Hijack This Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 pm
The USPS may be an anachronism, but I say let's keep on dancin!

https://youtu.be/QtTj4cramPM
:? I would not have guessed you even would know the music group No Doubt. I was like.. "what?"
You might be cool, after all. :lol:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am

:? I would not have guessed you even would know the music group No Doubt. You might be cool, after all. :lol:
I got 99 problems, and bein cool ain't one. :)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am

:? I would not have guessed you even would know the music group No Doubt. I was like.. "what?"
You might be cool, after all. :lol:
Elaboration on this - my musical tastes span +50 years, and all genres with rock, rap, r&b, and pop sharing the top, followed by jazz, international (afro-beat, reggae, norte, pan) and c&w. Classical is my least favorite, but I do have some selections I like. I am by no means a musicologist. I'm a nuts and bolts guy. I heat up the mics, keep the lights on, and set levels. I have smelled far too many armpits and ass's in small rooms filled with keyboards, drum kits, and dope. But, I got a good education in music in the process.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:58 am I got 99 problems, and bein cool ain't one. :)
Define "cool"
freaks and geeks (remember that show?) -- we are the smartest mofos in the room, right?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:25 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:58 am I got 99 problems, and bein cool ain't one. :)
Define "cool"
freaks and geeks (remember that show?) -- we are the smartest mofos in the room, right?
We are.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 am Elaboration on this - my musical tastes span +50 years, and all genres with rock, rap, r&b, and pop sharing the top, followed by jazz, international (afro-beat, reggae, norte, pan) and c&w. Classical is my least favorite, but I do have some selections I like. I am by no means a musicologist. I'm a nuts and bolts guy. I heat up the mics, keep the lights on, and set levels. I have smelled far too many armpits and ass's in small rooms filled with keyboards, drum kits, and dope. But, I got a good education in music in the process.
We are in the hijack thread so we can talk of anything, therefore...

I can't play any instrument, nor can I sing. The first instrument I wanted to learn was the violin (6th grade) and my evil step-mother denied me with a very nasty look "violins are for girls!".

So, instead, I did staging, lighting, and audio for our school productions.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Yeah, but those skills are employable. ;)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:55 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:24 am Elaboration on this - my musical tastes span +50 years, and all genres with rock, rap, r&b, and pop sharing the top, followed by jazz, international (afro-beat, reggae, norte, pan) and c&w. Classical is my least favorite, but I do have some selections I like. I am by no means a musicologist. I'm a nuts and bolts guy. I heat up the mics, keep the lights on, and set levels. I have smelled far too many armpits and ass's in small rooms filled with keyboards, drum kits, and dope. But, I got a good education in music in the process.
We are in the hijack thread so we can talk of anything, therefore...

I can't play any instrument, nor can I sing. The first instrument I wanted to learn was the violin (6th grade) and my evil step-mother denied me with a very nasty look "violins are for girls!".

So, instead, I did staging, lighting, and audio for our school productions.
I was first chair AM/FM/record player at my HS. neeners.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 am Yeah, but those skills are employable. ;)
Yeah, but ... craft doesn't get paid doodley.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 am I was first chair AM/FM/record player at my HS. neeners.
LOL

I still probably out go you.

When I was in HS, we made a auto-timed slide-show with synced music as an introduction for incoming freshman in our auditorium.

Did you do that? :biggrin:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 am
roadscholar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 am Yeah, but those skills are employable. ;)
Oh, I dunno. It paid me enough to do this, at my own expense:

Gala frontal shot red.jpeg
Gala frontal shot red.jpeg (478.71 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 am I was first chair AM/FM/record player at my HS. neeners.
LOL

When I was in HS, we made a auto-timed slide-show with synced music as an introduction for incoming freshman in our auditorium.

High schools in the pain haindull of Flawduh did not have slide shows with music. We had football and a school band in that order.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 am
Oh, I dunno. It paid me enough to do this, at my own expense:

Gala frontal shot red.jpeg
That's pretty awesome. For a very brief period I was a roadie for ELP, but I could not keep up with the partying. I joined the service after that. Much more my speed. Didn't pay very much, but more than I got setting up and breaking down stages.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sigh. So beauty, RS. Did you get to use it?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am Oh, I dunno. It paid me enough to do this, at my own expense:
That’s impressive. :clap:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 am
neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 am
LOL

High schools in the pain haindull of Flawduh did not have slide shows with music. We had football and a school band in that order.
Yeah, and guess who was the video person for football games and the marching band. Being the tech kid was the the only thing that saved my geek/dorky ass from harm -- because nobody would F with me, because I had the faculty in my corner. LOL
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:57 am
Yeah, and guess who was the video person for football games and the marching band. Being the tech kid was the the only thing that saved my geek/dorky ass from harm -- because nobody would F with me, because I had the faculty in my corner. LOL
I don't think video was even invented in 1969 when I granulated (purposeful misspelling). I would be surprised if the school could afford filming games. But, I was also just 16 then, and there were a lot of things I didn't know. Ahead scholastically, but far down in the social food chain. OTOH, I had a job at a "gentleman's club" tucked into the bayou which comes with a brand of bad boy cred. People gave me lip at school, but from waaaay over there. You just roll with it.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Kate520 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:50 am Sigh. So beauty, RS. Did you get to use it?
Not yet. The photo is from the inaugural ball for the new stage in September 2019, dubbed "The Kestrel" that evening. The only play we managed to mount on the finished stage before the COVID era was Merry Wives of Windsor, which I didn't audition for:

IMG_6635 red.jpeg
IMG_6635 red.jpeg (208.15 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
I was cast as the Earl of Kent in King Lear, which was canceled midway through rehearsals in March 2020. We are planning to try to produce it again in October 2021, if our Company (Baltimore Shakespeare Factory*) manages to survive that long.

*Donations are encouraged, to help keep our stage from falling into disuse and the tradition of "early practices" Shakespeare alive.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:27 pm I don't think video was even invented in 1969 when I granulated (purposeful misspelling). I would be surprised if the school could afford filming games. But, I was also just 16 then, and there were a lot of things I didn't know. Ahead scholastically, but far down in the social food chain. OTOH, I had a job at a "gentleman's club" tucked into the bayou which comes with a brand of bad boy cred. People gave me lip at school, but from waaaay over there. You just roll with it.
I think in '69, they were still on Super-8 film(with no sound). I went through HS in the 80s. :biggrin:

//dance

tek

Post by tek »

Actually, 'home' videotape recorders came out in 1964-1965: https://www.rewindmuseum.com/reeltoreelvideo.htm

We had a Sony reel-to-reel VTR in middle school in 1971, IIRC it looked similar to some of those Sony units but was more industrial (because middle-schoolers)
sony_VTR.jpg
sony_VTR.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
filly

Post by filly »

Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court on Monday left in place a lower court order that blocked the conservative group Judicial Watch from deposing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton about her use of a private email account in a lawsuit related to the 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

A federal appeals court ruled last August that Clinton cannot be compelled to appear for a deposition in a lawsuit about State Department emails, a ruling that came after a federal judge said earlier in 2020 that the former secretary must appear for a deposition in the case.
The court's denial on Monday was unsigned.

Judicial Watch had asked to depose Clinton, top aide Cheryl Mills and other former State Department employees in a case seeking public access to the emails from the State Department.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/29/politics ... index.html

The federal judge was...Royce Lamberth.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm Actually, 'home' videotape recorders came out in 1964-1965: https://www.rewindmuseum.com/reeltoreelvideo.htm

We had a Sony reel-to-reel VTR in middle school in 1971, IIRC it looked similar to some of those Sony units but was more industrial (because middle-schoolers)

sony_VTR.jpg
That's a weird looking box "VTR" or whatever.
How much did the consumer version cost in the day?
tek

Post by tek »

from smecc.org:
Sony Videocorder Net Price Schedule for 2000 Series May 1967
CV-2000D Videocorder with walnut base $695.00
CV-2000 Videocorder (portable) $730.00
TCV-2010 Videocorder with built in monitor/TV )portable) $995.00
TCV-2020 Videocorder with built in monitor/TV in Walnut case, with timer $1150.00
The camera was an extra $350, as far as I can tell..

So a basic "home movie" setup would be $695+$350 = $1045, or about $8200 in today's dollars.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texoma's Homepage
@TexomasHomepage
Oscar Mayer offering free shoelaces that smell like bacon. Would you wear shoes that smelled like bacon?
What? Every nearby dog would be straining to get at your feet. Also, some cats.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

That was my immediate thought as well. The dogs would love you.

Return to “General Stuff”