Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:09 am I renewed my license online. They used the photo that was on my expired license. It was extremely easy.
I did this the other day. Easy-peasy but not Real ID compliant. But I don’t care about that. I have a passport.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

When I lived in Washington state you had to go to the DMV for your driver's license and the one time we used their services we were there for half a day. However, titles, registrations and tags were handled by 3rd-party contract facilities and we had one close to our house that was quick and efficient. I rarely spent more than 15 minutes in there. When we left three years ago plate renewals were around $80.

Here in Indiana we have to go the BMV for everything and it's always slow. The quickest trip was while they were taking appointments right after they reopened from COVID and that was still an hour. Here in anti-tax Indiana we get hit with an excise tax every year in addition to the cost of the tags. It cost me close to $500 to renew the tags on my Outback last November.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:39 am
p.s. I would have loved a mention @ extension for that line above.
Huh?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:22 pm
Huh?
Mentions (they usually use the @ symbol) on things like Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft Teams chats, JIRA (project/tech/development management software), and even Gmail now, allow you to mention somebody so they can get a notification. This is helpful if you might want the to chime in but they may not be paying attention to that threat, or if you don't want to quote/reply to an earlier post. Obviously, you check enough that it was unnecessary.
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:22 pm
Huh?
Mentions (they usually use the @ symbol) on things like Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft Teams chats, JIRA (project/tech/development management software), and even Gmail now, allow you to mention somebody so they can get a notification. This is helpful if you might want the to chime in but they may not be paying attention to that threat, or if you don't want to quote/reply to an earlier post. Obviously, you check enough that it was unnecessary.
I know what a mention is. I just wasn’t sure whether you wanted me to mention you, and what the comment was I should’ve attributed to you. If I dissed you I’m sorry. :oopsy: I just try not to copy the entire thread.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wowee. What fun.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:46 pmWow!
FIFY
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MsDaisy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm
FIFY
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:54 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm
FIFY
:thumbsup:
Wow indeed! :shock:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm I know what a mention is. I just wasn’t sure whether you wanted me to mention you, and what the comment was I should’ve attributed to you. If I dissed you I’m sorry. :oopsy: I just try not to copy the entire thread.
Oh dear... no apology needed. That ps was just an afterthought after I had asked if you were still in the DMV line. Using a mention feature would have been useful there.

On a side note, are you still in line at the DMV? :eek:
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm I know what a mention is. I just wasn’t sure whether you wanted me to mention you, and what the comment was I should’ve attributed to you. If I dissed you I’m sorry. :oopsy: I just try not to copy the entire thread.
Oh dear... no apology needed. That ps was just an afterthought after I had asked if you were still in the DMV line. Using a mention feature would have been useful there.

On a side note, are you still in line at the DMV? :eek:
Oh! That was just a joke! I wasn’t in the DMV line. Zeke said my number was (whatever he said), and I just went along. That’s the down-side of text-based conversations - it’s hard to tell sometimes when people are just messing around.

:cantlook: :bag: :lol:
Lani

Post by Lani »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:49 pm

:yeahthat:

She deserves all the honors. All the hugs.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:36 am

Quote of the year: "You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy."
Thanks. Now I finally have a signature.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

All aboard! I can't remember how to start a topic, so lazy me will put this here for now. Train Travel.

You can travel ten segments anywhere in the US over 30 days! I may dig out my backpack.

"The passes are available on all Amtrak Trains nationwide except three lines: the high-speed Acela, Auto Train, and the Maple Leaf that travels to Canada. After purchasing your pass, passengers can book each segment of their trip on Amtrak.com or the Amtrak mobile app. The thirty-day clock starts ticking from your first trip, and it is free to change and reschedule future legs of the trip before any scheduled departure as long as it is within the thirty-day pass period."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/amp/Amtra ... 241871.php
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:00 am All aboard! I can't remember how to start a topic, so lazy me will put this here for now. Train Travel.

You can travel ten segments anywhere in the US over 30 days! I may dig out my backpack.

"The passes are available on all Amtrak Trains nationwide except three lines: the high-speed Acela, Auto Train, and the Maple Leaf that travels to Canada. After purchasing your pass, passengers can book each segment of their trip on Amtrak.com or the Amtrak mobile app. The thirty-day clock starts ticking from your first trip, and it is free to change and reschedule future legs of the trip before any scheduled departure as long as it is within the thirty-day pass period."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/amp/Amtra ... 241871.php
I did the rail pass thing with my grandfather when I was about 15. It made memories with him that I will never forget. Also, I had no idea how freaking cold it could get in San Francisco in July.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What an awesome grandfather! I'm curious where you went.

I find the Amtrak website awful. I've decided to commit, but to book legs of the trip, I'd really like a nation-wide map to plan. I know that it is ridiculous to some, but I'm a paper map gal - my wanderings in Central and South America were haphazard Lonely Planet guided.

I've never been west, and would particularly like to hit the Pacific NW. Other thoughts are (with 30 days) time first head east to NY, then backtrack and head in west. I need paper! 🤪
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I wonder if I can buy multiple 30-day passes, and activate them subsequently. Just ride the rails for months.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 am I wonder if I can buy multiple 30-day passes, and activate them subsequently. Just ride the rails for months.
I might just start a thread on train travel. We are headed out West next week for three weeks + a few days. It will be four days on trains total coming and going. We are hitting national parks in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado.

We love train travel. And I would agree that website is really hard to navigate. I call to make reservations. It's easier.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 am What an awesome grandfather! I'm curious where you went.

I find the Amtrak website awful. I've decided to commit, but to book legs of the trip, I'd really like a nation-wide map to plan. I know that it is ridiculous to some, but I'm a paper map gal - my wanderings in Central and South America were haphazard Lonely Planet guided.

I've never been west, and would particularly like to hit the Pacific NW. Other thoughts are (with 30 days) time first head east to NY, then backtrack and head in west. I need paper! 🤪
When we did it, you didn't have to tell them where you were going, you just got on and off where ever you felt like. We went from here to NOLA then west to San Antonio, Phoenix, and LA. Then north to San Francisco and Portland, then back east and down to Denver. Over to St Louis and Memphis, then back home. We used 29 of our 31 days on the passes. Some places we got off the train for the day and got back on another one that night, and some days we got off the train and stayed a night or 2 in whichever town we were in. We had no real itinerary and we were just as likely to head off someplace new based on what time the train was running rather than where it was going.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:27 am
Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 am What an awesome grandfather! I'm curious where you went.

When we did it, you didn't have to tell them where you were going, you just got on and off where ever you felt like. We went from here to NOLA then west to San Antonio, Phoenix, and LA. Then north to San Francisco and Portland, then back east and down to Denver. Over to St Louis and Memphis, then back home. We used 29 of our 31 days on the passes. Some places we got off the train for the day and got back on another one that night, and some days we got off the train and stayed a night or 2 in whichever town we were in. We had no real itinerary and we were just as likely to head off someplace new based on what time the train was running rather than where it was going.
That's aweome!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:02 pm
tek wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:52 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:46 pm So, Imma going try my new headphones.
What is the opening track you've chosen?
like,duh. R.E.M., of course. "It's the End of the World as we Know It.."
Well, these are the most amazing headphones I've ever owned. When I'm wearing them, I can't hear anything outside and are so soft and comfy. The bass is deep and the dynamic range is awesome. $60.
Coupled with a Windows app (Boom 3D), they are perfect for my music!

As an aside to those being critical of me spending that much on headphones. I have hearing loss -- since 5 years old -- which disqualified me from all branches of the military. Don't be too quick to judge.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Sounds :biggrin: like you found a really great deal.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:44 pm Sounds :biggrin: like you found a really great deal.
They are awesome. If you've ever had a proper hearing test (in a sound proof booth) -- these headphones remind me of the type they use -- and I've had many, many hearing tests over my years.

Return to “General Stuff”