Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Uninformed

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Uninformed »

Long article:
“In the pandemic, hundreds of Chinese migrants who lost their jobs moved to a remote city on the Navajo Nation Indian reservation in New Mexico, to do what they thought was legal agricultural work. Instead, they and the local Native community found themselves pitted against one another in a bizarre cautionary tale about the boom in cannabis production in the US, and the impact on Asian migrant labourers.”

“Chinese dreams on Native American land: A tale of cannabis boom and bust”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56835897
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Hidden Content
Um, out of my price range.... and its not even a stand alone home.OMgosh.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 pm
We ate franks and beans for years so we could afford the mortgage on less than half the current asking price. This market is INSANE. But I’m not complaining.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:35 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 pm
We ate franks and beans for years so we could afford the mortgage on less than half the current asking price. This market is INSANE. But I’m not complaining.
:clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely! HGTV worthy. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

At that price does it come with a butler and maid... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rat-crisis
An animal shelter in Chicago has released 1,000 feral cats throughout the city to combat a rat crisis.

Through a program called Cats at Work, the Tree House Humane Society, a local animal shelter, releases feral felines on to city streets. The initiative places two to three cats, all spayed, neutered and vaccinated, outside of residences and businesses to sustainably deal with Chicago’s rodent problem.

Cat jumps from fifth-floor of burning Chicago building, bounces once and runs away
Read more

The cats are animals that “would not thrive in a shelter or home environment” and are usually subject to long stays in animal control centers or euthanization, according to the non-profit’s website.

While the deployed felines will sometimes kill rats, the mere presence of these repurposed alley cats is usually enough to scare off pests. About 1,000 cats have now been released since 2012, as reported by WGN9, a local media station.

Local homeowners or businesses can sign up for the program, as long as they cover food, water and shelter for the cats. The popular program currently has a “long waitlist”, as stated on its website.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Hidden Content
Very nice. Three story walk up, 2400sf, with courtyard in back, and balcony upstairs. What year was it built?

The market is nuts everywhere. Our golf pro neighbor has been scouting Phoenix, and came back sticker shocked. Like us, she got in around 1989. $29K for 1400sf ranch on a quarter acre. Now they are worth just under $200K. Taxes are assessed on the purchase price landing at $600/yr. It's paid for. The cost of utilities (water, elec, garbage, phone/internet, cable) and upkeep is minimal. We can live here for under $500/mo. We'd be foolish to move after retirement. I like zero debt.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 pm
Very nice. Three story walk up, 2400sf, with courtyard in back, and balcony upstairs. What year was it built?

The market is nuts everywhere. Our golf pro neighbor has been scouting Phoenix, and came back sticker shocked. Like us, she got in around 1989. $29K for 1400sf ranch on a quarter acre. Now they are worth just under $200K. Taxes are assessed on the purchase price landing at $600/yr. It's paid for. The cost of utilities (water, elec, garbage, phone/internet, cable) and upkeep is minimal. We can live here for under $500/mo. We'd be foolish to move after retirement. I like zero debt.
Built in 1999. We are original owners. Property tax on this postage stamp is twice what we pay on 18 acres at our new house (which we bought for just over half of what we’ll get for this place). I’m with you on the zero debt. We had the townhouse paid off, then took some equity out to buy the new house. We’ll be back to zero debt when this house sells.
duck dodgers
Verified: ✅ Until 23,500

Post by duck dodgers »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:08 am
Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm
It’s so you can’t deny them access to come in and get their routers and set top boxes if you do terminate. And if you call to complain about an outage, you have to let them in so they can fix it.

And the key is reasonableness.
Correct. IANAL, but I've put clauses like that in many of our agreements. It's boiler plate. You are agreeing to give consent if access to their equipment is requested. They retain ownership of all equipment used to access their service. Customers are just renting it. By signing up for their service, you are agreeing to allow a representative that asks to be on your property, or to come into your premises, to service that equipment. You are not giving them blanket access to your home or property. Neither are you granting a right of way. Refusing them entry upon request during normal business hours can be grounds for service termination.

The language indemnifies them from providing service. There are customers that want magical repairs. Customers want their cable TV to work, but they don't want to let you inside to figure out the problem. If you refuse them at the door, the cable company can cut service, and not be worried about why your cable isn't working. They have a bazillion of those boxes. They aren't too worried about getting them back. There's a good chance they would just go to e-waste anyway. Somewhere in the agreement is a clause that allows them to charge you the replacement value should you not surrender the equipment.
Thanks for the details, bill_g. Makes sense.
"You can syndicate any boat you row"
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Nice place, maybenaut. I especially like the back deck. IIRC, we* “met” you while you were putting the backsplash in the kitchen!

A townhouse like that, with that beautiful deck, not to mention its own dalik, would probably be 100k+ more here in LA. I predict it won’t be on the market long. 🤗 Very colonial, reminds me of Alexandria townhouses.

💋

* Fogbow peeps
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

noblepa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:26 am
Volkonski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:45 am
CBS News
@CBSNews
A massive, full-scale replica of the Titanic is under construction in China. The ship will offer a “five-star cruise service” once opened but will remain stationary, as it's landlocked.
Well, no worries about sinking then. :thumbsup:
Someone (an Australian, I think) is trying to build an actual, operating replica, to be called Titanic II. It will be externally very similar to the original, but will have modern mechanicals and passenger amenities. So far, they haven't, to my knowledge, begun construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II
Hah. Clive Palmer is on the nose in Australia and he wouldn't be able to get funding for a project like that.

He has sent everything he has touched into bankruptcy (like a certain cheeto we all know and love) but seems to walk away with enough dosh (by skipping out on his legal responsibilities to pay out the entitlements of the workers he that lost their jobs) to go tilting at windmills by pretending to run for Parliament (he actually got in by accident once), spending gazillions on antigovernment ads, and suing over 'oppressive' pandemic measures .
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

From the Department of Narcissism comes this online AI that find all the images of You-You-You that are on the web.

I keep a very small digital footprint, but it correctly found an image of me at Classmates dot com that I uploaded eons ago in less than two seconds using a recent badge picture I submitted to the gummint. It also found a bunch of pictures of Not-Me from mugshots, Facebook, etc. They were similar. So, for people who have been lavish with their social media, here's a way to review it all.
Attachments
02avi-wbg.jpg
02avi-wbg.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So #2 son Alex Bob Todd whatever his name is starts his new job at an electrical parts warehouse on Monday. The email says to "report to a gentleman who goes by K2". :?

I told him to go in there and say "I'm looking for the second highest mountain on the planet." That will fool them into thinking he's a smart guy with a sense of humor, or if they don't get the reference then they're dumb and who cares. The guy is probably 6' 9" tall, that's why he goes by the name of a tall mountain.

'Course, if he turns out to be Karl Koenigs, I'll tell him to quit and we'll find something else. :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://apnews.com/article/az-state-wir ... SocialFlow
Bear has close call on utility poles in Arizona border city
DOUGLAS, Ariz. (AP) — Residents of an Arizona border city were left in disbelief by a surprise visit from a bear.

The Arizona Game & Fish Department said the bear appeared Sunday in downtown Douglas.

Bolder than your average bear, the animal climbed up two utility poles and even sat on the wires at one point.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am So #2 son Alex Bob Todd whatever his name is starts his new job at an electrical parts warehouse on Monday. The email says to "report to a gentleman who goes by K2". :?
"K2" -- is this from a sci-fi flick that maybe I've seen? :?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No.

K2 really is the second highest mountain on the planet, behind Mt. Everest.

However, Alex Bob Todd whatever his name is correctly informs me that in fact, K2 is also the name of a type of synthetic marijuana.

And he thinks they'll be much more favorably impressed, on his very first day in a new job, if he walks into an electrical parts warehouse and says "I'm looking for synthetic marijuana" rather than "I'm looking for the second highest mountain on the planet."

Kids today, I tells ya. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

That looks like Alvin Kamara's training routine.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The last video I saw like that had a dog in it. :cantlook:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I like self-made obstacle courses. Sadly, my old bones could not navigate one.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I wonder how many times he had to try before he got it all? So many places to crash and burn.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:42 pm I wonder how many times he had to try before he got it all? So many places to crash and burn.
I'm thinking not many re-takes. That final back-flip is impressive -- he's got his moves.

Return to “General Stuff”