Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Have you ever come to the sudden realization that you really do not like a coworker?

I spent time in a meeting with my boss and someone else on the team going over a process flow Ted had made. First: not formatted according to standards, but that is an easy (if tedious) fix. Second: process steps were lumped together that should have been separated.

I made notes during the meeting, created a brand new work flow, and sent it back over to the boss, who forwarded it to relevant parties.

Ted sends a message back with a new flow attached, but using his old one and not the one I created.

This guy is an analyst that will not listen when other people are giving information. Then goes off on his own little happy path as if nobody said anything at all.

Drives me bonkers. Now, there is a meeting with him this afternoon that I will have to resist the urge to tell him to shut up and listen for the 50th time. And not so nicely this time.

::End rant::
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I have the same problem. I keep telling my boss to quit making the view from my "desk" so beautiful. It's too distracting. But they never listen. :)
Attachments
20210913_Hebo.jpg
20210913_Hebo.jpg (428.6 KiB) Viewed 823 times
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Wow, bill_g, the things people have to do to earning a living! (On the other hand, if I had to drive the roads that you drive, I would be sitting in a corner gibbering. I love the mountains, but fortunately my partner does the driving.)
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

FiveAcres wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:01 am Wow, bill_g, the things people have to do to earning a living! (On the other hand, if I had to drive the roads that you drive, I would be sitting in a corner gibbering. I love the mountains, but fortunately my partner does the driving.)
Ha! I am going to miss this. If my retirement stays on schedule (June 2022), I won't be on this hilltop next year. I won't have to maintain that site, and I won't have to drive through 20 miles of thick to reach it.
Attachments
20210913_Hebo tower.jpg
20210913_Hebo tower.jpg (259.31 KiB) Viewed 809 times
20210913_Hebo thick.jpg
20210913_Hebo thick.jpg (273.35 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Centralized planning? This just triggered my memory of a tourist travel to Laos a quarter of a century ago. One day was reserved for a day trip out of the capital Vientiane. The tour guide showed me a local iron foundry along the way. We westerners would call it a mom-and-pop shop by size, but of ourse it was government run. The story that stuck in my mind is this: some project somewhere in the country required iron pipes, so they requested that resource from the ministry. The ministry told them that there were no iron pipes available, wait for the next five year plan. The ministry scheduled the production of iron pipes, but not just the tens the project requested, but somewhere in the hundreds, cause once done they can be called from stock. So some time during that five year plan a batch of iron pipes got produced after allocation of ore and coal. The project was told they could now build whatever they had planned many years ago. The project received the number of pipes they had requested. And the remainder of the stock was piled up in the yard. Of course open, it's only iron. Like open in a tropical hot humid climate is good for plain iron. So the years went by and nobody needed pipes of said size. And the rust gnawed on the pipes. And the pipes grew thinner. And one day the ministry allocated a number of pipes of that stock to a new project. And the administrator of the foundry didn't remember to have ever seen any pipes. The ministry got angry believeing that the foundry had embezelled the stock. A police crew showed up, a search for the product was started. Somewhere in a corner under thick lush greenery some remains were found, paper thin and rusted holes. The foundry had never been allowed to recycle the unused pipes, smelt them down for a different product :cantlook:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Not just central planning that leaves unfinished towers sitting around. Just looked at Vegas (or, for that matter, the big giant hole in Chicago that was supposed to be the big giant screw).
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We read a book for the Fogbow Book Club (may its archives RIP) that I remember as JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy. I remember I hated it and I never finished it.

Does anyone remember this? If it wasn’t Vance’s book which one was it?

This could also go into the Getting Old Sucks thread. ;)
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

I am now learning how to be a RW "digital soldier/citizen journalist" for a mere $13US on udemy from Michael Knight. funny thing, all his "research hunting is all social media. and if i work it correctly, I can monetize on rumble, bitchute, youtube...
the course is not worth the regular price of $89US
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:22 pm Does anyone remember this? If it wasn’t Vance’s book which one was it?
Think it was Deer Hunting With Jesus.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:22 pm We read a book for the Fogbow Book Club (may its archives RIP) that I remember as JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy. I remember I hated it and I never finished it.

Does anyone remember this? If it wasn’t Vance’s book which one was it?

This could also go into the Getting Old Sucks thread. ;)
I hated it. It oozes fakeness. Someday may elaborate.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s the very one. That was my opinion, too.

Elaborate away, at your leisure. ;)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hay! Look! Is that you, Sugaree? How are you?
Our newest member Sugaree
Have you seen Zeke?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:02 pm That’s the very one. That was my opinion, too.

One detail that struck me as fake was when he said someone suggested to him that he apply to Yale Law School on the “second round” of applications. I don’t recall law school applications happening in rounds. You apply; you get in or you don’t. I think it’s unlikely in the extreme that he didn’t get in *anywhere* the first time around, but did get into Yale later. And someone suggested to him, Hey, Dude, how ‘bout Yale? Bullshit.

I don’t know what happened. He did go to Yale; I don’t doubt that. I went to a middle-tier law school, and some of my classmates transferred to better schools after the first year. I think that’s a possibility, and actually makes more sense to me than applying to other schools but not going, and then later applying and getting in to a top school.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:02 pm That’s the very one. That was my opinion, too.

One detail that struck me as fake was when he said someone suggested to him that he apply to Yale Law School on the “second round” of applications. I don’t recall law school applications happening in rounds. You apply; you get in or you don’t. :snippity:
I was rejected by Georgetown Law School. The people who supported me, including high level successful graduates from that school, got me into the "second round." So yes, there are 2nd rounds. At the time I was a (local) leader in reproductive rights. Denied again, nor surprised.

Surprisingly, Catholic University snatched me up immediately. It has a history of civil rights. My only problem there was with the Constitutional Law professor. Of course, he called on me re Roe vs Wade and ranted. A lot. I told him that his problem was with SCOTUS and not with me. Nonetheless, he docked me 5 points and gave 5 points to all the other students. And recently I saw that he's still ranting....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Nonetheless, he docked me 5 points and gave 5 points to all the other students.
Evil. :smokeears:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, the autumnal equinox is a week from today, and sure enough, the weather is deteriorating by the day. It's not even going up to 90° today (OK, 87°)! I want my summer back! :violin: :crying:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Speaking of Roe v Wade, being in rural OR, yesterday I heard Roe being applied as a supporting arguement against gummint vax mandates.

!
tek

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:25 am Oh man, the autumnal equinox is a week from today, and sure enough, the weather is deteriorating by the day. It's not even going up to 90° today (OK, 87°)! I want my summer back! :violin: :crying:
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (134.81 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:25 am Oh man, the autumnal equinox is a week from today, and sure enough, the weather is deteriorating by the day. It's not even going up to 90° today (OK, 87°)! I want my summer back! :violin: :crying:
Well, next time get yourself born on a planet that isn't tilted 23.5 degrees. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is there a jury in WI who can resist this face? I think
Not.

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OMG, that's the most unfierce red panda in the world. I already named him 'Buttercup'.

That animal is so cute! ❤️
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kansas boy’s insect entry at state fair wins prize – and triggers federal inquiry
Creature was a dead spotted lanternfly – an invasive moth-like bug that has been causing massive damage to plants in eastern states

Alexandra Villarreal in Austin
Wed 15 Sep 2021 19.15 BST

A young contestant’s proud entry at the Kansas state fair caused a flap when a judge saw the specimen submitted in the boy’s exhibition box – and it prompted a federal investigation.

The show item was a dead spotted lanternfly the boy had discovered at his home – an invasive moth-like bug that has been causing massive damage to plants in US eastern states but had not previously been thought to have reached Kansas.

The boy won a prize at the fair and correctly identified the insect but the creature itself was flagged for attention by the US Department of Agriculture’s animal and plant health inspection service. The agency will now investigate how the invasive species made it to Kansas, the Hutchinson News reported.

Since arriving in Pennsylvania, probably via a shipping container from Asia, spotted lanternflies have ravaged the US north-east in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... estigation
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I haven't seen one here yet, but the rule is, "See one, kill one." Then report it to the state.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”