US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

DejaMoo

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Special counsel prosecutor Andrew Weissmann says there is case law outside of DC that says courts can consider conduct outside of the charged crimes in considering the acceptance of resp. issue, although there isn't case law out of DC

Jackson says that Manafort will get guidelines credit for acceptance of responsibility — she agrees with the govt that the court can look at conduct outside of the charged offense, but she says the underlying conduct is the "driving factor," and Manafort had admitted that

However, the judge says that there's also the broader question of whether Manafort accepted responsibility that is separate from the guidelines calculation, and she'll consider that later

Manafort's lawyer Kevin Downing asks Jackson to consider that the superseding information references the bank fraud, re: her consideration of what needs to run concurrent to the EDVA sentence. Jackson says bank fraud isn't encompassed in the fraud conspiracy count he pleaded to

Re: financial issues — Weissmann says the government is not arguing that a separate fine for Manafort is necessary. Manafort's lawyer Richard Westling says that they oppose the govt's request for an $11M money judgment

We're now on arguments from the lawyers about what sentence Manafort should get. Weissmann is up first: "We're here today because of crimes Paul Manafort committed for over a decade."

Weissmann stresses the importance of the Foreign Agents Regis. Act, saying the public and elected officials need to know what foreign govts are lobbying the US to do: "That law got in the way of Mr. Manafort. Secrecy was integral to what Mr. Manafort wanted to do for Ukraine."

Weissmann calls Manaforts violation of FARA "egregious," saying Manafort not only failed to report his work for Ukraine, but he had other companies involved conceal their role, created a sham group to serve as a "fig leaf," and then filed an "false and incomplete" report in 2017

Re: the witness tampering conspiracy, Weissmann says that it's a crime that goes to the "heart" of the justice system, and notes that Manafort tried to interfere with witnesses while he was already the subject of a prosecution

Weissmann, re: witness tampering: "That is not reflective of somebody who has learned a harsh lesson. It is not a reflection of remorse, it is evidence that something is wrong with sort of a moral compass, that somebody in that position would choose to make that decision."
I've heard this bull before.

DejaMoo

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Manafort's lawyer Kevin Downing is up. He begins by trying to distinguish Manafort's failure to register as an agent for Ukraine with other FARA cases by saying that Manafort's work for Ukraine wasn't a total secret, he was in touch with the State Department

Downing and Jackson are going back and forth re: Manafort being told he needed to file a FARA report early in 2017 — Downing says the FARA office has said its priority is to get people to file, not bring crim charges (though he acknowledges that's not an impediment to charges)

Downing says that when Manafort was questioned by the FBI a few years before the Mueller probe stepped in about his work for Ukraine, he identified some of his foreign bank accounts. The judge asks how many he did *not* identify. Downing says he doesn't know

Downing refers to the "political motivation" around the case. Jackson jumps in, asking what exactly he means by that. Downing says it was not directed at the prosecutors, but rather the general "media frenzy" around Manafort's case

Downing says the media attention has resulted in a "very harsh process" for Manafort, and he asks Jackson to take that into consideration. Downing: "But for a short stint as a campaign manager in a presidential election, I don't think we'd be here today," he says

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Manafort atty Richard Westling briefly argues the guidelines are too high b/c of how the FARA violations interact w/ the money laundering. Jackson asks, weren't the guidelines also high in EDVA, where money laundering wasn't a factor, b/c of the amount of $ at issue? He says yes

After Tom Zehnle briefly addresses the witness tampering, noting the "gradations" in that kind of criminal activity, Paul Manafort is up now

Manafort says that he was perhaps not as clear about what was in his heart when he addressed the judge in Virginia: "I am sorry for what I've done and for all the activities that have gotten us here today."

Manafort says he's upset at the pain he's caused his family, and has "already begun to changje": "I stand here today to assure the court that I'm a different person from the one who came before you in October of 2017."

"I take responsibility for the consequences of these actions," Manafort says. He asks to not be separated from his wife for more than the 47 months he was sentenced to in Virginia

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Jackson begins by saying the briefing and arguments have been marked by "passion" and "hyperbole": "This defendant is not public enemy number one. But he’s not a victim either."

Jackson says that notwithstanding inferences in the briefing, the question of whether or not there was a conspiracy or collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is not before the court, "period."

Jackson: The case will not be an "indictment" or an "endorsement" of the special counsel, "nor does it fall to me to pass judgment on Paul Manafort as a human being"

Jackson says it would be "hard to overstate" the number of lies and the extent of the fraud, "and there is no good expalantion that would warrant the leniency requested"

Jackson: Why did Manafort do it? To sustain a lifestyle at the "most opulent and extravagant" level, the judge said — many houses for one family, and "more suits than one man can wear"

Re: Manafort's failure to report his work for Ukraine to the US government, Jackson says there was a deliberate effort to obscure his work and hide the truth. "If the people don't have the facts, democracy can’t work."

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Re: witness tampering, Jackson says: "He pled guilty to conspiring to corruptly persuade another person — two people — with the intent to influence their testimony in an official proceeding. And which official proceding? This one. The case against Mr. Manafort himself."

Jackson said it seemed that Manafort was trying to downplay what he did in reaching out to witnesses, and that gave her concern about his acceptance of responsibility

Jackson: The back and forth early on about Manafort's assets and whether he could post enough to be free pending trial appeared to reflect Manafort's "contempt for and his belief he had the right to manipulate these proceedings" and that court orders and rules didn't apply to him

Re: Manafort's cooperation, Jackson said while he did sit for sessions and provide information: "But the problem is that the defendant’s own conduct makes it difficult to assess the value of the information that he did provide.”

Jackson said she appreciated Manafort's comments today, but found it "striking" he chose not to write something to her in advance of sentencing, which she said many defendants have done, incl. those who haven't finished high school or who don't speak English as a first langauge

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 am

John Santucci
‏Verified account @Santucci

"Saying I'm sorry I got caught is not an inspiring plea for leniency." - Judge in Manafort trial
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Remorse was "completely absent" from Manafort's sentencing submissions, the judge said, and she disapprovingly noted the effort to argue that it was only because the special counsel got involved that Manafort faced criminal charges

The judge slams Manafort and his lawyers for making the "unsubstantiated" claim that Manafort was only charged by Mueller's office because they couldn't charge him with anything related to the campaign. "The noncollusion mantra is simply a non sequitor"

Jackson: "The defendant's insistence that none of this should be happening to him… that the prosecution is misguided and excessive and invalid ... is just one more thing that is inconsistent with a genuine acceptance of responsibilty."

Jackson noted that both she and Ellis found that the charges against Manafort did fall within the special counsel's jurisdiction

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am

Damn, I wish they could have filmed this...

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am
:popcorn:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks a lot, Deja.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Jackson: "Mr. Manafort, I don’t want to belititle or minimize the discomfort of prison for you. It is hard on everyone, young and old, rich and poor."

Jackson says 30 months of her sentence must be concurrent with the EDVA sentence, because the tax and reporting crimes were covered in both cases (and in EDVA he got 24 months for the tax crimes and 30 months for the reporting crime, to run concurrent)

Jackson says the witness tampering count warrants a consecutive sentence, but the full five-year maximum is too much

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm

https://twitter.com/AngrierWHStaff/stat ... 4269161474
Angry Staffer
‏ @AngrierWHStaff

“Witness tampering warrants a separate, consecutive sentence”

Boom
9:00 AM - 13 Mar 2019
Its happening bois
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

BREAKING: Paul Manafort has been sentenced to: -
Count 1: 60 months, with 30 months concurrent with EDVA sentence -
Count 2: 13 months, to run consecutive to count 1 and the EDVA sentence

jmj

Post by jmj » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm
Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

BREAKING: Paul Manafort has been sentenced to: -
Count 1: 60 months, with 30 months concurrent with EDVA sentence -
Count 2: 13 months, to run consecutive to count 1 and the EDVA sentence
Hmm, how does that stack up then with the other sentence? Since she explicitly stated that 30 months is concurrent, does that amount to
47 + 60 - 30 + 13 = 90 months?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Natasha Bertrand
‏Verified account @NatashaBertrand

BREAKING: Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentences Manafort to 60 months on count 1, which will run concurrent to 30 months of EDVA, and 13 months on count 2 to be served CONSECUTIVELY to sentence on count 1 and sentence imposed by EDVA.
9:01 AM - 13 Mar 2019

Natasha Bertrand
‏Verified account @NatashaBertrand

Natasha Bertrand Retweeted Natasha Bertrand

This is 43 extra months, so almost 4 years in addition to the ~4 he received in EDVA.
Not enough, but its better

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Shimon Prokupecz‏Verified account @ShimonPro
Paul Manafort ordered to serve an additional 43 months in prison

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Michael Zeldin on CNN just said that 15% can be taken off for good behavior, doing the math in his head he thinks Manafort could get out in November 2024. Shame he won't be able to vote. Not.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am
:popcorn:
Oh well, I hope Maddow gets the transcript in time for a read out tonight.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:18 pm

He will be, what, 74 when he gets out.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

I am younger and I don't know I would survive that long in prison. I'd lay better than even odds he will not.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Sounds about right in terms of both release and the additional sentence. The guidelines are harsh, and the new sentence isn't supposed to factor in the existing one in terms of computing time (just what's consecutive/concurrent). Yeah, it would have been nice if ABJ maxed his ass out to account for Ellis' leniency, but that's not what she was supposed to do.

And given the bumbling and amateurish nature of the attempt at witness tampering that he pled to, 13 months doesn't seem unreasonable for that charge.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm
I am younger and I don't know I would survive that long in prison. I'd lay better than even odds he will not.
I'll take that bet and raise you better than even he gets pardoned/commuted in under two.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 pm

I would not take your bet. That's why we need to get that corrupt turd out of the White House. :madguy:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:47 pm

I wouldn't put any money on anything that twittler might or might not do, but I'd guess he might not pardon until the end of his first (and only :pray: ) term.

And, WHOA, his attorney just came out and said "No collusion here." At least he got heckled and called a liar this time.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm
Reality Check wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm
I'll take that bet and raise you better than even he gets pardoned/commuted in under two.
Methinks a pardon during the election campaign would be a major faux pas. I think he will serve at least through November 2020 cuz the pardon could be construed as obstruction of justice. Hell, what do I know? We'll have to ask Hannity, Carlson or Pirro.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”