Roy Moore - FORMER AL Supreme Court Chief Justice

Gregg

Re: Roy Moore - FORMER AL Supreme Court Chief Justice

Post by Gregg » Thu May 02, 2019 3:44 am

I think Judge Anna von Pop Tart should hear the case in a Denny's Court.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:50 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:36 pm
Exactly. GIL called it mocking, we call it telling the truth. And has been pointed out here, it's not like he just retired, they TOOK THE TITLE AWAY.
TWICE!!!
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am
I opposed the requested transfer, not only because Washington, D.C., was the proper venue . . .
but actually because I couldn't figure out how to bring it in Florida.
:winner:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 am

scirreeve wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:21 am
Can anyone diagram this sentence?
To make the long story short, given space limitations in this column, and I will be writing more about this suit, which in the end I remain confident we will win no matter which court it is ultimately tried in.
I thought you said diaphragm. My bad.
ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob » Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Techdirt: Unsurprisingly, Larry Klayman's Veiled Threats And Insulting Of Judges Isn't Helping Roy Moore's $95 Million Defamation Lawsuit:
Roy Moore, alleged sexual abuser of teens and apparent front runner for US Senate seat, continues to sue entertainer Sacha Baron Cohen for ruining his pristine reputation. Moore was duped into appearing in a segment with Cohen in which Cohen pretended to have acquired a "pedophile detector" crafted by the Israeli Army. During the bit, the alarm beeped twice in the vicinity of Moore.

Even more unfortunately, Moore has decided to hire Larry Klayman as his lawyer. I suppose if you're going to lose, you may as well lose as loudly as possible. The lawsuit is far from over, though. So, that's going to give Moore the opportunity to pay Klayman repeatedly for irritating presiding judges and otherwise fail to advance Moore's case.

The judge has decided to move the lawsuit to Manhattan despite Klayman's protests to the contrary. Klayman and Moore were likely going to lose this jurisdictional decision anyway, but Klayman made sure the loss would leave an impression on both the judge in Washington DC and the judges awaiting assignment of the incoming case. . . .

Representing a pretty much defamation-proof client in a $95 million defamation lawsuit can't be easy. But Klayman is insisting on making it as difficult as possible for both him and his client.
BuzzFeed wrote:In what appeared to be a veiled threat, Klayman told the judge that but for the fact that Moore was a "gentleman," Cohen wouldn't be walking around now. Asked to clarify what that meant after the hearing, Klayman told BuzzFeed News, "He would have been punched out on the spot."
Yes, that's what everyone's always saying about Roy Moore: he's a gentleman. In this case, though, he's managing to invert an old adage about legal representation. It's said the man who represents himself has a fool for a client. In this case, the fools are on both ends of the equation.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 11:51 am

WND: JUDGE ROY MOORE TO COURT: FRAUD CANCELS CONTRACT:
Motion for reconsideration also cites court's 'extra-judicial bias'

A lawyer representing Roy Moore, who twice was elected chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court and now is suing actor Sacha Cohen and Showtime for millions for fraudulently inducing him to appear on a show, is asking a federal court in Washington to reconsider a ruling that appears to be based on the alleged fraud.

But the basis for that ruling is a clause in the allegedly fraudulent contract and, therefore, should not be followed, argued a motion filed in the Washington court by Freedom Watch founder Larry Klayman.

He argued the federal court precedent is that reconsideration may be granted when there is “clear error” in a ruling, such as basing the decision on a fraudulent contract.

Klayman also claimed the judge appeared to be biased, and a new judge should be assigned to hear the case.

“To be honest and straightforward, given the manner in which this court appeared to disrespect and disparage Plaintiff Moore at the outset of the hearing over whether he could still be referred to as chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court – indeed a public figure such as a judge never loses his or her title – and then at the conclusion of the hearing read from an apparently pre-prepared order that was obviously penned even before the court heard oral argument, it would appear that the court not only prejudged defendants’ motion to transfer, but also harbored extra-judicial bias toward Chief Justice Moore,” the filing states.
If Klayman hadn't filed a reconsideration motion charging judicial bias, I would think he was slipping.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm

I wonder how much Idiot One is paying Idiot Two.

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm
I would guess a third of the zero dollars that a jury will never be convened to reward.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 pm

bob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm
Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm
I would guess a third of the zero dollars that a jury will never be convened to reward.
Idiot One and Idiot Two might have to pay Defendants’ legal fees, depending on whether the NY Court applies DC or NY anti-SLAPP law. As I understand it, NY’s law is narrow and probably wouldn’t cover this, but DC’s is broad, and includes satirical statements of public concern.

It was the forum selection clause in the contract that got the case to NY, but I don’t know whose substantive law controls.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 pm
Idiot One and Idiot Two might have to pay Defendants’ legal fees, depending on whether the NY Court applies DC or NY anti-SLAPP law.
I bet 400 quatloos that, once transferred to S.D.N.Y., it'll be quietly dismissed.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 pm

bob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Idiot One and Idiot Two might have to pay Defendants’ legal fees, depending on whether the NY Court applies DC or NY anti-SLAPP law.
I bet 400 quatloos that, once transferred to S.D.N.Y., it'll be quietly dismissed.
I don’t doubt that. I just think that filing a defamation claim that is so obviously a loser is such a risky proposition.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm

"quietly dismissed" is the best possible outcome of all of GIL's legal adventures.

He gets to whine and make press releases, "send money" .. nothing happens, and he's on to the next shiny object.

At some point the legal system has to figure this out and deal with it.
There's no way back
from there to here

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 pm

tek wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm
At some point the legal system has to figure this out and deal with it.
Klayman has multiple disciplinary proceedings pending with the D.C. bar. But its glacial pace is making the California bar look good.

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Justice delayed etc :(
There's no way back
from there to here

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 pm
bob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
I don’t doubt that. I just think that filing a defamation claim that is so obviously a loser is such a risky proposition.
Hasn't seemed to worry him before.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm

My understanding is that forum selection doesn't change even with a fraud charge unless the actual forum selection clause was itself fraud. This really makes the Alabama court look terrible, the former Chief Justice doesn't understand this?

Now people are saying Matt Gaetz might move from Florida to Alabama to run for the seat, would be awesome to get rid of him but seems farfetched. Whatever garbage Roy and Larry are pumping, amp it up! Cause we'll be using it for the election.
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm
My understanding is that forum selection doesn't change even with a fraud charge unless the actual forum selection clause was itself fraud.
Correct; that's exactly what the judge ruled.
This really makes the Alabama court look terrible, the former Chief Justice doesn't understand this?
Objection! That implies Moore cares about anyone other than himself.

Klayman's Moore's reconsideration motion. Four whole pages; Klayman's doing minimal work for maximal publicity.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:10 pm

bob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 pm
Klayman's Moore's reconsideration motion. Four whole pages; Klayman's doing minimal work for maximal publicity.
Good thing he only does this for publicity because tossing allegations at the judge is probably not helpful in getting him to reverse his ruling. Surprised he did not tods leftist in there, despite the judge being a Reagan appointee.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Don't listen to him, Roy, you go on and run bro!
Don Jr. warns Roy Moore: Stay out of Alabama Senate race
By JAMES ARKIN 05/28/2019 07:45 PM EDT

Donald Trump Jr. on Tuesday warned Roy Moore not to run for Senate again in Alabama, calling him the only candidate who could lose the race for Republicans.

Moore lost the 2017 special Senate election to Democratic Sen. Doug Jones after the former judge faced allegations of inappropriate sexual interactions with young girls decades ago. He has expressed interest in running again next year, and many Republicans expect him to mount another campaign for Senate, a worst-case scenario for the party’s hopes of winning back the seat.

“You are literally the only candidate who could lose a GOP seat in pro-Trump, pro-USA ALABAMA,” Trump Jr. tweeted at Moore on Tuesday. “Running for office should never become a business model. If you actually care about #MAGA more than your own ego, it’s time to ride off into the sunset, Judge.”

Trump Jr. was responding to a tweet in which Moore taunted Rep. Bradley Byrne, one of the Republicans running in the race to face Jones next fall. Byrne told The Hill that he expected Moore would enter the race soon, but didn’t think he could win the nomination because of the baggage from his previous run.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... te-1346089

:lol:
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

bob

Post by bob » Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Call and raise:

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 pm

bob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 pm
Call and raise:
He says "gains we've have made during my Presidency," where most of his predecessors would have said, "gains we have made in the last 2 1/2 years."

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm

Of course, when the Republican Party eventually has to pay for the last two and half years, and they go 40 years before being relevant again, that'll be someone else's fault.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Roy Moore hits back at Trump in defiant interview
By JAMES ARKIN 05/29/2019 07:38 PM EDT

A defiant Roy Moore brushed aside Donald Trump’s warning not to run for Senate again, telling POLITICO on Wednesday that Alabama voters are capable of deciding for themselves whether he’s fit for office.

“The president doesn’t control who votes for the United States Senate in Alabama,” Moore said in a phone interview. “People in Alabama are smarter than that. They elect the senator from Alabama, not from Washington, D.C.”

The scandal-plagued former judge said he is “seriously considering” running for Senate again and plans to decide in a “few weeks.”
“We believe most Alabama Republicans realize that nominating Roy Moore would be gift wrapping this Senate seat for Chuck Schumer,” said Steven Law, president of Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC aligned with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

Moore is convinced he could capture his party's nomination in the face of the president's opposition again. He said some Republicans are fearful that he still has support in the state.

“They know I'll win," he said. "That's why they're upset."
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... ew-1487921

Run Roy Run!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 pm

I wonder how Roy likes being thrown under the bus?

Run Roy run,
we need more comedy out of AL instead of all the tragedy and drama we've gotten so far.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 pm

:lol: ND, it's already begun:

From JMart in NYT:
In the interview, Mr. Moore complained that the president was getting “bad advice” about him from “the establishment in Washington,” which fears his views on social issues such as his opposition to gay marriage.

“I think politics are at work and people behind the scenes are trying to force him to distance himself from me,” Mr. Moore said, referring to Mr. Trump. “It’s wrong. The truth is they know I’ll win if I run.”
On Tuesday, the president’s son Donald Jr., a key campaign surrogate for his father, went after Mr. Moore more personally, saying on Twitter, “You’re literally the only candidate who could lose a GOP seat in pro-Trump, pro-USA ALABAMA.” He added, “It’s time to ride off into the sunset, Judge.”

Responding to the younger Mr. Trump, Mr. Moore said: “The last time I rode into the sunset, he wasn’t born. I rode so far I wound up in Vietnam where I defended our country.”

Mr. Moore was twice removed from office while serving as the state’s chief justice, once for defying an order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the Alabama judicial building, and again for ordering state judges to disobey the Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriages.
Senior Republican officials say they are all but resigned to another Moore candidacy, saying his income depends on his remaining in the political spotlight.

“There’s a lot about Roy Moore that still needs to be examined, especially on the financial element, it’s a tangled web,” said Kevin McLaughlin, the top aide at the Republican Senate committee, calling himself “A.B.R.M — Anyone but Roy Moore.”
On Wednesday, Mr. Moore insisted the accusations would not haunt a second bid for the Senate. “I think everybody knows that that was an anomaly,” he said of the 2017 contest. “That was a fraudulent race.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/us/p ... trump.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Run Roy :pray:

Return to “General Politics”