NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Turtle

Re: NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Post by Turtle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 pm
I am curious as to how foreign donors get any benefit from subsidizing the NRA.

The NRA is certainly burning the candle at both ends and, more important, seems to have a serious internal feud going on. Considering that both sides have been indoctrinated to resort to firearms, I wouldn't be very surprised if this led to bloodshed.
My theory is the money was intended to be routed to congressional campaigns, and possibly even the Trump campaign. They can't donate to the campaigns directly, due to the large amounts and foreign origin. The big PACs that exist only to support campaigns are under heavier scrutiny than the NRA, so they are used as a middleman. For doing this service, the NRA takes a cut, and this money is what they've been squabbling over.

much ado

Post by much ado » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:42 pm

That's an excellent theory.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:08 pm

“The N.R.A. is prepared for this, and has full confidence in its accounting practices and commitment to good governance.”
That's not what I would think after reading their own internal audit. It looked to me like they're pretty worried about it, to tell the truth.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:08 pm
“The N.R.A. is prepared for this, and has full confidence in its accounting practices and commitment to good governance.”
That's not what I would think after reading their own internal audit. It looked to me like they're pretty worried about it, to tell the truth.
I don’t think a lawyer or PR flack would come out and say that. :shock:

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:20 pm

While I have not followed the NRA closely enough to know who was running the show there, how could anything have gone wrong with an Oliver North running it? Known for such high integrity as he is (or was).

:sarcasm:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:21 am

Unless they were talking to each other.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 am

Indigo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:20 pm
While I have not followed the NRA closely enough to know who was running the show there, how could anything have gone wrong with an Oliver North running it? Known for such high integrity as he is (or was).

North wasn't "running" anything. He was a figurehead. The title of President of the NRA is symbolic, and was previously an unpaid position. Charlton Heston was President for a while because his shouting "from my cold, dead hands" got the crowd going at their convention every year. Wayne LaPierre is Executive Vice President and actually runs the operation.

Frankly, from what I'm reading, I think it looks like North might actually have been trying to point out that LaPierre is grossly mismanaging the NRA's finances (blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on clothes, etc.), went to the board to blow the whistle (or was about to), and lost the ensuing power struggle. The notions that all of the NRA's financial and legal problems are North's fault or that they can be solved by cutting him loose are pure fantasy. LaPierre runs show. The buck stops with him. Maybe North was greedy, but he wouldn't have had the power to do anything as far as expenditures.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Emperor Cheeto wrote:The NRA is under siege by Cuomo and the New York State A.G., who are illegally using the State’s legal apparatus to take down and destroy this very important organization, & others

Am I the only one who is about tired of that fat dumbass calling it illegal when a duly empowered law enforcement agency investigates what is very likely a crime? According to him, the only time a non Democrat should ever be investigated is if they come in and ask to be.

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Gregg wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:31 pm
Emperor Cheeto wrote:The NRA is under siege by Cuomo and the New York State A.G., who are illegally using the State’s legal apparatus to take down and destroy this very important organization, & others

Am I the only one who is about tired of that fat dumbass calling it illegal when a duly empowered law enforcement agency investigates what is very likely a crime? According to him, the only time a non Democrat should ever be investigated is if they come in and ask to be.
NO you are NOT.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:09 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 am
Indigo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:20 pm

North wasn't "running" anything. He was a figurehead. The title of President of the NRA is symbolic, and was previously an unpaid position. Charlton Heston was President for a while because his shouting "from my cold, dead hands" got the crowd going at their convention every year. Wayne LaPierre is Executive Vice President and actually runs the operation.

Frankly, from what I'm reading, I think it looks like North might actually have been trying to point out that LaPierre is grossly mismanaging the NRA's finances (blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on clothes, etc.), went to the board to blow the whistle (or was about to), and lost the ensuing power struggle. The notions that all of the NRA's financial and legal problems are North's fault or that they can be solved by cutting him loose are pure fantasy. LaPierre runs show. The buck stops with him. Maybe North was greedy, but he wouldn't have had the power to do anything as far as expenditures.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Wayne LaPierre wins reelection at NRA amid leadership crisis

Wayne LaPierre reportedly defeated a leadership challenge to win re-election as the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) CEO Monday.

Over the weekend, retired Col. Oliver North announced Saturday he would not be running for re-election to his role as NRA president amid a failed attempt to force LaPierre out of leadership. LaPierre claimed North had tried to extort him into resigning under threat of releasing information about alleged financial improprieties within the organization, as well as allegations that LaPierre charged thousands of dollars in wardrobe purchases to his expense account.
LaPierre, who has been with the group for decades, was re-elected unanimously and unopposed, the NRA announced on its American Rifleman website.

“I am humbled by the Board’s vote of confidence and its support of my vision for the future," LaPierre said. "Together, we will continue to serve our members and advocate for all who believe in the fight to defend our Second Amendment freedom."

Carolyn Meadows has been elected as the gun lobby's next president. <SNIP>
https://thehill.com/regulation/lobbying ... is-inbox-x
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat May 11, 2019 2:50 pm

WSJ, so paywall 😡

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1 ... 2325021696
NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre billed the group's ad agency $39,000 for one day of shopping at a Beverly Hills clothing boutique, $18,300 for a car and driver in Europe, and had the agency cover $13,800 in rent for a summer intern, according to internal docs.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Daily Beast
Leaked Documents: Oliver North Warned NRA Over $24 Million in Legal Bills

Docs show former president Oliver North warning that legal fees “pose an existential threat to the financial stability of the NRA.”

The NRA has racked up huge legal bills over the last year that threaten to debilitate the organization, according to documents posted anonymously online that appear to be written by the group’s ex-president Oliver North. The bills highlight the organization’s extraordinary legal challenges. A person close to the matter confirmed the authenticity of the documents to The Daily Beast. Stephen Gutowski of the Washington Free Beacon was the first reporter to flag the documents on Friday.

Senior NRA officials disputed the documents’ claims but not their authenticity.

The documents include a confidential memo that North and NRA official Richard Childress sent to the NRA’s general counsel and audit committee chairman, dated April 18, 2019—the week before North was dramatically deposed as NRA president. (The NRA suspended its board’s longtime lawyer at the same time.) In the memo, North claimed to be “deeply concerned about the extraordinary legal fees the NRA has incurred” from outside attorney Bill Brewer. North and Childress then called for an independent review of Brewer’s invoices. Brewer has defended his fees in the past, telling the Wall Street Journal, “We’re a premium law firm, we make no bones about that.” ...

“The Brewer invoices are draining NRA cash at mindboggling speed,” North and Childress wrote, adding that the fees “pose an existential threat to the financial stability of the NRA."

“This is a fiscal emergency,” they continued, “yet we have been unable to get management to engage an outside, independent review to ensure these bills are necessary and reasonable.”

tek

Post by tek » Sat May 11, 2019 5:08 pm

It is pretty sad when Oliver North is playing the whistleblower...
There's no way back
from there to here

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 11, 2019 5:48 pm

tek wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:08 pm
It is pretty sad when Oliver North is playing the whistleblower...
That was my first thought. When Oliver North is the voice of integrity . . .

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedlieu/stat ... 7010298880
Dear
@NRA
: I want to thank your CEO Wayne LaPierre for spending $39,000 in Beverly Hills in my district for clothes.

FYI next time there is a
@Macys
at Beverly Center. I have some 20% off coupons for you. Because you are supposed to be a nonprofit, right?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm

The NRA’s Falling Fortunes

The huge sum spent from 2004 to 2017 to give LaPierre the Beau Brummel look is a symptom of a larger problem: The free-spending NRA is hemorrhaging money partly due to excessive spending by insiders on themselves.

A mid-April investigative article on the NRA’s finances by Mike Spies for the New Yorker concluded that “a small group of NRA executives, contractors and venders has extracted hundreds of millions of dollars from the nonprofit’s budget, through gratuitous payments, sweetheart deals and opaque financial arrangements.”

The revelations keep dribbling out. Mark Maremont of the Wall Street Journal recently reported that LaPierre ran up $240,000 in iffy travel expenses charged to the organization’s advertising agency, Ackerman McQueen. North’s unsuccessful challenge to LaPierre and the unexpected look at embarrassing aspects of the NRA’s books all flow from an internecine dispute between the organization and Ackerman McQueen over $40 million in fees.

Picking sides between hard-line zealot LaPierre and the Oklahoma ad agency that helped push the NRA into the vicious conspiratorial politics of the far right is akin to choosing between arsenic and hemlock for a midday treat. But what the battle illustrates is the degree to which the NRA has become a toothless tiger, a jungle animal whose fearsome reputation is all that it still has going for it.
https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/nra’ ... g-fortunes
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue May 14, 2019 2:30 pm

This is a bit interesting:
The Daily Beast: NRA Board Member Allen West Calls for Wayne LaPierre’s Ouster

Former Rep. Allen West (R-FL), an NRA board member and conservative grassroots favorite, called for the ouster of NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre in a blog post on Tuesday morning. He also said NRA President Carolyn Meadows lied to news outlets when she claimed the board had visibility into allegations that LaPierre used NRA money to buy designer clothes. And he said a statement defending LaPierre from Charles Cotton, the head of the NRA’s audit committee, was also a lie. “These statements have maliciously, recklessly and purposefully put me, and uninformed Board members, in legal jeopardy,” he said. “I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA,” West added.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 am

The Gray Lady's report is devastating, the NRA has moved outrageous amounts from the charity to the main entity. Wayne was using Ackerman to hide his purchases. Now, I love Zegna but, "Wayne LaPierre, billed $275,000 for purchases at the Zegna luxury men’s wear boutique in Beverly Hills" through Ackerman. What? Shameless.

And the lawfirm of the Ackerman bro in law was getting -- ready? -- $100,000 a DAY including weekends! These are Orly Taitz-worthy bills!

Brewer NRA.JPG

Apparently a huge cache of docs were posted online:
Many of the latest revelations came in a cache of internal documents posted online and spotted last week by a reporter for the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative website. In addition to his Beverly Hills wardrobe purchases, Mr. LaPierre, who earns more than $1.4 million a year, billed $267,000 in personal expenses, including flights and limousine service for trips to the Bahamas, Florida, Nevada, Budapest and an Italian lake resort, the leaked documents show. He even arranged for Ackerman to pay an intern’s rent.

As for Mr. North, while the N.R.A’s presidency is traditionally unpaid, he was agitating to change that — in spite of a lucrative perk, a contract with Ackerman that, according to Mr. LaPierre, paid him “millions of dollars annually.” And Ackerman has been reaping $40 million a year, even though its signature product, the online streaming service NRATV, has minuscule web traffic.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/n ... ss&emc=rss
Stephen Gutowski ‏Verified account @StephenGutowski May 10
It appears the full letter from Oliver North to the NRA board we saw reporting on at the Annual Meeting has leaked along with some memos from Ack Mac and some already public disclosures like the form about which NRA-connected companies led by board members

Stephen Gutowski Verified account @StephenGutowski
Rob Pincus, one of the NRA members who spoke in favor of a no confidence vote against LaPierre & some members of the board at the Annual Meeting, has posted a link on his Instagram to the torrent that the documents came from. ftp://67.190.79.35/sda1/nra2019documents1-clean/

Also interesting, the Times noted that:
Member dues fell to their lowest level in a half-decade in 2017, after President Trump’s election. A legal battle in New York threatens a gun owners’ insurance program that the N.R.A. had envisioned as a financial lifeline. And the group’s $25 million line of credit, secured by the deed to its headquarters in the Washington suburbs, is nearly tapped out.
Reached for comment, President Obama stated, "Hey Wayne...

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Wed May 15, 2019 4:10 am

Panda's right about Allen West. Wonder how much grift he's been getting off of the Ollie North branch of the NRA? Here's his full dopey statement complete with a Walt Fitzpatrick-like ending...
Statement Regarding the NRA
In Front Page, Second Amendment by Allen WestMay 14, 2019 Leave a Comment

It has become very apparent that I need to speak out about what is happening at the National Rifle Association.

I am in my second term as a Board member, and I am deeply concerned about the actions and statements being made. The recent statements by Charles Cotton and Carolyn Meadows that are appearing in the Wall Street Journal, and now other news outlets, are outright lies. I have never been told, advised, informed or consulted about any of these details mentioned in the WSJ, and who knows how much more despicable spending of members’ money.

These statements have maliciously, recklessly and purposefully put me, and uninformed Board members, in legal jeopardy.

Prior to the NRAAM in Indianapolis I sent an email to Wayne LaPierre’s managing director, Millie Hallow, expressing my sentiment that Wayne LaPierre resign immediately.

I also drafted a memo entitled “Resolution of Concerns,” both of these statements are known to the NRA Board. It is imperative that the NRA cleans its own house. If we had done so in Indianapolis, much of this could have been rectified.

I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. The vote in Indianapolis was by acclamation, not roll call vote. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. My duty and responsibility is to the Members of the National Rifle Association, and my oath, since July 31, 1982, has been to the Constitution of the United States, not to any political party, person, or cabal.

The NRA Board of 76 is too large and needs to be reduced to 30 or less. We need term limits of four (4) terms on the Board. We need to focus the NRA, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization on its original charter, mission, training and education in marksmanship, shooting sports, and the defense of the Second Amendment.

I will dedicate all my efforts to the reformation of the National Rifle Association and its members, of whom I am proud to serve.

It sickens me to publicly make this statement, but I will not allow anyone to damage my honor, integrity, character, and reputation. Needless to say, there are those who have willingly done so to their own.

Steadfast and Loyal,
Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West (US Army, Retired)
Member, 112th US Congress
Patriot Life Benefactor, Board Member, National Rifle Association
https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/stateme ... rding-nra/

Of course his site is "the old school patriot". It sickens me to publicly read his statement, so we're even Allen. :sick:
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 am

If you divide Brewer's $97,000 per day by 24, you come to just over $4000 an hour, 24/7. How many lawyers are at this firm, I wonder?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 am
The Gray Lady's report is devastating, the NRA has moved outrageous amounts from the charity to the main entity. Wayne was using Ackerman to hide his purchases. Now, I love Zegna but, "Wayne LaPierre, billed $275,000 for purchases at the Zegna luxury men’s wear boutique in Beverly Hills" through Ackerman. What? Shameless.

And the lawfirm of the Ackerman bro in law was getting -- ready? -- $100,000 a DAY including weekends! These are Orly Taitz-worthy bills!

Brewer NRA.JPG

Apparently a huge cache of docs were posted online:
Many of the latest revelations came in a cache of internal documents posted online and spotted last week by a reporter for the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative website. In addition to his Beverly Hills wardrobe purchases, Mr. LaPierre, who earns more than $1.4 million a year, billed $267,000 in personal expenses, including flights and limousine service for trips to the Bahamas, Florida, Nevada, Budapest and an Italian lake resort, the leaked documents show. He even arranged for Ackerman to pay an intern’s rent.

As for Mr. North, while the N.R.A’s presidency is traditionally unpaid, he was agitating to change that — in spite of a lucrative perk, a contract with Ackerman that, according to Mr. LaPierre, paid him “millions of dollars annually.” And Ackerman has been reaping $40 million a year, even though its signature product, the online streaming service NRATV, has minuscule web traffic.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/n ... ss&emc=rss
Stephen Gutowski ‏Verified account @StephenGutowski May 10
It appears the full letter from Oliver North to the NRA board we saw reporting on at the Annual Meeting has leaked along with some memos from Ack Mac and some already public disclosures like the form about which NRA-connected companies led by board members https:// m.facebook.com/2499296356751281/posts/2640820462598869?s=100028586888859&v=i&sfns=mo …

Stephen Gutowski Verified account @StephenGutowski
Rob Pincus, one of the NRA members who spoke in favor of a no confidence vote against LaPierre & some members of the board at the Annual Meeting, has posted a link on his Instagram to the torrent that the documents came from. ftp://67.190.79.35/sda1/nra2019documents1-clean/
https:// twitter.com/StephenGutowski/status/1127050028638441472

Also interesting, the Times noted that:
Member dues fell to their lowest level in a half-decade in 2017, after President Trump’s election. A legal battle in New York threatens a gun owners’ insurance program that the N.R.A. had envisioned as a financial lifeline. And the group’s $25 million line of credit, secured by the deed to its headquarters in the Washington suburbs, is nearly tapped out.
Reached for comment, President Obama stated, "Hey Wayne...

:lol:
Inquisitive minds want to know: Does the Ackerman company also pay off many other undisclosed recipients on behalf of the NRA ?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:04 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 5afb479640
The National Rifle Association spent growing sums on overhead in 2018 even as it cut money for core activities such as gun training and political efforts, ending the year deeper in debt, new financial documents show.

The gun rights group’s 2018 financial report, which was obtained by The Washington Post, portrays the longtime political powerhouse as spending faster than its revenue rose.

The records show that the NRA froze its pension plan for employees at the end of last year, a move that saved it close to $13 million,
and obtained a $28 million line of credit by borrowing against its Virginia headquarters.

Despite that, the nonprofit group, four affiliated charities and its political committee together ended the year $10.8 million in the red. In 2017, the six groups ended the year with a $1.1 million shortfall.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:14 am

Having a loan against their headquarters? They will be moving out to a mobile home park in the near future, take my word :!:

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 am

As has been said by others before (including the NRA talking heads). "Thoughts and prayers."
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”