Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:49 pm Just got this text from Fairfax County:
Fairfax County Fire and Police are currently handling an incident involving an individual who has climbed a power transmission line. Power has been shut off and will remain off for an undetermined amount of time. Power will be restored as soon as possible.
:shock:
Some people have no manners. Or they need psychiatric assistance. I hope it's a knucklehead teen that is just fine ... stupid, but fine.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Not a panhandler to be found a year ago 02906
Attachments
02906.jpg
02906.jpg (320.92 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Happy Mother's day to all the Fogbow Moms! I get a double whammy because it's my birthday today too and both my boys & families are coming for a cookout this afternoon! It should be very jolly :dance:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Have a mother of a birfday, MsDaisy! 🎂
Image Image Image Image
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am Happy Mother's day to all the Fogbow Moms! I get a double whammy because it's my birthday today too and both my boys & families are coming for a cookout this afternoon! It should be very jolly :dance:
Hopefully you don't have to cook your own BD and MD dinner.

OTOH, if you're like Mrs_G, they would have to tape your arms to your side to prevent you from taking over the kitchen. :)
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

bill_g wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:06 am Hopefully you don't have to cook your own BD and MD dinner.

OTOH, if you're like Mrs_G, they would have to tape your arms to your side to prevent you from taking over the kitchen. :)
:lol: In the kitchen I'm the same but the grill belongs to MrD
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am :lol: In the kitchen I'm the same but the grill belongs to MrD
MrNeon does the grilling too (well, I'm the only one here so that's by default :lol: ). One of the things I did during the pandemic was ditch my propane grill and invested/upgraded to a decent grill that also has a rotisserie and smoker box. Then I had to have a couple of my Brazilian friends show me the right way to grill (Brazilians are experts at marble/granite/tile fabrication and install ... and BBQ). I can now make Picanha that's passable. :biggrin:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Happy Mother's Day to all the Fogbow Mamas! :bighug: :kiss:

Parenting (of even adult kiddos) must have been overwhelming for those who are parents. Cheers to y'all!
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:49 pm Just got this text from Fairfax County:
Fairfax County Fire and Police are currently handling an incident involving an individual who has climbed a power transmission line. Power has been shut off and will remain off for an undetermined amount of time. Power will be restored as soon as possible.
Any update, Maybenaut?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

LM K wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:51 pm
Any update, Maybenaut?
Me too. What's up? I can't find anything online at all... :confuzzled: We are talking Fairfax County, VA, right?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Yeah, Virginia. No update. Haven’t received any more alerts and wasn’t able to find anything online.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Me: I always wanted to do a riverboat cruise up the locks on the Thames.. Milke obviously wanted too as well.. just couldn't work out how to move the paddles and work the valves...

Stranded baby whale rescued from River Thames in London

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-10/ ... /100129066

Rescue crews in London have managed to free a small whale that had become stranded in the River Thames and guide it to safety.

Key points:
Rescue workers freed what is believed to be a baby minke whale from the River Thames
It took crews four hours to free the mammal, which measured between three and four metres long
Vets checked the baby whale once it was freed
The whale was noticed just before 9:00pm on Sunday night in south-west London.

Crew from the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) worked late into the evening as they tried to free the whale, which measured three to four metres long.

The baby whale had got itself trapped on a lock, a device used for raising and lowering boats.

The lock was in the London region of Richmond, roughly 13 kilometres south-west of Westminster.

A small crowd of people gathered to watch as the team worked to remove the whale from the lock, hosing the animal down, and then putting a large yellow float around it, video footage obtained by Reuters showed.

Nearly four hours later, the whale was successfully moved to a safer location, the BBC reported.

Vets had earlier on Sunday performed a check-up on the mammal, believed to be a baby minke whale.

The minke whale is a species commonly found in the North Atlantic Ocean.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Not sure where else to put this... is it Science? Medical? Psych?

‘Game changer’ treatment cuts heroin use
An opioid treatment being introduced around Australia has been dubbed a game changer after dozens of users at Melbourne’s safe injecting room stopped taking heroin.

The Richmond site was among the first in Australia to provide depot buprenorphine, a slow-release injection given weekly or monthly, outside clinical trials after it was approved for use in September 2019.

The treatment is designed to stop withdrawal symptoms, and in most cases blocks the effects of heroin altogether, helping to reduce and stop heroin use.

Medical director Dr Nico Clark has analysed the experiences of the first 41 people to try it at his clinic, finding that 59 per cent did not use heroin at the safe injecting room at all over eight months of monitoring from September 2019 to April 2020.

“For the majority of people, they either stop or have very, very little heroin use,” said Dr Clark, who believed it was the first injecting room in the world to administer the long-acting treatment.

Participants all used heroin at the injecting room 10 times in the 28 days leading up to treatment, on average. This dropped to an average of less than once in the first 28 days of treatment.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I have been researching reverse mortgages for a year now. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. In eight years I will be 70-years old. I am widowed. I will never earn more than $1100 a month. My credit is zero. I cannot afford a decent reliable car and each month is a rat race and juggling act to decide if I can pay either for (ex.) New linoleum for the kitchen floor, or a new, used dryer or a used replacement for a stove , and on and on. I cannot afford to buy quality replacement items, whether it is a car, or a lawn mower so I get what I can and live with or without it, endlessly replacing shit.

I own my very nice home free and clear now. And my knucklehead kids will both be okay without inheriting this house they would certainly fight over and dont need. I need. I need a decent, reliable vehicle and the means to be able to not scrape and do without (seriously) even the simplest things like a new mattress to replace my thrift-store bed or blinds for my windows - not to mention a few items of clothing and underwear, a working sewing machine and canning supplies.

I went into some detail - not for sympathy - but to explain that while it might seem petty to others - I dont want to spend whatever time I have continuing to scrape by. I want to be able to enjoy my remaining years, and I hope they are with health and vigor. I dont see another way but a reverse mortgage. Yes, they seem predatory on one hand, but as someone burdened with bad credit/no credit (a thin file) and a situation of long-term limited income and no need to pass on this small estate, this just seems like the way to go for me.

So I welcome any thoughts or the sharing of experiences.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Don't think twice, beyond making sure the RM isn't a rip-off.

The kids will be fine. A lot of us got by without any inheritance.

My mother is depleting the equity in the home she lives in, that her father left her. I don't mind in the slightest. She's gotta do what she's gotta do. End of story.

:bighug:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

roadscholar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm Don't think twice, beyond making sure the RM isn't a rip-off.

My mother is depleting the equity in the home she lives in, that her father left her. I don't mind in the slightest. She's gotta do what she's gotta do. End of story.

Thanks. After reading your response, I realize my ask is more to alleviate my guilt of not leaving my kids an inheritance. Its clear now.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm
roadscholar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm Don't think twice, beyond making sure the RM isn't a rip-off.

Thanks. After reading your response, I realize my ask is more to alleviate my guilt of not leaving my kids an inheritance. Its clear now.
I second the advice. We’re in the process of selling our valuable home (over-valued, but that’s the new buyers’ problem). We paid too much for a weird, quirky house (but with a spectacular view), that needs a ton of expensive work. When it’s all done we likely won’t have any money left from the sale of our old house, and when we’re gone, this house won’t fetch anywhere near what we have invested in it.

We told the kids we’re doing it for us, not them, and they’ll likely be left with very little. They’re all OK with it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:07 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm

I second the advice. We’re in the process of selling our valuable home (over-valued, but that’s the new buyers’ problem). We paid too much for a weird, quirky house (but with a spectacular view), that needs a ton of expensive work. When it’s all done we likely won’t have any money left from the sale of our old house, and when we’re gone, this house won’t fetch anywhere near what we have invested in it.

We told the kids we’re doing it for us, not them, and they’ll likely be left with very little. They’re all OK with it.
I wish my parents felt the same. They have a gorgeous home on a lake and agonize over every penny they spend on it, but have all sorts of insurance and investments set up for us kids when they're gone. Meanwhile, they work us to death with repair and maintenance tasks when we visit rather than paying a yard man or carpenter or whatever, instead of just enjoying a visit on the porch with us, looking at the lake.

My grandfather lived in a hovel and practically ate cat food for the last decade or so of his life so he could leave an inheritance. We appreciated the money for a down payment on our house, but it came at his expense. He loved traveling by car and some of my best memories were the summers I spent driving him all over hell and half of Georgia in his fancy Cadillac at his slightest whim. He stopped spending money on the Cadillac, got rid of it, down graded to, eventually, old beaters, and stopped traveling. All that gas! And eating out every meal! And hotels! I would have much preferred that he gave my kids the experience of traveling with him with no destination in mind rather than hoarding his every penny.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We put our money in a trust fund for the grandkids, but we certainly enjoy using it while we can. When we book a trip or put money into something else, we always say we are spending our grandkids' inheritance. ;)

Hubby's parents have been gone a while. They were more than comfortable, but spent it as they wanted. That was fine; it was their money. My parents lived a lot longer and had much less. They left very little, and that was fine, too. They needed it. I would have been horrified if they had sacrificed their own well being so that they could have left a little to us. My mother spent her last years in assisted living. I sold her house to pay for it when her savings ran out and was happy that the money they had invested in their home was there to help them in her last years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm I have been researching reverse mortgages for a year now. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. In eight years I will be 70-years old. I am widowed. I will never earn more than $1100 a month. My credit is zero. I cannot afford a decent reliable car and each month is a rat race and juggling act to decide if I can pay either for (ex.) New linoleum for the kitchen floor, or a new, used dryer or a used replacement for a stove , and on and on. I cannot afford to buy quality replacement items, whether it is a car, or a lawn mower so I get what I can and live with or without it, endlessly replacing shit.

I own my very nice home free and clear now. And my knucklehead kids will both be okay without inheriting this house they would certainly fight over and dont need. I need. I need a decent, reliable vehicle and the means to be able to not scrape and do without (seriously) even the simplest things like a new mattress to replace my thrift-store bed or blinds for my windows - not to mention a few items of clothing and underwear, a working sewing machine and canning supplies.

I went into some detail - not for sympathy - but to explain that while it might seem petty to others - I dont want to spend whatever time I have continuing to scrape by. I want to be able to enjoy my remaining years, and I hope they are with health and vigor. I dont see another way but a reverse mortgage. Yes, they seem predatory on one hand, but as someone burdened with bad credit/no credit (a thin file) and a situation of long-term limited income and no need to pass on this small estate, this just seems like the way to go for me.

So I welcome any thoughts or the sharing of experiences.
My father passed recently. Thankfully, my parents had a good plan for whomever survived their spouse. I helped get all the financial paperwork organized and sent in. I'm so grateful to have done that because my sister and I now know how much my Mom is living on monthly.

Patagoniagirl, now your children don't need to worry about your ability to meet your daily and emergency needs. If your children are like me and my sister, that's an enormous relief.

Thank dog Dad had a pension.

No one can live on $1100 a month. It's just not possible.

Your house is your house. You don't owe your children an inheritance. You've done what is necessary to be ok. Your knucklehead children can figure out their own lives.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I appreciate that. But, one can live on $1100/month. Where I live is doable. If you have no rent or mortgage payment, which I dont. Thank Dogs my late father's Dad left me $50k, three years ago. I bought this sweet house with cash. I can live okay if nothing goes wrong. That is the big challenge.

People do live on that, and less. This is the heart of America.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm I appreciate that. But, one can live on $1100/month. Where I live is doable. If you have no rent or mortgage payment, which I dont. Thank Dogs my late father's Dad left me $50k, three years ago. I bought this sweet house with cash. I can live okay if nothing goes wrong. That is the big challenge.

People do live on that, and less. This is the heart of America.
People live in hovels on that amount. The American Dream died with Reagan.

No one should have to work more than 40 hours and just get by. Most min wage earners can't afford a 1 bedroom appt.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I'm not going to go into the why's of my needing to make myself a chill pill, maybe some time in the future I'll make a thread and discuss it, but right now is not a good time for me to talk about it.

Here it is, in case you want to see my chill pill. It's working. I keep it on my laptop and it's right there for whenever I am on my Zoom meetings.
ChillPill.jpg
ChillPill.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I need some of those for my Zoom meetings!!!

Return to “General Stuff”