Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

Slim Cognito

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:25 pm
WaPo
Nadler says House Democrats are probably not headed toward impeaching Trump

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said in an interview that President Trump is making it “increasingly difficult” to avoid impeachment but that his chamber is probably not headed in that direction.

Nadler, who would preside over impeachment proceedings in the House, also expressed frustration with Attorney General William P. Barr during the interview with CNBC, at one point calling him “just a liar” and alleging that Barr mischaracterized the special counsel’s findings on coordination between Russia and Trump’s campaign during the 2016 election.

Nadler, whose committee is planning hearings with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and key witnesses in his investigation, was asked by CNBC’s John Harwood about the timing of any potential impeachment proceedings that might follow. Some Democrats have argued that Trump obstructed Mueller’s probe and should be held accountable.

“It depends on what comes out,” Nadler said. “It depends where the American people are, whether they want to go that way or not. I don’t want to make it sound as if we’re heading for impeachment. Probably we’re not.”
Ok, so don't call it impeachment hearings. Have investigative hearings month after month after month so that every newscast starts with "Today we heard evidence the trump campaign did ..... It worked when they pounded Hillary's emails into our heads. Let's pound trump's corruption into everybody else's. So they won't convict and remove him. They didn't convict Hillary either, but they wore the public down.
ImageImageImage x4

Sunrise

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

Post by Sunrise » Wed May 15, 2019 8:26 pm

:yeah:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 am

That's how I see it. :smoking:

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am

WaPo OpEd - Walter Dellinger
Democrats’ obsession with redaction is obscuring the obvious: Trump committed high crime

I have become increasingly concerned about how the country has received the Mueller report. The Republican talking point is that it exonerated the president. The message from the Democratic House, meanwhile, is that the report is inconclusive. Those responses, one mendacious, one tepid and both erroneous, have shaped public understanding. They have not only allowed the president falsely to claim vindication but also left the public without a clear understanding of just how damning the report is.

Most Americans, understandably not having read the 448-page (redacted) report, may be influenced by how the principal parties have responded. If the report were, as the Republicans insist, an exoneration, one might demand to know how this unwarranted investigation got started in the first place, which is exactly how the GOP has proceeded to turn the conversation.

And if you thought the report was merely inconclusive, your natural reaction would be that you need to know more. You would say something like what many House Democrats are repeating endlessly: “We need to see the redactions” and “hear from witnesses” — suggesting that there is as of yet no sufficient basis for judging President Trump’s conduct.

The more I review the report, the more absurd and misleading the we-need-to-know-more response seems to be. And the more it seems to have contributed to public misunderstanding. How different would it have been if a unified chorus of Democratic leaders in Congress and on the campaign trail had promptly proclaimed the actual truth: This report makes the unquestionable case that the president regularly and audaciously violated his oath and committed the most serious high crimes and misdemeanors.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 am
That's how I see it. :smoking:
:yeah: It doesn't have to be called "impeachment" hearings. Regardless of what they call it, public hearings that go on and on and on are effective, as we have all witnessed. That is why Republicans do it. Because it's effective.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm

WaPo - Glenn Thrush
Pelosi Raises Impeachment as a Way to Break Trump’s Information Stonewall

WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested Thursday that House Democrats could always open an impeachment inquiry to pry free documents and testimony from stonewalling Trump administration officials — a sharp response to the White House’s blanket claim that House requests served no “legitimate” legislative purpose.

“The courts would respect it if you said we need this information to carry out our oversight responsibilities — and among them is impeachment,” Ms. Pelosi said during her weekly news conference at the Capitol.

“It doesn’t mean you’re going on an impeachment path, but it means if you had the information you might,” Ms. Pelosi said. “It’s about impeachment as a purpose.”

Her threat was the first time Ms. Pelosi suggested using impeachment as an information-gathering tool, although she had made the suggestion in private before, according to a person familiar with her thinking.

For weeks, the speaker has fought back efforts by many in her caucus to move ahead with impeachment proceedings based on President Trump’s order to ignore all House subpoenas on a broad range of investigations. Her stance has not changed, her aides said.

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm
WaPo - Glenn Thrush
“It doesn’t mean you’re going on an impeachment path, but it means if you had the information you might,” Ms. Pelosi said. “It’s about impeachment as a purpose.”
Good move.
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 5:06 pm

H/T Dr. Ken
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:29 pm
Didn't know where to post this but here's a Twitter thread in which representative Justin Amash becomes the first Republican to call for trump's impeachment.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Unrolled Amash:
Here are my principal conclusions:
1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.
2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.
3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.
4. Few members of Congress have read the report.

I offer these conclusions only after having read Mueller’s redacted report carefully and completely, having read or watched pertinent statements and testimony, and having discussed this matter with my staff, who thoroughly reviewed materials and provided me with further analysis.

In comparing Barr’s principal conclusions, congressional testimony, and other statements to Mueller’s report, it is clear that Barr intended to mislead the public about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s analysis and findings.

Barr’s misrepresentations are significant but often subtle, frequently taking the form of sleight-of-hand qualifications or logical fallacies, which he hopes people will not notice.

Under our Constitution, the president “shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” While “high Crimes and Misdemeanors” is not defined, the context implies conduct that violates the public trust.

Contrary to Barr’s portrayal, Mueller’s report reveals that President Trump engaged in specific actions and a pattern of behavior that meet the threshold for impeachment.

In fact, Mueller’s report identifies multiple examples of conduct satisfying all the elements of obstruction of justice, and undoubtedly any person who is not the president of the United States would be indicted based on such evidence.

Impeachment, which is a special form of indictment, does not even require probable cause that a crime (e.g., obstruction of justice) has been committed; it simply requires a finding that an official has engaged in careless, abusive, corrupt, or otherwise dishonorable conduct.

While impeachment should be undertaken only in extraordinary circumstances, the risk we face in an environment of extreme partisanship is not that Congress will employ it as a remedy too often but rather that Congress will employ it so rarely that it cannot deter misconduct.

Our system of checks and balances relies on each branch’s jealously guarding its powers and upholding its duties under our Constitution. When loyalty to a political party or to an individual trumps loyalty to the Constitution, the Rule of Law—the foundation of liberty—crumbles.

We’ve witnessed members of Congress from both parties shift their views 180 degrees—on the importance of character, on the principles of obstruction of justice—depending on whether they’re discussing Bill Clinton or Donald Trump.

Few members of Congress even read Mueller’s report; their minds were made up based on partisan affiliation—and it showed, with representatives and senators from both parties issuing definitive statements on the 448-page report’s conclusions within just hours of its release.

America’s institutions depend on officials to uphold both the rules and spirit of our constitutional system even when to do so is personally inconvenient or yields a politically unfavorable outcome. Our Constitution is brilliant and awesome; it deserves a government to match it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Associated Press: Michigan GOP congressman says Trump conduct is ‘impeachable’
Daily Beast: Republican Rep. Justin Amash: Trump Should Be Impeached
CNN: GOP congressman: Trump 'has engaged in impeachable conduct'
Politico: Michigan GOP congressman says Trump’s conduct impeachable

“Mueller’s report reveals that President Trump engaged in specific actions and a pattern of behavior that meet the threshold for impeachment,” Justin Amash wrote.
BuzzFeed News: Justin Amash Is The First Congressional Republican To Say Trump Committed Impeachable Offenses

The Michigan congressman also said that after reading the Mueller report, he believes Attorney General Bill Barr has deliberately misrepresented its findings.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Well, it's a small start, but it's a start.

Is he planning to retire soon?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I finally gave up on posting the links. This story is literally EVERYwhere. You'd think it was Friday or something. :swoon:
AndyinPA wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 pm
Well, it's a small start, but it's a start.

Is he planning to retire soon?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm

New York Times
Breaking With Party, G.O.P. Lawmaker Says Trump’s Conduct Reaches ‘Threshold of Impeachment’ ...

Earlier on Saturday, Representative Jamie Raskin, Democrat of Maryland, who serves on the House Judiciary Committee, said an increasing number of his colleagues — including many House Democrats closely allied with Ms. Pelosi — were moving toward a conclusion that some kind of impeachment proceeding was inevitable.

“We have to keep this in proportion with everything else we’re doing, but believe me, the anger and frustration is growing, not just in the public, but within the ranks of Democrats, too,” he said during an interview on MSNBC. “I believe that we are headed toward an impeachment inquiry.” ...

On Thursday, Ms. Pelosi said she would consider impeachment only as a means of compelling Mr. Barr and Donald F. McGahn II, the former White House counsel who cooperated extensively with the special counsel’s inquiry, to testify — despite Mr. Trump’s blanket call for current and former aides to stonewall all requests by Democrats for testimony or documents.

But first, she added, House committees must exhaust all their legal and legislative options.

“First we ask, then we subpoena friendly,” she said. “Then we subpoena otherwise, and then we see what we get. So let’s not leapfrog over what we think should be the path that should be taken.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 am

Just Security - Jill Wine-Banks
The Balance Has Shifted: The Data on Impeachment Favor Moving Ahead

[Editor’s note: Just Security is publishing a series in conversation with Sidney Blumenthal’s “An Open Memo: Comparison of Clinton Impeachment, Nixon Impeachment and Trump Pre-Impeachment.” Other authors in the series include John Dean, Ryan Goodman, Hon. Elizabeth Holtzman, Kevin Kruse and Julian Zelizer (co-authored), and Walter Pincus.]

Sidney Blumenthal’s opinion piece in Just Security has rightly provoked a lively conversation about the impeachability of President Donald Trump. More importantly, it solves the political conundrum at the center of the debate about how to balance the potential political impact of impeachment on the 2020 election with the moral and constitutional obligations of Congress to hold this president accountable in the face of the corruption and wrongdoing reported in the Mueller Report and the nightly news.

As one of the Assistant Watergate Special Prosecutors, I have first-hand knowledge of the evidence that proved President Richard Nixon’s guilt of obstruction of justice as set forth in articles of impeachment. I helped draft the Road Map that the House Judiciary Committee used to build its impeachment case against Nixon. I also closely observed my mentor at the Department of Justice, Chuck Ruff, who served as White House Counsel during the Clinton impeachment. Now, as an MSNBC Legal Analyst, I have had a front row seat to the mounting case against President Trump. For these reasons, I want to share my thinking and conclusions on this critical topic.

In my opinion, Blumenthal’s piece changes the balance to favor Congress acting now. His data decimate the major impediment to holding Trump accountable – the fear that this president would be strengthened by a House vote for impeachment with no conviction by the Senate. Contrary to popular belief, Blumenthal lays out a clear case that President Clinton did not benefit from impeachment and that comparisons to Clinton are highly misplaced. Clinton was at 66% approval before and after impeachment. Impeachment neither improved nor diminished his standing. He was popular before impeachment and just as popular afterward, whereas Trump’s approval ratings are at a stunningly low 39 percent and dropping. Indeed, Trump has never achieved even a 50% approval. This means that fears of holding Trump accountable via an impeachment inquiry are unfounded, leaving just the question of whether the evidence supports proceeding. The answer to that is a resounding, almost deafening, yes.

What’s more, Blumenthal’s analysis shows the greater relevance of Nixon’s impeachment to the case against Trump. Elizabeth Holtzman, who as a freshman representative from New York served on the House Judiciary Committee during Nixon’s impeachment, added in her comments on Blumenthal’s piece, that not only is Nixon’s impeachment relevant to the House’s actions against Trump, but that Nixon’s impeachment was a political bonanza for Democrats in the subsequent midterms. They gained seats, in part because of the way Republicans mishandled a clear case of impeachable offenses.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 19, 2019 12:15 pm

New York Times OpEd - Brenda Wineapple
Impeachment Is a Form of Hope

The prosecution of President Andrew Johnson in 1868 was an attempt to restore faith in American’s original ideals.

When we talk about whether to impeach President Trump, we cite the near impeachment of Richard Nixon or the actual prosecution of Bill Clinton. Oddly, though, we don’t talk much about the first-ever presidential impeachment, which very nearly succeeded in removing Andrew Johnson from office.

In the spring of 1868, his impeachment trial was the hottest thing in town. Walt Whitman often sat in the Senate gallery, and Anthony Trollope finagled a seat when he visited Washington. Men and women lucky enough to receive a color-coded ticket — a different color for each day’s hearing — handed it to uniformed Capitol police officers, who checked them for explosives before they were allowed to enter the building. Reporters pushed into the Senate gallery, furiously scribbling, and newsboys shouted the latest on Washington streets.

That year, Congress faced questions about presidential power strikingly similar to the ones being debated today. Johnson was said to obstruct justice, defy the Constitution, disregard Congress, issue executive orders willy-nilly, to consider his attorney general his chief propagandist and even to call for the execution of perceived enemies.

Of course, the impeachment of President Johnson took place in the aftermath of a brutal war, a presidential assassination, and the struggle not just to end slavery but also to create a fair, equal and just republic. Many of Lincoln’s fellow Republicans had initially assumed that Johnson, although a Southern Democrat, would help heal the country and eradicate the pernicious, lingering effects of slavery. Otherwise, as Representative Thaddeus Stevens of Pennsylvania warned, white supremacy “will germinate and produce the same bloody strife which has just ended.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm

The Hill
Dem senator: Many Republicans 'privately expressed concerns' about Mueller findings

Sen. Christopher Coons (D-Del.) said Monday that several of his Republican colleagues had "privately expressed concerns" about the findings of special counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russia's election interference and the Trump campaign. ...

“Many privately expressed concerns about what was revealed in the Mueller report in part because of the gap between what Attorney General [William] Barr characterized as being in the Mueller report and what was actually in the Mueller report for those who have taken the time to read through it," Coons said. ...

Mueller handed over his report to Barr in late March. The attorney general quickly released a four-page summary of the top-line conclusions to Congress. Mueller, in a March letter that was released this month, raised concerns to Barr about his memo, writing that it didn't "capture the context, nature and substance of this office's work and conclusions."

Coon's comments come after Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), a member of the House Freedom Caucus, said in a tweet over the weekend that he had finished reading Mueller's report on Russia's election interference and the Trump campaign. He outlined four of his "principal conclusions," including that he believes Trump "has engaged in impeachable conduct."

Coons added on Monday that he was "surprised" Amash said publicly "what I think many are thinking privately."

“Those who have read the Mueller report cannot avoid the conclusion that the President and some of his absolutely core advisers engaged in profoundly disappointing, reprehensible conduct. Conduct that would rise to the level of an obstruction of justice charge if he were anyone other than the president of the United States,” he said.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am

Amash is continuing to defend his position despite the republicans.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am

WaPo
Some in Pelosi’s leadership team rebel on impeachment, press her to begin an inquiry

Several members of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s leadership team pressed her to begin an impeachment inquiry against President Trump in a series of Monday night meetings, according to multiple officials in the rooms — an effort the speaker rebuffed each time.

At least five members of Pelosi’s leadership team — four of whom also sit on the House Judiciary Committee, with jurisdiction over impeachment — pressed Pelosi (D-Calif.) in a closed-door leadership meeting to allow the panel to start an inquiry, which they argued would help investigators attain documents and testimony that Trump has blocked.

Several hours later, Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler met with Pelosi as well and made the case to start the inquiry, he later told his panel member on a call.

Pelosi declined to endorse the idea both times, according to the officials either in or familiar with what happened in both meetings. She and House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) argued that such an inquiry would undercut other House investigations — or that the idea was not supported by other members in the caucus.

Pelosi has long been an impeachment skeptic and tried to tamp down impeachment talk in her ranks as recently as last week by encouraging members to focus on their legislative agenda. But members of the House Judiciary panel appear to have had enough after the White House on Monday again blocked a key witness in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report from cooperating with their investigations.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Philadelphia Inquirer
Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon of Pa. calls for impeaching Trump

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon, a Delaware County Democrat who sits on the House Judiciary Committee, called Tuesday for opening impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump, adding to a roiling debate within her party.

Scanlon is the second Pennsylvania member of Congress to call for impeachment, after U.S. Rep. Dwight Evans, a Philadelphia Democrat who took that stand in 2017. As a member of the judiciary committee, she would be part of the panel that would begin the proceedings and investigate the president. Scanlon’s statement came as members of the House Democratic leadership team have increased the pressure on Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) to move ahead with impeachment, which Pelosi has long resisted.

Scanlon announced her stand on the day former White House counsel Don McGahn defied a subpoena to appear from the committee and face questions about Trump and potential obstruction of justice. Trump has vowed to fight all subpoenas as Democrats seek to investigate his administration’s actions and policies.

“Congress has patiently tried to work within traditional means to get to the bottom of this extraordinary situation. But, we have reached an inflection point,” Scanlon said in her statement. “The President’s refusal to produce evidence or permit witness testimony defies not only the rule of law but the basic protections of our Constitution. No one is above the rule of law. The time has come to start an impeachment inquiry because the American people deserve to know the truth and to have the opportunity to judge the gravity of the evidence and charges leveled against the President.”

She said it was “by no means an easy decision” but that Trump’s “efforts to cover up his acts, and those of his campaign and administration, threaten the foundation of our democracy.”
Adding:
New York Mag - Jonathan Chait: Just This Week, Trump Has Already Committed 5 More Impeachable Acts
The State: ‘Even Democrats are divided’ when it comes to impeaching Trump, SC poll finds

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Newsweek
‘When, Not If’: Democrats Warn House Leadership That a Trump Impeachment Inquiry Is Now Inevitable

House Democrats increasingly supported opening an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump amid the continued stonewalling of congressional investigations by the White House. The growing number of calls had come despite pushback from the House leadership that the party would be playing into the president’s hands by initiating a divisive, partisan proceeding.

Don McGahn’s absence at a Tuesday morning House Judiciary Committee hearing was the straw that broke the camel’s back for several members—both on the committee and in the rank and file—who pointed to Trump's directing former White House counsel Don McGahn not to testify as continued obstruction and proof of a “cover-up.”

Democrats on the Judiciary Committee, who have the power to begin an impeachment inquiry, argued that such a proceeding would not necessarily mean a final vote to remove the president from office would happen. Rather, they said that an inquiry would offer their investigation into obstruction of justice and abuse of power more legal remedies to obtain the witness testimonies and documents that subpoenas had failed to produce.

Rank-and-file members began to fall in line with their colleagues on the panel, despite pushback from leadership, which continued to support investigations and taking matters to the courts.

“I think the sheer disregard for the provisions of the Constitution and checks and balances is enough reason to begin a formal inquiry,” said Representative John Yarmuth, a Kentucky Democrat and chairman of the Budget Committee. “I think there is a growing understanding that an impeachment process is going to be inevitable. It’s just a question of when, not if.”
Adding:
New Republic: Impeachment Is Coming

Speaker Pelosi's plan to keep Trump's crimes and misdemeanors on the back burner has been overtaken by events—and a Michigan Republican.
Associated Press: Wisconsin lawmaker calls for President Trump impeachment

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Democratic U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan is calling for impeachment proceedings to move forward against President Donald Trump.
The Week: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is officially calling for Trump’s impeachment
Axios: House Democrats' calls for impeachment grow louder

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 am

Reuters
House speaker says Trump is engaged in a 'cover up'

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the House of Representatives believe U.S. President Donald Trump is engaged in a “cover up,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Wednesday.

Pelosi spoke to reporters following a meeting of House Democrats as lawmakers contend with how to handle multiple investigations into Trump, a Republican, and his administration, including whether to launch an impeachment inquiry.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 pm

WaPo
Trump abruptly cancels infrastructure meeting with Democrats after Pelosi says he is ‘engaged in a coverup’

President Trump abruptly ended a meeting with Democratic leaders on Wednesday, saying he was unable to work with them on legislation following comments by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) that he was “engaged in a coverup.”

Trump made an unscheduled appearance in the Rose Garden shortly afterward and in a meandering 10-minute address said he had left the meeting with Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) at which they were supposed to talk about working together on a $2 billion infrastructure plan.

“Instead of walking in happily to a meeting, I walk in to look at people who said I was doing a coverup,” Trump said, adding that he can’t work on infrastructure “under these circumstances.”

Pelosi made her comments earlier Wednesday morning after a closed-door meeting with House Democrats called to discuss ongoing investigations of Trump and his administration. Despite her accusation of a coverup, Pelosi and all but one of her six committee chairmen with investigative powers tamped down talk of impeachment proceedings during the meeting.

Speaking to reporters shortly after Trump’s appearance in the Rose Garden, Pelosi and Schumer said they were taken aback by Trump’s behavior.

“To watch what happened in the White House would make your jaw drop,” Schumer said.

Cross-posting
CNBC: ‘I don’t do cover-ups’: Trump angrily lashes out at Democratic probes at surprise White House press conference after cancelling infrastructure sitdown
New York Times
Trump Walks Out on Democrats After 3 Minutes

WASHINGTON — President Trump abruptly blew up a scheduled meeting with Democratic congressional leaders on Wednesday, lashing out at Speaker Nancy Pelosi for accusing him of a cover-up and declaring that he could not work with them until they stopped investigating him.

He then marched out into the Rose Garden, where reporters had been gathered, and delivered a statement bristling with anger as he demanded that Democrats “get these phony investigations over with.” He said they could not legislate and investigate at the same time. “We’re going to go down one track at a time,” he said.

The confrontation came on a day when pressure over a possible impeachment effort raised temperatures on both sides of the aisle. Ms. Pelosi arrived at the White House for a session with the president set to talk about infrastructure shortly after meeting with restive House Democrats to talk about impeachment. She emerged from that meeting with Democrats accusing Mr. Trump of a “cover-up.”

When she and Senator Chuck Schumer arrived at the White House, Mr. Trump was loaded for bear. He walked into the Cabinet Room, did not shake anyone’s hand or sit in his seat, according to a Democrat informed about the meeting. He said he wanted to advance legislation on infrastructure, trade and other matters, but that “Speaker Pelosi said something terrible today and accused me of a cover-up,” according to the Democrat.

After just three minutes, he left the room before anyone else could speak, the Democrat said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Daily Beast - Rick Wilson (paywall)
Pelosi’s Strategy Is Working, and Trump Is One Step Closer to Being F*cked

Democrats who want impeachment yesterday aren’t paying attention. Between McGahn, the ruling on taxes, and Cohen, the Resistance has had a banner week.

I’ve been a deep skeptic of impeachment as a political strategy, putting me solidly in the Nancy Pelosi go-slow camp. I’ve argued time and again that the smart play is IIABN: Impeachment in All but Name, but the great beast of Washington shambles ever forward, its ponderous, inexorable tread leading it toward the inevitable impeachment proceedings against Donald John Trump, 45th president of the United States.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 pm

He never planned on staying in that meeting. It was all a setup. The poster was already set up in the Rose Garden.

He only plays to his base. Everybody else knows what he's full of.

(And speaking of playing to his base, a FB "friend" linked to a post today that accused liberals of killing babies as soon as they are born. That fell out of twitler's mouth in the last few weeks. I guess it works. :brickwallsmall: )

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 23, 2019 12:53 pm

NBC News
Pelosi tells colleagues Trump is 'villainous' — and he wants to be impeached

The House speaker's message to Democrats came as vocal support for impeachment rose among lawmakers in the caucus.

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told her Democratic colleagues Thursday that President Donald Trump “wants to be impeached” so that he can be vindicated by the Senate.

Pelosi made the comments at a closed-door morning meeting, two Democratic aides told NBC News, who also said that Pelosi called Trump’s actions “villainous.”

The aide said that Pelosi was implying that she will stick to her current plan to keep investigating the president and his administration without jumping to impeachment, though she didn’t explicitly address strategy in her remarks.

"Let me be very clear: the president's behavior, as far as his obstruction of justice, the things that he is doing, it's in plain sight, it cannot be denied — ignoring subpoenas, obstruction of justice," Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference Thursday following the closed-door meeting.

But she continued to stress a focus on process. "I do think that impeachment is a very divisive place to go in our country," she said. "Get the facts to the American people in our investigation...it may take us to a place that is unavoidable in terms of impeachment, but we’re not at that place."

Thirty-two members of the House Democratic caucus have so far voiced supported for opening an impeachment inquiry against Trump, many of whom came out in support of such a strategy just this week.
Adding:
The Atlantic - Quinta Jurecic: Impeachment Is a Refusal to Accept the Unacceptable

Taking action against Trump is a rejection of the idea that nothing matters.
Talking Points Memo: In 20 Tweets, GOP Rep. Justin Amash Lays Out Case For Impeachment

Return to “Congress”