Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Media are the Goddam Problem

tek

Re: The Media are the Goddam Problem

Post by tek »

I'm not a fan of the "biden gets lucky" thread title.
It's doing what Fox News does.

After the first day I've been ignoring that thread.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

tek wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:49 am I'm not a fan of the "biden gets lucky" thread title.

I agree. I recognize and appreciate the fine irony, but when I weigh the pros and cons, I am against appropriating right-wing disinformation/gaslighting in any way.

Curiously, I have no problem with the similar "Thanks, Obama" meme. Maybe because it does not slam Obama in its literal sense.

BTW, writing this post inspired me to do some research on the difference between sarcasm and irony, which was quite fun.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/ge ... a-attacks/
Gender-based online violence spikes after prominent media attacks
January 26, 2022 Megan Brown, Zeve Sanderson, and Maria Alejandra Silva Ortega

After Carlson mocked Lorenz in his segment, her social media mentions and inbox were again filled with violent threats and harassment—a dynamic likely familiar to many women with a public presence online. The vitriol Lorenz endured was an example of gender-based online violence, which UNESCO recently characterized as online rhetoric against women designed to “induce fear, silence, and retreat; and … chill their active participation” in public debate. Yet as problematic as the phenomenon is, it remains relatively understudied. To better understand how gender-based online violence takes place, we therefore examined three instances in which female journalists were attacked by prominent male media figures on either social media or broadcast media, and then tracked the ways in which online violence against them spiked.

In order to analyze the relationship between attacks by prominent media figures and the quality of online discussion, we—NYU’s Center for Social Media and Politics and the International Women’s Media Foundation—collected data on three case studies: Carlson’s targeting of Taylor Lorenz above, the journalist Glenn Greenwald’s targeting of Lorenz on Twitter, and Carlson’s targeting of Virginia Heffernan in a separate segment on Fox News.

Our analysis used large-scale quantitative data to assess how the public conversation surrounding these journalists changed in the aftermath of being targeted by prominent media personalities. The research findings showed sharp increases in harmful speech after the journalists were targeted by Carlson and Greenwald.
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 9.45.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 9.45.16 AM.png (77.78 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Would be interesting to see if the stats are different for Male journalists who are similarly targeted. I would hypothesize that the insults would be different but the rate of attacks would be the same. Bullying is bullying.
Hic sunt dracones
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

it implies that he just had things fall in his lap.

HE has WORKED 1000000% to make things happen and he needs credit for what he has done.

he is not just "lucky"
filly

Post by filly »

tek wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:49 am I'm not a fan of the "biden gets lucky" thread title.

Good. Are you hearing about Biden's "gaffe" about Putin staying in power anymore? NO.

It in no way is "doing what Fox News does." It was a commentary on a HUUUGE "SCANDAL" that died a quick death because it was replaced by another scandal. It was also irony. Maybe that's a bridge too far for you.

But you guys do you. You are all free to start your own threads here, the last time I checked.
filly

Post by filly »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:11 pm it implies that he just had things fall in his lap.

HE has WORKED 1000000% to make things happen and he needs credit for what he has done.

he is not just "lucky"
It implies no such thing. See my post above.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Got pissed off first thing this morning.
Watching @GMA Good Morning America: Weekend Edition. At the 12 min mark they start showing posted gas station prices of $6 to over $7 per gallon!

Nowhere in the US is it over $6!

This is gaslighting of the American people.

The media MUST be called on these LIES!
#abcLies

Unfortunately, no one listens to me.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I was out running errands today and it's 6.37 at the freeway adjacent stations in my burg, and diesel was 7.05 at one, so it does exist.

(5.99 at the name brand stations away from the freeway, and 5.37 to 5.43 at the cheap spots)
Image Image Image Image
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I did a Google search for highest current gas prices before posting. Google lied.

Also, diesel doesn't count and they were showing multiple photos of gas station posted prices making it look like those were the current prices all over.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybe not most nights, but a lot of nights, the local news talks about the price of gasoline being up one or two cents, and sometimes down a few cents. This is not news.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The thing to remember about stories on gas prices is that they're giving you average prices, except for stories like the one on GMA where they're showing visuals of the highest end of those averages.

I saw two stations at 6.37 today, but if I average the prices of the seven stations I passed I can tell you that a gallon of gas is going for 5.76 here.
Image Image Image Image
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

The Grammys suck. They suck, suck and suck. They are a tool of Satan, flanked by Mediocrity, Irrelevance and Narcissism, with Auto-Tune, Bribery and Death bringing up their rear. They offered no condolences for Sacramento. Shame on them.
tek

Post by tek »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 pm I did a Google search for highest current gas prices before posting. Google lied.

Also, diesel doesn't count and they were showing multiple photos of gas station posted prices making it look like those were the current prices all over.
Definitely want to send those crews to San Francisco to get those price pix.
d1.jpg
d1.jpg (141.19 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Also, it seems prices in San Francisco mostly go up.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

What pisses me off is that the fucking media has shifted to "all that matters is inflation but we won't talk about why prices are rising, only about how Biden response is all wrong."

Call me, CBS. I'll be happy to give you my opinion about what's happening on the planet that is causing this, and about how I'm happy I get off with price rises rather than a bullet in the head thanks to Putin.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

filly wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:39 pm
But you guys do you. You are all free to start your own threads here, the last time I checked.
:smoking:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:01 am
:bighug: :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

tek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:01 am
Sequoia32 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:19 pm I did a Google search for highest current gas prices before posting. Google lied.

That proce gap, is that California state taxes, cause the rise in price is fairly in sync with the other locations?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Learn to love America again, turn off America-hating FOX News...

Fox viewers transformed after watching CNN for 30 days, report finds
Fox News viewers who were paid to watch CNN for 30 days eventually became more skeptical and less likely to buy into fake news, according to a new study.

The study titled “The manifold effects of partisan media on viewers’ beliefs and attitudes: A field experiment with Fox News viewers” by David E Brockman and Joshua L Kalla was conducted in September 2020 and published last week.

“Of 763 qualifying participants, we then randomised 40 per cent to treatment group. To change the slant of their media diet, we offered treatment group participants $15 per hour to watch 7 hours of CNN per week, during Sept. 2020, prioritising the hours at which participants indicated they typically watched Fox News,” the study said.

The study found changes in attitudes and policy preferences about Covid-19, evaluations of then president Donald Trump and Republican candidates as well as elected officials.

“Despite regular Fox viewers being largely strong partisans, we found manifold effects of changing the slant of their media diets on their factual beliefs, attitudes, perceptions of issues’ importance, and overall political views,” the authors of the study said.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:55 pm
tek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:01 am

That proce gap, is that California state taxes, cause the rise in price is fairly in sync with the other locations?
California gas is more expensive than other states because of cleaner burning gas and seasonal formulas. The prices always spike during winter/summer/winter changeovers, and we do have ridiculous state gas taxes that are supposed to go to road maintenance & transit improvements, but the legislature is allatime diverting the money for other stuff which is why our roads suck.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 am
Reality Check wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:01 am
:bighug: :towel:
Loved the thread, kudos filly! My favorite part was when realist tried to shut it down for being off topic. Comedy!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The ultimate example of how MSM poisons viewers/listeners, in this case creating the impression that nothing can be done about anything.

I've spend my entire life working developing my understanding of where words come from and what they represent. First it was a joy. Now it is increasingly despairing, and this type of click-bait arrogance is one of the reasons why.

Too also, Chuck Todd is a tool.
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 1.46.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 1.46.28 PM.png (108.38 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm sure he's one of those at MSNBC who is unhappy with the Jen Psaki hire. She's a lot smarter than he, and she might take his program.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 pm I'm sure he's one of those at MSNBC who is unhappy with the Jen Psaki hire. She's a lot smarter than he, and she might take his program.
I hope so!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:36 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 pm I'm sure he's one of those at MSNBC who is unhappy with the Jen Psaki hire. She's a lot smarter than he, and she might take his program.
I hope so!
:winner:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”