Senator Warren Has Some Serious Class

maydijo

Re: Senator Warren Has Some Serious Class

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:59 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm
maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 pm
You do realise the irony in telling me that I shouldn't talk about this while telling me that the problem with Germans in the war was that too many of them stayed silent . . . .
I told you to do nothing. My words were, if I recall, "You should be encouraged to post whatever you feel."

I'll stand by that.

I only point out that actions have consequences.
Yep, and me talking about the wrongness of cultural appropriation will be the final push Trump needs to get over the edge in the midterms!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Reality Check wrote:
maydijo wrote:
You do realise the irony in telling me that I shouldn't talk about this while telling me that the problem with Germans in the war was that too many of them stayed silent . . . .
Yep, I am sure the Democrats are going to start crapping on the Constitution and putting children in cages any minute if we don't take every opportunity to criticize them.

PS: As I have said before my criticism of the Cherokee Nation is that they went out of their way to criticize Warren while giving Trump and the Republicans a pass on their blatant racism in the same statement.
Yep, and me criticising the past actions of a single Democratic senator will lead to the genocide of entire groups of people.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm taking a break for a few days - at least.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Dan1100

Re: Ms Warren Has Some Serious Class

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 pm
Reality Check wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Warren never claimed to be a member of any tribe or nation. She never gained any competitive advantage to gain a position. I will tell you what I think the Cherokee's can do with their statement but that's my own opinion.
That's factually inaccurate. In the past she referred to herself as Cherokee in a cookbook; she has also referred to herself as Cherokee or Delaware at various times. She has never gained an advantage by doing so but again,that's irrelevant. For me the issue is: Who gets to determine membership in a community?

You have your opinion on what the Cherokees can do with their statement and that is an opinion I'd like to hear. I actually quite like it when people point out flaws in my thinking. I just get annoyed when people tell me I shouldn't speak because it might make the other side happy. Screw them. I'm not going to live my life that way.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm
maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 pm
Reality Check wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Warren never claimed to be a member of any tribe or nation. She never gained any competitive advantage to gain a position. I will tell you what I think the Cherokee's can do with their statement but that's my own opinion.
That's factually inaccurate. In the past she referred to herself as Cherokee in a cookbook; she has also referred to herself as Cherokee or Delaware at various times. She has never gained an advantage by doing so but again,that's irrelevant. For me the issue is: Who gets to determine membership in a community?

You have your opinion on what the Cherokees can do with their statement and that is an opinion I'd like to hear. I actually quite like it when people point out flaws in my thinking. I just get annoyed when people tell me I shouldn't speak because it might make the other side happy. Screw them. I'm not going to live my life that way.
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Hidden Content
Thanks Dan. That is quite helpful. :clap:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Reality Check wrote:
maydijo wrote:
Yep, I am sure the Democrats are going to start crapping on the Constitution and putting children in cages any minute if we don't take every opportunity to criticize them.

PS: As I have said before my criticism of the Cherokee Nation is that they went out of their way to criticize Warren while giving Trump and the Republicans a pass on their blatant racism in the same statement.
Yep, and me criticising the past actions of a single Democratic senator will lead to the genocide of entire groups of people.
It adds up, and you know it. Especially since her past "actions" are intensely not relevant to tribal autonomy.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 pm
maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Reality Check wrote:

It adds up, and you know it. Especially since her past "actions" are intensely not relevant to tribal autonomy.
Oh, and here I thought a bit of counter-hyperbole might bring you to your senses. Nope. You've heard it here first folk, the next Holocaust is on my head!

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm
Hidden Content
The Eastern Band would like a word with you (Ashley Collman, Business Insider):

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians issued a statement largely supporting Sen. Elizabeth Warren's recent DNA test to confirm her Native American ancestry — breaking with another tribe that called the move "inappropriate and wrong."

Eastern Band Principal Chief Richard Sneed said in a statement to Business Insider on Tuesday that while they "strongly condemn" people who try to pass off distant Native ancestry as their race, they don't believe that Warren has appropriated their culture.

Maybe they're "Uncle Tom injuns", maybe they have a different opinion.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 pm

And that's their right, and as I've said all along, this is a discussion that needs to be had.

But I'm still pissed off about you blaming me for the next Holocaust, so excuse me if I choose to believe you're not genuinely interested in having that conversation.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm blaming every single person that is distracting from the purpose of stopping trump and the republicans. I'll stand by that, too.

This isn't about cultural mis-appropriation any longer and the sooner you figure that out the less offense you'll take when people call you out for derailing the attempt to get hate out of congress.

Not one single thing Senator Warren has done is cultural mis-appropriation or hateful towards any Native American tribe.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm
I'm blaming every single person that is distracting from the purpose of stopping trump and the republicans. I'll stand by that, too.
Yep. That, right there, is why I think talking with you about this is a giant waste of my time. I've got better things to do.
John Thomas8 wrote:
This isn't about cultural mis-appropriation any longer and the sooner you figure that out the less offense you'll take when people call you out for derailing the attempt to get hate out of congress.
I disagree. One group of Cherokee saying she hasn't done anything wrong does not negate the other voices that say she has, or she may have. And I take strong offense to the idea that I'm derailing the attempt to get hate out of congress. That is a ludicrous thing to say.

Not one single thing Senator Warren has done is cultural mis-appropriation or hateful towards any Native American tribe.
[/quote]

In your opinion. Again, one group of Cherokee saying she hasn't done anything wrong does not negate the other voices that say she has.

At any rate you are far too irrational and angry for me to continue to have this discussion with you.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm
John Thomas8 wrote:
Yep. That, right there, is why I think talking with you about this is a giant waste of my time. I've got better things to do.
John Thomas8 wrote:
I disagree. One group of Cherokee saying she hasn't done anything wrong does not negate the other voices that say she has, or she may have. And I take strong offense to the idea that I'm derailing the attempt to get hate out of congress. That is a ludicrous thing to say.

In your opinion. Again, one group of Cherokee saying she hasn't done anything wrong does not negate the other voices that say she has.

At any rate you are far too irrational and angry for me to continue to have this discussion with you.
[/quote]
Hidden Content

-George Takei

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

maydijo wrote:
:snippity:
I know you directed that at JohnThomas8 but this might be a good time to quote my signature:

I applaud the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians for issuing a statement that struck the right tone.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm not angry, not at anyone here. That would be irrational.

Here, I'm mad that the NFL games aren't going the way I think they will. Sad my music posts don't generate any traffic.

What I am angry about, as someone who's been shot at on 3 continents for this country, is the abject stupidity in use to counter the morally bankrupt assholes running the country into the ground.

It's SO intelligent to feed the "Pocahontas" babbling by the great orange fucknut. Just awesome.

Have at it. Take her down, run the single senator that stood up for banking customers out of the senate. Just remember that actions have consequences.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 pm
I'm not angry, not at anyone here. That would be irrational.

Here, I'm mad that the NFL games aren't going the way I think they will. Sad my music posts don't generate any traffic.

What I am angry about, as someone who's been shot at on 3 continents for this country, is the abject stupidity in use to counter the morally bankrupt assholes running the country into the ground.

It's SO intelligent to feed the "Pocahontas" babbling by the great orange fucknut. Just awesome.

Have at it. Take her down, run the single senator that stood up for banking customers out of the senate. Just remember that actions have consequences.
And there you go again with your anger. I am not taking anyone down. I am expressing my discomfort with her past actions. The rest is your projection, pure and simple.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm
maydijo wrote:

I know you directed that at JohnThomas8 but this might be a good time to quote my signature:

Save your outrage for the appropriate sources. I don't deserve it; I have not said a single thing to justify the amount of vitriol aimed towards me in this post.

Edited to correct the quotes. Also to add: I have repeatedly said "to the extent that she has" misappropriated culture or misrepresented herself - If you don't think she has, then "the extent" is exactly 0. So what is there to get angry about? We are essentially arguing over a difference in opinion. I think she has; you think she hasn't. Neither one of us is going to change the other person's mind, and everyone has made it quite clear that they don't wish to debate the broader issues of culture and identity, so why, exactly, are we wasting our time here?

Edited to apologise for the quote thing. I thought I'd fixed it. I haven't. I give up; it's really not worth my time.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

-George Takei

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 pm
maydijo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Hidden Content

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Isn't this an actual problem, rather than the made up one about Senator Warren:

[img=

Which one does more damage?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm

The right-wingers claimed Warren claimed to be Cherokee. She claimed a small amount of Cherokee in her genes, and she was right. Never to be an actual tribal member or citizen. But the Rabid Right is so adept at foisting a false narrative that the Tribe responded not so much to her as to the fiction and testily argued that a bit of DNA doesn’t make one a member of the tribe, which Warren never claimed to be anyway.

The over-sensitive on the Left, out of respect for the self-determination of ethnic identities, expressed disdain for Warren, adding to the ammunition of the Right. This was amply demonstrated by the headlines in the MSM today along the lines of “Warren catches flack from both left and right over DNA test,” and off to the races.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally agree that Warren shouldn’t have done what she never did.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Don’t get me wrong, I totally agree that Warren shouldn’t have done what she never did.
:fivestars:

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm
:fivestars:
Ya, I got five more stars for that.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”