Presidential Approval Polls 45: 2017-2020

Addie

Presidential Approval Polls 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

Post by Addie »

Political Wire: Trump’s Approval Rating Collapses

A new Gallup poll finds Congress’ job approval rating is at just 15%, the lowest of the 116th Congress, and President Trump’s job approval rating has fallen to 39% — down seven percentage points from before the election.

In contrast, nearly two-thirds of Americans approve of the way Joe Biden is handling his presidential transition.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

The calm is definitely appreciated.

I’m really hoping my heart, GIT, and sanity all last for the next month. Because I’m suffering on all three fronts right now.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu
kate520

Post by kate520 »

:bighug:
Hang in. It’s almost over.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm with you, Gupwalla. Do my best to stay busy. Turn off the news and watch junk tv instead. Currently cleaning out my closets. Listing clothes on craigslist for $1, each or the whole damn box. Just want to get things in the hands of people who need them or will enjoy them.

And I watch Biden's briefings. They are very calming for me. I'm going to watch the whole video of his briefing later today. (Job keeps getting in the way.)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters: Majority of Americans want Trump removed immediately after U.S. Capitol violence - Reuters/Ipsos poll

(Reuters) - Fifty-seven percent of Americans want Republican President Donald Trump to be immediately removed from office after he encouraged a protest this week that escalated into a deadly riot inside the U.S. Capitol, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Most of them were Democrats, however, with Republicans apparently much more supportive of Trump serving out the final days of his term, which ends on Jan. 20.

The national public opinion survey, conducted Thursday and Friday, also showed that seven out of 10 of those who voted for Trump in November opposed the action of the hardcore supporters who broke into the Capitol while lawmakers were meeting to certify the election victory of Democrat Joe Biden.

Nearly 70% of Americans surveyed also said they disapprove of Trump’s actions in the run-up to Wednesday’s assault. At a rally earlier in the day, Trump had exhorted thousands of his followers to march to the Capitol.

The chaos on Capitol Hill, in which a police officer and four others died, has been widely condemned by both Democrats and Republicans.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Post by Addie »

ABC News: After Capitol siege, majority of Americans say Trump should be removed from office before term ends

A majority of the country believes President Donald Trump should be removed before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20 and two-thirds hold him accountable for the violent insurrection on Capitol Hill, according to an ABC News/Ipsos poll released Sunday.

In the new survey, which was conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' Knowledge Panel, 56% of Americans think the sitting commander-in-chief should be removed from office before the official transfer of power in less than two weeks, while 43% say he should not. Among those who say Trump should not be removed immediately, nearly half (45%) nevertheless say his actions this week were wrong.

Ousting the current president before his term expires splits Americans along partisan lines, with 94% of Democrats and only 13% of Republicans supporting the move. A majority of independents -- 58% -- also back removing him.

The end of Trump's turbulent tenure has been marred by chaos. Earlier this week, throngs of pro-Trump loyalists, spurred by the outgoing president at his "Save America Rally," besieged the U.S. Capitol complex -- overpowering police blockades, breaking windows and ransacking the halls and offices. ...

Sixty-seven percent of Americans lay blame squarely at Trump's feet for the Wednesday riot and the unprecedented breach that led to the death of five, including a Capitol police officer who succumbed to injuries suffered during the attack. This includes 52% who believe he shoulders a great deal of the responsibility. Only 15% of those polled say that he bears none of the blame.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Quinnipiac University: January 11, 2021 - 74% Of Voters Say Democracy In The U.S. Is Under Threat, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; 52% Say President Trump Should Be Removed From Office

Following last week's mob attack on the U.S. Capitol during a joint session of Congress to formally certify Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 presidential election, nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of voters say democracy in the United States is under threat, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University national poll of registered voters released today. Just 21 percent of voters say that democracy in the United States is alive and well.

"When it comes to whether American democracy is under threat, both Republicans and Democrats see a raging five-alarm fire, but clearly disagree on who started it," said Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy. ...

A majority of voters, 56 percent, say they hold President Trump responsible for the storming of the U.S. Capitol, while 42 percent say they do not hold him responsible.

A slight majority, 52 - 45 percent, say President Trump should be removed from office. Voters also say 53 - 43 percent that he should resign as president.

"A majority of Americans hold President Trump responsible for the chaos at the Capitol, and a slight majority believe that he should be removed from office," added Malloy.

President Trump has a negative 33 - 60 percent job approval rating, which is a substantial drop from the negative 44 - 51 percent rating he received in December of 2020.

The president's job approval rating today ties his all-time low, which he received in August of 2017.

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of all this winning that Trump declared he would accomplish if he were president.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Atticus Finch wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:25 pm I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of all this winning that Trump declared he would accomplish if he were president.
He also said there would be carnage. He's 0-1. Or is it 1-0?

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Trump's approval rating craters in final days

After four years of stability, the outgoing president’s poll numbers have reached new lows following last week’s Capitol insurrection.

Tarnished by last week’s riot at the Capitol, Donald Trump is ending his presidency with his lowest-ever poll numbers.

A new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll pegs Trump’s approval at just 34 percent, the lowest in four years of tracking opinions of the president’s job performance. More than six in 10 voters — 63 percent — disapprove.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Addie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am
Politico: Trump's approval rating craters in final days

After four years of stability, the outgoing president’s poll numbers have reached new lows following last week’s Capitol insurrection.

Tarnished by last week’s riot at the Capitol, Donald Trump is ending his presidency with his lowest-ever poll numbers.

A new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll pegs Trump’s approval at just 34 percent, the lowest in four years of tracking opinions of the president’s job performance. More than six in 10 voters — 63 percent — disapprove.
It should be 9 in 10, taking out the fringe.

jmj

Post by jmj »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 am
Addie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am A new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll pegs Trump’s approval at just 34 percent, the lowest in four years of tracking opinions of the president’s job performance. More than six in 10 voters — 63 percent — disapprove.
It's absolutely insane that 34% of Americans still approve of this grotesque man.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jmj wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 am
Addie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am A new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll pegs Trump’s approval at just 34 percent, the lowest in four years of tracking opinions of the president’s job performance. More than six in 10 voters — 63 percent — disapprove.
It's absolutely insane that 34% of Americans still approve of this grotesque man.
All along, that’s bothered me a lot more than the 2xIMPOTUS.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

I know. But 34% is a pretty big drop from the steady 40% or so. It's a sign that people are waking up, and that's a good thing.

Am I being detained?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

NotaPerson wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am
I know. But 34% is a pretty big drop from the steady 40% or so. It's a sign that people are waking up, and that's a good thing.
True. I think it will continue to go down. The more we find out about what happened on Jan 6, I am convinced the more Trump, and probably many of his Congressional supporters, will lose support.

I understand why Chris Wray is keeping a low profile. But I will expect to start hearing more from him and also from higher ups in the DOJ once Biden is inaugurated and they don't have to worry about getting fired for being truthful.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Addie

Post by Addie »

Pew Research: Biden Begins Presidency With Positive Ratings; Trump Departs With Lowest-Ever Job Mark

As Joe Biden prepares to take office just days after a deadly riot inside the U.S. Capitol, 64% of voters express a positive opinion of his conduct since he won the November election. Majorities also approve of Biden’s Cabinet selections and how he has explained his plans and policies for the future.

Donald Trump is leaving the White House with the lowest job approval of his presidency (29%) and increasingly negative ratings for his post-election conduct. The share of voters who rate Trump’s conduct since the election as only fair or poor has risen from 68% in November to 76%, with virtually all of the increase coming in his “poor” ratings (62% now, 54% then).

Trump voters, in particular, have grown more critical of their candidate’s post-election conduct. The share of his supporters who describe his conduct as poor has doubled over the past two months, from 10% to 20%.

The new survey by Pew Research Center, conducted Jan. 8-12 among 5,360 U.S. adults, including 4,040 who say they voted in the presidential election, finds that a sizable majority of Americans do not want Trump to remain a major political figure after he leaves office. About two-thirds (68%) say Trump should not continue to be a major national political figure for many years to come; just 29% say he should remain a major figure in U.S. politics.
Adding:
Vox: New poll shows Trump’s support dropping sharply among Republicans

Many Republicans are fed up with Trump as impeachment looms.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Post-ABC poll: Overwhelming opposition to Capitol attacks, majority support for preventing Trump from serving again

The vast majority of Americans say they oppose the actions of the rioters who stormed and ransacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, while smaller majorities say President Trump bears responsibility for the attack and that he should be removed from office and disqualified from serving again, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Even as the findings are sharply partisan, over half of Americans — and 1 in 8 Republicans — say Trump should be criminally charged for his role in the attacks.

The president also comes in for broad criticism over his repeated and baseless assertions that the November election was rigged and tainted by widespread fraud. By a margin of more than 2 to 1, Americans say the president has acted irresponsibly in his statements and actions since the election. ...

Nonetheless, the president continues to enjoy strong support from Republicans, among whom a clear majority agree with his false claims about what happened in November, oppose his removal from office and believe Republican elected officials should continue to follow his lead in the future.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybe Democrats shouldn't rush for a Senate trial until more information comes out. The worse it is, the worse Trump's approval numbers and the more likely the Senate will be willing to convict and then vote for banning him from running for office again. I don't think his approval rating will get higher over time, it can only get lower.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:33 pm Maybe Democrats shouldn't rush for a Senate trial until more information comes out. The worse it is, the worse Trump's approval numbers and the more likely the Senate will be willing to convict and then vote for banning him from running for office again. I don't think his approval rating will get higher over time, it can only get lower.
Yes, I agree. We want Trump banned from federal office for all eternity. Putting off the trial and vote a bit may allow this to happen. McConnell seems to want to kick Trump to the curb and separate him from the GOP. The best way forward for McConnell may be to let the Democratic Senate handle the trial (so it can be blamed on the Democrats), but give them enough votes to succeed. He can then try to stitch the GOP back together again. He will lose forever the support of the extremists. He may decide that excising the extremists from the GOP is a good thing no matter how painful.

ETA: Trump will then be available as a scapegoat.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”