Judges Behaving Badly

Notorial Dissent

Re: Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 pm

What a train wreck.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 pm
What a train wreck.
Her supporters display Sovcit levels of disconnectedness, now deluging the jail with calls to ignore the judge and release her.

I would certainly be curious to know, from the actual lawyers, how rare it is/isn't for an attorney that has never appeared in court to be elected or appointed a judge. Or, if the Chief Justice of your State Supreme Court dropped in one day to see how you're acclimating and offer some woman-to-woman support, would you make her and her security detail wait 30 minutes while you did paperwork in chambers, then have your bailiff tell them you decided you were too busy after all. That seems unwise :-D

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 pm

LtDansLegs wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
What a train wreck.
Her supporters display Sovcit levels of disconnectedness, now deluging the jail with calls to ignore the judge and release her.

I would certainly be curious to know, from the actual lawyers, how rare it is/isn't for an attorney that has never appeared in court to be elected or appointed a judge. Or, if the Chief Justice of your State Supreme Court dropped in one day to see how you're acclimating and offer some woman-to-woman support, would you make her and her security detail wait 30 minutes while you did paperwork in chambers, then have your bailiff tell them you decided you were too busy after all. That seems unwise :-D
In Arkansas one of the best circuit court judges we had was appointed when she was a law school professor.

Another professor was appointed to the federal bench.

Both were/are excellent judges who met required case deadlines.

Lawyers know about deadlines, particularly juvenile law judges as those cases are based upon specific statutes with specific deadlines.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 pm
LtDansLegs wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:
What a train wreck.

In Arkansas one of the best circuit court judges we had was appointed when she was a law school professor.

Another professor was appointed to the federal bench.

Both were/are excellent judges who met required case deadlines.

Lawyers know about deadlines, particularly juvenile law judges as those cases are based upon specific statutes with specific deadlines.
Thanks that's interesting to know. Obviously there's a learning curve with any job, but it does seem unfair (I guess for both judge AND defendant) to go from never having tried a case to 'boom, here's your courtroom so go decide peoples futures' so I was curious how common that might be.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 pm

LtDansLegs wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:
What a train wreck.

Justice Courts
Judges of the Mississippi Justice Courts are each elected to four-year terms. The elections for this court are nonpartisan contested elections. To serve on this court, a judge must be a qualified elector, a county or district resident for two years, have a high school diploma or equivalent and complete a training course and competency exam within six months of taking office.[3]
https://ballotpedia.org/Judicial_select ... ississippi

Justice Court
Justice Courts have jurisdiction over small claims civil cases involving amounts of $3,500 or less, misdemeanor criminal cases and any traffic offense that occurs outside a municipality. Justice Court judges may conduct bond hearings and preliminary hearings in felony criminal cases and may issue search warrants.

There are 82 Justice Courts with 197 judges. Justice Court judges are the only Mississippi judges elected in partisan races. They serve four-year terms.
https://courts.ms.gov/trialcourts/justi ... ecourt.php

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:09 pm

LtDansLegs wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:43 pm
Thanks that's interesting to know. Obviously there's a learning curve with any job, but it does seem unfair (I guess for both judge AND defendant) to go from never having tried a case to 'boom, here's your courtroom so go decide peoples futures' so I was curious how common that might be.
It is common enough for lawyers without trial experience to be appointed to appellate courts. It is less common for those without trial experience to be appointed to a trial court, but it happens. (Those tend to be more in the nature of a political favor.)

You can also be elected to a trial court without significant trial experience, e.g., Gary Kreep.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:23 pm

John Shepard Wiley, Jr. was a UCLA law professor when he was appointed to the L.A. Superior Court bench. He distinguished himself as an excellent, patient, painstaking trial judge. He's now on the Court of Appeal and would make an excellent Supreme Court Justice.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I'd say this goes here. SCOTUS gives Trump his Wall money win.

https://www.axios.com/scotus-allows-pen ... QlF-Lhmb9s

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 pm

:yeah:

Good call. :madguy:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... urt-rules/

Judges can't use taxpayer funds to sue clerk in paper-files dispute, state supreme court rules

Superior court judges in Franklin County, Washington, can’t use taxpayer funds to pay a specially appointed prosecutor to pursue a civil suit against the county clerk, the Washington Supreme Court has ruled.

The judges are free to sue the clerk in their dispute over the move to electronic filing, but they must do so at their own expense, the court said in an Aug. 8 opinion. Bloomberg Law and the Tri-City Herald have coverage.

The dispute stems from a move to electronic case management for superior courts throughout the state. Franklin County was an “early adopter,” according to the decision.

Shortly after implementation of the system, the Franklin County judges directed County Clerk Michael Killian to continue making and maintaining paper files. Killian refused. He said he didn’t have the budget to maintain duplicate paper files, which were unnecessary and never used after the transition.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... urt-rules/

Judges can't use taxpayer funds to sue clerk in paper-files dispute, state supreme court rules

Superior court judges in Franklin County, Washington, can’t use taxpayer funds to pay a specially appointed prosecutor to pursue a civil suit against the county clerk, the Washington Supreme Court has ruled.

The judges are free to sue the clerk in their dispute over the move to electronic filing, but they must do so at their own expense, the court said in an Aug. 8 opinion. Bloomberg Law and the Tri-City Herald have coverage.

The dispute stems from a move to electronic case management for superior courts throughout the state. Franklin County was an “early adopter,” according to the decision.

Shortly after implementation of the system, the Franklin County judges directed County Clerk Michael Killian to continue making and maintaining paper files. Killian refused. He said he didn’t have the budget to maintain duplicate paper files, which were unnecessary and never used after the transition.
I'm with the clerk. I have run a paperless office for 10 years. Except for the exhibit books I have to prepare at trial, and the original deposition transcripts I have to lodge before a witness I've examined testifies, everything is on a small Mac Air 13 inch laptop. And anything I want is a lot easier to find in a few seconds on the computer than if it were in one of the dozen boxes of paper records I'd have to bring. As a bonus, I can also project exhibits onto a screen from that very same computer (hooked up to a projector). Soon I'll be able to WiFi images to a 60 inch TV screen from the computer.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Requiring them to pay their own expenses is likely the end of the lawsuit.

Why do these guys think they should be exempted from State level policy?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Those judges didn’t keep up with technology. I retired in 2015 and in Arkansas’ largest cities everything was digital. The judges were the best with it!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Law & Crime
Jewish Death Row Inmate Bids for New Trial Because Judge Allegedly Called Him a ‘Godd*** K*ke’

Human rights advocates are sounding the alarm in Texas as a Jewish death row inmate is set to be executed against the backdrop of recently released evidence suggesting his trial judge was a racist and antisemite.

On Thursday, attorneys filed a Notice of Non-Opposition & Submission of Matter for Decision arguing that soon-to-be-executed Randy Halprin be granted a new trial due to the revelation of several anti-Latino and anti-Jewish comments made by former Dallas Judge Vickers Cunningham. Cunningham, it’s also been alleged, regularly used the n-word. An amicus brief was also filed and signed by over 100 Jewish attorneys from Texas, as well as the American Jewish Committee, and the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism.

On August 22, a motion for stay of execution was filed with the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals–citing recent media reports and signed declarations from the judge’s friends and colleagues attesting to his alleged bigotry. ...

Cunningham has been the subject of racist controversy before. As a Republican running for re-election in 2018, the now-former judge lost his seat after it was revealed that he created a trust fund for his children that rewarded them for marrying white Christians of the opposite sex.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”