Ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Sam the Centipede

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by Sam the Centipede »

:fingerwag: We should respect the brave decision of Larrina – or will it be Larretta? – to transition to become a woman.

It must be difficult trying to change species at his time of life. Very few skunks manage it well.
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Fuck, he’s running.
When will we ever bid rid of shits like Arpaio & Joe Walsh?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hm. His website just bounces to Google for me,

https://www.arpaioforsheriff.com/
HTTP Response Header
Name Value
HTTP/1.1 302 Found (redirect)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 01:49:01 GMT
Server: Apache
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
:think:
GreatGrey wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 pm Fuck, he’s running.

https:// twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1165757883985776641
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Hee...

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Addie

Post by Addie »

HuffPo: Controversial Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Announces He’s Running Again

Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt and later pardoned by President Donald Trump.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Give it up, old man.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

We had this happen in my county. Disgusted voters kicked out the asshole sheriff, who had earned the disdain of the FBI and nearly every law enforcement agency in the state for his overreach during the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Then his successor retired, he ran for sheriff again, and won.

Name familiarity really increases the odds of a win in political races. Voters who know nothing about the candidates tend to pick the name that's most familiar to them. Doubtless Arpaio is counting on that, just as our sheriff did.
I've heard this bull before.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

https:// twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1165757883985776641
His retirement funds must be running low :lol:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:

Anyone seriously think he will still be in the race on election night?
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am Anyone seriously think he will still be in the race on election night?
If the taxpayers don't give a s... about having their tax dollars wasted, sure he has a chance. Having said that, I'm beginning to think the majority of voters are clueless about the topics and candidates on the ballot.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

ZekeB wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am
p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am Anyone seriously think he will still be in the race on election night?
If the taxpayers don't give a s... about having their tax dollars wasted, sure he has a chance. Having said that, I'm beginning to think the majority of voters are clueless about the topics and candidates on the ballot.
I don't disagree with your take on the voters -- I'm suggesting that his intent in announcing is to raise money to enrich his lifestyle, not to actually run, or win.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Arpaio needs to keep his name in the news. His cases with Klayman representing him have about died. I will be surprised if he gets out of the primary.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 am Arpaio needs to keep his name in the news. His cases with Klayman representing him have about died. I will be surprised if he gets out of the primary.
:like: He's a huge media whore.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

My mama used to say some folks are so evil even the devil doesn't want them. Arpaio is 87 years old. He will die eventually. He wasn't the healthiest looking guy so I'm surprised he's lived this long. Maybe mama was right.

Joe Walsh could serve an important function if he can get enough $$ to fight to get on some primary ballots. He's as big of an asshole as Trump, he might be able to do some damage.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

How is the new Sheriff doing? I recall we have Fogbowzers there or nearby. One story said Penzone has kept basically the same policies (except no tent city), for example embedding ICE agents.

Here's what Birfer Joe says, so it must be opposite:
In his announcement, Arpaio framed Penzone's first term in office as "proven to be a time of lost opportunities to continue the kind of tough policing this county needs" while promising to "use my position to restore pride to our law enforcement ranks, not only here, in the fourth-largest county in America, but across the country.”

I keep DocC in my Protopage because the first (and last) article title always warms my heart: :lovestruck:

CCP Disbanded.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar: Young Joe Biden! The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Orlylicious wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm How is the new Sheriff doing? I recall we have Fogbowzers there or nearby. One story said Penzone has kept basically the same policies (except no tent city), for example embedding ICE agents.

Here's what Birfer Joe says, so it must be opposite:
In his announcement, Arpaio framed Penzone's first term in office as "proven to be a time of lost opportunities to continue the kind of tough policing this county needs" while promising to "use my position to restore pride to our law enforcement ranks, not only here, in the fourth-largest county in America, but across the country.”
Besides Tent City, I think he dumped a bunch of the useless military equipment that Arpaio had acquired so he could look tough (and plaster his name alk over them). The new sheriff thought it a waste of money and only existed for PR and not actual law enforcement.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
bob

Post by bob »

Wash. Ex.: Flake donates to Democrat running for reelection against 'Sheriff Joe' Arpaio:
Former Republican Sen. Jeff Flake contributed to the Democratic sheriff of Maricopa County in Arizona. Paul Penzone, 52, is facing a challenge from former sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Flake tweeted a photo of a check he sent to Penzone's campaign for $100 and he wrote "County over Party" on the memo line. Penzone, who won his seat in 2016, defeated Arpaio in that race after losing to him in 2012.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Northland10 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:12 pm This is not Larry's best week. The case was dismissed for failure to state a claim.

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... 8cv2387-16

As for the anti-SLAPP motion, it was denied, though I have not read the full dismissal yet.
For the reasons outlined below, the court grants Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss for failure to state a claim and denies Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss Pursuant to the D.C. Anti-SLAPP Act.
In regards to the above quote; wash, rinse, repeat, and call the case Arpaio v Zucker. This one was also was denied due to failure to state a claim and the anti-slapp motion was denied.

And yes, I have not had time to read the whole thing yet.

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... 8cv2894-56

ETA, this case had GIL's "friend" Lamberth.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
bob

Post by bob »

Northland10 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:30 pmThis one was also was denied due to failure to state a claim and the anti-slapp motion was denied.

And yes, I have not had time to read the whole thing yet.

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... 8cv2894-56

ETA, this case had GIL's "friend" Lamberth.
Lamberth ruled that CNN's statements were substantially true (and thus not defamation); Rolling Stone's and HuffPo's, however, were not. But Klayman Arpaio failed to allege actual malice (as Arpaio is a public figure), so dismissed.

Lamberth spends the last page scolding the media (and the D.C. Cir. on the page prior); that will probably keep Klayman warm at night.

Adding: THR: CNN, HuffPost and Rolling Stone Beat Joe Arpaio Libel Lawsuit.
bob

Post by bob »

Ariz. Rep.: Judge dismisses Joe Arpaio's lawsuit against CNN, HuffPost, Rolling Stone:
U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth said in his opinion Thursday that Arpaio failed to prove malice.
D.D.C. wrote:The burden of putting forward articulate facts of actual malice is a difficult one to meet, especially when discovery is not yet available to the parties . . . . But without this safeguard, the threat of lawsuits would chill our precious First Amendment rights to freely engage in political discourse.
Arpaio's lawyer, Larry Klayman, stated in a news release that they plan to amend and try to move forward with the lawsuit.
Klayman wrote:Judge Lamberth is one of the few courageous and intellectually honest judges on the federal bench today . . . . I am reasonably certain, based on the law, that he will allow Sheriff Arpaio to amend the complaint, in order that this case can move forward to discovery and a jury trial.
:roll:
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:yankyank:
bob

Post by bob »

Arpaio was (surprise!) a guest on Klayman's show:

...I'll try to listen, but the (presumed) Grumpy Joe routine is so tired at this point.
Whip

Post by Whip »

The video thumbnail always cracks me up because you know he thinks he looks awesome.
bob

Post by bob »

bob wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:00 pm...I'll try to listen, but the (presumed) Grumpy Joe routine is so tired at this point.
I listened:

1. Klayman says that Mueller "will be tried" (in Klayman's fake court) "in the spring." :yankyank:

2. Ben Stein is sounds like an old FOX-watching kook.

3. For Stern: Klayman signs off with "see you in L.A." :think:

P.S.: Send money.
bob

Post by bob »

"Huge."

Return to “General Politics”