Re: Tesla

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm
I guess with more of these incidents being reported that there soon will be a "dead man" switch installed in this type of cars. Alarm, if not deactivated within seconds the car stops. With the programmed intelligence it will drive to the curb or emergency lane to halt.
I have two vehicles with level 2 autonomy including lane keeping. They require occasional pressure or similar inputs on the steering wheel or the car will slow down and stop. Certain Cadillacs and other cars with level 2 monitor the eyeballs of the driver and do the same.

When I'm really old a decrepit :geezer: I am looking forward to at least level 4 autonomy.
:o You employ two chauffeurs? Or is one a carriage driver?
One carries a lantern in front of the carriage and puts down drawbridges as my driver approaches them.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:42 am

Sterns driving has really gone downhill since they stopped the chariot races at the Colloseum :(
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:42 am
Sterns driving has really gone downhill since they stopped the chariot races at the Colloseum :(
'Fraid you're misinformed! He and his California friends resurrected the races as private, invitation only events to fill quiet Sundays — why else do you think the Los Angeles Rams had to move to St. Louis? ;)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 am
Suranis wrote:
'Fraid you're misinformed! He and his California friends resurrected the races as private, invitation only events to fill quiet Sundays — why else do you think the Los Angeles Rams had to move to St. Louis? ;)
:shh:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Suranis wrote:
We still manage to get some racing done.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Speaking of racing...

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/te ... rburgring/
As part of Porsche's build-up to Wednesday's launch of the Taycan electric car, it took a track-prepped prototype to Germany's famous Nürburgring Nordschleife. This 12.9-mile (20.8km) track, built in the 1920s as a depression-era public works project, is widely considered to be one of (if not the) most challenging race tracks in the world. It's narrow, extremely bumpy, very fast in places, and rises and falls a total of 900 feet (300m) throughout the lap.

Opinions remain divided about how relevant a Nordschleife lap time is to your average Jane or Joe driving their daily commute, but the fact remains that a 'Ring lap time is useful ammo for marketing and bench racing. Which is why Elon Musk took to Twitter last night to let the world know that he's sending a Model S around the track they call "the Green Hell" next week in an effort to beat the Taycan's 7 minute 42 second run.

To which I say: Bravo! I've been dying to see Tesla engage with motorsport for at least five years now, and this is as close as the company—which builds ludicrously quick cars, lest we forget—has gotten. But it's going to be a tough challenge for the car.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

If past experience is any guide, the Tesla will erupt in flames on the backstretch. Its batteries overheat after a few minutes of the electric version of WOT.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Quick isn't all you need at Nürburgring, you need a car that is from the ground up built for road racing.

If the Tesla doesn't catch fire, there might be parts of it that fell off all the way around the track.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Gregg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Quick isn't all you need at Nürburgring, you need a car that is from the ground up built for road racing.

If the Tesla doesn't catch fire, there might be parts of it that fell off all the way around the track.
Off Topic
There was an episode of Top Gear (the old UK version) where Jeremy Clarkson drove some sporty car (I don't know what model, probably a black one, can you tell I don't know about cars?) around the Nürburgring. He was pleased with his lap time but local racing driver Sabine (can't recall her surname) said flippantly that his time was rubbish and she could do better in a van. Cue episode idea!

So they return with a standard Ford Transit van and Sabine rockets around the track. Seriously fast, not quite fast enough so they pull out seats, trim, dead weight and she has another go, even faster.

The funny mental image is that this was on an open track day, when anybody can pay a fee and take their Ferrari Penisetta or Porsche Sauschwanz onto the track for a few laps.

Imagine a guy (think Karl Koenigs perhaps) feeling he's really The Man as he nestles in the leather seat and revels in the engine's throaty roar as his foot caresses the throttle when – what's that? – he notices a white blob growing in the mirror. As the bucking blob lurches past, he looks up to see a young blonde women calmly hammering along in a delivery van, as if she is taking an urgent shipment of cheeses to local delicatessens. It would take at least a month for his testosterone level to return to normal!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 am

Sabine Schmitz is a professional race car driver who often "taxis" passengers around the 'Ring at speeds that make them lose their lunch or loose their bowels. She is seriously fast and knows the 'Ring very well. She "only" went 10:08 in a van while Clarkson did a 9:59 in a Jaguar S-type.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 am
Sabine Schmitz is a professional race car driver who often "taxis" passengers around the 'Ring at speeds that make them lose their lunch or loose their bowels. She is seriously fast and knows the 'Ring very well. She "only" went 10:08 in a van while Clarkson did a 9:59 in a Jaguar S-type.
And that is neat, but it also kind of shows what I meant, a" professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt" in a van still gets out run by a schlep in a Jag. :mrgreen:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 am

There was a commercial once for the Mustang Cobra being unpacked at Customs in Germany, and the Border Agent asks, very officiously "What is wrong, can you not find a good German car? To which the American guy replies "No, I couldn't find a good American road"

Return to “Economy”