Michael Avenatti

Sterngard Friegen

Michael Avenatti

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am

He now deserves his own thread. This is my last post about him on the Michael Cohen thread: http://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p989086

I believe Michael Avenatti is doing as much to end the Mueller investigation as Devin Nunes. In Nunes' case it is because of fealty. In Avenatti's case it is because of hubris and his desire for publicity.

Just as the left ended its love affair with Edward Snowden when it became obvious who he was, I hope the resistance and the left end their love affair with Avenatti soon.

RVInit

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by RVInit » Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am

As much as I initially enjoyed Avenatti getting under Cohen's skin in the beginning, I have to admit I have gotten concerned about his possibly undermining legitimate investigations, too. I started getting uneasy when they released the sketch. I haven't really heard much by the way of that sketch really harming anyone, but I thought it had the potential to do some real harm to someone who hadn't actually threatened Ms Clifford. It seems more like even Avenatti/Clifford supporters made jokes about it. But still, it was an irresponsible and potentially harmful thing to do. I think he's run his course, there isn't anything legitimate that he can say about his client and the issue that he's directly involved with that hasn't already been said. At this point he's sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and of course Trump supporters are going to latch on to the idea of Avenatti as a surrogate for Mueller. They will conflate the two until the majority of Americans don't understand that Mueller has never even met Avenatti, much less is Avenatti working on the Mueller team. I wish the media would pull the plug on him at this point.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 am

I think the most valid criticism and concern folks here have raised about Avenatti is that releasing information on Cohen might be damaging the Mueller investigation. I don't care if he is a crappy attorney, has an ego the size of California, or is a bully. If he is in any way hurting the Mueller investigation though he needs to stop.

However, is there any real evidence that he is having any impact good or bad on the Mueller investigation? I think we all agree that Mueller has had the same information on Cohen for months. He knew about Cohen's dealings with AT&T and others. He knew about the Daniels payoff. No doubt he knows more about Cohen than Avenatti and he soon will know a lot mere when the Special Master clears a truck load of information from Cohen's seized devices and records. I think if Avenatti was posing a threat that Mueller would have someone reach out to him in private and tell him to cool it.

In a weird sort of way Avenatti may actually be helping by taking some of the attention away from the Mueller at a critical point in the investigation.

Now if Avenatti was really leaking information obtained from inside the Mueller team or the SDNY office that would be another matter. If someone wanted to leak there are certainly outlets other than Avenatti they could use. The same is true for the information that most think came from SARs filed with the Treasury Department. If someone there was the source this was going to get out. I suspect there are hundreds or even thousands of career government employees who detest Trump and this administration with good reason. I think right now these people know Avenatti has the microphone and they like his tenacity. He seems to be in a unique position that he can ridicule Trump and Trump can't respond directly. If he is keeping Trump and Giulani preoccupied and on the defensive that is a good thing.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 14, 2018 11:47 am

Good points, RV and RC.

As to RC's points, at this time we don't know what we don't know (thanks to another Donald for that). I'd prefer a methodical investigation and charges brought on evidence untarnished by some ego driven grandstander. We don't know where Mueller is in his investigation, but the most Avenatti is doing at this point is buzzing around Trump-Giuliani-Cohen like a fly over a manure pile. At the end of the day I don't think that's helpful if the goal is to bring to justice as many miscreants as possible.

So, while some may think causing trouble or distraction or smear may be a good thing, since I don't know how this may affect the Mueller investigation, I'm concerned. (It reminds me about what Woody Hayes once said about a football. When you pass it three things can happen and two of them are bad.)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Another consideration is that Mueller cannot indict Trump. At least that seems to be the current policy of the DoJ. So the best we can hope for is that the Democrats take both the House and the Senate in November then Mueller issues a report so damning that the House impeaches Trump and the Senate tries and removes him. Hopefully a President Pence would go down in flames in the 2020 election. If you feel the Stormy Daniels case/Cohen scandal is doing lasting political damage to Trump and the Republicans then that is a good outcome. I am not sure what the long term impact is going to be but some of it appears to be sticking.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm
Another consideration is that Mueller cannot indict Trump. At least that seems to be the current policy of the DoJ. So the best we can hope for is that the Democrats take both the House and the Senate in November then Mueller issues a report so damning that the House impeaches Trump and the Senate tries and removes him. Hopefully a President Pence would go down in flames in the 2020 election. If you feel the Stormy Daniels case/Cohen scandal is doing lasting political damage to Trump and the Republicans then that is a good outcome. I am not sure what the long term impact is going to be but some of it appears to be sticking.
To use the Woody Hayes analogy, that's the pass getting caught (and being run in for a touchdown).

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:24 pm
:snippity:
To use the Woody Hayes analogy, that's the pass getting caught (and being run in for a touchdown).
Have you watched college football lately? I don't think many teams are following Woody's advice, especially the Big 12. :lol:

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon May 14, 2018 12:48 pm

I'll take pass on giving a "thumbs-up" or down at this juncture.

What IS remarkable, and provides paranoid wormfood for my wee cranial critter is the lack of direct attack by Tweet from DJT himself.

For one who likes to "hit harder" when "unfair" attacks happen, the sikence is deafening.

Anyone else have that observation?
Ascribe meaning to it?
Dan
The Mercury Project

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Wonkette's view:
wtf?
What Do Michael Avenatti, Ice Cube, And Qatar Have In Common? They Are All In THIS DUMB STORY!

We don’t even know, so we’ll start with the story that came out in the Daily Mail last week, about how Ice Cube and his business partner Jeff Kwatinetz are suing a Qatari investor and royal family member, Ahmed al Rumaihi, for allegedly using his investment in Ice Cube’s basketball league, which is called BIG3, to bribe them for access to Steve Bannon, who is friends with Kwatinetz.

Well long story, and it’s hard to suss it out directly, but Daily Mail quotes the Ice Cube lawsuit about Steve Bannon (which for real exists) saying that Qatar wanted to “get positive public relations” for its country, in return for its investment.

BUT WHY THOUGH?

We don’t know, for fun and profit? Who among us hasn’t bribed a basketball company owned by a famous rapper, in order to get access to Steve Bannon in order to curry favor for our small Arab kingdom? LINE FORMS HERE, Y’ALL.

Anyway, Trump has flip-flopped and decided Qatar is just great recently. And Qatar has been doing its level best to take advantage of the ignorance of the Trump administration! They’ve been dallying with Jared Kushner, to the point that he always seems to be hitting Qatar up to save his family company’s ass. The nation claims to have “illicit information” about Kushner, but they decided not to tell Robert Mueller about it, because hello they are busy doing Trump administration ass kissing right now, and will only deploy that later if it becomes necessary. (We are guessing. Regardless, the Middle East is simply chock full of sheiks who say they have JK “in their back pocket,” because he’s an idiot in over his head, and also he needs to borrow five dollars AT ALL TIMES.)

We were promised Michael Avenatti.

Oh yes! So, TURNS OUT Ahmed al Rumaihi has been on the Trump scene longer than the story in this lawsuit would suggest! Michael Avenatti tweeted out pictures of al Rumaihi just cold chillin’ at Trump Tower with Michael Cohen on December 12, 2016, during the transition! Avenatti started by tweeting just the pictures.

Read more at https://wonkette.com/633844/what-do-mic ... otVtVcp.99
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am

Just as the left ended its love affair with Edward Snowden when it became obvious who he was, I hope the resistance and the left end their love affair with Avenatti soon.
And Assange.
Thanks pal.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Reality Check wrote:
If you feel the Stormy Daniels case/Cohen scandal is doing lasting political damage to Trump and the Republicans then that is a good outcome.
Much of what Avenatti is doing has nothing whatsoever to do with that case.
Thanks pal.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon May 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:47 am
Good points, RV and RC.

As to RC's points, at this time we don't know what we don't know (thanks to another Donald for that). I'd prefer a methodical investigation and charges brought on evidence untarnished by some ego driven grandstander. We don't know where Mueller is in his investigation, but the most Avenatti is doing at this point is buzzing around Trump-Giuliani-Cohen like a fly over a manure pile. At the end of the day I don't think that's helpful if the goal is to bring to justice as many miscreants as possible.

So, while some may think causing trouble or distraction or smear may be a good thing, since I don't know how this may affect the Mueller investigation, I'm concerned. (It reminds me about what Woody Hayes once said about a football. When you pass it three things can happen and two of them are bad.)
I have to ask - what was Woody like as a child when you were bouncing him on your knee?

July 2 it is. Anyone who is planning on being in the greater Los Angeles area on 7.2 or 7.3 is welcome to join me (woodworker, Stern and Geritol for corned beef, pastrami, etc. Will likely be in the south end of the San Fernando Valley.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm
Reality Check wrote:
If you feel the Stormy Daniels case/Cohen scandal is doing lasting political damage to Trump and the Republicans then that is a good outcome.
But a lot with Trump. Does being SD's lawyer forbid him to go for a bigger game ?
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Reality Check wrote:
I don't want the Orange Pendejo impeached - I want him castrated by a Democratic House and Senate, with non-stop investigations and indictments and convictions of everyone else. I am worried that a Trump impeachment would transfer all of his deplorables to Pence, who would also appeal to the traditional republicans.

A President Pence would get gazillions of favorable press coverage as the "liberal" media kisses his ass and promotes his accession as a return to good republican, heartland values, a return to civility, etc. and they will attack anyone who brings up Trump as "trapped in the past" and "not wanting to help the country move forward and heal." Getting rid of Trump would allow the Republican party and the media to immediately start attacking whatever Democrats decide to run just as they did with HRC and to do so without having to defend Trump (he will be retconned out of existence).

I want Trump tied to stakes in the ground and spreadeagled so that all of the congressional investigations can rip at his flesh (NADT).
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm

woodworker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

I don't want the Orange Pendejo impeached - I want him castrated by a Democratic House and Senate, with non-stop investigations and indictments and convictions of everyone else. I am worried that a Trump impeachment would transfer all of his deplorables to Pence, who would also appeal to the traditional republicans.

:snippity: I want Trump tied to stakes in the ground and spreadeagled so that all of the congressional investigations can rip at his flesh (NADT).
:yeah:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm

IMHO, part of Trump's usual MO is to attack the attacker by attacking their physical attributes - that is a problem with Avenatti: he doesn't appear to be bothered by his baldness, he is much younger and better looking than Trump and he clearly outshines Trump on the testosterone scale -- Trump golfs, which may appeal to CEO's and old farts like me ("like" me, but not me), but that doesn't compare to Formula One Racing and being photographed all the time in a race driver suit.

Another part of Trump's usual MO is to take a failing or fault of his own and then flip that onto his opponent. I have no doubt that once Trump identifies something he can flip, he will attack Avenatti for that.

And most of Trump's opponents are too civil and not as experienced in twisting the knive, and not as talented with "the" Twitter and with the PR side of it, and to the extent that they are, they just aren't good looking enough and suave enough to go on a PR blitz. Avenatti has been unfailingly polite, while at the same time sticking a shiv into your belly and then twisting it through your innards. Avenatti has a certain, considerable amount of natural charm and, apparently, a huge comfort level with the whole PR side of this -- he looks like he is having a good time while at the same time he positions Ms. Clifford, and himself, as the underdog fighting for justice against the big bad billionaire bully.

I don't believe that Trump is holding back attacking Avenatti for strategic or tactical reasons or because he is afraid of Avenatti or because he believes that Avenatti has dirt on him -- IMHO none of those factors would stop Trump because he truly believes that anything and everything he does is correct and justified. I think he just hasn't found the right line of attack yet.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
But a lot with Trump. Does being SD's lawyer forbid him to go for a bigger game ?
Good to see you again Carl. Any chance that you might answer the questions I posed to you a few days ago re: Sterngard being a Trump troll/supporter? I really need to know before I have lunch with Stern -- should I cancel meeting him? Should I be afraid of him?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

woodworker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm
:snippity:
And most of Trump's opponents are too civil and not as experienced in twisting the knive, and not as talented with "the" Twitter and with the PR side of it, and to the extent that they are, they just aren't good looking enough and suave enough to go on a PR blitz. Avenatti has been unfailingly polite, while at the same time sticking a shiv into your belly and then twisting it through your innards. Avenatti has a certain, considerable amount of natural charm and, apparently, a huge comfort level with the whole PR side of this -- he looks like he is having a good time while at the same time he positions Ms. Clifford, and himself, as the underdog fighting for justice against the big bad billionaire bully.
You put your finger on something I have been thinking about but not been able to put into words as clearly as you just did. That's why despite his faults I like Avenatti. He is not afraid to take on anyone and handles himself well in adversarial situations in interviews. It's also why Faux News is scared to death to have him appear.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon May 14, 2018 2:40 pm

If he wants to go to war with Fake Fox News...who are we to complain?

Michael Avenatti Posts Photos Of Cohen With Qatari Investor Accused Of Bribery
Avenatti indicated that the photos and information he posted Sunday were payback for the “refusal of various” unspecified “parties to come clean” and to “stop with the personal attacks.” Although he didn’t specify who he was talking about, the attorney taunted: “Keep pushing us.”

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

woodworker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm
Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Good to see you again Carl. Any chance that you might answer the questions I posed to you a few days ago re: Sterngard being a Trump troll/supporter? I really need to know before I have lunch with Stern -- should I cancel meeting him? Should I be afraid of him?
Hi woodworker,

I will happily answer your questions, now that you have given up the role of Grand Inquisitor of the Holy Roman Inquisition.

No, Sterngard Friegen is surely not a Trump troll /supporter (I should know).

If you should be afraid of him?

You do obviously know him personally, I do not. So the answer rests with you.

Cheerio
Carl
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Crossposted from Cohen :

woodworker wrote: ↑
Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote: ↑
Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 am

Carl von Ossietsky wrote: ↑
Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 am

Your name giving and the comparing with Klayman and Taitz indicates for me that Avenatti is your foe like they are. I call that "strange " again.

I think the name calling and comparisons instead indicate Stern’s contempt for Avenatti’s lack of knowledge and professional standards. Klayman and Taitz are two lawyers who give lawyers a bad name. Both should have been disbarred a long time ago. None of these three lawyers are foes as much as they are incompetent publicity seeking buffoons. Some on this board are willing to give Avenatti a pass since his actions serve to poke at Trump and Cohen. Stern is less forgiving of Avenatti’s incompetence.

Avenatti's incompetence has still to be proved. The link from Res Ipsa somewhere up shows much more competence than incompetence. I call out any lawyer on this board to claim (no prove necessary ) that he / she was more successful at Avenattis actual age.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Avenatti's incompetence has still to be proved. The link from Res Ipsa somewhere up shows much more competence than incompetence. I call out any lawyer on this board to claim (no prove necessary ) that he / she was more successful at Avenattis actual age.
I guess that depends on what you mean by "incompetent" and "successful". I doubt I'll be elected president by the time I'm Trump's age. That doesn't make him competent at it.
Thanks pal.

dcsalmon

Post by dcsalmon » Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm
woodworker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

:snippity: I want Trump tied to stakes in the ground and spreadeagled so that all of the congressional investigations can rip at his flesh (NADT).
seconded :yeah:

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

I guess that depends on what you mean by "incompetent" and "successful". I doubt I'll be elected president by the time I'm Trump's age. That doesn't make him competent at it.
Well, I never met in 40 professional years an incompetent, yet successful lawyer. To be an excellent and successful lawyer you need not even to be able to "dot all the I's ". A successful lawyer friend of mine is dyslexic.

Added:

I don't know if parts of this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Avenatti

Avenatti has written himself or initiated. Because only parts have to be true to make him a competent and successful lawyer. A shame that some - for whatever reasons - compare him with Klayman and Taitz.

Added again:
Or, Foggy, call him a "Shitty "lawyer. How did he deserve that ? I better continue my studies of group psychology, may be I understand then..

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 pm

woodworker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm
IMHO, part of Trump's usual MO is to attack the attacker by attacking their physical attributes - that is a problem with Avenatti: he doesn't appear to be bothered by his baldness, he is much younger and better looking than Trump and he clearly outshines Trump on the testosterone scale -- Trump golfs, which may appeal to CEO's and old farts like me ("like" me, but not me), but that doesn't compare to Formula One Racing and being photographed all the time in a race driver suit.

Another part of Trump's usual MO is to take a failing or fault of his own and then flip that onto his opponent. I have no doubt that once Trump identifies something he can flip, he will attack Avenatti for that.

I don't believe that Trump is holding back attacking Avenatti for strategic or tactical reasons or because he is afraid of Avenatti or because he believes that Avenatti has dirt on him -- IMHO none of those factors would stop Trump because he truly believes that anything and everything he does is correct and justified. I think he just hasn't found the right line of attack yet.
i guarantee that Thwimp is having Prince do a very deep dive into Avenatti's background for anything remotely smelling of impropriety to release at the pivotal moment of "getting too close" as was done with Schneiderman. They had that dirt on him for years. and only played it now as revenge(?) for the Trump U fraud case.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”