House Judiciary/Intel: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Public Hearing - July 24 2019; Mueller Report

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: House Judiciary: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Public Hearing - July 17 2019; Mueller Report

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:11 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 am
Another day, another DOJ agreement with Congress scotched. If Barr really works at it, he can totally obliterate the Department's ability to negotiate with the Hill in good faith for the next several decades.
How this doesn't look like the spirit of obstruction of justice escapes me.
Totally agree with you. Barr would not, because his view of the Executive is such that the President cannot obstruct (can do no wrong, really), and by implication the entire Executive Branch cannot obstruct either.

How that philosophy is reconcilable with the existence of the remaining two branches of government being in any way meaningful, I have no clue.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

RTH10260

Re: House Judiciary: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Public Hearing - July 17 2019; Mueller Report

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am

Off Topic
Foggy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 am
James L. Quarles III
Oh, my. :shock:

Any relation to Lt. Quarles Harris Jr. the great military hero?
PS. how's the wine doing?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:11 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 am
Another day, another DOJ agreement with Congress scotched. If Barr really works at it, he can totally obliterate the Department's ability to negotiate with the Hill in good faith for the next several decades.
How this doesn't look like the spirit of obstruction of justice escapes me.
It's only obstruction in the eyes of about half the people of this country. The half that aren't glued to US State TV.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am
Off Topic
Foggy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 am
James L. Quarles III
Oh, my. :shock:

Any relation to Lt. Quarles Harris Jr. the great military hero?
PS. how's the wine doing?
I checked this morning, and my bottle of Quarles Harris Porto is still unopened since it was given to me in October 2010 by Princess Foofypants. However, I'm not sure if port improves with age like blue jeans, women, and many wines do. I have no plans to open it this century. :towel:
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 am

Can't wait for Wednesday.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm preparing for disappointment. I'm tired of Boy Scout Mueller. I want Deadpool Mueller.

(by Deadpool, I'm referring to Marvel Comics, not a Dirty Harry movie. Although, on second thought, Dirty Mueller would be even better.)
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 pm

:like:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Mueller is a good Republican. While he doesn't care what happens to Trump, he does want the Republican Party to remain in control. He's not going to do anything newsworthy.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Mueller is a good Republican. While he doesn't care what happens to Trump, he does want the Republican Party to remain in control. He's not going to do anything newsworthy.
So when Gym Jordan and Louie Gohmert attack him (and they will) will he just say "Yes, sir?"
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm
So when Gym Jordan and Louie Gohmert attack him (and they will) will he just say "Yes, sir?"
He won't make an reveals which will damage the Republican Party's chances to remain in power in the Senate. Fending off attacks from those two geniuses won't require much mental firepower from Mueller.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 am

It feels as if nobody read the Mueller report. That's a shame, because it's an important document, depicting possible crimes by a sitting US president.

But not reading it makes sense. As a narrative, the document is a disaster. And at 448 pages, it's too long to grind through. For long stretches, it reads less like a story and more like a terms-of-service agreement. The instinct to click "next" is strong.

And yet, buried within the Mueller report, there is a narrative that reads in parts like a thriller, like a comedy, like a tragedy — and, most important — like an indictment. The facts are compelling, all the more so because they come not from President Donald Trump's critics or "fake news" reports, but from Trump's own handpicked colleagues and associates. The story just needed to be rearranged in a better form.

So we hired Mark Bowden, a journalist and author known for his brilliant works of narrative nonfiction like "Black Hawk Down," "Killing Pablo," and "Hue 1968."
https://www.insider.com/mueller-report- ... 9-82014837

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am

The new angle on the fever swamp right is that Mueller was the one pressuring Acosta to go easy on Epstein. Expect it to come up at the hearing next week from the usual suspects.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am
The new angle on the fever swamp right is that Mueller was the one pressuring Acosta to go easy on Epstein. Expect it to come up at the hearing next week from the usual suspects.
One right wing "media" guy asked Acosta about this at his presser. Acosta obfuscated.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am
One right wing "media" guy asked Acosta about this at his presser. Acosta obfuscated.
I wonder if a light went off and he now sees a chance to dump this on Mueller, since his attempt to blame the FL prosecutor didn't go so well. Sure, he didn't confirm it, but he didn't deny it either. How long before trump tweets the Epstein disaster is all crooked Bob Mueller's fault, (or whatever name he gave him. I can't keep track).
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

The Hill
Members to have little time to question Mueller

Drama is building ahead of former special counsel Robert Mueller’s much-anticipated testimony on Capitol Hill.

Democrats are working to solidify their strategy to effectively question Mueller in the limited time they have.

Democrats say their plans are still in flux and that they’re still negotiating with Mueller and his team over the logistics of the appearance.

As of Thursday, Mueller’s testimony was set to be capped at roughly two hours per committee.

Under the current agreement, all 22 members of the House Intelligence Committee will get a question, as will 22 members of the 41-person House Judiciary Committee. Those questions will be evenly divided among Democrats and Republicans, leaving a number of members without a question.

But given the two hours of time per committee, lawmakers will have just a few minutes to ask their questions.

Adding a layer of complication are murmurs the Justice Department is seeking to block or limit the private testimony of two of Mueller’s deputies, something that could shake up the agreement.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

1. I'm reading Mueller's appearance is now delayed to July 24;

2. The Democrats should cede their time to a qualified committee counsel to do the questioning and let the shameful Republicans put on their monkey acts.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am
1. I'm reading Mueller's appearance is now delayed to July 24;

2. The Democrats should cede their time to a qualified committee counsel to do the questioning and let the shameful Republicans put on their monkey acts.
I agree with 'Filly. But being politicians who want to show they are doing something (since they aren't impeaching), each will seek face time and most will do a pathetic job.

Addie

Re: House Judiciary: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Public Hearing - July 24 2019; Mueller Report

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:42 am

The Hill
Mueller testimony likely to be delayed for one week

Former special counsel Robert Mueller’s public testimony before Congress is likely to be postponed until July 24, two sources familiar with the matter told The Hill.

The House Judiciary Committee is negotiating for lawmakers to have more time to question Mueller about his investigation into Russian interference and potential obstruction of justice by President Trump, the sources said. They cautioned that the situation is fluid and is pending a final agreement by the Democrats on his appearance.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: House Judiciary: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Public Hearing - July 24 2019; Mueller Report

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I hope Mueller realizes he has to speak to the nation, now. And that his laid back approach was a failure.

But I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm
I hope Mueller realizes he has to speak to the nation, now. And that his laid back approach was a failure.

But I don't want to get my hopes up too high.
My hopes and expectations could hardly be lower.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm

I find the delay depressing. My hopes were already pretty non-existent.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm

This is some bullshit. I don't trust these negotiators to do anything but agree to whittle away the scope until they just hand him a list of preapproved questions that he answers in writing. Then he passes along to the DOJ for redactions before Congress gets it. All the while the WH claims total exoneration for another month or 2.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm
i was listening to MSNBC in the car and it gave me the impression the delay is to give them more time interviewing Mueller. Right now, they only have two hours scheduled and half of that time will be given to republicans. So if they can get more time, they should. But pushing it back until right before recess seems problematic.

Also too, as the people on MSNBC were saying (whomever they were) was the dems need to organize this and check everybody's egos at the door. Pick one or two of the best and everyone else cede their time to them.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm
i was listening to MSNBC in the car and it gave me the impression the delay is to give them more time interviewing Mueller. Right now, they only have two hours scheduled and half of that time will be given to republicans. So if they can get more time, they should. But pushing it back until right before recess seems problematic.

Also too, as the people on MSNBC were saying (whomever they were) was the dems need to organize this and check everybody's egos at the door. Pick one or two of the best and everyone else cede their time to them.
I hope MSNBC and you are right.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

The Democratic House seems to be moving "at all deliberate speed." As we will remember from the desegregation cases, that's at a snail's pace.

I guess the criminal in the White House isn't near the top of the agenda for the Speaker.

Sad.

Return to “Congress”