Sarah Palin v. NY Times

NMgirl

Re: Sarah Palin v. NY Times

Post by NMgirl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks rpenner.
images.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Neither added "detail" nor artful "synthesis" is any substitute for substance, and on careful inspection, it is plain that the proposed complaint is simply an extended rehash of the same implausible accusations of actual malice that the Court previously considered and dismissed as insufficient.
I think that pretty much says it all succinctly and to the point. Smack!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm
Neither added "detail" nor artful "synthesis" is any substitute for substance, and on careful inspection, it is plain that the proposed complaint is simply an extended rehash of the same implausible accusations of actual malice that the Court previously considered and dismissed as insufficient.
I think that pretty much says it all succinctly and to the point. Smack!!!
Yeah, but you have to have a little intelligence and flexibility of mind to work out that the correct reading of this message is "However you shovel it around, this is the same old horseshit, including your nasty insults, which don't help you." and it's subtext "now f*** off".

Perhaps courts should issue two versions of a judgement: a long one in polished, polite legalese and a shorter, pithier one written in the vernacular, which doesn't mess around? (Just kidding, anybody should know a FOAD missive when they receive it, even if it lacks the clarity of the UK's famed Arkell v. Pressdram.)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Uh, you're forgetting who this is about. Caribou Barbie's elevator not only doesn't go to the top floor, it is flat out missing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

“Mrs. Palin, you could give me a handful of Vicodyn and a prefrontal lobotomy and I still wouldn’t be stupid enough to think there is merit in your complaint.”

Oh, if only.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am

Sarah Palin’s defamation suit against New York Times resurrected by appeals court

Dan Mangan

A federal appeals court has reversed a judge’s decision dismissing former Alaska governor Sarah Palin’s defamation lawsuit against the New York Times for a 2017 editorial.
The Times editorial had suggested that an ad the former Republican vice presidential candidate Palin’s political action committee had run incited the 2011 shooting of Rep. Gabby Giffords.
The appellate panel said Judge Jed Rakoffs of U.S. District Court in Manhattan had relied on facts outside of legal filings in the case to dismiss Palin’s suit against The Times.

A federal appeals court on Tuesday reversed a judge’s decision dismissing former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s defamation lawsuit against the New York Times for a 2017 editorial that suggested an image produced byPalin’s political action committee incited the 2011 shooting of Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona.

The appellate panel said Judge Jed Rakoff of U.S. District Court in Manhattan in 2017 had relied on facts outside of legal filings in the case to dismiss the suit against The Times by Palin, who was the Republican vice presidential nominee in 2008.

Rakoff had “erred” by relying on evidence introduced at a hearing in the case, according to the decision by the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.

That evidence was testimony by James Bennet, the editorial page editor who had written the editorial in dispute, who said he had been unaware of past Times articles and The Atlantic, where previously was editor-in-chief, which reported that there was no connection between Palin and her PAC and Jared Loughner, the man who seriously wounded Gifford in a mass shooting.

The appeals court sent the case back to Rakoff, and directed the suit to proceed to the discovery phase, in which parties would begin taking depositions and collecting evidence from each other.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/sarah-p ... ected.html

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Great. What are her damages?
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:43 am

Her sterling reputation?

The cancellation of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" in 2010 even though the NY Times editorial was published in June 2017?
Sarah Palin's Alaska is an American reality television show hosted by former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. According to Palin, the show's aim is to bring "the wonder and majesty of Alaska to all Americans". The series, which began airing on TLC in November 2010, broadcast 8 episodes and 1 clip show. The show was part travelogue and part documentary series, according to a story in The Vancouver Sun, six months before the release of the series trailer. In reviewing the first episode, The New York Times said the show allows viewers to "observe Ms. Palin observing nature". The show was not renewed for a second season.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:43 am
Her sterling reputation?

The cancellation of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" in 2010 even though the NY Times editorial was published in June 2017?
Sarah Palin's Alaska is an American reality television show hosted by former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. According to Palin, the show's aim is to bring "the wonder and majesty of Alaska to all Americans". The series, which began airing on TLC in November 2010, broadcast 8 episodes and 1 clip show. The show was part travelogue and part documentary series, according to a story in The Vancouver Sun, six months before the release of the series trailer. In reviewing the first episode, The New York Times said the show allows viewers to "observe Ms. Palin observing nature". The show was not renewed for a second season.
Was she observing Russia? :lol:

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:01 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:43 am
Her sterling reputation?

The cancellation of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" in 2010 even though the 2014 Palin family brawl occurred in October 2014? I note that she never sued over these headlines:

Sarah Palin's Drunken Post Brawl Rant to Cops (AUDIO)

The Police Report From The Palin Family Brawl Is Full Of Crazy Details
6 must-reads from Palin family brawl police report

And she never sued over February 2012 Game Change movie, where she was portrayed as a mentally ill, uneducated, mean-spirited nitwit.

And she never sued over any of the books that portrayed her as a mentally ill, uneducated, mean-spirited, horrible-mother, vindictive nitwit, for example:

The Rogue : Searching for the Real Sarah Palin by Joe McGinniss (2011)

The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power by Geoffrey Dunn (2011)

These and many more will be gathered by the defense to refute the reputation element. Sarah will likely regret pushing for discovery.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am

Or that she closed SarahPAC at the end of 2016 when it ran out of money, even though the NYT article was published many months after that?

Sarah Palin Closes PAC, May Signal End of Political Life (Newsmax!)

The end of Sarah Palin is here (WaPo)

By June 2017, her reputation was not only merely dead, it was really most sincerely dead.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:30 am

SLQ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am
Or that she closed SarahPAC at the end of 2016 when it ran out of money, even though the NYT article was published many months after that?

Sarah Palin Closes PAC, May Signal End of Political Life (Newsmax!)

The end of Sarah Palin is here (WaPo)

By June 2017, her reputation was not only merely dead, it was really most sincerely dead.
She run out of money? Well I bet the NYT article came just in time to fill her purse.... :blackeye:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 am

Palin was a mayor and couldn't even complete one term as governor, IIRC. I'm not sure how she remained relevant to anyone after the 2008 campaign fail. She's never tried hard to govern, as far as I can tell. Why didn't she run for Senate? Or stick it out as governor?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:09 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 am
Palin was a mayor and couldn't even complete one term as governor, IIRC. I'm not sure how she remained relevant to anyone after the 2008 campaign fail. She's never tried hard to govern, as far as I can tell. Why didn't she run for Senate? Or stick it out as governor?
Stick it out as governor? She wasn't up to the job and she knew it. Once she was paired up with McCain she knew her every move would be under a microscope. Her incompetence would have been put on display. If Wasilla has a weak mayor system her job was mostly that of being a figurehead.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:30 am

Nice reasoning, Zeke, but that conjecture requires Sarah Palin to have a degree of self-awareness that very few RWers demonstrate, especially in Alaska. Perhaps she found she didn't like having a real job with real responsibilities?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:31 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:30 am
Nice reasoning, Zeke, but that conjecture requires Sarah Palin to have a degree of self-awareness that very few RWers demonstrate, especially in Alaska. Perhaps she found she didn't like having a real job with real responsibilities?
Considering that she thinks that her family is wonderful and can do no wrong and have turned out wonderfully, and that she is wonderful and can do no wrong, I would say her self awareness is right at RWer bog standard. Under ordinary circumstances one might have said she rose to her level of incompetence, but I think she far exceeded that as I am not sure what that level might have been.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am

But she went to what... five colleges? :lol:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am
She actually graduate from any/one of them? With any kind of a real degree.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am
ZekeB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am
spect

She actually graduate from any/one of them? With any kind of a real degree.
I think she has a degree in sports broadcasting or something similar. Could you imagine listening to her doing a live broadcast?

I suspect that she had too low of a GPA to graduate from any one college, so she transferred credits and did her final year by keeping a minimum GPA.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”