President Obama's Farewell Speech, Jan 10 2017, Chicago

Addie

President Obama's Farewell Speech, Jan 10 2017, Chicago

Post by Addie »

Inquisitr
Free Tickets To Barack Obama's Chicago Farewell Speech On January 10: President's Goodbye Should Be One For the Ages ...

Whereas the below photos show the travels of the Obamas from Hawaii to Washington, President Obama chose Chicago as the location to deliver his last farewell speech on January 10. Chicago’s McCormick Place will be the location of President Obama’s goodbye speech to the world, as reported by the White House on Monday. Although Mr. Obama’s farewell speech in Chicago will be free and open to the public, tickets will be required to attend the speech — and those tickets will be distributed on Saturday, January 7. ...

According to ABC 7 Chicago, there will only be one ticket per individual given out for President Obama’s farewell speech. The tickets to the farewell speech will be given out at McCormick Place on Saturday; however, an exact time that the tickets will be distributed has not be released at this time. The White House’s tweet links to the government’s page where updates will be posted about the tickets. The link notes that Mr. Obama’s speech will be held at McCormick Place on Tuesday evening and advises people to arrive early. According to NBC Chicago, doors open at 5 p.m. ...

The farewell speech of President Obama in Chicago should be historic, seeing as how Mr. Obama’s roots and meteoric rise from Chicago are well known. When the 44th president returned to Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood during his presidency, the hustle and bustle and road blockage were often mentioned on social media by Chicago residents.

Meanwhile, the White House page displaying President Obama and Mrs. Obama overlooking the Chicago skyline as they hug one another is enough to make fans of the Obama family cry at the thought of a “Farewell Address to the American people” at night on January 10 in Chicago. Those who can’t make it to the McCormick Place to snag free tickets for Mr. Obama’s farewell speech can watch it live on the government’s website.

President Obama’s farewell speech should provide hints toward his future plans after his presidency ends and President-elect Trump prepares to be sworn into office as President Trump. Mr. Obama provided an email about his upcoming farewell address, which touched on President George Washington in 1796 setting a precedent for a peaceful transfer of power during his own farewell address. Mr. Obama wrote that he aims to do the same with his farewell address to the world.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

SueDB

Re: President Obama's Farewell Speech, Jan 10 2016, Chicago

Post by SueDB »

Shouldn't it be Jan 2017?
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Re: President Obama's Farewell Speech, Jan 10 2016, Chicago

Post by Addie »

Fixed. Thank you.
SueDB wrote:Shouldn't it be Jan 2017?
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Re: President Obama's Farewell Speech, Jan 10 2017, Chicago

Post by Addie »

Chicago Sun-Times
Obama fans in line as early as 4:30 a.m. for speech tickets

The line for tickets snaked through the east building of McCormick Place, out into the frigid cold and back into the convention center’s western building.

By 9 a.m., McCormick Place officials were telling those still waiting in line outside that it was unlikely they’d get a ticket. Despite the warning, hundreds remained outside. An hour later, those already inside were still receiving tickets, according to McCormick Place spokeswoman Cynthia McCafferty.

Foot and vehicle traffic was dense throughout much of the South Loop and Bronzeville throughout the morning as many late arrivers searched for a place to park or get in line.

Well before 7 a.m., Chicago Police were warning people away from McCormick Place, saying the lines were too long, and that the tickets already spoken for.

CPD on its Facebook page wrote: “Anyone hoping to receive a ticket this morning to President Obama’s farewell address at McCormick Place who is NOT already on property will not be receiving a ticket. Save yourself from the frigid temperatures as a large crowd is already in line.”

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

When Ike gave his prophetic farewell speech we did not expect to hear much from him again, and as far as I can tell that turned out to be the case.

I cannot imagine President Obama retreating into silence after giving his farewell speech. He will be gracious, conscious of the import of a former president speaking out, cautious, and eloquent, but he will be heard must be heard.

Addie

Post by Addie »

tek

Post by tek »

I watched some parts of it, ms.tek watched the whole thing..

The contrast with Trump's press conference today was, um, stark.
There's no way back
from there to here

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

I re-formatted and printed it nice on good paper and read it today. It was just as good as I thought on hearing it. Better.

The thing is built like an automatic transmission; hundreds of well-designed moving parts all working together perfectly.

Man I'm going to miss this president. :cry:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie »

I cried like a baby :crying:
RoadScholar wrote:Man I'm going to miss this president. :cry:

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg »

It was really remarkable. To think we've traded this truly genuine, earnest and thoughtful man for a buffoon with the world's worst comb-over.
"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

mighty dawg wrote:It was really remarkable. To think we've traded this truly classy, gracious, genuine, earnest and thoughtful man for a buffoon with the world's worst comb-over.
FIFY
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Making me cry.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Just a note (I cannot link behind registration wall, but also in German) that our center-conservative press, the Neue Zürcher Zeitung NZZ, along with the review of Barack Obamas presidency and farewell speech, run a separate article on Michelle Obama in the White House, glowing of praise. Declaring her the most stunning FLOTUS since Jacqueline Kennedy!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The NZZ included in their short image gallery this photo of Airforce One waiting for the last journey of the Obamas from Chickago to the WH:

Return to “President & Executive Branch”