DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

neonzx

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Post by neonzx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm
New York Times
Jeffrey Epstein Was a ‘Terrific Guy,’ Donald Trump Once Said. Now He’s ‘Not a Fan.’
That's not the first time he's done that. Tossing under his bus. In fact, I think the "Not a Fan." line has been recycled.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:26 pm

:lol: :thumbs:
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 pm

:lol:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 pm

:thumbs:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:12 am

CNN: Manhattan DA's office asked judge to lower Jeffrey Epstein's sex offender status in 2011 ...

The DA's office says that argument was a mistake based on a legal misunderstanding, and that the office later agreed with the judge's determination. Still, the issue fits a broader critique of how authorities have handled cases involving rich and well-connected figures like Epstein.
CNN: How Trump's labor secretary is integral to understanding the Jeffrey Epstein sex abuse scandal

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ne ... s-n1028011
New Jeffrey Epstein accuser: He raped me when I was 15
Jennifer Araoz says she was recruited outside her New York City high school to provide sexual massages to the wealthy financier.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-so-be-it

Politics
I hope Jeffrey Epstein sings like a bird. And if some Democrats go down, so be it

Jill Filipovic

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 am
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-so-be-it

Politics
I hope Jeffrey Epstein sings like a bird. And if some Democrats go down, so be it

Jill Filipovic
:clap:
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:31 am

:yeah:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 am

Daily Beast: Acosta, Who Cut Deal With Epstein, Tried to Slash Anti-Trafficking Program by 80 Percent

His proposal came under fire at the time from a congresswoman who noted his sweetheart deal with accused trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 am
Daily Beast: Acosta, Who Cut Deal With Epstein, Tried to Slash Anti-Trafficking Program by 80 Percent

His proposal came under fire at the time from a congresswoman who noted his sweetheart deal with accused trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
He's just doing what he's paid to do. :x

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Do we need a poll on how soon this is swept off the front pages by some new, inexplicable scandal? And how soon after that the whole thing goes away?

Yeah, I know. But they will try.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 am

Epstein lawyer Dershowitz defends plea agreement

Lawyer Alan Dershowitz, who represented billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein in a 2008 plea agreement in which Epstein was given just 13 months in prison, has defended the agreement, saying that the job of a defense attorney is to get the best deal possible.

In a CBS interview that aired Wednesday, Dershowitz said that although he did not know the extent of the allegations against Epstein, he would defend his client the same way all over again.

"I would try to get a better deal. The job of a criminal defense attorney is to try to get the best possible deal," Dershowitz, who has been a contributor to The Hill, said.
Dershowitz said he was "shocked" by the allegations against Epstein and had never seen him with underage girls.

"No. Oh, no. If I had ever seen Jeffrey Epstein in any inappropriate situation with an underage girl, I would've terminated my relationship and turned him in. No way," Dershowitz said. "We were shocked by the allegations, but as a criminal lawyer, being shocked by an allegation doesn't mean that I won't defend somebody," he said.

Dershowitz also said in the interview that the 2008 deal was good for the prosecution, which he claimed lacked evidence against Epstein, although one detective told The Miami Herald that the evidence against the billionaire was overwhelming.

"They made a deal, and for them it was not a bad deal," Dershowitz said. "They got him to be a registered sex offender to pay vast amounts of money to all the women, and to get him to plead and go to jail, and expose him for the world to see as a sex offender. I think the feds thought it was the best they could do."
<snip>
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... -agreement
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 am

No. Oh, no. If I had ever seen Jeffrey Epstein in any inappropriate situation with an underage girl, I would've terminated my relationship and turned him in.
Baloney.
There's no way back
from there to here

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am

Dershowitz is a lying sack of :shit:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 am

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am
Dershowitz is a lying sack of :shit:
Yes.

I think it's time to come back on a CNN panel with one or more of his former students. Like Jeffrey Toobin. Ask him some hard questions.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am

07/10/19 11:29 AM EDT
Acosta to hold news news conference to defend himself from Epstein criticism

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta will hold a news conference on Wednesday to address questions about his handling of a nonprosecution agreement he previously struck with multimillionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein, who is facing new federal sex-crimes charges involving minors.

The embattled Cabinet secretary plans to defend his handling of the Epstein case and will not offer his resignation, according to multiple media reports. The Labor Department said the news conference will take place at 2:30 p.m.
Acosta on Tuesday defended the Epstein agreement on Twitter but acknowledged the new charges against the financier could “more fully bring him to justice.”

President Trump also defended Acosta from the blowback, saying on Tuesday he feels “very badly” for the Labor secretary “because I’ve known him as being somebody who works so hard and has done such a good job.”

But the president also said that he would be looking at the case “very carefully.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... om-epstein

07/10/19 07:15 AM EDT
A longtime confidant of President Trump said late Tuesday that Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta’s role in helping to secure a plea deal for financier Jeffrey Epstein more than a decade ago was “indefensible” and that he is “not going to stay for long” as a Cabinet member.

“My experience with Donald Trump is if he sees somebody is a bad apple ... he will stay as far away from that person is possible,” Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy told CNN’s Don Lemon. “I think the plea agreement he did is indefensible."

When asked if that meant Acosta could be gone within weeks, Ruddy responded: “I think in a relatively quick period, he will be gone.”

Ruddy added that GOP senators were aware of the plea deal when they voted unanimously to confirm Acosta in April 2017, but now say privately that the situation has changed since federal prosecutors unsealed new charges against Epstein on Monday.
Acosta’s job security took a hit after Trump offered a muted defense of the Labor secretary and as GOP senators criticized his involvement in the plea deal.

Trump told reporters at the White House that Acosta has been a “very good” Labor secretary and that he “felt very badly” for Acosta, adding that he would be looking at the case “very carefully.”

Republican senators privately predict Acosta will eventually have to resign, while others say he is a political liability for Trump because of ties to Epstein, whom Trump socialized with years ago in Palm Beach, Fla.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... e-in-weeks

I have dumped some of this Acosta business in this thread cuz I don't know where else.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm

tek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 am
No. Oh, no. If I had ever seen Jeffrey Epstein in any inappropriate situation with an underage girl, I would've terminated my relationship and turned him in.
Baloney.
Yeah.
In a CBS interview that aired Wednesday, Dershowitz said that although he did not know the extent of the allegations against Epstein, he would defend his client the same way all over again.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Somerset wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm
tek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 am
Baloney.
Yeah.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... rs-1403317
Wha??? That don't make no sense. Is he admitting incompetence?
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 pm

NEW: Epstein's new accuser who gave the NBC interview filed a petition seeking the identity of the recruiter who groomed her for Epstein.

(Complaint will be filed after N.Y. Child Victim's Act takes effect until Aug. 14, per court papers.) cc:
@CourthouseNews

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:51 pm

So, the QAnon folks must be livid over Trump not firing Acosta after Acosta has been publicly outed for protecting a pedophile. No?

Q's must be totally confused right now. :confused:

They don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their butt. *

*Truvy, Steel Magnolias
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Watch live: Acosta answers questions about Epstein plea deal

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta is set to hold a news conference on Wednesday afternoon to answer questions about his handling of a 2008 plea agreement with multimillionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein, who is facing new federal sex-crimes charges involving minors.

Acosta's deal with Epstein has come under renewed scrutiny after federal prosecutors in New York City charged Epstein on Monday with sex trafficking.

Critics have said the agreement was too lenient and top Democrats in Congress, as well as 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, have called on Acosta to step down.

Acosta is scheduled to address reporters at 2:30 p.m.

Watch the live video above.
https://thehill.com/video/administratio ... ference-on

I haven't watched it. So I suppose this is a placeholder for when it goes live.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:00 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:51 pm
So, the QAnon folks must be livid over Trump not firing Acosta after Acosta has been publicly outed for protecting a pedophile. No?
No. Conspiracy theorists are fantasists who are expert at denying reality. Anything reality-based is never acknowledged as such, instead it is denied or twisted to fit within their fantasy.
I've heard this bull before.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Off Topic
RVInit wrote:
I don't know where it came from... but have seen Facebook posts from Q-supporters that are butt-hurt cuz Mueller is the one that got the deal for Epstein. Also Google is scrubbing all the images of Bill Clinton and Epstein.

derp derp derp

ETA a post from a local San Diego woman - not a Q supporter that I am aware of.
Deborah Blake
Yesterday at 7:42 AM ·
While I agree Acosta should be removed, where was Schumer's outrage toward Acosta in 2008? He was there. Hmmm, could he just be siezing an opportunity to plant question about Trump during his little press conference. He of course failed to mention Trump banned Epstein from his properties after an allegation of Epstein abusing a young girl. Trump did not wait for a court case to ban Epstein, he did it immediately and without reserve. Another grab by Schumer for the camera and meat for MSM to regurgitate. Transparent move Chucky!
► Show Spoiler

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Dolly wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm
Off Topic
RVInit wrote:
I don't know where it came from... but have seen Facebook posts from Q-supporters that are butt-hurt cuz Mueller is the one that got the deal for Epstein. Also Google is scrubbing all the images of Bill Clinton and Epstein.

derp derp derp
Yeah, I did see where they are crediting Mueller for making the deal, completely ignoring the fact that the FBI is under the DOJ and the FBI investigate while prosecutors prosecute or make deals. I was being sarcastic with my posting, should have put the /s. Yeah, they are truly delusional and like Dejamoo said, they will twist themselves in knots to create a story that shows Trump and his allies as the good guys and anyone that has criticized Trump as the bad guys.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”