Hijack This Thread

jcolvin2
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: At the time, Bosch dishwashers had leak detection so that's what we ended up with. I ordered a new dishwasher for this house before we took possession and had it installed a couple of days after we moved in.

I think all the Bosch dishwashers have leak detection now and some models from other manufacturers do as well. I think you can get leak detecting hoses as well, but the dishwashers go a step further by pumping all the water out of the tub. If you're going to have to replace the dishwasher, it's something to consider.
We just bought a new dishwasher last week. We happened to pick a Bosch model. We may have stumbled into buying the right brand.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm Woke up this morning to floods and power outages…inside our house. :shock:

There’s a leak in sprouts bathroom upstairs. More accurately, there’s a leak in the pipe above the den. We now have a bubble ceiling with steady drips. Sprout came in at 6 to tell me it’s raining in the den. 😄 I turned off the water to his bathroom and the drips are tapering off but it’s ugly and unstable and I can’t find a plumber who can come before tomorrow.

After that, I went into the kitchen to get COFFEE. Why are my socks wet? I just looked at the ceiling leak, I wasn’t anywhere near it. I looked down. Water all over the kitchen floor from the dishwasher which we always run at bedtime.

Took off wet socks, went into living room to grab stack of towels I’d folded the night before, flipped light switch… no light.

Shit. I was going to get a new laptop today.
Water in the walls, two leaks in one night, and lights that don't work ... I would be very careful.
tek

Post by tek »

In my younger days, KitchenAid was the go-to brand for dishwashers.
In the mid-90's I bought a KitchenAid "IC Series" dishwasher, which was actually a rebranded Bosch.. it was on clearance, discontinued. When we remodeled the kitchen in the mid-2000s I gave it to a friend, and as far as I know it is still running.

I've bought Bosch dishwashers ever since.

We currently have a Samsung dishwasher that came with the house, and it is an absolute piece of junk (like the Samsung refrigerator and the Samsung cooktop)
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've replaced 4 bargain basement GE and Whirlpool dishwashers over the last 25 years. The first two were replaced with KitchenAid and the last two with Bosch. This latest Bosch is so quiet that it has an LED that shines on the floor to let you know it's running. Most of the time you only hear it when it's draining. The newer Bosch is just slightly behind the one in Seattle as far as cleaning but I think that's because of our water quality here. I have a joke that our village water source is an abandoned gravel pit west of town that's filtered through a giant Mr. Coffee filter. While it technically meets requirements it's basically undrinkable. I need a water softener but to get it on both the hot and cold lines I need to run a loop halfway across my finished basement ceiling. I'm thinking about installing one on just the hot water line which would help some.

As for Samsung appliances my advice is to not even look at them. They have a limited service network and parts can be difficult to get at times. My dad bought a Samsung fridge around 5 years ago and, luckily, he actually bought the extended warranty. It was a nice fridge when it worked properly which wasn't very often. It was so bad that Sears (or whoever did their extended warranty) offered to buy him out at the full cost of the fridge so they could get it off their books. He now has a GE that's been extremely reliable.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

In addition to the Bosch dishwasher, we also purchased a Fisher & Paykel refrigerator and a Miele induction range/oven. (The dishwasher, fridge and range are scheduled to be installed in mid-November.) I would be interested to know if any Fogbowzers have had experience with those brands. I have never owned any of them.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My brother is an architect in NYC and uses Miele washers and dryers in a lot of his apartment renovations (they're fairly compact) and the feedback he gets is that they've been pretty reliable. Miele is a good brand overall. I don't know much about F&P.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I needed to buy a new vacuum cleaner this past month and I seriously looked at a Miele vacuum cleaner. They have an excellent reputation. They just are expensive as all get out, so I ended up buying a Shark vacuum from Costco because of how Costco stands behind their products. And the price.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

jcolvin2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:01 pm In addition to the Bosch dishwasher, we also purchased a Fisher & Paykel refrigerator and a Miele induction range/oven. (The dishwasher, fridge and range are scheduled to be installed in mid-November.) I would be interested to know if any Fogbowzers have had experience with those brands. I have never owned any of them.
We had a Meile washer and dryer. Right after the warranty ran out, the circuit board on the washer crapped out. That was a $750 repair. A year later something else happened (can’t remember what - had to do with the drum), and the repairman said it couldn’t be fixed. It was great when it worked.

We’ve had great luck with Bosch dishwashers. We have frigidaire induction ranges in our main house and the cabin, and Whirlpool refrigerators in both.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Photos from ‘beyond the grave’: camera discovery reveals climber’s last images before fatal avalanche
Two decades ago Richard Stiles escaped an avalanche in New Zealand, but friend Steve Robinson wasn’t so lucky. Now the mountain has given up some of its secrets

by Tory Shepherd
Wed 1 Sep 2021 18.30 BST

When mountaineer Chris Hill found a backpack with an old camera in it on the Hooker Glacier – an 11km chunk of ice on New Zealand’s South Island – he was intrigued and decided to get the film inside developed.

Hooker is at the base of Aoraki (Mount Cook), in a national park of icy peaks where hundreds of climbers have died, dozens of them never to be found.

Hill wanted to know whose pack he held, so he took the photos – grainy and vintage-looking – to the police and to New Zealand’s Land Search and Rescue. Eventually, he posted them on Facebook, hoping the mountaineering community could solve the mystery of the pack and the camera.

The photos were shared and finally the mystery was solved. The mountain had given up one of its many secrets.

One of the men in the photos, with a big grin and long wavy hair, turned out to be 29-year-old Steve Robinson, the pictures taken in 1997 just before he was killed and buried by an avalanche.

Twenty-four years ago, Robinson and his friend Richard Stiles were having a breather on the side of the mountain when an enormous block of ice crashed into the snow and set off an avalanche. Stiles leaped out of the way and survived, but could see no sign of Robinson – or his backpack.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -avalanche
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

The US Attorneys in Fairbanks had a long day.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Not good, except only that the terrorist was stopped in 60 seconds

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09- ... /100432350

New Zealand police have shot and killed a "violent extremist" who was known to the police, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, after he stabbed and wounded at least six people in a supermarket in the city of Auckland.

Key points:

Ms Ardern said the man had been "a person of interest" for at least five years
Police shot the man after he entered a New Lynn supermarket and wounded at least six people
Three people are in a critical condition and one serious
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Better news for NZ

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09- ... /100431896

New Zealand has reported 28 new cases of COVID-19, a big drop compared to the last few days, as authorities said the country was breaking the chain of transmission of the highly infectious Delta variant of coronavirus.

Key points:

Authorities say the current outbreak could have a "long tail"
Around 1.7 million people in Auckland remain in strict lockdown
New Zealand's vaccine rollout is the slowest in the OECD
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

There are so many wickedly, sarcastic, funny and clever members on TFB. My personal preference would that those talents be used in posts and not in thread titles.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm Woke up this morning to floods and power outages…inside our house. :shock:

There’s a leak in sprouts bathroom upstairs. More accurately, there’s a leak in the pipe above the den. We now have a bubble ceiling with steady drips. Sprout came in at 6 to tell me it’s raining in the den. 😄 I turned off the water to his bathroom and the drips are tapering off but it’s ugly and unstable and I can’t find a plumber who can come before tomorrow.

After that, I went into the kitchen to get COFFEE. Why are my socks wet? I just looked at the ceiling leak, I wasn’t anywhere near it. I looked down. Water all over the kitchen floor from the dishwasher which we always run at bedtime.

Took off wet socks, went into living room to grab stack of towels I’d folded the night before, flipped light switch… no light.

Shit. I was going to get a new laptop today.
UPDATE:
Sprout’s terlet, on the third floor, has apparently had a slow leak for a while and finally gave up altogether. When the plumber started snaking the toilet pipes, ghastly black ugh so much ugh bubbled up through the shower drain with an ungodly smell. Dear dog, I never want to smell that again. :sick: I spent yesterday moving furniture, following the plumbers around and trying to keep Floyd the Pug from untying their shoe laces every chance he got. We have dehumidifiers up inside the walls, in sprout’s bathroom and in the den under the hole in the ceiling.

The power outage in the living room turned out to be a circuit breaker - fixed. I haven’t found the exact reason for the dishwasher not draining but Mr520 vacuumed the standing water out of the bottom and I was able to run it successfully last night. He’ll take the hoses apart when he has time to see if they’re clogged - right now he’s a little busy getting the 2” of water out of his man cave and saving as many guitars and papers as possible. It’s possible his double neck is a goner. :? We aren’t sure where exactly the water in the basement came from. Our friend German is checking that out now.

Silver linings: I can finally trash that rug I hated without guilt. The den in its rearranged form works better. Mr520 is not going boating for the Labor Day Weekend, after all.

Oh, and I still got my new iPad since it’s an early birthday present. Delivered. I feel so… 1%. 12.9” iPad with a Magic Keyboard™. I love it, it combines the best of an iPad and a laptop - touchscreen + a keyboard that actually keeps up with me.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Thanks to all who responded to my query about appliances. My delivery/installation date is November 17, 2021. I am excited to be getting essentially a brand new kitchen.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm sorry about the water problems, Phoenix. My daughter is going through the same mess, minus the toilet issues. They had roofing work done not long ago, and a few weeks ago (right before they left for LA for a week), they found a problem with a wall and the ceiling in the living room. While they were gone, we went over frequently to check on it. It got gradually worse, but didn't seem too bad. When they got back, they got the roofing company out, and have been playing with fixes ever since. They have a 110-year-old house. The damage is on all three floors, ceilings and walls. They are covered, but it's a real mess, with thousands of dollars of damages.

Good luck!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:12 pm I'm sorry about the water problems, Phoenix. My daughter is going through the same mess, minus the toilet issues.
Needless to say, that implies that your pug was running around trying to untie your plumbers' shoelaces too also. :blackeye:

Or you would have mentioned it, you see. :lol:

Dogs are so smart. That's a really friendly thing to do, untie the shoelaces for a welcomed guest and invite them to sit down and settle in. Dog says: "Don't mind me, I'll just be chewing your shoes over here behind the chair where nobody can see me, thanks."
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Sitting here it’s dawned on me that I’m feeling like a boxer who’s taken too many punches to the head. Is there no end to the craziness and alternative reality currently afflicting the US? I now remember the balmy (barmy?) days of the MNWR occupation as a time of comparative sanity. I was not around during the beginning and main stages of the birther farrago, so am not aware to what extent the nonsense prevailed nationally.

Perhaps someone with a longer history of following the various forms of loons at large could establish the equivalent of the doomsday clock approximating the level of insanity over the last ten years or so. I think it currently stands at some time after midnight.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The birthers were as unshakable as the spreadnecks and those who think the election was stolen. None of those people are ever going to change their minds, no matter how much evidence you show them.

On the other hand, nobody died from being a birther (or 9/11 truther, or moon landing hoaxer, etc.). People are dying every day because they think only Democrats and liberals and communists take the vaccine, and by gum if that means their own child will die, they'll just have to see the kid when they get to heaven themselves, by and by.

And the spreadnecks, especially the evangelists among them, are so dead-set in their ways, they're just never going to take the vaccine, no way no how no justice no peace no vegetables no dessert no shoes no shirt no service no woman no cry.

You saw it in Alabama: They BOOED TFA rather than sit and listen to him suggest that they get vaccinated. That horsie done left the barn.

So in some ways, this is even worse than birtherism. Hard to tell which movement is more widespread ... :smoking:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 pm There are so many wickedly, sarcastic, funny and clever members on TFB. My personal preference would that those talents be used in posts and not in thread titles.
I agree. Thread titles should be five words or less.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A dozen quarts of marinara jarred and set.

The romas did real well this year. I harvested about ten pounds. Mrs spent Friday cooking them down with celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. The house smelled wonderful when I got home yesterday. They got a night in the fridge for the flavors tofully infuse. This morning the batch was canned with some leftover for dinner.

Yummy stuff.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

YUM!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Recommend you follow Rachel Vindman. She is awesome.

tek

Post by tek »

Watching "Worth" on Netflix.

Have seen Ken Feinberg talk. Ken Feinberg is the real deal.

gotta watch the rest..
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm not sure where to put this, but I definitely have to share it. :lol:

Return to “General Stuff”