Donald's Brand is in Freefall -- Trump Doral in Steep Decline -- Fahrenthold WaPo

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Donald's Brand is in Freefall -- Trump Doral in Steep Decline -- Fahrenthold WaPo

Post by Orlylicious » Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 am

David Fahrenthold rocks. Huge longform in WaPo, now the Doral in Miami is in big trouble (there's a long story about it, he got it for a song but once again fuc*ed it up). This story is extensive, this is just the beginning of it:
Trump’s prized Doral resort is in steep decline, according to company documents, showing his business problems are mounting
By David A. Fahrenthold and Jonathan O'Connell May 15 at 6:00 AM

Late last year, in a Miami conference room, a consultant for President Trump’s company said business at his prized 643-room Doral resort was in sharp decline. At Doral, which Trump has listed in federal disclosures as his biggest moneymaker hotel, room rates, banquets, golf and overall revenue were all down since 2015. In two years, the resort’s net operating income — a key figure, representing the amount left over after expenses are paid — had fallen by 69 percent.

Even in a vigorous economy, the property was missing the Trump Organization’s internal business targets; for instance, the club expected to take in $85 million in revenue in 2017 but took in just $75 million. “They are severely underperforming” other resorts in the area, tax consultant Jessica Vachiratevanurak told a Miami-Dade County official in a bid to lower the property’s tax bill. The reason, she said: “There is some negative connotation that is associated with the brand.”
The troubles at Trump Doral — detailed here for the first time, based on documents and video obtained under Florida’s public-records law — suggest the Trump Organization’s problems are bigger than previously known. This is also the first known case in which a Trump Organization representative has publicly acknowledged the president’s name has hurt business.

The decline at Doral is especially significant because the resort had seemed better insulated from political backlash than other Trump properties, protected by its place in golf’s history, by its recent renovations, and by its location in a booming state that Trump won in 2016. It wasn’t.
But until now, Doral’s condition remained largely unknown outside the Trump Organization. Last year, Eric Trump said it was succeeding. “The Doral is on fire,” he told a reporter in June. :liar:

The 57-year-old, 650-acre resort is set among business parks and homes in an inland area near the Miami airport. Trump bought it in 2012 for a reported $150 million. He borrowed $125 million from Deutsche Bank and planned $250 million in renovations. He vowed on Twitter that “within two years it will be the best resort in the country.”

Its appeal was grounded in Florida weather and golf history: The legendary “Blue Monster” course had hosted a prominent PGA Tour event for more than 50 years running. In 2013, Trump caught a huge break: Tiger Woods won the Doral tournament on national television. Now, Trump would welcome tourists who wanted to play where Tiger did.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 56100bc719

How long before Donald knocks Jeff Bezos again and blames him for his own failures? Projection, baby!
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Gregg

Re: Donald's Brand is in Freefall -- Trump Doral in Steep Decline

Post by Gregg » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 am

In 2016, Cadillac — the main sponsor of Doral’s big tournament — pulled out.

“The problem that the tour had was that we couldn’t find a replacement for Cadillac. So we had to move the tournament,” Butch Buchholz, who served as chairman of the golf tournament, called the World Golf Championships, said in an interview this year. “If they could have found a sponsor, they would — I believe — still be playing there.”

They didn’t find another sponsor. The tournament moved to Mexico.
I fell out of the chair laughing at that.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sam the Centipede

Re: Donald's Brand is in Freefall -- Trump Doral in Steep Decline -- Fahrenthold WaPo

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 am

:rotflmao: doesn't karma—the paramilitary wing of irony—gladden any Fogboner's heart any warm up the mirth muscles? :rotflmao:

Notorial Dissent

Re: Donald's Brand is in Freefall -- Trump Doral in Steep Decline -- Fahrenthold WaPo

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 am
:rotflmao: doesn't karma—the paramilitary wing of irony—gladden any Fogboner's heart any warm up the mirth muscles? :rotflmao:
I like that, will have to steal that for use elsewhere. :like:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 am

I believe the phrase from Eric...…" Last year, Eric Trump said it was succeeding. “The Doral is on fire,” he told a reporter in June. " was actually

Last year, Eric Trump said it was succeeding. “The Doral is a dumpster fire,” he told a reporter in June.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 am

How is his "brand" in free fall when he controls the senate and SCOTUS? When he reaps financial benefits and ignores or fights subpoenas? When he packs the courts with racists, sexists and lgbt opponents? Looks to me like he's winning.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 am

Lani wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 am
How is his "brand" in free fall when he controls the senate and SCOTUS? When he reaps financial benefits and ignores or fights subpoenas? When he packs the courts with racists, sexists and lgbt opponents? Looks to me like he's winning.
True dat. His financial problems are easily solved by letting American troops be hired by the highest bidder. What the Ruler of Hessen could do for the British, Donald the Ist can do that for Saudi-Arabia and Israel (whom the American taxpayer will give the money needed.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 am

The only problem is that if you read more, the Trump International in Washington really is booming, what with all the grift from foreign governments and corporate types who want to get cozy with the Administration.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

This writer knows more about the Trump finances than Donald himself.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am

67% decline

Whoa.

That's not good.

As much as I hate Trump, that's gotta be tough on his employees.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 am
The only problem is that if you read more, the Trump International in Washington really is booming, what with all the grift from foreign governments and corporate types who want to get cozy with the Administration.
This, plus even though the article mentions that

But the statistics provided by the company’s consultants to Miami-Dade County — which are legally required to be accurate — showed competing resorts in the same region of Florida still outperformed the Trump resort in the key metrics of room occupancy and average room rate.
we all know that Donald Trump is trying to lower his tax bill by doing this, and do we really expect him to be honest?

Also, note the connection between Tiger Woods winning at Doral and Donald Trump.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Chilidog wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am
I wouldn't have anything to do with that sleazeball. To be employed by a person or company is to directly or indirectly support that endeavor. I'd rather not. I'm sure Trump provides the highest pay, best health insurance and most benefits of anyone in the cities where he operates.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I would imagine the PGA has been quite pleased with the move from Doral CC to Mexico City. They have have had big name winners, Dustin Johnson twice and Phil Mikelson once, and it fits nicely in the schedule between the west coast and the Florida swings on the tour.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am
Chilidog wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am
I wouldn't have anything to do with that sleazeball. To be employed by a person or company is to directly or indirectly support that endeavor. I'd rather not. I'm sure Trump provides the highest pay, best health insurance and most benefits of anyone in the cities where he operates.

Well, the white folks, maybe, but the illegals and other colored folk take what he gives them, and like it.

Seriously, there was just a story about the waiters working off the clock unless the dining room was open etc....
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

As notorious cheap and pinch penny as The Donald was/is, I can't imagine working for him in a service capacity could be anything much better than indentured servitude without the perks.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri May 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm
As notorious cheap and pinch penny as The Donald was/is, I can't imagine working for him in a service capacity could be anything much better than indentured servitude without the perks.
It's why he won't hire Americans - they will up and quit H1-B visa holders.... well, they are stuck working for him or going home (or going off grid). I bet he also holds their passports so they can't go home.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Return to “President & Executive Branch”