourth depending on the winner. UCLA played an awesome game. They kept letting Gonzaga get off the ropes though. The narrow win will probably work in Gonzaga's favor. They won't take Baylor lightly. I still like Baylor though.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

bob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 pm Looks like it is Hondo ('Zaga) versus RC (Baylor). :boxing:
Zags for the win.

zekeb
Occupation:: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Azastan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:26 pm
bob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 pm Looks like it is Hondo ('Zaga) versus RC (Baylor). :boxing:
Zags for the win.
I know where you live. :lol: They do look good. I hope they noticed the warning shot fired over their bow last night.

Hanno una spiegazione per tutto.
keith

Post by keith »

Arizona 50 Stanford 51

2:40 left

I predicted a barnburner and we got one.

BEARDOWN

keith

Post by keith »

53-54 Stanford
Arizona Ball
6.1 seconds

keith

Post by keith »

All done.

Congratulations Stanford

Helluva run Cats.

I doubt that the men are going to put on a better show tomorrow.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Death of Alabama fan who attended NCAA Tournament prompts contact tracing in Indiana

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/luke-ratli ... =115404874
Luke Ratliff, a 23-year-old Alabama student, died after a brief illness, his father, Bryan Ratliff, told The Tuscaloosa News. The newspaper, citing multiple sources it did not identify, reported Ratliff died of complications related to COVID-19. The elder Ratliff could not immediately be reached for comment Saturday by The Associated Press.

"Based on a recent news story, the Marion County Public Health Department and the Indiana State Department of Health are contacting the Alabama Department of Public Health to determine if anyone in Indianapolis may have been exposed to COVID-19 by any Alabama resident who visited Indianapolis in recent days," the county said Saturday in a statement provided by the NCAA. "We are conducting an investigation following the county and state's standard contact tracing procedures."

The younger Ratliff was hospitalized shortly after returning to Tuscaloosa on March 29, one day after attending Alabama's game against UCLA at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, the News reported. He was known as Fluffopotamus, familiar to many in his plaid jacket this season and the leader of the Crimson Chaos basketball campus support group.

CBS affiliate WIAT-TV reported that Ratliff was recognized on March 2 during the team's last home game of the season against Auburn. He received a team ball signed by head coach Nate Oats and got a standing ovation from the crowd.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Jim

Post by Jim »

Azastan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:26 pm
Zags for the win.
I did 4 brackets for the men, 3 seriously trying to get a perfect bracket, 1 picking all the higher seeds only. The higher seeds are kicking my ass. That's why I don't play for money...fun only.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

That was surprisingly easy. Gonzaga made one little run.