Stock Market

RoadScholar

Re: Stock Market

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:14 pm

“Bouncing” is also a morbid-humor term for what happens after a complete parachute failure. :shock:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am

Oh goodie: Dow down 666 points this morning; off 2600 points (over 10%) THIS MONTH.

Nice going, Trump!
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am
Oh goodie: Dow down 666 points this morning; off 2600 points (over 10%) THIS MONTH.

Nice going, Trump!
It is just a glitch. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:13 am

'Tis only a flesh wound.

I've heard this bull before.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am

RoadScholar wrote:

Nice going, Trump!
Just sayin'.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am
RoadScholar wrote:

Nice going, Trump!
Just sayin'.
This is what's driving me crazy. I look at it (@ 11:25 eastern) and it's down "only" 530. Like everything else trump has normalized, now I'm relieved when it only drops a few hundred.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:41 am

And the Trump addition to the National Debt is now $2T. You know, the debt he said he'd eliminate.

When he said "Only I can fix America," he was right... in the ironic meaning, as in "I'll fix your wagon, mister!" or "You sure are in a fine fix this time."

Aren't we though!
X3

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am
NMgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am
RoadScholar wrote:

Nice going, Trump!
Just sayin'.
This is what's driving me crazy. I look at it (@ 11:25 eastern) and it's down "only" 530. Like everything else trump has normalized, now I'm relieved when it only drops a few hundred.
666 is "the number of the Beast," in other words, the anti-Christ.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Above the Law: Blame Trump’s Drunken Boxing Style Economic Non-Policy For Worst Annual Stock Market Returns Since The Financial Crisis

If President Trump had one iota of financial sense, he'd publicly take responsibility for the recent market volatility.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 pm

RoadScholar wrote:

Nice going, Trump!
Donny is such a successful President, that in addition to gas prices, he has lowered stock prices so that more people can get into the stock market

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:18 pm

The New York Times

Verified account

@nytimes
2m2 minutes ago
More
It wasn't just Apple. A warning from Delta, weak data from manufacturers and a shrug from the White House made for a bad day for stocks.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

In case anyone is feeling seasick. 8-)

Crash.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Am I being detained?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Vox

Verified account

@voxdotcom
3h3 hours ago
More
Trump in January 2018: “Dow just crashes through 25,000. Congrats!”

Trump in January 2019: “Dow just broke 25,000. Tremendous news!”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:28 am

Business Insider: Stock valuations are the 'most obscene' since the Great Depression — and one market bear says Wall Street experts are giving people false hope before the next crash
John Hussman — the outspoken investor and former professor who's been predicting a stock crash — says equities are currently trading at the "most obscene valuations in US history."

He disagrees with the recent sentiment shift back towards bullishness, and argues that Wall Street experts are giving investors false hope by overhyping earnings growth.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 pm

CNN
Dow falls 400 points as recession indicator flashes red

New York (CNN Business)The Dow fell 400 points Friday as a leading recession indicator stoked fear among investors.

The yield on 3-month Treasuries rose above the rate on 10-year Treasuries for the first time since 2007 — a shift that spooked Wall Street and sent the Dow plunging. Investors have piled back into stocks after a sell-off in late 2018.

The flattening yield curve, or the difference between short- and long-term rates, has worried investors for months. A narrowing spread is typically seen as sign that long-term confidence in the economy is waning, which could signal an eventual economic contraction.

Friday's flip added to an already rough start for the Dow, which is now down about 1.5%.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Associated Press
Markets Right Now: Dow falls 500 points on trade jitters

NEW YORK (AP) — The latest on developments in financial markets (all times local):

1:20 p.m.

Stocks are falling sharply on Wall Street as the U.S. and China move closer to an escalation of their trade fight.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is down more than 500 points.

Technology companies, which rely heavily on trade with China, bore the brunt of the selling on Tuesday. Apple lost 2.1% and Microsoft gave back 2.2%

China's top economic official will travel to Washington this week ahead of a Friday deadline by which Washington said it would sharply raise tariffs on Chinese goods.

Safe-play sectors like utilities held up better than the rest of the market.

The S&P 500 fell 54 points, or 1.9%, to 2,877.

The Dow fell 506 points, or 1.9%, to 25,931. The Nasdaq fell 175 points, or 2.2%, to 7,947.

tek

Post by tek » Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Wheeeee! DJIA down 470-someodd..
d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 am

NBC News
Dow plunges 600 points as China hits U.S. with $60B in tariffs in response to Trump

"I love collecting BIG TARIFFS!” Trump tweeted over the weekend, challenging Beijing to strike a trade deal.

Wall Street plunged Monday morning, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average falling by almost 600 points in response to a ratcheting up of trade tensions after China said it would raise tariffs on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods, starting June 1.

Global markets have shown intense volatility over the past few weeks, with all three major indices in the U.S. seeing an extended sell-off as investors parsed the likelihood of a resolution to months of trade negotiations between the world's two largest economies. Last week was the worst for the S&P 500 so far this year, with the index falling by more than 3.5 percent. The Dow Jones saw its biggest decline since March. ...

The decline in trade relations has left businesses, investors, and policymakers across the world concerned about the negative impacts on an already slowing global economy.
Adding:
CNBC: $1.2 trillion in stock market value lost so far from trade war sell-off with more expected

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 am

Yield Curves Invert in U.S., U.K. as ‘Doom and Gloom’ Spreads

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ial-crisis
The stream of investors seeking refuge in the safest parts of the market has triggered yet another recession warning, with yield curves inverting from the U.S. to the U.K.

The gap between two- and 10-year yields dropped below zero on both sides of the Atlantic after a wave of soft economic data globally. Weaker-than-forecast Chinese retail sales and industrial output set the mood for the markets, with data later in the day showing Germany’s economy contracted, adding to the gloom.

“The bond market is saying central banks are behind the curve,” said Marc Ostwald, global strategist at ADM Investor Services in London. “It’s all doom and gloom on the global economy.”
Trump and Brexit are sowing doom. :(

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am

NotaPerson wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm
In case anyone is feeling seasick. 8-)

Crash.JPG
I have a 529 plan in which I can direct investments. Years ago I was in investments that had the opportunity to achieve large appreciation. And they did. More recently my fund managers invested in more conservative stocks and bonds. Last Thursday, when I decided I had enough to put my daughter through law school (when combined with her merit scholarship) I directed the plan to put all her funds in money markets; the first time I departed from the fund managers' positions. Now if the Dow crashes, as I think it will (good bye, Donny!), I will not be affected very much, if at all. 33 months to go and counting!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:45 am

Well... down almost over 600 today. :evil:

And... now down 800. :sick:
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 am

Cross-posting

WaPo
9 key countries are on the verge of recession, driving fears the U.S. could follow

Nine major economies around the world are in recession or on the verge of one, raising fears that a global economic slowdown could help tip the United States into an economic contraction as well.

The ugly stock market drop Wednesday began after bad news from two of the world’s largest economies. China reported the worst manufacturing output in 17 years, and Germany said that its economy actually shrank in the spring.

Many of the countries slowing down or in recession have a common problem: They are heavily dependent on selling goods overseas. And this is not a good time to have an export-driven economy. China’s slump and President Trump’s trade war are both undercutting with the global exchange of goods that had helped power the global economy for decades, and some of these countries are seeing sharp declines in exports.

In other nations, notably Argentina and Russia, long-standing problems at home are bubbling over at a moment when global investors are skittish and quick to bolt, which exacerbates trouble.

As the woes add up, there aren’t a lot of obvious rescue boats to help, which is why investors are fleeing to the usual safe havens: gold and government bonds.
Adding:
Associated Press: US recession fears stalk markets as stocks fall again

LONDON (AP) — Global stock markets fell sharply again Thursday after Wall Street endured its worst day of the year as recession fears in the U.S. and around the world escalated.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Xposting
U.S. stocks rise as bullish earnings, retail sales offset trade issues for now

The Dow Gains 74 Points Because the U.S. Consumer Is Strong

US STOCKS-Wall St higher on strong retail sales data

Dow's nearly 100-point climb led by gains for Walmart, Visa shares
Just a sample of the headlines on the Yahoo Dow site a couple of hours ago

The Dow as I write this? -83 points.

Ya.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:05 pm

ABC News
@ABC
·
3m
JUST IN: Dow Jones tumbles more than 600 points as rising tensions between U.S. and China unnerve investors already on edge about the deteriorating world economy. https://abcn.ws/322DoUa

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 am

When I went to bed last night futures were down over 300 so this morning (NBC reports) trump announces that China contacted them to resume talks and wants to make a deal "very, very badly." Futures shoot into positive territory.

I'm trying to find some kind of verification from China but I'm just seeing screenshots on twitter saying they aren't aware of any further communication. I'll try a bit longer to see if they're bonafide.

Edit: Here's a newer link from NBC and a quote:
When asked about the phone calls, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said, “I haven’t heard about this.” News of Trump's comments was breaking as he was addressing reporters.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... d_nn_tw_ma

A couple more paragraphs from the link:
Speaking to reporters, Trump heaped praise on Chinese President Xi Jinping calling him a “great leader” and said China wants “to do something very, very badly.” He said the calls were at the "highest levels."

"We are probably in a much better position now than any time in the negotiations," Trump said in a meeting Monday with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Now I get that nobody in China is going to say trump is full of shit. I know they'd like to reach a deal. But until I hear a Chinese spox confirm something, I figure trump was simply trying to keep the market from crashing a few hundred more points. And if his rich buds pick up some cheap stock in the process, all the better.

Edit 2: And the tapdance begins:
Jim Acosta
@Acosta
· 1h
After initially saying Chinese officials called over the weekend to restart talks about trade, Trump was less specific when pressed by reporters for details on the calls: “I don’t want to talk about calls. We’ve had calls. We’ve had calls at the highest levels.”
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Economy”