Cops Behaving Badly

Jim

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm
I figured at least one person would say the cop was too rough on the fat old lady. Figured wrong.

Lady was a jerk so the tasing probably did her good.
Sometimes, even old ladies ask for it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:10 pm
OK.

Sometimes cops do it the right way.
When police were called to wrangle a "vicious" pit bull from a residential neighborhood in Texas, the responding officer said he realized almost instantly that the animal in question was just a big softy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=54878454
When one is a dog person one can deduct the personality of even a vicious looking dog. I can understand that a non-dog person will shy away from a dog that is loud and looks menacing. I one was wandering with a group of collegues when a big Bernhardiner came barking and rushing thru the fields from the farm house. The other guys left fast, while I did see a year old youngster in the dog just wanting to be playful.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm
They don't even ask you to sign the tickets here anymore. Maybe they got tired of arguing with people or it may have to do with the fact they are computerized now, so the cops just print you a copy in their car and the court prints their copy later on their own printer.

They just give you the ticket and tell you to pay it or go to court.
It's been a long time since I've taken a driver's license test in the US, but from what I remembered the "legal mechanism" of the signature on the ticket was a way of letting you go free without posting any kind of a bond, but ensuring your appearance in court if needed. How is this now accomplished without a signature? Was there a change in the vehicle code?

KXG

Post by KXG » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Sorry, but just because someone thinks a dog is a big softy doesn’t make it so. In open court a family recently testified their pair of pit bulls were family dogs, playing with both the parents and children. This same pair of pit bulls attacked me, without provocation, in the dark and from behind, ripping a hole in the back of my right thigh and causing me $10k in medical expenses, including rabies treatment as owners refused to quarantine the animals. Now the back story is that I am a dog person; I’ve owned many dogs, worked with dogs, hunted with dogs and generally like dogs. I’m not afraid of dogs, but I was hit from behind without warning and taken to the ground.

I’m appalled by police entering private residences and executing their dogs, but at the same time not willing to tolerate people letting their pit bulls run free. We’ve had people killed and maimed in this city by free roaming pit bulls and it’s only by chance I was attacked, and not the kids coming out to wait for the school bus.

If you let your pit bull run free in my neighborhood I will execute it, and then call animal control to cite you for letting the animal run.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Somerset wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm
They don't even ask you to sign the tickets here anymore. Maybe they got tired of arguing with people or it may have to do with the fact they are computerized now, so the cops just print you a copy in their car and the court prints their copy later on their own printer.

They just give you the ticket and tell you to pay it or go to court.
It's been a long time since I've taken a driver's license test in the US, but from what I remembered the "legal mechanism" of the signature on the ticket was a way of letting you go free without posting any kind of a bond, but ensuring your appearance in court if needed. How is this now accomplished without a signature? Was there a change in the vehicle code?
I believe the logic is that the traffic ticket is a criminal summons the officer serves on you (which doesn't require a signature).
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 pm

My personal favorite;
"Why are you writing me a ticket instead of arresting REAL criminals (* if they stop here) like murderers (** if they add this)?"

The correct responses are;
* "You're driving drunk. You ARE a real criminal."
** "I'm not the murder police. I'm the drunk police."

Oddly enough, wrangling drunks in the middle of the night was my favorite job ever. There are still times I miss it. Not the getting pissed/puked on and working gory accidents part, though.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 pm
My personal favorite;
"Why are you writing me a ticket instead of arresting REAL criminals (* if they stop here) like murderers (** if they add this)?"

The correct responses are;
* "You're driving drunk. You ARE a real criminal."
** "I'm not the murder police. I'm the drunk police."

Oddly enough, wrangling drunks in the middle of the night was my favorite job ever. There are still times I miss it. Not the getting pissed/puked on and working gory accidents part, though.
My favorite was the guys who blurted out "I'm not drunk. I only had 7 beers" in response to "Can I please see your license and proof of insurance?"
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:56 am

I passed field sobriety tests in California three times and was never arrested for DUI. This is for professional drunk drivers only, don't try this at home!
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am

It's morons like this that make all cops look bad. It is a recognized technique in some very limited situations where officer safety would be at issue if they had to dismount in a large crowd, but just moving a misdemeanor suspect from one place to another is just stupid. The optics of this will follow Galveston for a very long time, as it should.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chief-apolog ... 58863.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 am

Picture slavery episodes... :doh:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 am
Picture slavery episodes... :doh:
My thought was, change the details (clothing, uniforms, cars) and it looks like a still from Roots.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 am

Technically an old case but the cop was recently indicted and some new footage got posted yesterday:
During the traffic stop, Rose choked former NFL player Desmond Marrow while Marrow was on the ground and handcuffed from behind. The incident, as well as statements by Rose concerning the incident, was captured on his in-car video camera system.

An Internal Affairs investigation later revealed that Rose used unnecessary force. Investigators say he was recorded admitting that he choked Marrow and that he was not going to write the information in his report.

Clip of the cop admitting he choked the guy is at minute 13.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Sex Crimes Detective Who Raped Teen Victim While Investigating Her Case Gets 3 Years in Prison
A Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department sex crimes detective was sentenced to three years in prison for raping a 15-year-old girl in 2017 while he was investigating a previous sexual assault she reported, authorities say.

In July, Neil David Kimball, 46, of Agoura, California, pleaded guilty to a lewd act with a child and unlawful sexual intercourse, Ventura County District Attorney Gregory Totten announced in a news release.

On Thursday, Kimball was sentenced to the maximum term of three years in state prison for sexually assaulting the teen.

Kimball was also ordered to register as a sex offender, pay the victim $50,000 for her pain and suffering and have no contact with her.

Kimball met the teen when he was working as a detective in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau, the district attorney says in the release.

During his investigation, Kimball “befriended the victim,” Totten said in the release.

He later sexually assaulted her while she allegedly was bound and tied, Totten said in a previous release.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am

Three years only? Why was Epstein so concerned?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 am

Skip to 8:30 for the highlight.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 am

A young black football player was arrested after claiming ‘cocaine’ on his car was bird poop. It was bird poop.

By Radley Balko
Opinion writer
August 9

Chalk another one up to faulty drug field tests:

The possession of cocaine charge has been dropped against Georgia Southern quarterback Shai Werts, the prosecutor in Saluda County, South Carolina, told the Savannah Morning News on Thursday, Aug. 8.

Al Eargle, the Deputy Solicitor for the 11th Judicial Circuit which includes Saluda County, told Werts’ attorney, Townes Jones IV, that these kinds of charges would not be pressed on “his watch,” Jones said.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) tests were conducted on the substance samples collected from the hood of Werts’ 2016 Dodge Charger, but the results confirmed that no controlled substance was present in the samples.

“I have not seen (the SLED results) yet,” Eargle said on a phone call Thursday night. “But I was informed that the test did come back and that there was no controlled substance found.”

A native of nearby Clinton, South Carolina, Werts was charged on July 31 with misdemeanor possession of cocaine and speeding after his silver Dodge Charger was clocked going 80 mph on Chappells Highway at 8:58 that evening in Saluda County. The speeding charge remains.

Werts, the Eagles’ starting quarterback, was suspended from the team for two days before returning to practice on Sunday.

Field tests taken by two different officers on the substances tested positive for cocaine with two different kits, in two different spots of the hood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... bird-poop/

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am

Who does cocaine off the hood of their car?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am

If they're doing cocaine off the hood, who knows what else they have been doing. EWWWWWW!!!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 am

IMHO the cop was fairly professional but had a mindset skewed by his profession: all light powder looking substance must be narcotics. Not like a car hood can pick up dirt from the road, or a truck in front lost some powder of sorts. The officer had his doubts but when a field test kit returns a positive it's hard to think otherwise.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am

Where was consent to search given? The car was searched prior to the suspect being arrested and prior to the dog poop being found on the hood. Where was probable cause for the search?
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 am

neonzx wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am
The car was searched prior to the suspect being arrested and prior to the dog poop being found on the hood. Where was probable cause for the search?
Was it? I thought he was arrested for speeding and then the car was searched?

I'm going to make a wild statement here but I believe the cop performed and read the test kit incorrectly. If any cops want to correct me please do so.

The correct procedure is to break Ampule 1 wait to see if the pink solution turns blue, then break ampule 2 then ampule 3. The video, while blurry, shows that he broke ampule 2 first, then broke the remaining two ampules then checked the color of the solution. The cop claims the test is positive because the solution "turned pink". A positive result for cocaine should be a biphasic solution of blue on the bottom and pink on the top. I believe the cop performed and read the test incorrectly.

http://www.bvda.com/EN/download/np_inst ... s_2002.pdf
http://images.tigerofficer.com/Manuals/ ... 657366.pdf
http://www.safariland.com/products/fore ... ml#start=1

(Looks like there are multiple brands but they all seem to use the same reagent and the 3 ampule tests all have the same instructions.)

Also, I really can't see a justification for doing the test at all. It clearly looked like bird poop, it's unlikely the guy was doing cocaine off the hood of the car or dumped cocaine on the hood of his car. I strongly suspect the cop knew it wasn't cocaine.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 am

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am
Who does cocaine off the hood of their car?
Maybe the birds were users? :confused:

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 am

neonzx wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am
Where was consent to search given? The car was searched prior to the suspect being arrested and prior to the dog poop being found on the hood. Where was probable cause for the search?
Plain sight, I would think.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 am

Imagine if he had a can of Shinola in the car.....
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am

He told the guy he was going to jail for speeding before he put him in the patrol car. You don't actually have to say the words "you're under arrest" for it to be true.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”