DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Addie

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 pm

The Hill
Charities say they never received donations touted by Jeffrey Epstein: report

Numerous charities and hospitals financier Jeffrey Epstein, who was arrested on sex trafficking charges over the weekend, claimed to have showered with donations never received the funds, according to an NBC News investigation.

Press releases from Epstein’s Jeffrey Epstein VI Foundation claimed he made donations to over 100 organizations after his 2008 plea deal, while Epstein has said he donated $30 million to Harvard University before the deal.

Federal tax filings, meanwhile, say Epstein’s foundation, Gratitude America Ltd., gave $1.84 million to charities between 2015 and 2017.

However, the Chronicle of Philanthropy, which maintains a database from 2006 of all major gifts over a million dollars, has no record of any gifts from Epstein, staff writer Maria DiMento told NBC News.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I am so surprised :sarcasm:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 pm
The Hill
Charities say they never received donations touted by Jeffrey Epstein: report

Numerous charities and hospitals financier Jeffrey Epstein, who was arrested on sex trafficking charges over the weekend, claimed to have showered with donations never received the funds, according to an NBC News investigation.

Press releases from Epstein’s Jeffrey Epstein VI Foundation claimed he made donations to over 100 organizations after his 2008 plea deal, while Epstein has said he donated $30 million to Harvard University before the deal.

Federal tax filings, meanwhile, say Epstein’s foundation, Gratitude America Ltd., gave $1.84 million to charities between 2015 and 2017.

However, the Chronicle of Philanthropy, which maintains a database from 2006 of all major gifts over a million dollars, has no record of any gifts from Epstein, staff writer Maria DiMento told NBC News.
The first sentence of this article has me twitching for a red pencil. :madguy: The article also uses "Epstein" and "Gratitude America Ltd." interchangeably and does not make clear whether :rotflmao: neither donated to these entities in the relevant time periods. I don't read The Hill. Is the writing always so bad?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm
I don't read The Hill. Is the writing always so bad?
Yes. When not spreading gossip, it usually just rewrites better written articles (for the clicks).
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm

I read it to keep up with what the congress crittters are doing. That's what it's good for.
bob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm
I don't read The Hill. Is the writing always so bad?
Yes. When not spreading gossip, it usually just rewrites better written articles (for the clicks).

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Miami Herald
More than a dozen new accusers have come forward following Epstein's arrest Saturday

At least a dozen new victims have come forward to claim they were sexually abused by Jeffrey Epstein even as the multimillionaire money manager tries to convince a federal judge to allow him to await a sex trafficking trial from the comfort of the same $77 million Manhattan mansion where he’s accused of luring teenage girls into unwanted sex acts.

Following Epstein’s arrest Saturday in New Jersey, four women have reached out to New York lawyer David Boies, and at least 10 other women have approached other lawyers who have represented dozens of Epstein’s alleged victims in the past.

Jack Scarola, a Palm Beach attorney, said at least five women, all of whom were minors at the time of their encounters with Epstein, have reached out to either him or Fort Lauderdale lawyer Brad Edwards.

“The people we are speaking to are underage victims in Florida and in New York. They are not individuals whose claims have previously been part of any law enforcement investigation,’’ Scarola said.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 pm

A question - was Alex Acosta made Labor Sec as a reward for giving a Trump buddy (namely Epstein) a sweetheart deal years ago?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 pm

All Trump's cabinet members are being rewarded for something or another. I can't think of any one of them who is competently doing their job.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 pm
All Trump's cabinet members are being rewarded for something or another. I can't think of any one of them who is competently doing their job.
I can't think of one who hasn't proven to be corrupt, except perhaps McConnell's wife (but then I have ethics issues with that anyway) and Carson, who sleeps and smirks his way through serious questions.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm
I can't think of one who hasn't proven to be corrupt, except perhaps McConnell's wife
Salon: Ethics expert on Mitch McConnell and Elaine Chao: "We are now a full-fledged banana republic" (Chao fasttracked transportation projects in Kentucky).
and Carson
Carson's illegal table (he pulled a Pruitt).
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
I can't think of one who hasn't proven to be corrupt, except perhaps McConnell's wife
Salon: Ethics expert on Mitch McConnell and Elaine Chao: "We are now a full-fledged banana republic" (Chao fasttracked transportation projects in Kentucky).
and Carson
Well, I did say perhaps but am gratified to be wrong. :crying:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Trump doesn't mind if Acosta twists in the wind. This Epstein character makes it look like Trump only committed venial sins.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm
Trump doesn't mind if Acosta twists in the wind. This Epstein character makes it look like Trump only committed venial sins.
:like:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:11 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 pm
bob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
and Carson
Well, I did say perhaps but am gratified to be wrong. :crying:
Perry? I mean, he's dumber than a box of rocks but have we seen any corrupt crap?
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Rick Perry’s been pretty quiet, I think?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:24 am

Rick Who?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 am

Edit, full image doesn't display. Click on link to see the full image.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am

An interesting thread from a Wall Street math whiz:

Quantian
‏ @quantian1

So, apologies in advance, but I want to do a quick little THREAD to explain my theory of what the Epstein story really is. I promise this isn't some crazy Pizzagate conspiracy about space lizards, just a neat little explanation that IMO perfectly fits the known facts (0/13):
11:51 AM - 8 Jul 2019
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:45 am

New York Mag: Real Hedge-Fund Managers Have Some Thoughts on What Epstein Was Actually Doing

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Rick Perry’s been pretty quiet, I think?
They gave him "the tour" early on, and ever since then, he's let the people who know what they are doing run the national labs.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am

I need something explained to me like I was a five year old.

I understand Epstein faced a previous prosecution and a civil suit for engaging in sexual conduct with minors. He is currently indicted for engaging in sexual conduct with minors.

I've read the current indictment, and the patter seems to be that h had a couple of people, and several of the minors, who would recruit and schedule minors for what were purported to be massage sessions, but during which he would make progressive physical advances to the point of unlawful sexual conduct.

Now, from both left and right, there is this positive giddiness that the Epstein thing is going to blow the lid off of some long-simmering, wide-reaching pedophile conspiracy, of the likes of the "Satanic Panic" and its instances like the McMartin Pre-School, the Franklin Scandal, Pizzagate, and so on.

There's no suggestion in this indictment that Epstein was doing anything other than arranging these liaisons for anyone other than himself. And, no, I'm not interested in theories about why borrowing two US attorneys from the Public Corruption Unit means this or that...

What I'm interested to know is what is the factual basis for the utter certainty with which various camps think there is yet another wide-ranging pedophile conspiracy. Going back through history, the "someone is stealing the children" trope - be it gypsies, Jews, or the bad guys in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - is as persistent as it is persistent. In fact, people who never gave up on the Satanic Panic, seem to have a way of tying these things together in a continuing thread up to and including Pizzagate, since each round of this trope gives them the hope of that final moment when they can say "Aha! I was right all along".

So what, really, is the factual basis for the (mutually contradictory) predictions that one or another house of cards is going to be brought down here?

(and, no, I don't want to hear about the "Katie Johnson" bullshit; general "icky things" Trump has said or done; or various forms of guilt by association)
Thanks pal.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

All I can offer is authorities found DVDs in Epstein's safe. Some were labeled "nudes" and some were labeled ________ and ________. It's possible some of those blanks refers to other adults.

Also (and I need to research to refresh my memory) but in the original plea agreement, didn't it stipulate that other people were involved but they were not to be indicted or named?

But as for the House of Cards analogy, I have zero faith in our DOJ right now. Epstein will hopefully go away for the rest of his life, but others (certainly anyone with an R behind their name) will probably slip through.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:43 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am
It's possible
Thanks pal.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 am

Dersh writes open letter to Pulitzer Prize Committee: Don't award anything to Julie Brown.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1400 ... -fake-news
Among the leading candidates for a Pulitzer Prize in investigative journalism is the Miami Herald and its reporter Julie K. Brown for its series on the Jeffrey Epstein case. The series, however, was not based on rigorous and objective investigation, but rather on one sided, and largely false tips from self-interested lawyers who used the series to their financial advantage. Brown refused to investigate and/or publish highly credible information that undercut the simplistic and largely false narrative fed her by her biased sources. I know, because I have been providing her with much of the documents and information she chose to bury rather than report. Had she reported this contradictory material, she would have endangered the Pulitzer Prize she has been aiming to win. The Pulitzer Committee should not reward such biased and result oriented "reporting" by giving her the prize.

There is one set of allegations that I know for certain was completely made up. She [Giuffre] accused me of having sex with her on six occasions in different places, although I have never even met her. I was fortunate enough to have travel, cell phone and AmEx records that conclusively prove that I could not have been on Epstein's Caribbean Island, New Mexico ranch, Palm Beach mansion or private airplane during the relevant time period. A careful review of these records led Giuffre's own lawyer to conclude — in a lawfully recorded conversation— that it would have been impossible for me to have been where she falsely claimed to have had sex with me, and that his client's accusations against me were "wrong," "simply wrong." A thorough review of these records and other evidence also led the former head of the FBI to conclude that the allegations against me were disproved and false. Even Giuffre's best friend said that Giuffre told her she had never accused me until she was "pressured" by her lawyers to do so. There are also sealed emails and a book manuscript written by Guiffre that conclusively prove I was falsely framed. Hopefully they will soon be unsealed.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 am

ACOSTA RESIGNS.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”