USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Jim

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Stone is clever. He'll figure out some way to violate the order and will find himself back before the judge. He desperately wants to be jailed.
Martyrdom?
Elitism

gshevlin

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by gshevlin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Hubris is a powerful drug.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I don't care. Just lock him up. He can do his 'martyr' schtick all he wants. Who would really care? Is there any chance the OSG would actually pardon him if he got locked up? I don't think there is much chance. He could watch as thousands fail to rally to his support.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Stone wants to wear his victimhood on his back. Right next to the face of Tricky Dick. When he's finally jailed or imprisoned he'll cry he's a victim of the deep state. He probably thinks that his incarceration will instigate some kind of rebellion, like Manson's Helter Skelter. Stone is essentially a mentally ill anarchist with an elevated opinion of himself and only himself.

(He also fancies himself a dapper dresser. But his 180 degree angle collars on his shirts look ridiculous. And where are his spats?)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Stone is clever. He'll figure out some way to violate the order and will find himself back before the judge. He desperately wants to be jailed.
Martyrdom?
No. Having his wife tweet.

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm
With built-in deniable plausibility, i.e., "I made some notes (each a 140-characters long) and left them on the kitchen table. How was I to know my wife* was going to publish them on Twitter?"

* Or friend, or covfefe boy, or ....
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:46 am

"Your Honor, I don't know how it happened. But the Nixon on my back took hold of my body and I was powerless to stop it until it was done. It wasn't me. Honest."

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm
With built-in deniable plausibility, i.e., "I made some notes (each a 140-characters long) and left them on the kitchen table. How was I to know my wife* was going to publish them on Twitter?"

* Or friend, or covfefe boy, or ....
The Judge just anticipated that Stone would try to sneak around the order.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Furthermore, the defendant may not comment publicly about the case indirectly by having statements made publicly on his behalf by surrogates, family members, spokespersons, representatives, or volunteers. Furthermore, the defendant may not comment publicly about the case indirectly by having statements made publicly on his behalf by surrogates, family members, spokespersons, representatives, or volunteers.
The judge forgot to forbid Straw Men or Straw Women from talking. Rog is in the clear. :rotflmao:

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

That last part may be tough to enforce. Someone sympathetic to Stone (heck, there are people who believe the Earth is flat) might post something without any sort of communication with anyone in the Stone household or immediate circle. Stone could get shafted by the well-intentioned acts of sympathetic strangers.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm
Stone could get shafted by the well-intentioned acts of sympathetic strangers.
that would be terrible :sarcasm:
There's no way back
from there to here

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 pm

His mini me, Jacob Engels of Orlando, is banned on Twitter but finds his way to his old friend Jim Hoft and Gateway Pundit... it'll be out there. Let's see if he stops Parler where they don't think people are looking.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Judge rejects Stone's request to dismiss charges
A federal judge in Washington, D.C., on Thursday denied longtime GOP operative Roger Stone’s request to dismiss the charges against him, finding that Stone “has not identified any legal ground” to do so.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson refused to dismiss charges of lying to Congress, interfering with a congressional investigation and witness tampering. She also rejected an attempt by Stone to investigate “selective prosecution” by former special counsel Robert Mueller’s team.

Jackson noted in her ruling that Stone’s own legal team had conceded that their arguments did not hold up against past precedent that the judge is bound to follow in overseeing the case.

“Based on the allegations in the indictment which are assumed to be true for the purposes of these motions, it is fair to say that Stone has no one but himself to blame for the fact that he was investigated by the Department of Justice,” Jackson wrote.
I've heard this bull before.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Politico: Judge: No evidence Roger Stone was indicted for political reasons:
Stone’s team did score one small victory in the new court decision. While Jackson denied the defense the right to obtain documents or take testimony exploring the prosecutors’ motivations, she did rule that Stone’s lawyers should be permitted to see some portions of Mueller’s final report that have not been made public.
And:
Jackson, an appointee of President Barack Obama, also rejected arguments that Mueller’s bias was displayed by his decision not to indict two specific Stone associates: conservative writer Jerome Corsi and liberal radio host Randy Credico. She said their cases were not analogous to Stone’s. She also said it was hard to see political bias in Mueller’s decision not to charge Corsi, given that his Twitter account, Facebook page and website all indicated he is an ardent Trump supporter.
Bonus:
Stone’s lawyers also put forward some long-shot arguments against Muller, like a claim that the Justice Department can’t even investigate the president.

That prompted a pithy retort from the judge: “There are several problems with this attack on the prosecution. First of all, Roger Stone is not the President of the United States. So it is not clear how any prohibition against investigating the chief executive would apply him [sic].”

The judge also said the Supreme Court’s decision upholding a special counsel’s subpoena for President Richard Nixon’s tapes in Watergate indicated that the Justice Department does have power to probe the president.
:lol:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Roger isn't the President? Who knew?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Does his back get immunity?

bob

Post by bob » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 pm

CNN: Roger Stone wants judge to keep 'The Godfather: Part II' in the vault:
Roger Stone says an attempt by prosecutors to show his jury a clip from the film "The Godfather: Part II" -- that could suggest he's a mob boss -- is out of bounds.

Showing the clip to the jury would imply that Stone is Michael Corleone -- the trilogy's protagonist and antihero, his legal team argued in a court filing Friday.

"It makes Roger Stone the Michael Corleone character in this analogy -- an iconic violent godfather of the Mafia," Stone's lawyers wrote.
The four-minute scene shows a mobster, Frank Pentangeli, lying to a Senate committee that was investigating organized crime as Corleone watched.

Stone had referenced the scene and the mobster character as he allegedly threatened a witness in the Russia investigation about what the witness, Randy Credico, might say about Stone to Congress. Stone pleaded not guilty to witness tampering, among other charges.
"Start practicing your Pantagele [sic]," Stone allegedly texted radio show host Credico while discussing Credico's potential testimony to the House Intelligence Committee, according to court filings.

"The introduction of the movie clip is meant to inflame and over-sensationalize Stone's alleged behavior," Stone said. "It is a stunt. It does way more than what the government should be permitted to prove."

Stone also objected to any comparisons to the type of crimes committed in the film.

"The context of the clip is regarding murder -- a violent felony -- which is not remotely similar to any of the crimes Stone was charged with," the filing states. "It is akin to comparing apples and broccoli, except with the crucial fact that a mischaracterization could result in a loss of liberty and freedom."

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm

He shouldn't have brought it up, if he didn't want anyone to make the connection. The problem, of course, is that he wanted someone to make precisely that connection, just not the jury.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”