Cops Behaving Badly

RTH10260

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 pm

I guess more a case of racial profiling than cops behaving really bad
Cincinnati Police Sued After Realtor, Client Handcuffed While Inspecting Home for Sale
According to the lawsuit, officers handcuffed two men during a scheduled visit to a West Price Hill house that was up for sale. One of the men was a licensed realtor.

NICK SWARTSELL JUL 16, 2019 9 AM 1

A potential homebuyer and his realtor filed a lawsuit in federal court yesterday against the City of Cincinnati over an incident in which the two were allegedly handcuffed by Cincinnati Police while legally inspecting a house that was for sale.

According to the lawsuit filed by attorney Chris Finney, Anthony Edwards and his realtor Jerry Isham were scheduled to the view the house at 1093 Morado Drive in West Price Hill last Nov. 17 and gained entry via a key left in a lockbox at the front door.

As they entered, a neighbor and former police officer named Thomas Branigan called Cincinnati Police to report them breaking and entering.

"I just seen two black male subjects force the front door open," Branigan, who is white, told police according to the lawsuit.

Branigan also indicated that the house was for sale and that he did not see either man with a weapon, but that he himself did have a firearm.

Three CPD officers — Dustin Peet, David Knox and Rose Valentino — responded to the call. Peet and Knox arrived first, with Knox going around the left side of the house and Peet waiting out front, the lawsuit states. Valentino arrived shortly afterward and went around the right side of the house.

Peet saw Isham and Edwards through the front window of the house and commanded them to come out. As they complied, the lawsuit states, Valentino unholstered her firearm and pointed it at the two.

The lawsuit includes a body camera still that appears to show Valentino pointing a weapon, either a firearm or a taser.

Edwards told the officers that he was there to see the house and that Isham is a real estate agent. Valentino put Isham in handcuffs "until they can confirm" that story, according to the suit.

"Edwards proceeded, with passion, to raise the racial aspects of the engagement, claiming they would have received different treatment if they were white," the lawsuit reads. After engaging in a momentary back-and-forth, Knox directed Peet to put Edwards in handcuffs, which Peet did, the lawsuit says.

The suit claims Valentino searched Isham's pockets unlawfully and found real estate business cards. Despite that, both Isham and Edwards continued to be detained and none of the officers indicated why the two were being held beyond needing to confirm that Isham was a real estate agent.

Meanwhile, according to the suit, Branigan, the neighbor who called the police, was allowed by the officers to hover around the scene.

"None of the officers involved...undertook any action to secure the scene at 1093 Morado Drive by having the complainant (and his firearm) immediately removed from the vicinity so as to promote and ensure officer safety," the suit reads.

Eventually, more officers arrived at the scene — at least nine in total, according to the lawsuit.

At that point, the filing alleges, Knox and another officer went to inspect the home's front door, where they found the lock box and no damage to the property.

"Notwithstanding the confirmation of the presence and use of the lock box, Isham and Edwards continued to be handcuffed with their freedom and liberty restrained," the suit reads. "It was not until a complete search of the residence and further consultation with the sergeant from the Cincinnati Police Department on scene (Sergeant Tytus Fillmore) did Officer Knox finally direct that handcuffs be removed from Isham and Edwards."

The suit also alleges that body camera footage of portions of the incident was deleted.

https://www.citybeat.com/news/blog/2107 ... e-for-sale

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:45 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/594091/
He Killed an Unarmed Man, Then Claimed Disability

As for the cop who pulled the trigger, he was “temporarily rehired by the department so he could apply for a monthly pension,” The Arizona Republic reported this month . . .

And the nature of the cop’s disability claim? According to an investigation by the local ABC affiliate, Brailsford said the incident in which he had shot Shaver had given him PTSD. “He’ll get a neutral reference if a future employer calls Mesa,” it reported. “And he’s not willing to talk about how his termination for killing an unarmed man turned into a check for life.”

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 pm

South Carolina deputy shoots homeowner through window, body camera shows
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Footage captured by a South Carolina deputy's body camera shows the moment he shot and injured a homeowner last month, and the events that led up to and after the shooting.

The events in the video differ from the original account of the June 14 shooting that was reported by the Greenville County Sheriff's Office. In the video, the deputy shoots the man through the window of the Simpsonville house. Initially, the agency said the man was shot after he opened the door and pointed his gun at the deputy.

:snippity:

“The Sheriff’s Office’s statement for weeks after the shooting (was) that my client opened his front door and aimed at deputy and you can look at that bodycam – that ends that version,” attorney Beattie Ashmore said Monday morning after the clips of body camera footage was posted to YouTube by the Sheriff’s Office. “It’s difficult to explain how something like this could have happened.”

For about 40 seconds after firing shots through the window, the deputy communicates with the man inside while standing in the front yard. The man can be heard yelling in pain during the exchange.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Moar from the South Carolina shooting:
For about 40 seconds after firing shots through the window, the deputy communicates with the man inside while standing in the front yard. The man can be heard yelling in pain during the exchange.

The deputy then goes inside and finds the man on the ground near the front door.

The man, whose face is pixelated in the video, tells the deputy that he's been shot in the groin and the chest.

After entering the house, the deputy proceeds to give the man first aid as they wait for the ambulance to arrive.

As the deputy gets ready to treat him, the man yells, "I saw lights and I heard the door bell ring, so I got my gun. I'm a concealed weapons guy."

Several seconds later, the man asks, "Why did you do that?" and the deputy responds, "You pointed a gun at me, man." The man replies, "Dude, you came to my house at 12 o'clock at night, I'm sleeping. (Expletive), I've got to protect my house."
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:
The footage showing the August 2016 death of Tony Timpa in Dallas shows an officer pinning him to the ground with his hands cuffed behind him for nearly 14 minutes as the 32-year-old eventually becomes unresponsive. Officers are heard joking that Timpa had fallen asleep, with one yelling "five more minutes, mom!"
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-timpa ... -who-died/

This one's more debateable. Should set up a poll.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

"Yeah, I tried to kick you 'cause I'm a country girl."

My vote is that the officer's actions were justified.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Somerset wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm
Jeffrey wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

"Yeah, I tried to kick you 'cause I'm a country girl."

My vote is that the officer's actions were justified.
I'm with you. She is not a law abiding country girl.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:46 am

Pictures of the “broken taillight”.

https://www.koco.com/article/cashion-po ... t/28580519
Debra Hamil, 65, is facing charges of felony assault on a police officer and a misdemeanor for resisting arrest in Kingfisher County.
That there’s a woman asserting her white privilege.

Edit: I notice he didn’t tell her that signing the ticket isn’t an admission of guilt, it just means she acknowledges receipt of the ticket. I need Sugar Magnolia’s expert opinion.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:46 am

Debra Hamil, 65, is facing charges of felony assault on a police officer and a misdemeanor for resisting arrest in Kingfisher County.

Edit: I notice he didn’t tell her that signing the ticket isn’t an admission of guilt, it just means she acknowledges receipt of the ticket. I need Sugar Magnolia’s expert opinion.
I don't think it would have mattered. She was trying to avoid accountability.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:14 am

She says something like she’s not going to pay an $80 ticket for something that’s easily fixed. That rear end does not look easily fixed.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:18 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:46 am

There's no rule that the cop has to explain that to her and she was already arguing with him so he may have assumed it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I hauled more than one off to jail on a traffic citation when they pulled that kind of shit. As the sovcits prove, if you stand there and try to reason with them, it takes forever, usually results in someone getting hurt and everybody gets pissed off.

I kept waiting for her to say "I pay your salary!"

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:14 am
She says something like she’s not going to pay an $80 ticket for something that’s easily fixed. That rear end does not look easily fixed.
All she had to do was fix the light, and that can be done with the red 'tailight' tape (or the fruit punch Gatorade repair that was in the news last week) they sell at Auto Zone. No law against driving a wrecked truck.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:21 am

My $.02: I don't see police misconduct here.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:26 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:14 am
The cop also too knew she was already driving around for half a year with the damaged tail light.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:18 am
I keep waiting for LEO's to come back with "So do I".

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 am

Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
We did, along with
"In that case, I need a raise."
"The $2.38 you contribute won't keep you out of jail."
"Your signature isn't the one on the bottom of my check."
and a bunch of other smart ass responses to that and "I'll have your job for this." That one never ends well either.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:19 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 am
Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
We did, along with
"In that case, I need a raise."
"The $2.38 you contribute won't keep you out of jail."
"Your signature isn't the one on the bottom of my check."
and a bunch of other smart ass responses to that and "I'll have your job for this." That one never ends well either.
Thanks Sugar :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm

The side of the road is certainly no place to debate / argue with LE. If you want to give a mea culpa and respectfully present some affirmative defense(s)/extenuating circumstance(s) to the officer in hopes they'll let you off with a warning, do it on the first encounter -- not after they go back to their cruiser and spent the time to write the citation. :brickwallsmall: At that point, it's a done deal for the officer.

This woman was old enough to know how the system works. Sign the ticket and you can plead your case in court if you wish.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm

They don't even ask you to sign the tickets here anymore. Maybe they got tired of arguing with people or it may have to do with the fact they are computerized now, so the cops just print you a copy in their car and the court prints their copy later on their own printer.

They just give you the ticket and tell you to pay it or go to court.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:04 pm

neonzx wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm
The side of the road is certainly no place to debate / argue with LE. If you want to give a mea culpa and respectfully present some affirmative defense(s)/extenuating circumstance(s) to the officer in hopes they'll let you off with a warning, do it on the first encounter -- not after they go back to their cruiser and spent the time to write the citation.
Oh, sometimes they take your license to their unit and just check whether you have any outstanding warrants first, before they write anything up. If you know for sure there are no warrants out for you, then when they return from checking is a good time for you to sincerely apologize for whatever you did. Worked out wonderfully for me a few times, lo these many moons ago.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Arlington, Texas, Police Officer Shoots, Kills Woman While Aiming At Loose Dog
An Arlington, Texas, police officer accidentally shot and killed a woman Thursday evening while aiming at a loose dog that was barking and approaching the officer.

The officer and emergency medical personnel had been called to conduct a welfare check on the woman, later identified as 30-year-old Margarita Victoria Brooks, whom the caller reported was passed out in a grassy area.

As the officer approached and called out to Brooks, an unrestrained dog began to run at the officer, barking.

The officer retreated backward from the animal, unholstered his firearm and fired multiple shots at the dog. After the shots were fired, Brooks began to cry out and “it was apparent she was injured,” Arlington Police said in a written release.

Brooks was transported to a local hospital where she was declared dead.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 pm

:( Maybe he should have used mace or the taser. :think:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Maybe he should have done what I did when a dog attacked me while I was at work. That dog got my big boot squarely in its chest. They eventually euthanized that dog, but no humans were killed in the process.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:10 pm

OK.

Sometimes cops do it the right way.
When police were called to wrangle a "vicious" pit bull from a residential neighborhood in Texas, the responding officer said he realized almost instantly that the animal in question was just a big softy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=54878454

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm

I figured at least one person would say the cop was too rough on the fat old lady. Figured wrong.

Lady was a jerk so the tasing probably did her good.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”