Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, murderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended me

Reality Check

Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, murderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended me

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:58 pm

I thought it would be more convenient to confine the Democratic party member bashing to one appropriately titled thread. ;)
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Estiveo

Re: Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, muderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended

Post by Estiveo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 pm

GAVIN NEWSOME IS A BIG POOP-HEAD!!1!
Image Image Image Image Image

Dave at Sea

Re: Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, muderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended

Post by Dave at Sea » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Watabout...

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 pm
Yeah. But he's almost certain to win ;)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Somerset wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 pm
Yeah. But he's almost certain to win ;)
Absolutely, but not with my vote. I mailed my ballot with the governor's race left blank.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Absolutely, but not with my vote. I mailed my ballot with the governor's race left blank.
But why has he offended you other than not supporting torturers, murderers, rapists and kidnappers?

maydijo

Re: Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, murderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended

Post by maydijo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Because heaven fucking forbid we try to tackle more than one problem at a time huh? It's like every time there's a shooting and the other side says we can't talk about gun control, let's talk about mental health instead. Because apparently humans are too small-minded to get nuance.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm
But why has he offended you other than not supporting torturers, murderers, rapists and kidnappers?
His abject mismanagement of the SF OES, his affair with his best friend's wife and attempted cover-up of same, his cronyism that made Willie Brown look like an amateur, his smarmy face and oil-slick hair, and unleashing Kimberly Guilfoyle on the rest of us. For starters.

kate520

Re: Thread to bash Democrats who don't support torturers, murderers, rapists, and kidnappers but have otherwise offended

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Yabbut ya gotta admit he’s a consummate politician. I was introduced to him at one of Phil Angelides events. Five years later I ran into him at the CA Dem convention, just walking down the hall. He remembered my name and where we’d met.

That impresses people :daydream:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm
His abject mismanagement of the SF OES, his affair with his best friend's wife and attempted cover-up of same, his cronyism that made Willie Brown look like an amateur, his smarmy face and oil-slick hair, and unleashing Kimberly Guilfoyle on the rest of us. For starters.
This is a good one and illustrates my point. Newsome's opponent is John Cox. He is a Trump lover and the feeling is mutual. You can afford to not have to hold your nose and vote for Newsome. You are fortunate to live in California where you can throw away your vote without the consequence of having a Republican asshole as your next governor. However, a lot of Democrats had that same attitude in 2016 and look at what we ended up with as President?

In the general election you have to understand that not voting for someone you may not like may be a vote for his or her opponent. It's cold hard math.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Or we could look at macro solutions. Compulsory voting means major parties have to be fairly central if they want a snowball's chance at actually gaining government, while also allowing for fringe parties which can attract the freaks and weirdos. Added bonus - the government can't enact laws like photo ID to disenfranchise voters, because then *they* are breaking the law! (And if you really don't want to vote, it's not that hard to get out of, just tell the AEC you were sick and couldn't get out of bed; but study after study has shown that when voting is compulsory, 95% of people actually cast a legitimate vote.) Preferences mean you can vote for your ideal, dream candidate knowing that you aren't wasting your vote because it'll eventually trickle down to the mainstream candidate who is most tolerable to you. This can also lead to changes in the major parties; if Labor knows that 15% of its voters gave first preference to Greens they're more likely to implement some Green policies as a way of winning over those voters. Those are just two examples from Australian elections, I'm sure other countries also have very good, viable solutions that would keep a nightmare like Trump from happening while still allowing voters to support candidates they actually like, rather than holding their noses and voting, or abstaining altogether. It really doesn't have to be as grim as "if you're not voting for the Democrats you're voting for the Republicans." But again, as with so many other issues (health care, gun control), Americans are convinced theirs is the only right way to do something and no other country can possibly have anything to bring to the table.

I'd start with overhauling the Primary season. It is so cost-prohibitive that many good candidates simply can't run because they don't have the financial backing. It's insane that we allow candidates from the same party to tear each other to shreds as a way of choosing the best candidate. By the time any candidate gets through that, they are so compromised and bruised and voters are already exhausted from the entire process and the ugliness it entails - you could start off with Mother Teresa and by the end of the Primary season she'd look bad. (I purposefully chose a person who has some controversy around her already as a way of illustrating that the bad would come to the forefront, and all of the good would be lost in the negativity.) There's nothing in the Constitution calling for the Primary system so it is something that is feasible to change.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm

You have many good suggestions for change in your comment but we have to deal with the current reality. The Constitution doesn't call for political parties either but they existed before and for every moment since it was ratified. Until we throw the completely immoral Republican party into the garbage heap of history it's likely that nothing positive is going to happen. I used to think there were good Republicans but I was young and ignorant.

You are talking about the way things ought to be and I am talking about the way they are.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 pm

I tell you a thing; I swore, years ago, that I would never vote for Gavin Newsom for anything, ever.

If somehow he ran for, and won, the Democratic nomination for president in 2020, and was running against Trump? I still wouldn't vote for him. :nope:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 pm
I tell you a thing; I swore, years ago, that I would never vote for Gavin Newsom for anything, ever.

If somehow he ran for, and won, the Democratic nomination for president in 2020, and was running against Trump? I still wouldn't vote for him. :nope:
And if Trump won again I would reluctantly piss on your grave. I am damn serious too.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 pm

As am I. That is the depth of my loathing and despite.

Besides, I'm gonna be cremated and scattered, so you can piss in the ocean. :taunt:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Besides, I'm gonna be cremated and scattered, so you can piss in the ocean. :taunt:
It wouldn't be the first time I have pissed in the ocean. :-

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 am

You can't just say "I disagree." You have to say "I'll piss on your [Estiveo's] grave." That'll show those Republicans!

:sick:

But it "illustrates [RC's] point," which I guess is is that people who disagree with his political opinions need to be insulted and attacked.

A warning to all - the NC State Fair ends tomorrow night. After that I will be around more. And I don't want to wake up in the morning to find this kind of nasty bullshit.

... and for the record, I disagree with Estiveo too also. I think you have to hold your nose and vote for a candidate you don't like, and I have done that several times. Otherwise, it really is equivalent to a vote for the worst of two evils. But I'm certainly not going to attack Estiveo because I disagree with him.

"I'll piss on your grave."

WTF? :madguy:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 am

I'm going to throw this into the room and run/hide...

http://www.stonekettle.com/2018/05/

Hunting the Unicorn -- to Extinction

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 am

But see, Foogy, you (and everyone else) are missing an important point: I'm not advocating a position I want, or expect, anyone else to emulate. I'm just saying that I hate this pinhead so much, think he is so morally bankrupt and wrong, I literally will not vote for him in any given scenario. To me, he's just a liberal version of Trump with marginally better hair.

I'm not looking for agreement, just stating a strongly held belief.

So RC's hyperbole re: grave pissing isn't worth getting all het up over.

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am

I mean, I probably couldn't vote for Bernie. Feel free to piss on my grave (really!) but I think he bears far more responsibility for our current world problems than, say, Pelosi or Warren, and I don't think I could bear to pull that lever.

I hate him.

Oh, but it's off topic, my bad.

He's not a democrat :mrgreen:
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:57 am

I like Estiveo and he knows that. However, any way you cut it not voting for Trump's opponent in the general election is half a vote for inflicting another four years of that pestilence on our country. If it is Bernie or Gavin Newsome (it won't be) running against Trump I would crawl on all fours to vote for either of them. Fortunately in my state I only have to crawl to the mailbox up the street.

The time to work against people like Newosme is in the primaries for goodness sake.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 am

Oh, I didn't vote for him in the primaries, either.

Also, Listeme speaks for me regarding Bernie.

Sanders/Newsom 2020: Make Estiveo's Head Explode.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I know, I know ... and so never mind.

Estiveo is a Democrat who doesn't support torturers, murderers, rapists, or kidnappers, but he otherwise offended RC.

So he's exactly what this thread is about, n'est ce pas? Threatening to piss on his grave was the very spirit of Democratic unity, I reckon. Isn't piss fertilizer? Isn't it gonna make the flowers grow?

That's nice. :sick:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Actually, Estiveo is not a Democrat. Estiveo is a Decline to State and has been known to vote for Republicans in the past.

Return to “General Politics”