The North Carolina House Republicans Are Liars

John Thomas8

The North Carolina House Republicans Are Liars

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:45 pm

There was a scheduled session today, agreed to by both sides. It was to be opened, then adjourned to allow members to attend various 9/11 commemoration events.

However, that's not what happened. The State house republicans decided to hold a veto override of a veto of a sincerely nasty budget and disallowed objections from the Democrat representatives in the building.

Local report from WRAL, Laura Leslie reporting:

https://www.wral.com/how-dare-you-do-th ... /18626626/

This was an obscenity.

John Thomas8

Re: The North Carolina House Republicans Are Liars

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Fortunately, the Senate didn't hold a vote today and has every chance of stopping this...if they can avoid one flipped vote.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Awful, JT. I've seen several stories today, so it's getting a lot of press coverage.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm

It's as ugly a political thing I've seen in any state I've lived in in my 58 years.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm

:o

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 pm

:like:

She was awesome. And furious.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 am

North Carolina is as corrupt as Alabama is stupid. They don't even try to hide it, its like what would happen if Donald Trump was a state. :bag:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am

1. The Republicans who pulled this corrupt stunt were elected by what has already been ruled illegal gerrymandering. They lacked legitimacy before it happened.

2. Unless at least one Democrat in the state Senate (this was the House) votes with the Republicans to override the veto (and Gawd help any Democrat who does), they have gained nothing by pulling this dishonest stunt.

3. Good luck trying to do something like this again. Dems are loaded for bear.

4. I think this is going to help me personally. :blink: :boxing: Again this year, I am the coordinator for the State Fair booth of the NCDP next month. I'll be the coordinator next year too, unless I get hit by several trucks (one will NOT be enough). Next year is going to be exciting and fun and critical to the future of this great land of ours, and I won't have any trouble organizing 70 or 100 volunteers to staff the booth for 10 days.

But this year was looking bleak. There are only local elections this year. The Raleigh election - mayor and city council - will be over and done with before the Fair starts. It's hard to get enough volunteers to fully staff the booth on an off-year. If I don't have any volunteers for a shift, guess who has to go stand in the booth for that shift? :confused: :think:

Oh, wait. :mememe:

So I'm gonna try to capitalize on the anger this stunt has created. It would be irresponsible not to, don't you think? :mrgreen:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 am
:snippity:

4. I think this is going to help me personally. :blink: :boxing: Again this year, I am the coordinator for the State Fair booth of the NCDP next month. I'll be the coordinator next year too, unless I get hit by several trucks (one will NOT be enough). Next year is going to be exciting and fun and critical to the future of this great land of ours, and I won't have any trouble organizing 70 or 100 volunteers to staff the booth for 10 days.

But this year was looking bleak. There are only local elections this year. The Raleigh election - mayor and city council - will be over and done with before the Fair starts. It's hard to get enough volunteers to fully staff the booth on an off-year. If I don't have any volunteers for a shift, guess who has to go stand in the booth for that shift? :confused: :think:

Oh, wait. :mememe:

So I'm gonna try to capitalize on the anger this stunt has created. It would be irresponsible not to, don't you think? :mrgreen:
Go get 'em, bossman. :machinegun:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 am

News & Observer Editorial
NC Republicans’ shameless theft of democracy

The verdict is now plain. North Carolina’s Republican legislative leaders — not actually leaders, but connivers — are beyond shame.

In a stunning display of contempt for democracy, House Speaker Tim Moore, a Cleveland County Republican, called a surprise vote to overturn Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of the state budget just after a session opened at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Democratic lawmakers and the media had been told by Republican leaders that there would be no vote in the morning.

Most Democrats were absent. Enough Republicans, aware of the secret plan, were there. When Rep. Jason Saine, a Lincolnton Republican, made the motion to reconsider the state budget, the handful of Democrats on hand objected strenuously.

“This is a travesty of the process and you know it,” said Rep. Deb Butler, D-New Hanover.

That it was, but with these Republicans a travesty of the process is just business as usual. With only 64 of the House’s 120 members present, the vote to override passed 55-9.

Now it’s up to Democrats in the Senate to follow their conscience — and perhaps for a few Senate Republicans to find theirs — and refuse to follow the theft in the House with the necessary three-fifths vote of those present in the Senate.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Salon: Not just in North Carolina: Republican lawmakers across the country rebel against democracy

North Carolina's sleazy 9/11 veto override is just the tip of the iceberg: Republicans don't respect democracy

Return to “General Politics”