LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

RTH10260

Re: LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am

Teresa May must be laughing her ass off.
:like:

and I admire the inspiration that could make the connection for this picture just in time!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 am

They also removed the Tory whip from Kenneth Clarke, the Father of the House (i.e., the longest-serving member of Parliament), who has held just about every Cabinet post imaginable except that of Prime Minister in Tory governments going back to the Heath Government in the 1970s.

Consider: An oafish, unprincipled opportunist like Boris Johnson is now the arbiter of who does and who does not deserve to call themselves a Conservative.

Dear Labour: Kindly sack Jeremy Corbyn in favor of a rational human being (my preference would be Harriet Harman or Hilary Benn, but Tom Watson, Keir Starmer, John McDonnell, or Diane Abbott wouldn't be unacceptable) who can form a unity caretaker government to stop the madness.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:50 am

Moderates attack Boris Johnson after Tory rebels have whip removed
21 MPs expelled as Commons moves towards blocking no-deal

Francis Elliott, Political Editor | Oliver Wright, Policy Editor
September 4 2019, 12:01pm, The Times

Boris Johnson and his Downing Street advisers suffered a furious backlash from moderate Conservatives after the prime minister responded to losing control of Brexit by expelling 21 of his MPs.

Last night MPs took control of the parliamentary agenda by 328 votes to 301, paving the way for an extension of the October 31 deadline.

The prime minister also faces being unable to carry out his threat of calling a snap election after suffering a humiliating defeat in his first Commons vote.

Ruth Davidson, who quit as leader of the Scottish Conservatives last week, led the charge against the prime minister’s decision to strip the whip from the group of Conservative rebels, which included nine former cabinet ministers, two of them former chancellors.

Subscribe now and get unlimited digital access on web and our smartphone and tablet apps, free for your first month.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -hbnhhpzh7

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:52 am

:blackeye:
Boris Johnson has lost control and more talks are pointless, says EU

Bruno Waterfield, Brussels
September 4 2019, 12:01pm, The Times

The EU fears that Boris Johnson has “lost control” and that any new negotiation on the Irish backstop is “pointless” because his government is powerless to push it through the House of Commons.

European ambassadors will today hold confidential talks on Brexit and what steps the EU should take next after the prime minister’s heavy defeat and loss of his parliamentary majority yesterday.

Diplomatic sources said that the EU is increasingly pessimistic over the point of holding talks with the prime minister on alternatives to the Irish backstop after MPs last night seized control of the Commons agenda.

“He has lost his majority and lost control, there is no evidence an election would fix it. It seems futile to continue discussions,” said a senior European.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -9fzgnr8rr

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm

A snap election could damage Boris Johnson’s party, or even see the UK break apart

Willem Marx

KEY POINTS
One possible date for a national ballot is Oct. 15, two weeks before the Brexit deadline.
But there is huge uncertainty over what it would bring in Britain’s fractious political environment.
If the U.K. has not left the EU before the next national election, many expect numbers for the Conservatives to remain below the 50% mark required for a majority.
In Scotland, the Conservatives’ few remaining lawmakers face a separate threat from a population where many would prefer Scotland to remain an EU member.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday evening will ask Parliament to approve a new general election, after a majority of lawmakers in the House of Commons voted to wrest control of the legislative timetable away from his Conservative-led government.

Johnson lost his governing majority Tuesday when one of his party’s disgruntled members defected to the opposition party, the Liberal Democrats.

A crucial vote Tuesday night meant opposition lawmakers together with a small number of Johnson’s fellow Conservatives could introduce a piece of fresh legislation Wednesday afternoon to block the government from pursuing an exit from the European Union without a negotiated withdrawal settlement at the end of October.

Johnson has argued that this threat of a “no-deal Brexit” is necessary for him to win a compromise in negotiations with the EU, because of the expectation of economic damage that it would inflict on Europe.

And he has insisted that if the legislation to block what his opponents call a “disorderly” Brexit passes on Wednesday, only an election will help decide, in Johnson’s words, “who goes to Brussels to sort this out,” at the next summit of European leaders scheduled for mid-October.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/brexit- ... party.html

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:06 pm

I think they should replace the British National Anthem, "God Save the Queen," with "Nearer My God to Thee."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:15 pm

A snap election could damage Boris Johnson’s party, or even see the UK break apart

Willem Marx

Johnson has argued that this threat of a “no-deal Brexit” is necessary for him to win a compromise in negotiations with the EU, because of the expectation of economic damage that it would inflict on Europe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/brexit- ... party.html
ArthurWankspittle wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:55 am
Suranis wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 pm
Johnson wants a No deal cliff Brexit. That is clear. Why he does, I dont know.
My only conclusion is that it is all he has left as a negotiation tool with the EU. Give me more concessions or we have a no deal Brexit and it will be a big mess for everyone, and I'll blame you for it all. The last part of which will only work within the UK but enough people will believe it.
Fogbow (and me) ahead of the game.

I think Johnson has to go for 15 October or even more people will fall out with him for trying to get a no-deal Brexit before an election, if he goes for a later date. Alternatively Parliament will push the date for Brexit past whatever the election date is set at.
Going to Tibet now and deleting Facebook you have my email address.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:53 pm

blazing_saddles_hostage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

They are right to do so. Until the delay bill passes and the extension is granted, there is no incentive to dissolve the House, or Johnson could simply ignore the law, set the election to a date beyond the 31st (his promise to set it for the 15th of October isn’t worth the paper it isn’t printed on) and let the clock run out leading to no deal.

The man is absolutely manic in his desire to leave immediately, and he doesn’t care whether there’s a deal or not. I’ve read some articles hypothesizing that some Leavers are trying to avoid being caught up in some new EU anti-money-laundering tax laws that go into effect at the beginning of January. Who knows.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

So, what are his options? Let's speculate.

He could resign for yet ANOTHER leadership contest, but I dont think bieng the shortest serving British PM ever is what he wants carved on his tombstone.

He still has to report to Parliment for the moment since it's not voted to dissolve, and that is obviously not what he wants.

And, as an aside, telling the UK population "No deal Brexit is absolutly fine!!!" and telling the EU "No Deal Brexit will be disasterous to everyone and that's why you have to give us everything we want!" as a negotiating pitch has to be creating whiplash even in Brexit supporters and the Murdoch Morons that are brainwashed by the Sun.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Brexit : DJT Impeachment :: Basketball : Golf
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Tarrant wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm
They are right to do so. Until the delay bill passes and the extension is granted, there is no incentive to dissolve the House, or Johnson could simply ignore the law, set the election to a date beyond the 31st (his promise to set it for the 15th of October isn’t worth the paper it isn’t printed on) and let the clock run out leading to no deal.

The man is absolutely manic in his desire to leave immediately, and he doesn’t care whether there’s a deal or not. I’ve read some articles hypothesizing that some Leavers are trying to avoid being caught up in some new EU anti-money-laundering tax laws that go into effect at the beginning of January. Who knows.
I have yet to hear that the EU is willing to grant another extension. IFF then it will be just for a few days to let Parliament finally pass a bill and Johnson present it to Brussels on his knees.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Bojo's new nickname: "Darth Failure."

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 pm

May must be having a good laugh at this point.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 pm
May must be having a good laugh at this point.
With Al Franken.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Wow, the exchange rate from £:$ is amazing. Last time I was there, it was almost 1:2. Is it worth a trip this Fall? :daydream:
Edit: now it’s 1:1.2
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
Wow, the exchange rate from £:$ is amazing. Last time I was there, it was almost 1:2. Is it worth a trip this Fall? :daydream:
Edit: now it’s 1:1.2
I'm back in London for the academic term (give or take a week in November) as of this weekend. Just saying.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 pm

Also, I believe Boris may not yet have won a single vote in the Commons in his time as Prime Minister.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:06 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 pm
Also, I believe Boris may not yet have won a single vote in the Commons in his time as Prime Minister.
He hasn't. In fact, I think he (and his absurd Leader of the House) has earned himself a rollicking Gilbert & Sullivan parody of the kind I haven't done in a long, long time.

Young Brit, despair!
Leave the E.U.
Rees-Mogg the fair,
You must not woo.
It will not do,
I'm sorry for you,
You European parishioner.
Their Brexit day
At Number Ten
He'll wend his way
And crow again
With a cattle pen
Full of businessmen
To praise his batty Prime Minister!

And the brass will crash,
And the trumpets bray,
And they'll cut a dash
On their Brexit day.
He'll toddle away
As all aver
With the uncombed Prime Minister!
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 am

Boris's brother quits the Commons and his ministerhood, saying he is "torn between family loyalty and the national interest".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49594793

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am

:rotflmao:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:19 am

Jo Johnson proving that while blood may be thicker than water, nothing is thicker than Boris.
- Donaeld The Unready
There's no way back
from there to here

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:09 am

No, Boris might act the fool but he isn't stupid. He is a guy with a plan. Calling him a fool just makes you underestimate him. The guy was a hard core remainer before he wasn't.

However, he is reckless in the extreme.

Return to “Current Events”