Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Green Products

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Green Products

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.treehugger.com/thoughts-on- ... hs-5194663
Thoughts on the Mighty Swedish Dishcloth
Durable yet biodegradable, these reusable cloths can replace paper towels and an array of other products.

Paper towels are one of the harder conveniences to forsake in the name of having a more sustainable home. They make cleaning up messes very easy, we get it. But U.S. consumers went through an estimated 362 million rolls of paper towels in 2020—which is a bit disconcerting given that the EPA "does not identify any significant recovery of tissue products [paper towels included] for recycling." Meanwhile, sponges and microfiber cloths—and their plastic components—are chaos for the environment as well.

And this is why we are so smitten with the mighty Swedish dishcloth. Invented in Sweden in 1949 by engineer Curt Lindquist, the squares are made of a highly absorbent material comprised of plant-based cellulose and cotton. Europeans have been using them all along, and finally, we are catching on here in the U.S.

Swedish dishcloths are sustainability superstars. They can absorb 20 times their weight, making them perfect for sopping up spills. Aside from being a great swap for paper towels, they also stand in for sponges, dish towels, microfiber cloths, and chamois. They can be used with all manner of cleaning products and can be washed in the washing machine up to 50 times. They are completely biodegradable and can be backyard composted.
Swedish dishcloths are endorsed by the Fogbow's very own Tired Retired Lawyer!!!!!!!!*

*This is not a paid endorsement. No dachsunds were injured while writing this endorsement.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Green Products

Post by Foggy »

362 million rolls of paper towels in 2020
Hate to point out, that's 1.097 rolls per person in a country with 330 million people, and I'm not sure we're all the way to 330 million yet.

So basically, one roll per person per year.

But I get it, I'll look into the Swedish alternative.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ordered a "Cat in the Window". :oldman:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've used the Swedish dishcloths for years. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn sez, "I could use a dish towel and wash it." :cantlook:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

For decades my aunt has been crocheting dish cloths from cotton. That is all we in the family use, and we use them for regular wash cloths. I also have some very old dish towels which were fashioned from flour sacks. But to honest, windows need some kind of paper to finish them off. I use newspapers.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I use Utopia brand terry cloth bar mops I get on Amazon. I have a gozillion of them. I use them once, just like I would a paper towel, and toss it in a lidded trash can. When the trash can gets full, I put them in the laundry with some oxy-clean.

One of our bathrooms has a bidet toilet seat. I keep a stack of washcloths in there for drying off. We got the bidet seat at the beginning of covid to deal with the tp shortage. We really like it plan to get more eventually for the other bathrooms. Anyhoo, just like the bar mops, we toss those in a bin and throw them in the wash when the bin gets full.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/teen-upcycle ... es-5194943
Teen Upcycles Climbing Ropes, Helping the Environment and Pets
He donates the profits to animal rescue groups.

An avid rock climber for several years, Alexander Tsao was scaling the walls at a gym near his home in Redmond, Washington, when he noticed that the ropes were frequently being replaced with new ones. The rope he was using that day for a team practice was a different color from the one he had used just a day earlier.

Just 16 at the time, Tsao wondered what happened to the old ropes. He asked the gym owners and found out they had to be discarded regularly due to safety regulations. He was surprised to find that so many ropes were sent to landfills.

“This discovery made me want to devise a solution to the environmental issue of climbing rope waste,” Tsao tells Treehugger.

He mulled possible ideas and ways to upcycle the discarded ropes, deciding to turn them into leashes for dogs. He donates the profits (and some leashes) to local animal rescue groups.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Green steel’: Swedish company ships first batch made without using coal
Hybrit sends steel made with hydrogen production process to Volvo, which plans to use it in prototype vehicles and components

Reuters in Stockholm
Thu 19 Aug 2021 02.57 BST

The world’s first customer delivery of “green steel” produced without using coal is taking place in Sweden, according to its manufacturer.

The Swedish venture Hybrit said it was delivering the steel to truck-maker Volvo AB as a trial run before full commercial production in 2026. Volvo has said it will start production in 2021 of prototype vehicles and components from the green steel.

Steel production using coal accounts for around 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Hybrit started test operations at its pilot plant for green free steel in Lulea, northern Sweden, a year ago. It aims to replace coking coal, traditionally needed for ore-based steel making, with renewable electricity and hydrogen. Hydrogen is a key part of the EU’s plan to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

SSAB accounts for 10% of Sweden’s and 7% of Finland’s carbon dioxide emissions. It said the trial delivery was an “important step towards a completely fossil-free value chain … The goal is to deliver fossil-free steel to the market and demonstrate the technology on an industrial scale as early as 2026.”

Another green steel venture, H2 Green Steel, is planning to build a fossil fuel-free steel plant in the north of Sweden, including a sustainable hydrogen facility, with production starting in 2024.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... using-coal
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 pm I use Utopia brand terry cloth bar mops I get on Amazon. I have a gozillion of them. I use them once, just like I would a paper towel, and toss it in a lidded trash can. When the trash can gets full, I put them in the laundry with some oxy-clean.

One of our bathrooms has a bidet toilet seat. I keep a stack of washcloths in there for drying off. We got the bidet seat at the beginning of covid to deal with the tp shortage. We really like it plan to get more eventually for the other bathrooms. Anyhoo, just like the bar mops, we toss those in a bin and throw them in the wash when the bin gets full.
Wow! No bidets (although I would love them) but I also use tons of microfiber cloths and I pour a bunch of vinegar in the washing machine figuring it might help sanitize them. I also use hot water, because the cloths are cheap. I haven't had to replace any in 5 years though. FYI OxyClean now makes a flavor that kills bacteria, you just throw it in the wash cycle.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:52 am
Wow! No bidets (although I would love them) but I also use tons of microfiber cloths and I pour a bunch of vinegar in the washing machine figuring it might help sanitize them. I also use hot water, because the cloths are cheap. I haven't had to replace any in 5 years though. FYI OxyClean now makes a flavor that kills bacteria, you just throw it in the wash cycle.
I put mine in the sanitary cycle on my washing machine. The water gets extra hot, and Oxyclean works best in really hot water. If I have towels that are really nasty I’ll soak them in just-boiled water with Oxyclean and that seems to help. And when they get too awful to use I gave them to my husband and he uses them when he’s working on his car and then throws them away when he’s done.

I tried using micro fiber, and I liked how soft it is but it wasn’t absorbent enough for me. I might be using the wrong brand.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
If someone has a good brand to share with Maybenaut, please do. I don't have advertisements on the site, but a good recommendation from someone who isn't making $$ from it is perfectly acceptable. Heck, I gave y'all a link to the best spicy pepper relish I buy, but I don't make a nickel if'n you buy it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I bought a Swedish dish cloth, and ol' Wifehorn wants nothing to do with it. :oopsy:

Me: It replaces paper towels!

Her: The only thing I even use paper towels for any more is to clean up cat piss and cat barf. I don't want to use something else, because I don't want to put your stupid dish cloth (or any paper towels) in my washing machine later. No cat products in my machine! For anything else, I can use cotton dish towels, and wash them. A roll of paper towels will last me months.

Me: :think: :confuzzled: :towel: :daydreaming: :smoking: :shrug: :whistle:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:25 am I bought a Swedish dish cloth, and ol' Wifehorn wants nothing to do with it. :oopsy:

Me: It replaces paper towels!

Her: The only thing I even use paper towels for any more is to clean up cat piss and cat barf. I don't want to use something else, because I don't want to put your stupid dish cloth (or any paper towels) in my washing machine later. No cat products in my machine! For anything else, I can use cotton dish towels, and wash them. A roll of paper towels will last me months.

Me: :think: :confuzzled: :towel: :daydreaming: :smoking: :shrug: :whistle:
my husband hates the idea of throwing out the towels after he gets grease on them, and wants to put them in the washing machine.

Me: Nope.

Him: But oily rags spontaneously combust!

Me: Not if they’re soaking in a home depot bucket of water.

When the bucket gets full we take the rags to the landfill and they get buried.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/best-of-gree ... 22-5215213
Best of Green Awards: 2022 Eco Trends
From weird batteries to edible beauty products, here's what's in store for the year ahead.

We'll Be Wearing Food Waste
In terms of fashion innovations, look for plant- and waste-based materials to become mainstream. We've seen the food industry leading the charge to incorporate agricultural waste into glorious new products; now it's fashion's turn. Think Rens Original sneakers ... made from coffee grounds! We will also be seeing more innovative alternative plant-based textiles and vegan leather products that aren't 100% plastic. Look for mainstream usage of Piñatex, made from pineapple leaf fibers; Desserto, which is made from cactus; and Mylo, that’s made from mycelium, the vegetative part of a mushroom.

The 'War on Cars' Goes Mainstream
“The war on cars” is the term used by drivers every time a new bike lane, low traffic neighborhood, or lower speed limit is proposed. Drivers had to put up with it during the pandemic as parking spaces were lost to bike lanes and restaurant seating. This year, drivers will want that space back—but the pedestrians, cyclists, and restaurateurs are not going to go quietly. In fact, so many people enjoyed the changes that the "complete streets" types are going to be looking for more traffic calming, more space for walking and biking, and more taking back the streets. Just look at this Shorpy photo of a New York street in 1908—how much space was given to the sidewalk and how many people are on it. This is the city we want.

Our Pets Go Green
For the longest time, pet supply products have generally been oddly absent from the sustainability space. But as we saw in last year's Best of Green Awards for Pets, times are a-changing. Here's what to look for this year:
Fewer and better ingredients in foods and treats
Sustainable proteins (like crickets)
Recycled and recyclable materials in toys and gear
More natural ingredients in grooming products
More thoughtful packaging with an emphasis on recycled/recyclable materials and less plastic
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... uxbndlbing
My Face Mask Has a First Name; It's O-S-C-A-R: Oscar Mayer Introduces Beauty Product

"As a nod to what makes Oscar Mayer iconic, the brand is releasing the real deal: a bologna-inspired face mask that rejuvenates your skin while recapturing that childhood joy," the company stated.

These face masks are not just pieces of plastic, however. Oscar Mayer is designing the masks in collaboration with Seoul Mamas, a South Korean-based beauty company that manufactures products for a variety of hotels and retailers.

However, the company made it clear that these masks do not actually contain any bologna and are not edible. The masks are a "hydrating and restoring hydrogel that promote skin elasticity, improve hydration and moisture retention, offer anti-inflammatory benefits, and provide protection for the skin," according to Kraft.

WCHM-TV reported that the masks were made of a combination of seaweed ingredients and witch hazel.
AASXk65.jpeg
AASXk65.jpeg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c ... 26250.html
COORS LIGHT ELIMINATES 6-PACK PLASTIC RINGS GLOBALLY

TORONTO, March 1, 2022 /CNW/ - Coors Light today announced it will eliminate plastic rings from packaging globally, where Molson Coors owns brewing operations, and is set to become the largest beer brand in North America to move away from plastic rings. To support the move to more sustainable packaging, Molson Coors Beverage Company (NYSE: TAP) will invest $85 million, enabling Coors Light to begin the transition to fully recyclable and sustainably sourced cardboard-wrap carriers later this year.

The Molson Coors investment will upgrade packaging machinery, which will also allow the company's entire North American portfolio of brands to advance to cardboard wrap carriers by the end of 2025. In total, the move by Molson Coors will save 1.7 million pounds of plastic waste annually. In 2021, Molson Coors removed plastic rings across all major brands sold in the United Kingdom, including Coors and Carling, and transitioned to recyclable cardboard sleeves. Molson Coors in Canada moved to more sustainable plastic rings in 2021 as an initial step, and as part of today's announcement commits to eliminate plastic rings entirely.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:38 pm https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c ... 26250.html

:snippity:
Now they need to eliminate the dirty dish water they call beer.....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:52 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:38 pm https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c ... 26250.html

:snippity:
Now they need to eliminate the dirty dish water they call beer.....
I was waiting for that! :biggrin:

Return to “General Stuff”