Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by zekeb »

covfefe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
roadscholar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:04 pm
zekeb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:23 am I use a 20 amp outlet with 15 amp circuit whenever I replace a receptacle. The 15 amp imported receptacles are too weak and many times don't hold the plug tight enough. When I worked at a hospital we were given the option, per healthcare code, to either use a green dot (read: very very expensive) receptacle or just use a 20 amp receptacle. Of course you are not permitted to switch to a 20 amp breaker if using 14 AWG wire.
Maybe one of you can explain a loopy circuit in our 1863 house:

There is a light in the ceiling at the top of the stairs, and a switch for it on the wall.

There is another at the foot of the stairs.

If you turn on the downstairs one, when you get upstairs both switch positions (on and off) leave the light on.

If the downstairs one is switched off, the upstairs one turns the light on and off as normal.

That just ties my brain in nots. I don't even understand how it's possible (beyond the obvious explanation of poltergeists.)
Somebody replaced a three-way switch with a two-way switch? I dunno, but cool beans on the antique home.
That would be hard to do without taping off a wire. I wonder if someone didn't just cut into the circuit and put a two-way switch in so they could shut the light off when they got to the top of the stairs. OTOH there might be an incorrectly wired 3-way switch at the top of the stairs.
Il factotum
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

+1 for Maybe.

Staph is some scary stuff. I hope the doc gets this under control quickly.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

In the last few years I have developed (?) a skin issue. It appears totally benign but cosmetically annoying. My upper torso began to resemble a brown marked Dalmatian. So to be safe, as soon as in-person appointments were available I saw a dermatologist who, to my surprise, diagnosed dry skin and to use an emollient instead of soap. (There’s some info online but I haven’t found an accurate match). Lo and behold not using soap seems to be (very slowly) causing the “moles”/ markings to diminish. I get quite confused if I don’t understand things and assume aging may be part of the cause. When I read what Maybenaut is going through it really puts it in perspective.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

We need to resurrect the It Sucks Getting Old Thread.

One of my colleagues submitted his application to join our elite group of Devoted Husbands Caring For Their Spouses (DHCFTS). His wife had a "stroke" in her optic nerve (blood clot cutting off supply to the nerves), has lost a quadrant of her vision, and is now color blind in one eye. It will be weeks and months of recovery until she stabilizes at her new normal.

Ugh.

But she's a honey badger and fighting her way through.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

zekeb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:00 am
covfefe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
roadscholar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:04 pm

Maybe one of you can explain a loopy circuit in our 1863 house:

There is a light in the ceiling at the top of the stairs, and a switch for it on the wall.

There is another at the foot of the stairs.

If you turn on the downstairs one, when you get upstairs both switch positions (on and off) leave the light on.

If the downstairs one is switched off, the upstairs one turns the light on and off as normal.

That just ties my brain in nots. I don't even understand how it's possible (beyond the obvious explanation of poltergeists.)
Somebody replaced a three-way switch with a two-way switch? I dunno, but cool beans on the antique home.
That would be hard to do without taping off a wire. I wonder if someone didn't just cut into the circuit and put a two-way switch in so they could shut the light off when they got to the top of the stairs. OTOH there might be an incorrectly wired 3-way switch at the top of the stairs.
It appears to me that the situation is the opposite. Generally cutting a wire, using a 2-way single pole single throw switch, or wrongly wired switch will give only have one state out of four that will turn on the light. That would be AND logic. Less permissive.
His situation is three combos out of four turns on the light if I read it correctly. That’s more permissive, OR logic.
A properly wired 3-way switch will have two combinations out of four that will turn on the lamp. That is XOR (exclusive OR) logic.
The only thing to really check without getting tools out is to verify that a 2-way switch (or double pole) isn’t present by making sure the switches don’t have ON-OFF markings on them.
A double pole switch in residential is usually used to switch 240 volt equipment. A 4-way is if you need more than two switching locations (you could have X switch locations by using two 3-ways and X-2 4-ways, or actually X 4-ways).
Older houses depending on the age of the wiring can be very problematic. Knob and Tube is safe as long as it isn’t disturbed.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:38 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm Look out, Myrtle Beach outlet malls, here we come. :boxing:
OMG, when did you turn into your parents? :towel:
I would be shocked if either of my parents had ever seen an outlet mall.

I got a very nice moisture-wicking, emerald green t-shirt in the Jockey store, fits perfectly and I love it. Then I gave ol' Wifehorn a miniature golf lesson (she beat me last year), and then it turned out she had a $50 gift card for Outback Steak House. So, umm ... yeah. Good day.

I don't know what moisture-wicking really is, but I'm out the door to go wick some moisture at the beach. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaught

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:39 am Jeez-O-Pete. One step forward, two steps back on the health front involving rosacea, flesh-eating bacteria, and a trip to the emergency room.

So now I still have this staph infection on my forehead, and I have to get a different antibiotic. I think I can still use the antibiotic ointment. I really doubt that is what caused the reaction.
At some point I developed a sensitivity to antibiotic salve, I noticed that if I used it I would get a rash and a small cut would take longer to heal, with itching, oozing etc. stopped the salve and wound would heal. Now Betadine is my best friend. Years later I developed a systematic rash (hives everywhere) after taking oral antibiotics. Doctor told me I have allergy to sulfa based antibiotics
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Since we're talking about wiring...

My husband and I bought our home — a 1957 single-story rambler — in 1980. One of my pet peeves was the fact that the two bedrooms, the room with my piano and our computers, and the living room all lacked overhead lights. Each room had an outlet controlled by one or two wall switches. Ok, I could live with that. EXCEPT the wall switches controlled the ENTIRE outlet, i.e., both plugs. So if I want to vacuum in the living room and use that outlet, I have to turn on the wall switch with also turns on the living room lamp. This wasn't a really major problem until we got computers. With the way the room was laid out where I had my desktop computer, it only made sense to plug it into the outlet which controlled a hanging lamp we had installed. So if you turned off the light when you left the room, that turned off my desktop computer! There was a switch on the cord to that hanging lamp, so we got used to using that and never turned off the wall switch.

In August my nephew, who's an electrician, was up here to help me clear some things from the garage. So I asked him if it was possible to change the outlets so that only one plug was controlled by the wall switch. He did some electrical testing and said "Sure!" I wish I had known that years ago! His father — my husband's brother — was also an electrician and my husband used to help him when he was going to college. They could have fixed things years ago. But now my husband and his brother are both gone. Fortunately, my nephew said he'd be glad to change things the next time he's in the Cities.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've had adverse reactions or allergies to just about every antibiotic out there, including sulfa drugs. I had a tooth "pulled" on Tuesday and am on a Z pack. It does seem to upset my stomach an hour or so after taking it, but only two more pills to go, so I'm sticking with it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Reddog wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:25 am
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:39 am Jeez-O-Pete. One step forward, two steps back on the health front involving rosacea, flesh-eating bacteria, and a trip to the emergency room.

So now I still have this staph infection on my forehead, and I have to get a different antibiotic. I think I can still use the antibiotic ointment. I really doubt that is what caused the reaction.
At some point I developed a sensitivity to antibiotic salve, I noticed that if I used it I would get a rash and a small cut would take longer to heal, with itching, oozing etc. stopped the salve and wound would heal. Now Betadine is my best friend. Years later I developed a systematic rash (hives everywhere) after taking oral antibiotics. Doctor told me I have allergy to sulfa based antibiotics
The only one I'm allergic to is Sulfa, like Andy it gives me stomach issues. I am on immune suppressant medication though, and every nick, cut, scrape, takes literally weeks if not months to heal. It really sucks. I still have marks from MOSQUITO BITES from 2-3 months ago, and the two ticks I picked up around the same time, immediately removed, are still actively healing. One of them still needs antibiotic cream at least every other day or so just to keep from backsliding.

Anyway, that really sucks Maybenaut and I'm sorry to hear it. Sending you some healing vibes and I hope things start clearing up.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

No RIP for this one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/william- ... 118957ee93
William H. Regnery II, a racist, reclusive multimillionaire who used his inherited fortune to finance vile white supremacist groups in the hopes of one day forming an American whites-only ethnostate, died earlier this month, his family and associates confirmed. He was 80 years old.

Regnery, whose family amassed riches from its right-wing publishing empire, died on July 2 in Florida after a “long battle with cancer,” his cousin Alfred, the former head of Regnery Publishing, confirmed to HuffPost.

Asked if he’d like to comment on his cousin’s life and legacy, Alfred Regnery replied: “No, it’s all been said before.”

In the final two decades of his life, William Regnery funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars — and likely much more — to extremist groups. He is often credited with being one of the main funders of the so-called alt-right, the resurgent fascist movement that gained momentum during the rise of former President Donald Trump.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Allergy update: The steroid wore off, but the Bactrim was still in my system. My face swelled up like a pumpkin this morning, so I had to go back to the ER. I took benadryl before I left home, and my tongue and throat (thank Jeebus) we’re not involved. Fortunately I didn’t need an IV - just a big steroid shot in the ass, and five days of prednisone.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:56 am No RIP for this one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/william- ... 118957ee93
Definitely a RIHMF.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:32 pm Allergy update: The steroid wore off, but the Bactrim was still in my system. My face swelled up like a pumpkin this morning, so I had to go back to the ER. I took benadryl before I left home, and my tongue and throat (thank Jeebus) we’re not involved. Fortunately I didn’t need an IV - just a big steroid shot in the ass, and five days of prednisone.
(((((big hugs))))) for Maybenaut. Ugh.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:56 pm:yeahthat:
:bighug: for Maybenaut!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m so lucky. You guys are the best! :bighug: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm I’m so lucky. You guys are the best! :bighug: :bighug:
We are the BEST. But, I don't have your scenic views .. however I do have random drive-by shootings.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm I’m so lucky. You guys are the best! :bighug: :bighug:
So did the steroids work? Is your face all swole up like a punkin' still?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Monkeypox in Dallas!

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:32 pm
So did the steroids work? Is your face all swole up like a punkin' still?
Working. Still a little swollen, but my eyes are shaped like triangles. So more like a jack o lantern.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Don't put a candle in your mouth! :eek:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:49 pm Don't put a candle in your mouth! :eek:
I’m the world’s worst hypochondriac. I’m always worried that I’m overreacting, so the swollen face was helpful to me in a no-this-isn’t-all-in-your-imagination kind of way.

Return to “General Stuff”