Roy Moore - FORMER AL Supreme Court Chief Justice

mimi

Roy Moore - FORMER AL Supreme Court Chief Justice

Post by mimi » Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Chief Justice: Pre-K money should go to courts

by Tim Lockette

[/break1]com]tlockette@annistonstar.com

May 24, 2013

Money that was set aside to expand Alabama's pre-kindergarten program should have gone to the court system instead, Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore said Friday.

"They're giving $9.4 million to a program that didn't exist the last time I was chief justice," Moore said at a Calhoun-Cleburne County Bar Association luncheon at Anniston's Classic on Noble.

Speaking to a crowd that included several current and former judges, Moore said the court system is facing strain, as courthouses struggle to keep up with their caseload after years of shrinking budgets.

The 2014 budget recently passed by the Legislature would give the judicial branch $108.4 million in 2014, an increase of more than $5 million.[/break1]annistonstar.com/view/full_story/22701311/article-Chief-Justice--Pre-K-money-should-go-to-courts?instance=home_news]http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_s ... =home_news

I did not know that Roy Moore wrote this about gays:

But what people don't realize is how patently hateful and misguided Roy Moore is. In 2002, he issued a ruling in a lesbian custody case (D.H. vs H.H.) in which he said (bold print added by me),

"To disfavor practicing homosexuals in custody matters is not invidious discrimination, nor is it legislating personal morality. On the contrary, disfavoring practicing homosexuals in custody matters promotes the general welfare of the people of our State in accordance with our law, which is the duty of its public servants... The State carries the power of the sword, that is, the power to prohibit conduct with physical penalties, such as confinement and even execution. It must use that power to prevent the subversion of children toward this lifestyle, to not encourage a criminal lifestyle... Homosexual behavior is a ground for divorce, an act of sexual misconduct punishable as a crime in Alabama, a crime against nature, an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it. That is enough under the law to allow a court to consider such activity harmful to a child. To declare that homosexuality is harmful is not to make new law but to reaffirm the old; to say that it is not harmful is to experiment with people's lives, particularly the lives of children."It is frightening that in the 21st century the most powerful judge in the state would state that gay people should be confined and executed to protect children.

In March of 2002 I had letters printed in the Western Star and the Birmingham News. Their content is applicable today, just as it was then...more about that here:

[/break1]blogspot.com/2012/03/reminder-regarding-roy-moore.html]http://bessemeropinions.blogspot.com/20 ... moore.html

And it was that case that inspired this play:

Judge Roy Moore is Coming to Dinner

Judge Roy Moore is Coming to Dinner by Tom Wofford is a 2004 play about two gay men who decide to marry in California and return home to Alabama to tell their families. Laced throughout the performance are quotes from Moore's concurring opinion in D.H. vs. H.H.: the 2002 child custody dispute mentioned above. Judge Moore, though he had not seen the play, issued a statement condemning it as the "result of federal activism in our court system" and saying that same-sex marriage corrupts American society.[37][/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore#Judge_Roy_Moore_is_Coming_to_Dinner]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore# ... _to_Dinner

mmmirele

Roy Moore - AL Supreme Court Chief Justice

Post by mmmirele » Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 pm

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* I don't often say this, but: What an ignorant fool. And the people of Alabama who elected him a second time--you deserve him.
Edit: Why don't they ask Roy Moore to give back to the government the thousands upon thousands of dollars no doubt spent defending the washing machine-sized copy of the 10 Commandments he sneaked into the Supreme Court building? *rolls eyes*I swear, Alabama, you knew better than to elect this guy.../goes off to listen to some appropriate Neil Young.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 pm

EDIT: Moving this post from the Alabama Ballot Challenge topic to the Roy Moore topic.

Also adding the quote from RightWingWatch:

And though Moore has long been little more than a Religious Right activist clad in judicial robes, it was still kind of surprising to see the sitting Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court join someone like "Coach" Dave Daubenmire for a half-hour interview on Daubenmire's "News With Views" program.

In recent weeks, Daubenmire has demanded that President Obama admit that he is gay and ranted about men having "butt sex with other men," so of course he and Moore, who believes that Satan is out to destroy the institution of marriage, spent time complaining about the push for marriage equality and efforts by the government to promote things that contradict the laws of God, warning that once God's standards are abandoned, everything from sodomy to bestiality to incest will become acceptable:here:

[/break1]rightwingwatch.org/content/anti-gay-zealot-coach-dave-daubenmire-interviews-chief-justice-roy-moore]http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/a ... -roy-moore

Roy Moore gave an interview to 'Coach Dave' for 'News With Views'.

I can't listen to it right now. I might sample it later, but I can't listen to 35 minutes of that. Maybe 2 minutes.

From the youtube description:

Published on May 24, 2013

Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore discusses why the Constitution REQUIRES the acknowledgement of God and the myth of the "establishment clause" making public religious expression illegal.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Alabama's chief justice expects to lay off 150 employees after the state's new fiscal year starts Oct. 1 unless the court system gets more money than the Legislature appropriated."In the Constitution of Alabama, we are the only branch that is guaranteed reasonable and adequate funding, and we are not getting it," Chief Justice Roy Moore said in an interview Tuesday.On Monday, Republican Gov. Robert Bentley signed the $1.7 billion General Fund that the Legislature approved for non-education agencies for fiscal 2014. The budget is 0.4 percent larger than the current fiscal year's budget.The budget gives an increase to the court system that is second only to the $16.7 million increase for the prison system. The budget increases the judicial branch of government from $102.8 million this year to $108.4 million next year. Moore said the courts needed an additional $8.5 million on top of the $5.6 million increase to maintain services at their current level.more:[/break1]gadsdentimes.com/article/20130521/APN/1305210883]http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/201 ... 1305210883Maybe Moore should take a cut in pay?

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm

What can possibly be so much more expensive this year than last, that a budget increase of a little more than 5% is so low that he threatens to lay off 150 people, and needs another 8%?

Anticipating costs of defending another Ten Commandments lawsuit or what?

IncubusOrSuccubus

Post by IncubusOrSuccubus » Mon May 27, 2013 3:31 pm

This is the real sad thingThe budget gives an increase to the court system that is second only to the $16.7 million increase for the prison system

ProudObot

Post by ProudObot » Mon May 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Hmmmm. Wonder what the education budget will be? It's strange it wasn't mentioned but I'm sure the increase, if any, will be much less than the court or prison budgets. Gotta have your priorities straight, right?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Roy Moore is fighting for his judges and the judiciary in Alabama. I don't know if he can be faulted for that.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Roy Moore is fighting for his judges and the judiciary in Alabama. I don't know if he can be faulted for that.I don't - all across the country court systems are being squeezed and good judges are quitting to go into private practice due to low pay and long hours. It's a travesty and it makes people wait far longer than they should for justice.My only question was addressing why they needed a roughly 13% budget increase to provide the same services they are now, which is his claim. Were I a custodian of the budget, I'd question anyone that made such a claim, not just Roy Moore. If he said they needed the money because they need more judges and courtrooms, in order to provide the judicial services Alabama needs, I'd totally get and be OK with that.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Roy Moore is fighting for his judges and the judiciary in Alabama. I don't know if he can be faulted for that.He gets paid via taxes, no?Moore was also a notable opponent of a proposed amendment to the Alabama constitution in 2004. Known as Amendment 2, the proposed legislation would have removed wording from the state constitution that referred to poll taxes and required separate schools for "white and colored children," a practice already outlawed due to civil rights-era legislation. Moore and other opponents of the measure argued that the amendment's wording would have allowed federal judges to force the state to fund public school improvements with increased taxes. Voters in Alabama narrowly defeated the proposed amendment, with a margin of 1,850 votes out of 1.38 million cast.[25][/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moorehe only wants taxes to pay for the courts.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:28 am

Crossposted in the LGBT thread

I swear he's just begging to get thrown off the bench again.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... 9fee153a9e

Link to the 'order': http://media.al.com/news_impact/other/M ... judges.pdf

NOW THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED AND DIRECTED THAT:

To ensure the orderly administration of justice within the State of Alabama, to alleviate a situation adversely affecting the administration of justice within the State, and to harmonize the administration of justice between the Alabama judicial branch and the federal courts in Alabama:

Effective immediately, no Probate Judge of the State of Alabama nor any agent or employee of any Alabama Probate Judge shall issue or recognize a marriage license that is inconsistent with Article 1, Section 36.03, of the Alabama Constitution or § 30-1-19, Ala. Code 1975.

Should any Probate Judge of this state fail to follow the Constitution and statutes of Alabama as stated, it would be the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer of the State of Alabama, Governor Robert Bentley, in whom the Constitution vests "the supreme executive power of this state," Art. V, § 113, Ala. Const. 1901, to ensure the execution of the law. "The Governor shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed." Art. V, § 120, Ala. Const. 1901. "'If the governor's "supreme executive power" means anything, it means that when the governor makes a determination that the laws are not being faithfully executed, he can act using the legal means that are at his disposal.'" Tyson v. Jones, 60 So. 3d 831, 850 (Ala. 2010) (quoting Riley v. Cornerstone, 57 So. 3d 704, 733 (Ala. 2010)).

DONE on this 8th day of February, 2015.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:31 am

Now I feel more confident in predicting a rerun of his rock: The rest of the court can override him, and the Court of the Judiciary now has grounds to remove him.It is especially ironic that if a judge disobeys Moore, Moore is charging the governor with enforcing Moore's order.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:15 am

The Southern Poverty Law Center issued a statement:

Chief Justice Roy Moore -- who once before was kicked out of office for defying a federal court order -- is once again provoking a confrontation with the federal courts. The United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama -- like virtually every other court -- has ruled that Alabama's ban on same-sex marriages is unconstitutional.

To give the state ample opportunity to prevent the ruling from going into effect, the district court has stayed its order until Monday, February 9. The Court of Appeals and, so far, the Supreme Court of the United States has seen fit not to continue the stay. But, instead of respecting these rulings, the Chief Justice has decided to create a crisis in our state but telling the probate judges to ignore the ruling of the district court and threatening them with unspecified gubernatorial action. It's outrageous.

We urge the probate judges to follow the Constitution of the United States and issue marriage licenses when their offices open in the morning. Chief Justice Moore has no authority to tell them to do otherwise.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 am

After reading this post, I don't think Roy will mind at all being booted off the bench.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... ef_ju.html

Think about it. In 2011, the year before he ran and won the office of Chief Justice for the second time, Moore held a 20-hour a week gig at the non-profit that still counts Moore's wife Kayla as president.

The stated mission of that organization - the Foundation for Moral Law Inc. - is to "Educate the public and promote current litigation aimed at moral and religious issues," according to the organization's IRS forms. It exists to "restore the knowledge of God in law and government and to acknowledge and defend the truth that man is endowed with rights, not by our fellow man, but by God."

Which sounds an awful lot like what Moore is doing right now.

It's just not as lucrative these days. In 2011, the Foundation for Moral law received total revenues of $550,093, with $547,533 coming from gifts and grants, according to the group's Form 990. That year Moore, for his 20 hour job, received $453,000 in pay, or 2 ½ times his current public salary.

Which means 83 cents of every dollar given this non-profit that year went to pay Moore.

moore:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... ef_ju.html

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 am

So Moore finally stepped over the line as it were. I can't imagine that the AL SCt or the Chief Justice actually has the authority to just arbitrarily issue orders like that without something being before them. In any event, they certainly don't supersede the orders of a Federal judge, so could get real entertaining. -xx
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 am

I can't quite help, that I have this little fantasy of Roy getting to spend some quality time in an AL county jail on a contempt charge while waiting to be brought before the Federal judge he ignored.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

realist

Post by realist » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 am

Robert Barnes ‏@scotusreporter 17m17 minutes ago

#scotus denied stay of same-sex marriages in Alabama. Thomas and Scalia would have granted.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am

ok, this is weird.

Will Judge Roy Moore be removed from the bench?

Is it whether Moore is doing this for show?

Yes. By which I mean, no. There is no question. He is definitely doing this for show.

Running for governor?

Maybe, but he tried that once already, and he lost.

Nope, there is only one question left for me.

Is he a gay?

I'm sorry, but think about it. No really. At least Google it. How many politicians who have stomped their feet over this issue turned out to be ... sexually bipartisan? There have been many.

the rest is here:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... same-.html

realist

Post by realist » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am

Alan Blinder ‏@alanblinder 18m18 minutes ago

Probate Judge Alan L. King of Jefferson County, Ala., says his office will issue marriage licenses. Court opens shortly.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

realist

Post by realist » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:38 am

Roy Moore standing in the courthouse door: Where have we seen this before? Opinion

Moore's actions came after Bentley refused more than once last week to fill Wallace's shoes and take what would have been meaningless actions to try to block the federal court order. Bentley refused to become the next Alabama governor making a show of defying the law in front of TV cameras and in the process sending the message that our state is still intolerant and a lawless place for some of its citizens who happen to be different from the majority.

But what Bentley refused to do, Moore did do. He is trying to stand in the courthouse door as surely as Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door. Shame on him.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... _cour.html
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 am

Alan Blinder ‏@alanblinder 18m18 minutes ago

Probate Judge Alan L. King of Jefferson County, Ala., says his office will issue marriage licenses. Court opens shortly.

=D> =D>

I'm sure Judge King realizes that the legal risks of his position are minimal to non-existent. Political risk may be a different matter, depending on the county. (AL county probate judges are elected to six-year terms.)

realist

Post by realist » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 am

As you could have guessed, Orly is all over the situation in AL. And since she's a constitutional attorney, she obviously comes down on the side of???

:twisted: http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/roy-moore-c ... o/:twisted:

Roy Moore, Chief Judge of AL orders state judges to defy the order by a federal judge, which violated the state Constitution. It is a real standoff between the State Constitution and by the Federal court. Will it lead to Alabama leaving the United States?

Posted on | February 9, 2015 | No Comments

Alabama Judge Blocks Gay Marriage Before Marriage Licenses Could Be IssuedBustle

Alabama Judge Defies Federal Court on Gay MarriageTIME

Opinion:Ala chief justice tells judges: Refuse gay marriage licensesBoston Herald

SCOTUS might have a very tough decision on its’ hands. Marriage is a state issue. A number of Federal judges ruled that bans on gay marriage violate equal protection of gays. Other federal judges, specifically in the 4th and 5th circuit ruled that the bans on gay marriage are constitutional. However, this brings forward a number of important issues:

1. did the states lose all their rights?

2. did the people lose all their rights? do elections matter?

3. if gay marriage is allowed, will the federal courts allow polygamy? Will the federal court allow marriage between first cousins and siblings? Will the federal courts allow marriage of 17 year olds, 15 year olds,13 year olds? Where do feds draw the line?

4. the states and the people joined in the union, in the United States by giving the federal government limited posers. If the feds exceed the powers given to them by the states and the people, does it mean a breach of contract, which was signed by the states? Does this breach justify an action by the state in leaving this union all-together? Will the states simply leave the US? Will US fall apart?

There are a number of controversial issues before the courts now.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

bob

Post by bob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 am

This is astray from the discussion about Moore, but Taitz can't get these basic facts correct:

1. Same-sex marriage is legal in the 4th Circuit -- SCOTUS' cert. denial in that case was widely seen as the floodgate opening. The 5th hasn't issued a ruling yet. The 6th is the only circuit to uphold a marriage ban.

2. Cousins can already marry in many states, including California, which Taitz claims gave her a law license.

I agree that the political ramifications of defying Moore may be the longer play going on -- same-sex marriage is inevitable; this is but a method to shake out who's loyal.

Moore's jurisprudence would be laughably stupid if it wasn't so scary: Imagine if Moore issued this kind of order regarding Obama's placement on the ballot. Moore is not the law.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am

What's with Orly's fetish for sedition and treason? And it's a strange sort of constitutional attorney who argues that the federal constitution is an a la carte proposition.

No, Alabama will not leave the US. Some Alabamians will kick and scream and make bigoted fools of themselves, while the rest embrace or at least resign themselves to this new paradigm of equality. Alabama's state leaders will acquiesce to the new Order of Things because they like federal money and despise the thought of nosybodies at the DOJ Civil Rights Division coming down for a little visit.

"Limited Poser" is my new nickname for Judge Roy Wallace Moore.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:15 am

The marriage of first cousins is, in fact, a Jewish tradition. Taitz, of course, would no nothing about that because she is as good a lawyer as she is at practicing her claimed religion.

Orly Taitz, Clounselor at Law.

Return to “General Politics”