NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Notorial Dissent

Re: NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:12 am

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 am
Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:51 am
The circular fire squad continues.

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status ... 9911398401
Betsy Woodruff
‏Verified account @woodruffbets

New statement form Ackerman McQueen (the ad firm that ran NRATV) says the NRA appears to be trying to hurt "as many people as they can"
nra.png

I'm, like, totally cool with that.

Anyone else have a problem with that?

No?
They certainly seem to be trying to stiff as many people as possible, I suspect their employees and pensioners will be next.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:23 am

Thoughts and prayers.
:violin:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Ruh, roh Shaggy.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Owwich, that's gonna hurt, maybe even leave a mark too, also.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:41 pm

If they have to spend their laundered Russian money on lawyers, they can't spend it on their candidates.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Is Wayne Lapierre going to have to buy his own clothes soon? That will be a real comeuppance. I'd prefer he and his cronies get jailed for charity fraud and tax evasion. Then he can have his clothes provided for free again.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Since it is DC, maybe they can get GIL to represent them, since he can still practice there, for the time being.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Another top NRA staffer departs amid upheaval
By ALEX ISENSTADT 07/17/2019 03:06 PM EDT

The turmoil at the National Rifle Association continues to build, with Jennifer Baker, the organization’s longtime director of public affairs, stepping down from her post.

Baker’s departure, which was confirmed by several people familiar with the matter, could further complicate the group’s ability to play in the 2020 election. She had been playing a key role in mapping out the NRA’s electoral strategy.

The move comes one month after Chris Cox, the NRA’s chief political architect, resigned. Cox had deep relationships with Republican political class, and with his exit many of the party’s top strategists have expressed concern that the organization will be severely hamstrung heading into the presidential election. The NRA plays a major role in turning out gun owners, and many in the party are worried that the group will be less effective in 2020.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... ts-1418836

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Thoughts and prayers

https://www.alternet.org/2019/08/three- ... f-control/
Three more NRA board members head for the hills as the group’s scandals spiral out of control

The trials and tribulations of the National Rifle Association, best known for promoting guns over children’s safety, continue unabated. Internal strife highlighted by lawsuits and allegations of frivolous spending, money mismanagement, and general shady practices has led to a consolidation of the ranks behind top dog Wayne LaPierre. About two weeks ago four NRA board members requested that an independent investigation be held around the allegations of the company’s financial improprieties. Today, three of those members signed a letter resigning from the board due to being “rebuffed at every turn” in their pursuit of oversight.

The three write that they had, at the very least, hoped the organization would listen to their calls for an investigation to either exonerate NRA leadership of the charges against them or suss out the problems in management. “Instead, we have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.”

This letter comes less than a week after the NRA’s chief lobbyist Chris Cox stepped down from his top executive position at the organization amidst allegations of impropriety, and reports that LaPierre had been effective in getting Cox suspended from his duties.

Thoughts and prayers.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:36 am

We really need a rats leaving the sinking ship smiley.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am

Karma is real! :thumbs:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am
Not until it nails LaPierre, then I'll celebrate. Until then, they'll still try screwing over america.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 am
Not until it nails LaPierre, then I'll celebrate. Until then, they'll still try screwing over america.
:like:

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Jim wrote:
:like:
:yeah:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Jim wrote:
Nailing LaPierre would be a nice side benefit, but now might be a good time to try getting some liability insurance laws on the books.

I was thinking about the Gilroy shooting (remember that? It's been less than a week) and how different Big Mike's message would be if his business were held liable for the damage his merchandise did.

The NRA is financially weak right now. Ideally it will be bankrupt before the next election, but in the meantime I don't think it has the resources to pay lawyers and lobbyists to fight any legislation efforts. If liability insurance becomes a legal necessity to owning and, especially, selling firearms, I think it might be a quicker and faster way to curtail mass shootings than any attack on the 2nd Amendment.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Speaking of the NRA in bankruptcy court, it seems like the only thing they really have of value is their membership lists and information.

Is it a pipe dream to think that Michael Bloomberg or someone like him would buy it from the bankruptcy trustee?

That would make some ammosexual heads explode.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:02 pm
Speaking of the NRA in bankruptcy court, it seems like the only thing they really have of value is their membership lists and information.

Is it a pipe dream to think that Michael Bloomberg or someone like him would buy it from the bankruptcy trustee?

That would make some ammosexual heads explode.
I would be pleased if they split off the NRA Foundation into a stand-alone group to continue the educational activities they currently to do for youth groups and others. The main service club, 501(c)4, portion has become irrevocably broken from it's original purpose and should be allowed to die.

I would not be suprised if LaPierre was finding ways to siphon funds from the Foundation to plug holes in the membership organization. I might be curious enough to look up their finances and see how much of cost allocations and other services charges they are pushing on the Foundation.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 am

the WaPo article mentioned in the tweet
NRA discussed purchasing luxury mansion for its chief executive to use, documents show

By Carol D. Leonnig and
Beth Reinhard August 6 at 10:59 PM

Documents indicate that the National Rifle Association planned to purchase a luxury mansion in the Dallas area last year for the use of chief executive Wayne LaPierre, according to two people familiar with the records.

The discussions about the roughly $6 million purchase, which was not completed, are now under scrutiny by New York investigators. The transaction was slated to be made through a corporate entity that received a wire of tens of thousands of dollars from the NRA in 2018, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The New York attorney general’s office is now examining the plan for an NRA-financed mansion as part of its ongoing investigation into the gun lobby’s tax-exempt status, in which it has subpoenaed the group’s financial records, the people said.

A spokesperson for New York Attorney General Letitia James declined to comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 am

The more of these things that come out the more and more I am amazed at how well they managed to turn the NRA into a “standard/typical” right-wing grifting organization. Nearly everybody was in on it, funneling a large percentage of the money right into their own coffers.

And the major reason it seems to be falling apart is because of various factions complaining they weren’t getting what they considered to be a large enough share of the grift, not because anyone was against the grifting.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 am

slightly off-top but...
Documents indicate that the National Rifle Association planned to purchase a luxury mansion in the Dallas area last year for the use of chief executive Wayne LaPierre, according to two people familiar with the records.
last night we watched an episode of Wings which, ( :sick: ) had a cameo appearance by Oliver North doing his "I don't recall" schtick. Hubs didn't know who he was so I explained the whole Iran Contra thing, then the NRA president thing, and how he got fired for trying to expose LaPierre. I really hate having to credit North with, for once, doing the right thing. :sick:
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 am
slightly off-top but...
last night we watched an episode of Wings which, ( :sick: ) had a cameo appearance by Oliver North doing his "I don't recall" schtick. Hubs didn't know who he was so I explained the whole Iran Contra thing, then the NRA president thing, and how he got fired for trying to expose LaPierre. I really hate having to credit North with, for once, doing the right thing. :sick:
But was he really doing the “right thing”? He did expose LaPierre, but the fight was as much about how much money was being funneled to one of North’s pet companies that LaPierre was trying to instead funnel to one of his own pet companies.

Had they come to an agreement about how much of the money each would have been able to funnel away, North never would have exposed the con.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 am

Good point.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Tarrant wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 am
The more of these things that come out the more and more I am amazed at how well they managed to turn the NRA into a “standard/typical” right-wing grifting organization. Nearly everybody was in on it, funneling a large percentage of the money right into their own coffers.

And the major reason it seems to be falling apart is because of various factions complaining they weren’t getting what they considered to be a large enough share of the grift, not because anyone was against the grifting.
I do wonder if their exposed Russia activities caused authorities to start sniffing around, resulting in a general freak out and try to push the problem to each other. As they are spinning and trying to find a fall guy, their well controlled hiding of the real finances ended up blowing up around them.

Given the way things seem to go nowadays, how long until harassment claims start appearing? I have a hunch their may well be more ugliness in the leadership then we have heard so far.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”