LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

RTH10260

Re: LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Post by RTH10260 »

EU has upper hand in Brexit trade talks, says Leo Varadkar
Bruno Waterfield, Brussels
Monday January 27 2020, 12.00pm GMT, The Times

The EU will have the upper hand in trade talks and will use Britain’s “weak position” on access to the Continent’s financial markets to force big concessions, Ireland’s prime minister has said.

Leo Varadkar, who held talks with Michel Barnier, the EU’s lead negotiator, today, warned that Britain’s economy was vulnerable during trade negotiations after Brexit next week.

His comments come as an internal Brussels diplomatic document, seen by The Times, reveals that the EU will demand the same fishing rights in Britain’s waters.

“I think the reality of situation is that the EU is a union of 27 member states. The UK is only one country. We have a population and a market of 450 million people. The UK, it’s about 60 million,”

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -83lv09rfc

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Your last hour tolls - the UK on its way to the gallows of histiory :twisted:
Britain approaches a historic change.

At 11 p.m. on Friday — midnight in Brussels, and 6 p.m. in New York — Britain will officially depart from the European Union, 1,317 days after voting in favor of leaving the bloc in a referendum that plunged the country into a three-year-long debate over its future.

While this will be the official end of 47 years of Britain’s membership in what became the European Union, very little is set to change immediately. It’s the beginning of a transition period, scheduled to end on Dec. 31, during which London and Brussels must hash out the details of Britain’s future relationship with its European neighbors. Still, the moment carries enormous legal and symbolic weight.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his cabinet began their day with a meeting in Sunderland, the city in northern England that was the first to announce it had voted in favor of leaving the European Union on the night of the 2016 referendum.

It was the first of a handful of celebratory, but noticeably muted, official events to mark the day, suggesting that a pro-Brexit government is seeking to avoid the appearance of gloating. In the referendum, 48 percent of voters wanted to remain part of the European Union, and later polls suggest that number may have grown since.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/worl ... in-eu.html

bob

Post by bob »

To answer my own (unasked question), per this Vox article, everything remains the same (other than the UK has no say in EU rulemaking) until the end of 2020. And this transition period can be extended -- once -- up until the end of 2022.

So the difficult questions continue to be kicked down the road.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

25 minutes to go.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Boris Johnson's Facebook address to the nation:

Apparently leaving the EU means we can do many of the things we should have been doing anyway...

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:sharky;

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

#MUKGA :sarcasm:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm
#MUKGA :sarcasm:
Make Great Britain England Again

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

As someone who truely appreciates that "looks like he slept in a bag of cats" look I get it. But FFS man, I'm not the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, COMB YOUR PHUCKING HAIR, knutsack. I know you want to be just like Trump but give it up....
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He does the dishevelled hair deliberately.

I haven't watched his drivel, but can I surmise that his whole speech was "Don't worry, Hamerica will save us!"
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am

I haven't watched his drivel, but can I surmise that his whole speech was "Don't worry, Hamerica will save us!"
More a Münchhausen syndrom - we will save ourselves - we are still the Glorious Nation - we need no one to tell us how to drive the wagon deeper into the shit.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am

I know he does it on purpose, and people who know me for real know I do exactly the same thing for pretty much the same reason. That being said, I know when to clean myself up and act like a grownup, if even for just a day.

As for the second part, Hamerica is currently having a complete reality meltdown and we're at the point where we need to get advice on representative republic governance from Chile and Saudi Arabia. We ain't saving anyone, even if they do have a dead squirrel on their head.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I've said this before, but surely one of the takeaways for all foreign governments from the events of recent years is: Don't Rely On America. Previous confidence that the US would Do The Right Thing (for some value of "right", which many might not agree with but could say least anticipate and understand) has to be discarded. If Johnson and his chums are relying on the US to act in the UK's best interest – or even just relying on the US not to attempt to stiff the UK – they are naive suckers riding for a fall.

And the UK's old anglophone/Commonwealth friends aren't interested: I was chatting to an Aussie in Denmark who said that Australia (and probably New Zealand too) were really unhappy at being ditched as major trading partners when the UK joined the EU, and they experienced significant economic problems for some time.

They are so screwed.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 1580562427
The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

The Observer has learned that the Spanish government has insisted on reference to the Rock in the EU’s opening negotiating position, which will be published in draft form on Monday.

Boris Johnson will be presented with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar’s future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing it outside any EU-UK trade deal.

“They have in principle asked that the new relationship not apply to Gibraltar without the explicit consent of Spain, which will only be given if the bilateral talks with Spain and the UK over the rock are resolved,” a senior EU diplomat said.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims
I'm sure Boris and chums have anticipated this and have a concrete solution prepared and ready for signatures.

Are any of the smilies intended to portray total incompetence?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Uninformed wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:32 pm
I'm sure Boris and chums have anticipated this and have a concrete solution prepared and ready for signatures.

Are any of the smilies intended to portray total incompetence?
Maybe this one:
:dazed:

The EU has had over three years to prepare for post Brexit negotiations. I think the UK is in for a rough ride.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:17 pm
Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar claims :snippity:
I was reading that article a moment ago and would have posted about it but Speedy Volkonski beat me to it! :thumbs:

This sort of issue shows the UK leavers' lack of foresight and understanding. As the article points out, the EU as a whole will, quite reasonably, support a member over a non-member. The UK didn't appear to fully appreciate that in its discussions about the island of Ireland: the EU did and will support the stance of the Republic of Ireland (an enthusiastic member) in any negotiation.

Similarly with Spain and Gibraltar.

The adage goes that "a friend (when one is) in need is a friend indeed". On that criterion, as negotiations proceed, the UK might find it lacks friends indeed.

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

My personal view is that there is a lot of issues that have not been thought through. It's like the UK thinks it can leave a club, stop paying membership fees but still enjoy all the facilities. It's not going to happen. Gibraltar is one example. Fishing will be another. Huge areas of fishable waters will, for home political reasons become EU only. The UK will get marginalised and pushed out everywhere over these types of situations. People seem to think that we can negotiate trade deals in weeks when in reality they take years. Pro-brexiters also seem to think we can have EU-compliant and non-EU-compliant products at the press of a button. Farming will be another area to take a hit. If worker migration is clamped down on there are hundreds of farms which rely on migrants for crop picking and similar seasonal work which will now be done by ? well who? Ditto healthcare services.
Imports from the EU will go up in price. I see no reason for them not to, and that's how business works. What will the UK now do about non EU goods? Are we going to be in the position of EU goods complying with EU quality rules or buy "cheaper" chlorine washed chicken and growth hormone fed beef? (both currently not allowed by the EU IIRC - only using it as an example)
Going to Tibet now and deleting Facebook you have my email address.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Labor really needs to campaign on "we traded all the benefits of being in the largest trading block in the world so that we could buy GMO produce, bleached poultry and hormone fed beef and pork from Donald Trump"

Now myself, and part of this is being American, don't mind the food technology. The fact is, if we want to create all our food organically we need to find 2 billion volunteers who are willing to sign up to quit eating and starve to death. But I know y'all are a lot more sensitive to these things, and I also understand Emperor Cheeto ain't as popular as say, Prince Andrew, over there right now.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Gregg wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 am
:snippity: I also understand Emperor Cheeto ain't as popular as say, Prince Andrew, over there right now.
Yes, even BoJo had to avoid being seen with Cheeto like the plague during the campaign.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Brexit trade deal clash: UK and EU begin sparring over rules

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... ce=twitter
The European Union and Britain clashed over a post-Brexit trade deal on Monday with Prime Minister Boris Johnson insisting he need not sign up to the bloc’s rules and Brussels warning of tariffs and quotas unless he did.

Britain wants to negotiate a trade deal by the end of 2020, though EU leaders say the further Britain diverges from their rules the less access it will have to the EU market.

Speaking just over two days since Brexit, Johnson cast Britain as the “supercharged” superman of free trade, and while it would not seek to undermine the bloc with a race to the bottom, he said there was no need to accept EU rules.

“There is no need for a free trade agreement to involve accepting EU rules on competition policy, subsidies, social protection, the environment or anything similar, any more than the EU should be obliged to accept UK rules,” Johnson said.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -brexit-uk
Of course, much of Johnson’s language is political chest-beating. Continuing to deal with the EU at all requires agreements on trade and movement of people. If it helps Johnson’s paranoid ego to reject “legislative” alignment or “rule taking” or “level playing fields”, perhaps he can be textually humoured. Negotiators should be able to reach sectoral agreements on goods and services, covered by enforceable protocols ensuring fair competition. The City has already reached such temporary deals on money markets. Likewise many EU countries exercise sovereignty over migrants’ employment and welfare rights.

What is not the case is that somehow the UK has overnight become a more potent negotiator than before. Trade is not about sovereignty. It is about commercial and economic weight. In this respect, Britain outside the EU has been weakened, not strengthened. The lion has become a mouse, a mouse trying to roar. It may make Johnson and his colleagues feel good. But they owe it to the country to swiftly reach a free trade deal with the EU, and that means free.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

POSTED ON 1 FEBRUARY 2020

A letter from Emmanuel Macron to the British people

Dear British friends,

Your country has just left the European Union, after 47 years of life together.

It is the result of the sovereign decision the British people expressed in the referendum of June 2016, a democratic choice France has always respected.

Yet I must also tell you, as an ally and, even more, as a friend and true European, how deeply sad I am at this departure. And I am thinking, today, of the millions of Britons – from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – who still feel deeply attached to the European Union. I am thinking of the hundreds of thousands of French citizens in the UK and British citizens in France who are wondering about their rights and their future: I assure them that we will protect them.

I must tell you, too, that this departure is a shock for Europeans. It is the first time a country has left the European community. The UK was not there when it took its first steps in 1950, but we owe it so much – Winston Churchill’s historic foresight, for a start. And since 1973, while our European relationships may at times have been turbulent, the UK has been a central player in the European project – particularly in building the single market –, a more influential player than the British have often themselves imagined.

This departure has to be a shock, because there is nothing trivial about it. We must understand the reasons for it and learn lessons from it. The rejection of a Europe which political leaders, in the UK and elsewhere, have too often blamed for all evils, to avoid having to deal with their own failures – that’s one reason. Another is, let’s acknowledge this, the consequence of a Europe seen as not effective enough, not protective enough, distant from the realities of daily life.

I am convinced therefore that Europe needs new momentum, in a world where the need for control, security and protection is stronger than ever. Perhaps you’ll tell me it is no longer your problem? I do not believe that for a minute, because the UK has no interest in a weak European Union. I fight every day, and will continue to do so, for this united, sovereign and democratic Europe, whose strength will make our continent strong.

In this respect, I know the feeling – however you voted in 2016 – that France was “tough” from the start of the Brexit negotiation. I wanted to defend the existential principles of the way the European Union functions: compliance with our rules within the single market, European unity, and stability in Ireland. These are not bureaucratic inflexibilities but the very foundations of the European edifice. But never has France or the French people – or, I think it is fair to say, any European people – been driven by a desire for revenge or punishment.

It is in this spirit of mutual respect and commitment to the European Union and with such powerful ties between our two countries that we must look to the future and build our new relationship.

The British government wishes to move swiftly forward; we are ready for this. It is in our common interest to define as close and deep a partnership as possible in defence and security, and in police, judicial, environmental, scientific and cultural cooperation. At the same time let me be honest, as I have always been: ease of access to the European market will depend on the degree to which the European Union’s rules are accepted, because we cannot allow any harmful competition to develop between us.

More directly, I would like to begin a new chapter between our two countries, based on the strength of our unrivalled ties. This year we will celebrate the 80th anniversary of General de Gaulle’s 18 June Appeal: the French know what they owe the British, who allowed our Republic to live. I am coming to London in June to award the city the Légion d’Honneur, in tribute to the immense courage of a whole country and people. Ten years on from the Lancaster House Agreement, we must deepen our defence, security and intelligence cooperation. I would also like Prime Minister Boris Johnson and I to draw on history to boldly build new, ambitious projects, as when the Channel Tunnel finally – physically – connected our two countries.

Dear British friends, you are leaving the European Union but you are not leaving Europe. Nor are you becoming detached from France or the friendship of its people. The Channel has never managed to separate our destinies; Brexit will not do so, either.

At 11.00 p.m. last night we did not say “goodbye”, but an early “good morning”.

Emmanuel Macron
https://www.elysee.fr/en/emmanuel-macro ... ish-people

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Guardian news
@guardiannews
·
8m
Guardian front page, Wednesday 19 February 2020: Fears for UK economy as Johnson closes border to unskilled workers

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Well there goes you "Taco Truck on Every Corner" :rotflmao:

Is he gonna build a wall across the Channel? Is Pakistan going to pay for it?

Return to “Current Events”